CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have further elaborated on my previous concept:

I think it looks a lot better now.

It is supposed to be a enchanter of sand, that lives in deserts and controls the sand to use as attacks, shields, etc. it's kind of- backspace backspace backspace- It's impossibly hard to see, but it has a hole between the four claws on each hand, from which it can fire attacks.

Does it look interesting? should i try to make it look better, or should i scrap it and go for a new idea?

You know, this kind of reminds me of a Beta Metroid. At any rate, it looks like something that should learn leech life and giga drain.

Also, to Syprus, by not looking like a conventional pokemon, wouldn't that be another way that it breaks the mold?

In my opinion, no. We're not trying to break the mold about how the pokemon needs to look, every pokemon has to look like a pokemon. We're only breaking the mold about the type. In other words, we're doing the opposite of what Rock types are built as.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just want to say something about "eeveelutions" in general.

If regids's work does become an eeveelution, that would basically limit the whole base stat ratings. we would be limited to the 130/110 stats, and would affect the base stat totals too much. Even if you want to break the mold, we're only planning on breaking the mold in stats and movepool. We are not looking to break the mold in any other category. Therefore, eeveelutions should be looked much more in depth before considering it.

Ok, I have further elaborated on my previous concept:

I think it looks a lot better now.

It is supposed to be a enchanter of sand, that lives in deserts and controls the sand to use as attacks, shields, etc. it's kind of- backspace backspace backspace- It's impossibly hard to see, but it has a hole between the four claws on each hand, from which it can fire attacks.

Does it look interesting? should i try to make it look better, or should i scrap it and go for a new idea?
For me it looks like an Electivire on diet xD

I really like Cerbi's and RegiDS' but they are all pretty good (out of finalized art, haven't looked in thread). Keep it up guys!

Ok, Heres a priliminary concept sheet I threw together for a non-humaoid special rock Pokemon. Theres a load of diffrent options on the sheet, so opinions on what path to follow would be awesome.

Also, here are the other two ideas I posted a while back. I need to choose one for my final so opinions, again, would really help.

Non-Humanoid Gem sorta thing:

Comet Pokemon idea (sorry about the lined paper, idea hit while I was working :P)

More Humanoid looking Poke:

Cheers guys!

Any feedback on mine? Please? It doesn't even have to be positive... just some sort of opinion. D:

Whining aside, Cadalgold's is my favorite out of all the other entries. I'm not going to say anything about Regi's design looking too much like a rock-type eeveelution because that topic's already been beaten to death, but no matter how I look at it, it just reminds me too much of Umbreon, mainly because of the yellow rings on its tail and forehead. If the rings were somehow changed, I would like it more.

In my opinion, Regi DS's does NOT look like an eeveelution, for many reasons. It looks very angry. None of the eeveelutions look angry. It seems too big to have evolved from Eevee. It's head shape is different, too.
Some people also seem to have forgotten something. This is NOT an evolution project. We are creating a new Pokemon this time, and I'm sure Regi DS was aware of that. Also, Eevee does not need another evolution, but the Evolution Project will evolve Pokemon who need it.

The first one you got there looks the best imo. I like it. The one that's labelled C2 is good.
Cheers Syprus, dont you think c2 looks a bit dull with the main body being black and all. Also, Im just wondering why you thought 1 looked the best.

I've sketched this up today during class, I'd like to hear what you guys think if I should re-do it on some drawing paper. (I know there's much that I can change, it kinda just happened as I went along.)

The concept is of both meteors/comets and geodes, and naturally the crystals that are the geodes themselves.

For what does crystal do, but grow? If left alone, eventually it would grow to proportions like that of stalagmites and stalactites (at least in most fantasy worlds, of which Pokemon is). I thought, what would happen to a geode if there was a crack in it, and the crystals allowed to grow large enough to poke through the crack? The result as I see it would be an array of crystals, not dissimilar to the portrayal of the waves that a comet produces as it moves through an atmosphere... (I'm thinking specifically about the way the Comet staff from Kingdom Hearts 2 looks, that kind of thing.)

Also, I suck at drawing rock/rocky crags/etc, so please don't hold that against me.

EDIT: Also, food for thought, since the obvious inferred Meteor Mash on a comet-designed pokemon for this CAP wouldn't be too useful, there's also one more befitting move that could fit quite well: Draco Meteor. :D

EDIT EDIT: As long as we're talking design, I pose a question: For a cosmic-body design on this CAP, would it be more fitting to call it a Meteor pokemon, or a Comet pokemon? (primarily for its flavor; meteor = fire, comet = ice; coloring of the body/crystals, etc.) (And I don't mean to infer the classification, just from a technical standpoint.)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Chronosquare said:
EDIT EDIT: As long as we're talking design, I pose a question: For a cosmic-body design on this CAP, would it be more fitting to call it a Meteor pokemon, or a Comet pokemon? (primarily for its flavor; meteor = fire, comet = ice; coloring of the body/crystals, etc.) (And I don't mean to infer the classification, just from a technical standpoint.)
Yeah that actually makes more sense. Except Pokemon designs in general don't so we can just take creative license and say its a meteor Pokemon thats not part fire.

I find it almost comical that some think that Regi DS's design looks like an Eeveelution. Applying the same logic, we could say Houndoom looks like a Dark type Eeveelution. Some of these differences have already been pointed out: the design has an elongated snout like a canine, the eye style is completely different (Not circular shaped with only one circular highlight like the eeveelutions), the neck is longer than the neck of most eeveelutions, barring Espeon, and the body proportions are more characteristic of a canine. All in all, it looks like a fox, not a cat.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I find it almost comical that some think that Regi DS's design looks like an Eeveelution. Applying the same logic, we could say Houndoom looks like a Dark type Eeveelution. Some of these differences have already been pointed out: the design has an elongated snout like a canine, the eye style is completely different (Not circular shaped with only one circular highlight like the eeveelutions), the neck is longer than the neck of most eeveelutions, barring Espeon, and the body proportions are more characteristic of a canine. All in all, it looks like a fox, not a cat.
Exactly. Even if it WAS meant to be an eeveelution, we wouldn't do one in the normal CAP. Also, we aren't going to be doing split evos just yet in the EVO project. So yeah.

Exactly.
Which is why it DOES in fact look like an eeveelution.
Eevee=fox.
The tail of Regi's design has the same bulk-like appearance of Eevee and Umbreon.
The body shape resembles it as well, being relatively short.
You're example with Houndoom couldn't bee further from actuality considering the fact that Houndoom doesn't have much of the same characteristics. Extremely skinny tail, skinnier body structure, and a meaner face.
Yes, specifics like Regi's design's eyes and snout and whatnot have differences to the standard eevee line, but the general picture is very similar, and that's what stands out most.

I can't seem to like Caladbolg's Easter monster thing. It looks NOTHING like a pokemon, nothing at all. It's too creative and complicated and pokemon aren't that complicated looking. It has too much detail to be a pokemon, but it's still an amazing drawing. I just don't see it fitting in with the rest of the family. It looks like some weird sea monster that lurks under the water with its asternaut looking head. I don't mean to offend you, I just feel like it's not right to have a pokemon like that.
I disagree, I think it looks the most like a pokemon out of all the submissions except that Rock Eevee.

Even if RegiDS drawing isn't an Eevee evolution I still would never vote for it.

I agree with the arctic one the Easter Island looks like a pokemon and it is an amazing drawing.

Exactly.
Which is why it DOES in fact look like an eeveelution.
Eevee=fox.
So you're saying that since it looks like a fox it basically means it's an eeveelution? By that logic, Vulpix would count as an eeveelution as well. After all, she is a freaking FOX.

The tail of Regi's design has the same bulk-like appearance of Eevee and Umbreon.
So now having a bushy tail equal eeveelution. Growlithe, Arcanine and lesser extent Mightyena and Poochyena have busy tails, do we count them as eeveelutions as well?

The body shape resembles it as well, being relatively short.
Define "relatively short body shape".

Yes, specifics like Regi's design's eyes and snout and whatnot have differences to the standard eevee line, but the general picture is very similar, and that's what stands out most.
Oh yeah so basically you want us to ignore all things differentive itself from those damn hybrids and only notice the things that make them simliar? Narrow minded anyone? Now, if you actually compare some of his true eeveelution creation to Rock Coyote then you'll see that he way different than them.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I disagree, I think it looks the most like a pokemon out of all the submissions except that Rock Eevee.
Hey, Thanks.. I don't know,... But I think that Syprus is against me for a reason. His pokemons [under his concept] doesn't like a pokemon either....So... why is he criticizing me?

Well, I need some c+c b4 I get to color this guy....

Cartoons! helped me. We were brainstorming to find out which color scheme would suit him best. (Thanks for all the help Cartoons!)

V.I.P.S (very important post scriptum) This rendition fully belongs to Cartoons!

P.S.: Here's the original:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)