CAP 15 CAP 4 - Part 8 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I probably ought to single out ones that I like or something

Lepidivine

Latin reference + biological clarity + clear expression of power. I really wanted to get a "Lepid-" name, and this one has delivered. My only gripe with it is the four syllables (generally I am of the opinion that two is optimal, and three excessive)

Retriarch

I like how it combines both Bug and Psychic in "arch" to an extent - indeed, the "-arch" as a suffix is one of my favourites. Not so sure about the application of "Retri-" but it's still pretty solid.

Divinisect / Divinimoth

Lumping these together because they're basically the same corruption. I like the incorporation of the divine (and contrary to other opinions, I do think that the "divini-" prefix is far superior to "divin-"), though I'm not terribly keen on the common suffix. As with the above, I'm also not terribly sure about the four syllables, but the middle I is necessary to avoid consonant clashing.

Motatron

Yay, obscure Jewish mysticism references. I like the way you have used the name, though I still think that "Mothatron" would be better in order to make the moth reference clearer. The only problem with Metatron as a name is that most people's immediate reaction is to think of the robotic rather than the divine, but hey, that's the charm of a complex name.

Sephimoth

Well, if I'm going to include a Sephi- name, this is probably the one. And I think I just might, you know.

Magnanimoth

While I, ahem, love this name, it is too long by one letter, and as such unsalvageable. It's a shame. Possibly you could try the -mous -> -moth conversion on some different words, to get things like Enormoth, Ginormoth, or Infamoth (those are just some off the top of my head)

Although, Venomoth has kind of already done that with the word venomous, so there's the issue of precedence. But it's a lovely idea should you wish to continue with it.

Samaoth

I like the incorporation of Samael here, as I do most obscure biblical references. Samael is a pretty hard word to portmanteau with, well, anything, but you seem to have managed it, albeit in a roundabout way, which is the main thing I don't like about the name. Not sure if you could hypothetically do a similar thing with Sariel or Azrael, as they seem like easier names to stick other things on.

Deusect

Only -sect name I'm really willing to consider, since Genesect is everywhere and kind of dampens the party (nobody uses Parasect or Venomoth so the issue is not so great with them). Mainly because it incorporates Deus, which is nice, simple Latin, though I'd ask for a suffix change.

Motherian

I like the name, though I question the etymology, as the word therian is primarily associated with mammalian connotations, rather than any great spiritual level. I would advise a change to "Mothereal" as per Moth + Ethereal, which I think fits a tad better. Of course, it's up to you.

Note that here are some elementary criteria I'm using to pick these names:

- References both the Bug and the Psychic-type in some capacity
- Basic entomological accuracy of names (eg. no flying arthropods have a carapace, etc)
- Doesn't have a common name ending (generally this will be -moth or -sect, though I have made plenty of exceptions)
- Last but not least, extremely pretentious or obscure or asinine roots.

Finally, some names I came up with that may give you some ideas, or at least, give you an idea of what I am looking for:

Behemoth (Huge, powerful entity, biblical word, also contains moth)
Cytodel (Cyto + Citadel)
Asmothdeus (Asmodeus + Moth)
Papillord (Papilio (Latin for moth) + Lord)
Mothereign (Moth + Sovereign)
Cuirassect (Cuirass + Insect)
Leraphiel (Lepidoptera + Seraphiel)

... you can probably continue the list for yourself. Feel free to take any of these, as you please.

Continuez tout droit.

EDIT: Also, here's an interesting note: the Ancient Greek word for "Moth" or "Butterfly" is "ψυχή" (or rather, "Psyché"). Have fun with that.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Throwing my support behind Glorifly, Purifly, and Seraphid.

These names represent the bug well without going too overboard on the naming, imo.

I have a particular liking towards the name 'Retriarch'. Good job on that! XD

Anyway so here's mine...

Apocalyx

It's basically a mix of the words apocalypse and calyx [Latin word meaning 'shell' or 'husk']. The reason behind the name is quite simple.

Well, this particular Pokemon is meant to be played in a 'high risk, high reward' fashion. So, it could possibly spell doom for your opponent or for you depending on what move you make. Calyx is there because its wings resemble shells; it blends well, too! Although I'd like to think the that the Pokemon's body is purely made out of shell --kinda like Shedinja-- that's not the case, I suppose. I guess it would be very fitting if it were so...>:

When I was talking about this particular picture back in the art poll, I would call it Seraphibug. The pieces for that are pretty obvious; it might be too simple, but simple might be what we're ultimately looking for here.

Alternate suggestion: Inseraph (Insect + Seraphim, last syllable sounds a bit like "wrath" which would work for the stats and the concept)

Also, here's an interesting note: the Ancient Greek word for "Moth" or "Butterfly" is "ψυχή" (or rather, "Psyché"). Have fun with that.
Psyché? Omigosh, that totally covers both sides of the coin for this thing! I vote that the final submission includes that somehow! Risyché?

Final Submission

Seramysque

Sare - uh - misk

It comes from seraph/seraphim, mystique, which is the French word for mystic, and risque, which is the French word for risk. I think it flows rather easily. Tell me what you think!

On another note, throwing my support behind Deusect.

What about Aurumoth?

Aurum is latin for gold and this design is based heavily on the color of gold as well as angels which gold is associated with. And then moth as the suffix. I think it sounds really cool when you place the emphasis on the "um". AurUMoth.

What do you guys think?

Also throwing some support behind Apocalyx. Might just be my favorite submission so far.

Hmmm... how's Etheropod? I'm fusing Ethereal - in the mystical sense due to his angelic and psychic nature - and Arthropod. I realise it's not a true arthropod (no jointed legs), but it's not exactly a true seraphim either.

Final Submission

Also, throwing down my support for Glorifly and Apocalyx :) I'm not a fan of all the suggested ones that just use "seraph" and just add a syllable to the end, they are't imaginative and they don;t flow all that well.

Moteus

Combination of the dutch word for moth (Motte) and the latin word for god (deus). I remember someone suggesting a relationship between it and arceus. Be a nice little trivia piece.

Proposing Mystifly

The origins should be obvious. Why I like it more than the other "-fly" names at the moment is that it simply seems more mysterious. To me, the design conveys nothing more than that the true nature of what you're dealing with will never be clear to any mortal observer. I think that this makes "mystify" a better fit than some of the other words being thrown around.

And because its doubtful I come up with much better...

Final Submission

Base Speed

What a load of BS!
I'm going to suggest Prymoptera
Prime/Primal (first, ancient) + Lepidoptera (the order of insects including moths and butterflies)

I know I'm not the first one to use Lepidoptera - sorry to anyone who feels stolen from. There are some very cool names floating around by the way.

Edit: Oh yeah, and this'll be my Final Submission since I'm unlikely to have much more free time before this closes.

I had the idea Betidoptera, bet > gamble > risk/reward and also being a "pun" with Lepidoptera but, sadly, this is to long. To shorten, I had the idea Betoptera which, sadly, just doesn't feel right.

Final Submission

Aurumoth

(Aurum + Moth)

Aurum is the latin translation for gold. KoA's design relies heavily on gold and is lightly based on angels which gold is associated with. Moth is the suffix because of bug typing and the moth like appearance of the art.

Final Submission
Serphold

A combination of Seraph and Fold (If you saw the supporting art you know where this comes from) for a result that's a play-on-words for six-fold (Six wings)

Samaoth

I like the incorporation of Samael here, as I do most obscure biblical references. Samael is a pretty hard word to portmanteau with, well, anything, but you seem to have managed it, albeit in a roundabout way, which is the main thing I don't like about the name. Not sure if you could hypothetically do a similar thing with Sariel or Azrael, as they seem like easier names to stick other things.
I've been tinkering around with Samaoth (I've tried with other angels, but since they all end in -el it's not that easy to find something that works with any of the others that doesn't work with Samael).

Anyways, I've been considering Samaelytra (elytra are hardened forewings, techically a beetle term, but who is to say that CAP4 isn't just a flying beetle?), but I feel it's too long to pronounce. Samalary or Samalate have also been considerations (meaning wings) but they sound kinda meh.

I'll keep thinking. By the way, when is the deadline? So i know when to submit my final submission.

EDIT: Wow, so many final submissions already!

A few (/too many) ideas...

Conumbra
cocoon, conundrum, umbra

Moithai / Mothai / Moiraith / Moraith
moth, Moirai, wraith

Elumo / Elumar / Elumoth / Elumith / Elumyth / Elumbra
illuminate, Elohim, moth, lunar, St. Elmo's Fire, myth, umbra

Azrohim
astral, Azrael, Elohim

Astruga / Astrega / Astrumos / Strumos
astral, struggle, astray, illuminate, strega (Italian for witch)

Apsoro / Astoro
Apsara, astral, soar, story

Stelica
stella, angelic

Faluna / Falune
fallen angel, luna, falena (Italian for moth)

Nostyx / Naustyx / Noctyx / Nauctyx
nocturnal, Styx, navigate

Seraphyx
seraph, Styx, sphinx

Lumora
luminescent, aurora

Optiluna / Optiluca
optic, noctiluminescent, lepidoperta, luna

Psylens / Psylesta
psychic, silence, lens, celestial

Cocunar
cocoon, lunar

Ilken
ilk, silken, silkworm

Magnanimoth

While I, ahem, love this name, it is too long by one letter, and as such unsalvageable. It's a shame. Possibly you could try the -mous -> -moth conversion on some different words, to get things like Enormoth, Ginormoth, or Infamoth (those are just some off the top of my head)

Although, Venomoth has kind of already done that with the word venomous, so there's the issue of precedence. But it's a lovely idea should you wish to continue with it.
The others don't have the same ring, so as of now I'll truncate it to Magnamoth and hope for the best. A little Digimon-esque with the "Magna" prefix, but cliche works for me. Plus there's a cute reference to the word "magnum" in there.

Final Submission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)