CAP 15 CAP 4 - Part 4 - Tertiary Ability Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The loneliness of the long-distance TL

------

This will be a single bold vote. Make sure that you bold your vote and nothing else! A typical vote might look like the following:
My preferred ability

Any comments that the voter has would go below the votes in non-bold text. Bold text is used to determine what the user's votes are, so none of the supplementary text should be in bold.
Please post only your votes in this thread. Do not respond to other posts, or your posts will be moderated and you may be warned. You are allowed to say whatever you like in relation to your vote at the bottom of your post, but please do not look to begin a discussion. Keep those comments to #cap on IRC.

This poll will be open for 24 hours starting from the post following this one.

When voting, use only the ability! The list of possible votes includes:
No Guard
No Competitive Ability
Below is CAP 4 so far:

Name: Risky Business
(formerly "Living On the Edge")

General Description: This Pokémon is very risky to play, but very rewarding if played correctly.

Justification: Many of the Pokémon that are successful in OU are relatively easy to play or have great "safe" options (e.g. U-turn). Yet, many other Pokémon look very powerful, but are less successful than they could be because of some large risks involved (e.g. Hydreigon), and some aren't successful at all (e.g. Honchkrow). This self-balancing concept intends to explore what it takes for a risky Pokémon to be successful, and how much inherent risk a Pokémon can get away with. It should be emphasized that this concept is NOT about luck management, but rather, it is about what the user can afford to do given his/her opponent's options, and vice versa.

Questions To Be Answered:

• What is the relationship between risk and potential consequences, both positive and negative?
  • What kinds of inherently risky tactics are successful in the OU metagame?
  • Do risky Pokémon need some form of safe options (e.g. switch-ins) to be successful in OU, or can it get away with having few really safe options?
  • How does Substitute, a well-known "safe" move with nearly universal distribution, impact how this Pokémon is built and played?
  • How do existing Pokémon use and deal with risky situations?
  • Can risky Pokémon be played well in the early game, or are they better off put into action later on?
  • How do different playstyles interact with risky situations?
Typing: Bug / Psychic
Abilities: Weak Armour / Illusion / TBD

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No Guard

Let's take a risk with this CAP and see if we can do something truly deep and truly outside-the-box. That is, after all, what we're here to do.

No guard
one imprtant thing that people seem to forget is that if we only stick with ilussion and weak armor it will be SUPER EASY to detect what ability the opponent runs, I mean if you see CAP4 it obviously has weak armor and if you see a ferrothorn using a bug move well then it has illusion. With no Guard this won't be a problem just saying.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
No Competitive Ability

As much as I wanted to have another ability, No Guard really is worse than nothing. I don't think it benefits the concept, and clearly has the potential to be too good or too bad depending on our future choices. Balancing the two abilities we already have is enough.

No Competitive Ability

The main difference between Golurk and CAP4 is that CAP4 is going to have the stats and movepool necessary to fit in with BW2 OU. No Guard will easily act as the ability of choice should we allow it, at least over Weak Armor.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
No Guard

Because seriously who at this point still gives a fuck about weak armor?

No Guard

I find it ridiculous how Motor Drive was for the most part not even acknowledged for discussion in the last topic.

As it stands, I don't see either No Guard or No Competitive Ability doing anything significant other than still keeping your opponent guessing when they know you're not an Illusion variant, and for that purpose, theres no reason to not have No Guard really. The ONLY reason I'm voting No Guard is because Illusion is there. Thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)