CAP 15 CAP 4 - Part 8 - Name Poll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Names.

Recall that this poll operates on IRV, the details of which are outlined here. This means that you can up-vote your favorite typing and downvote your least favorite. Be aware that order does matter in your votes! The first line is your favorite, the last line is your least favorite. Make sure you vote properly. Make sure that you bold your votes and nothing else! A typical vote might look like the following:
Most Preferred
Second Most Preferred
Least Preferred

Any comments that the voter has would go below the votes in non-bold text. Bold text is used to determine what the user's votes are, so none of the supplementary text should be in bold.
Please post only your votes in this thread. Do not respond to other posts, or your posts will be moderated and you warned. If you feel compelled to say something in your own vote, you may still do so, but don't try to start a discussion. Keep discussion to #cap.

This poll will be open for 24 hours starting from the Topic Leader's vote.

When voting, use only the below listed name! The list of possible votes, in alphabetical order in which they were submitted, is:

Alarkael
Aurumoth
Azraluna
Divinisect
Imagoria
Lepidivine
Magnamoth
Motatron
Mothereal
Panoptera
Prymoptera
Psychēcies
Raflyel
Retriarch
Samaoth
Sephimoth

I also want to submit a name:
Final Submission

Alarkael

The name is a 3-part portmanteau 'ala-ark-ael' with 'ala' reference alatus - the Latin for winged. Also 'ark' referring to arch which means leader/ruler/chief as in archangel or monarch. Also 'ael' from the names of the archangels Gabriel, Rafael, Samael etc, makes the name sound more biblical and ancient I think.
Final Submission

Aurumoth

(Aurum + Moth)

Aurum is the latin translation for gold. KoA's design relies heavily on gold and is lightly based on angels which gold is associated with. Moth is the suffix because of bug typing and the moth like appearance of the art.
Final Submission

Azraluna

From Azrael (biblical Archangel of Death) and luna (moon or a reference to the luna moth). I think it sounds beautiful.
Final Submission
Divinisect

Divine + Insect
As previously said, I always prefer the simpler approach.
Final Submission
Imagoria

Been trying to figure out a good name incorporating Imago, the final stage in the life cycle of moths and butterflies, but also the Latin word for image.

That comes out to 8 letters. I was tempted to go with gloria for the second word of the portmanteau, but that seems too common. Instead, I went with the Latin word for Victory, victoria.

Victoria seems fitting, given its legendary BST. The inclusion of Imago enables some trivia. If we choose to give it pre-evolutions, its name suggests it is the final in the line. But if we do not choose to give it pre-evolutions, its name can suggest it is the best bug there is.
Final Submission: Lepidivine

Just wanted to make it official.
The others don't have the same ring, so as of now I'll truncate it to Magnamoth and hope for the best. A little Digimon-esque with the "Magna" prefix, but cliche works for me. Plus there's a cute reference to the word "magnum" in there.

Final Submission
Final Submission

Motatron

A combination of Mot(Dutch for moth) or Motte(German for moth) and Metatron(a very high ranked angel)
Final Submission:

Mothereal

Thanks bugmaniacbob for the advice.
Well... can't come up with anything good based on Hebrew mysticism.

Final Submission

I'm gonna go with Panoptera

Combines the -optera ending from Lepidoptera with the idea of the Panopticon, literally meaning "observing all," which is a famous, often attempted to be implemented, theoretical prison design of Jeremy Bentham.
I'm going to suggest Prymoptera
Prime/Primal (first, ancient) + Lepidoptera (the order of insects including moths and butterflies)

I know I'm not the first one to use Lepidoptera - sorry to anyone who feels stolen from. There are some very cool names floating around by the way.

Edit: Oh yeah, and this'll be my Final Submission since I'm unlikely to have much more free time before this closes.
Well, I'm going to try again. I hope BMB was right about the whole "psyche" thing.

Final Submission

Psychēcies

Psyche (butterfly, Ancient Greek) + acies (insight, Latin).

Psyche also references the whole psychic thing (duh) so I'm surprised I haven't seen more people using it. Acies is being used to reference the risk part of CAP4 and because it flows well.

Edit: ninja'd by BMB, hopefully it won't cause any problems
You know, considering the working slate, my submission might actually have a good chance of winning. Oh, what the hell:

Final Submission: Raflyel

"Raphael". 'Nuff said.
I guess this is my Final Submission, then.
My submission is Samaoth.

In Jewish lore, Samael is the name of the angel of death and one of the seven archangels (according to wikipedia - if it's wrong let me know!). -oth is for moth, and because it sounds better than Samaesect.

If I manage to find a way to make it sound better within 24 hours I'll edit it in here.
Final Submission

Sephimoth
(Seraph or Sephiroth + moth)

I think the name fits well into the pokemon archetypes of names (for the most part) matching what the pokemon is supposed to represent. Seraph and Sephiroth because of the 6 winged angel theme we have going on in the design and the obvious Moth since its the type of bug the design also originates from.
-----

Below is CAP 4 so far:

Name: Risky Business
(formerly "Living On the Edge")

General Description: This Pokémon is very risky to play, but very rewarding if played correctly.

Justification: Many of the Pokémon that are successful in OU are relatively easy to play or have great "safe" options (e.g. U-turn). Yet, many other Pokémon look very powerful, but are less successful than they could be because of some large risks involved (e.g. Hydreigon), and some aren't successful at all (e.g. Honchkrow). This self-balancing concept intends to explore what it takes for a risky Pokémon to be successful, and how much inherent risk a Pokémon can get away with. It should be emphasized that this concept is NOT about luck management, but rather, it is about what the user can afford to do given his/her opponent's options, and vice versa.

Questions To Be Answered:

• What is the relationship between risk and potential consequences, both positive and negative?
  • What kinds of inherently risky tactics are successful in the OU metagame?
  • Do risky Pokémon need some form of safe options (e.g. switch-ins) to be successful in OU, or can it get away with having few really safe options?
  • How does Substitute, a well-known "safe" move with nearly universal distribution, impact how this Pokémon is built and played?
  • How do existing Pokémon use and deal with risky situations?
  • Can risky Pokémon be played well in the early game, or are they better off put into action later on?
  • How do different playstyles interact with risky situations?
Typing: Bug / Psychic
Abilities: Weak Armour / Illusion / No Guard
Base Stats: 110 HP / 120 Atk / 99 Def / 117 SpA / 60 SpD / 94 Spe

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Aurumoth
Motatron
Retriarch
Raflyel
Psychēcies
Sephimoth
Imagoria
Alarkael
Mothereal
Azraluna
Samaoth
Prymoptera
Panoptera
Divinisect
Magnamoth
Lepidivine

Vote.

Sephimoth
Alarkael
Imagoria
Aurumoth
Prymoptera
Samaoth
Lepidivine
Azraluna
Magnamoth
Divinisect
Panoptera
Motatron
Raflyel
Retriarch
Psychēcies
Mothereal

Good God these are all awful. I mean, the last 8 sound really awkward. Not really happy with any of these names.

Mothereal
Divinisect
Sephimoth
And if Glorifly would've made the list it be here. I wonder why it wasn't chosen.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Aurumoth
Retriarch

Meh, the only ones i can really see fitting out of your slate.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aurumoth
Motatron
Retriarch
Raflyel
Psychēcies
Alarkael
Sephimoth

Mothereal
Imagoria
Prymoptera
Panoptera
Divinisect

Azraluna
Samaoth

Magnamoth
Lepidivine

Azraluna
Sephimoth
Mothereal
Divinisect
Retriarch
Aurumoth
Imagoria
Magnamoth
Alarkael
Prymoptera
Panoptera
Samaoth
Lepidivine
Motatron
Psychēcies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)