CAP 15 CAP 4 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

*gust of wind*
Final Submission

I guess this is it?
Thanks everyone for the input, and my regrets for not being able to incorporate some of the changes (I cannot for the life of me fix the horns).
Well here's hoping that more submissions will come in, then we'll have a good fierce competition. =)
Good luck everyone!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Final Submission

I had fun making this sprite, although it was certainly a challenge. I ended up going in a completely different direction than my first pose, and chose to go with a very difficult wing positioning. With KOA's design, no wing positions are easy for spriters, but the pose I chose made the wings especially hard, particularly on the back sprite. At full size, this pose would be tough to render the back sprite curves and perspective correctly -- in small pixel form, it was one of the hardest spriting challenges I've ever faced. There are some things I wish looked a little better, but it was fun to work on and I'm generally happy with how it turned out.

Like I have done on many of my past sprites, here's an animation of the progression of my front sprite as I worked it from the first linework, through all the changes made based on feedback in this thread, up to the final version you see above. For anyone just getting into spriting, this may be helpful for you to see how a sprite can be "built up" in steps.

Thank you to all the commenters in this thread, who took the time to analyze our miniature pixelized works of art. Without feedback, none of us could improve our sprites and our spriting skills. There are some great sprites in this thread, and whichever one we choose will represent the project well!

Doug, I know your submission has been finalized, but I noticed that your sprite is missing the mouth/nose slit that the concept art has.

ICC, great work; I'm rooting for you!

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
24 hours left!

Movepools are done, so get those subs in quickly! Currently we only have three...

Admittedly, all of them so far are pretty damn good. But I wouldn't say no to a super-late entry to blow them all out of the water.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Did a bunch more nitpick-y touch-ups to it. I most notably removed that marking on the back of Aurumoth's head, since that was just giving me trouble.

Comments go out to Eagle4, on the fact that the shiny sprite does not necessarily have to relate to the original concept, and to ICC, who (by coincidence or not) used my previous shiny colors.

(Okay, so my sprite's floating higher than the others, but you can see the size and style comparisons, right?)

Final Submission aaa ogod deadline

will probably make many a quiet tweak and update to the sprites in this post but I have to have something!

Lots of tiny tweaks happened, the most notable being a spunkier shiny.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok bored of waiting (also I prefer to start on the half-hour than on the twenty-to)

Locking this. The five final submissions will be polled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)