CAP 5 CAP 5 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is where we discuss the general goal of the next Create-A-Pokemon project -- CAP 5. The Concept will be a guiding force throughout the ensuing project, to ensure the the final result is a cohesive competitive pokemon. Any discussions, suggestions, or submissions in later topics, that do not support the spirit of the Concept, will be moderated by the Topic Leader.

Concepts must be presented as high-level descriptions of a general idea. They cannot be detailed pokemon designs. Since we have polls to determine each aspect of the pokemon, we cannot allow any specific features of the pokemon to be determined by the details of the Concept.

The following rules must be followed when submitting a Concept:

• One submission per person. You may edit your Concept, but you may not change the fundamental premise after it has been posted. If editing your concept, please edit the original post instead of posting a new revision. Do not bump your Concept after you have posted it. If people do not comment on it, so be it.

• Do not duplicate or closely-resemble Concepts already posted by others. It is your responsibility to read through all previous submissions in this thread to ensure you are complying with this rule. Ignorance or laziness is not an excuse.

• Specific Pokemon types or type combos cannot be included or excluded in a Concept. Nor can other characteristics of the Concept specifically result in in the inclusion or exclusion of Types. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
    "This is a Dragon pokemon with..."
    "The pokemon should be immune to Ghost attacks..."
    "The pokemon should have at least 7 resistances..."
    "The pokemon should get STAB on Thunderbolt.."​

• Specific Abilities are not allowed. This applies to existing abilities and new abilities. Do not attempt to circumvent this rule by mentioning specific battle effects that can only be achieved by the implementation of an ability. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
    "This pokemon should have a defensive ability like Intimidate or Marvel Scale..."
    "This pokemon has an ability that steals the opponent's held item..."
    "When this pokemon is switched in, all weather conditions are nullified..."​

• Movepools or lists of moves are not allowed. A specific move can be mentioned if it is the basis for the entire concept. For example, the Concept "Rapid Spinner" would obviously mention the move Rapid Spin.

• Specific stat bias, base stats, or base stat ratings are not allowed. It is acceptable to use descriptive phrases like "fast", "bulky", "strong attacker", etc -- since there are a variety of ways a pokemon can fit those descriptions without specifically requiring certain stats. But, do not use overly-specific descriptions that would narrowly constrain the pokemon's base stat spread.

• Indications of Physical/Special bias are discouraged, but acceptable if it is essential to the Concept.

• Do not refer to any part of the pokemon's artistic design. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
    "This is a bright blue pokemon..."
    "The pokemon looks like a..."
    "The pokemon uses its long tail to..."​

• A Concept Submission consists of a Name and a Description. Please use the following format for posting Concepts:
    Name: Concept name
    Description: A short description of the concept.
  • You may include a separate explanation of your Concept in your submission post, but it is not part of the official Concept submission. This explanation may make suggestions, even specific suggestions, regarding the possible implementation of the Concept. This explanation should help facilitate discussion of the Concept -- but the explanation is NOT part of the Concept and will be omitted from the polls and any future use of the Concept. Since your explanation is non-binding, regarding future polls and threads, it will not be evaluated for purposes of determining if your concept is legal or illegal.

• Don't get too clever with the name. If the essence of the concept is not intuitively obvious in the name, then you are hurting your chances of people understanding it. If the essence of your concept cannot be expressed in a few words, then you need to seriously re-evaluate your concept.

• Concept descriptions should be short. A sentence or two is normal. Long descriptions are invariably too specific or too convoluted. Keep it short. Do NOT include your explanation of the concept in the Description.

It is the submitter's responsibility to figure out how to make a legal submission within the rules listed above. Do not complain about the difficulty of making a submission in this thread. There are many, many legal concepts that can be presented within the rules. Here are few examples of good and bad Concepts from the previous project:

Good Concepts from CAP4
"Pure Utility Pokemon"
"Anti-Ghost Rapid Spinner"
"True Garchomp Counter"
"Great Lead Pokemon"
"Ultimate Weather Abuser"
"Status Counter"

Bad Concepts from CAP4
"Ice-Resisting Dragon"
"Super Luck User"
"STAB Explosion Glass Cannon"
"Auto-Stealth Rock Remover"
"A Pokemon with Special Intimidate"
"Pyrokinetic Pokemon (Fire/Psychic)"
"Special Guts"
"Typing Means Nothing"​

Here's a sample of a legal Concept post. I am not posting this as an actual submission. I'm just using it to illustrate the Name, Description, and explanation. :

Concept: "Kingdra of the Sun"
Description: A good pokemon with a varied movepool under normal conditions. But, it becomes a dangerous sweeping force in sunny weather.

I think Sunny Day is underutilized in the current metagame and I would like us to make a new pokemon that could make Sunny Day teams playable in OU, much like Kingdra almost single-handedly makes Rain teams viable in OU. Typing could be just about anything, although Fire and/or Grass are the most obvious. Water typing might be interesting to help it stop Heatran from becoming even more of a beast once the Sun goes up, and ruining the fun for this pokemon. Chlorophyll would be an easy way to make a good sweeper, but Solar Power doesn't get the love it should, and might be an interesting option. There are lots of nice abilities that could help this thing do its job. I think fiery art designs are always cool and I can imagine this pokemon having lots of colorful fire effects, if we make it part Fire.
Note that all the "illegal stuff" is in the explanation. The official submission is very carefully worded to not specifically dictate anything in later polls.

Please try to remember that we are simply pointing the project in a general direction, we are not trying to decide anything right now. We have several weeks of polls ahead of us where EVERYTHING about this pokemon will be dissected, discussed, voted, and decided. The Concept is a very basic guide for the creation process. It is hard to provide solid concept descriptions without basically designing the entire pokemon right off the bat. Submissions should be written and chosen very carefully, to avoid these problems.

Name: The Ultimate Weather Team Counter.

Description: This pokemon would be able to use and abuse all Weather conditions (maybe including Trick Room) and be able to stop most teams that rely on Weather. This could be because of Ability, typing, or stats. The Pokemon that Castform was meant to be :P

Concept: Anti Lead Pokemon
Description: This pokemon should have a large movepool to "counter" many leads. It should be very fast yet a bit bulky.

First post? (Knowing my luck, probably not...nope.)

Name: Weather Starter
Description: A Pokemon that can easily set up any weather condition, but relies on the weather being in effect in order to do anything really threatening. (To clarify, I do NOT mean that this Pokemon would have Drought/Drizzle/Sandstream/Snow Warning, but rather would use the moves Sunny Day/Rain Dance/Sandstorm/Hail.)

EDIT: To elaborate a bit on the last part of the description, I mean that this Pokemon would, for example, have (relatively) weak Fire or Water attacks that grow stronger in the Sun or Rain. It's attack stats would be such that this boost in power is required to score crucial 1/2HKOs. Alternately, it could simply not have any really powerful moves except for Thunder/Solarbeam/Blizzard, for their increased potency in Rain/Sun/Hail.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Name: The Ultimate Weather Team Counter.

Description: This pokemon would be able to use and abuse all Weather conditions (maybe including Trick Room) and be able to stop most teams that rely on Weather. This could be because of Ability, typing, or stats. The Pokemon that Castform was meant to be :P
I like this idea a lot, but why not save it for the EVO project as a Castform evolution? It would fit this role extremely well.

Name: Revenge Killer
Description: A pokemon able to revenge kill a multitude of Pokemon by either a specific move, ability, typing, or stat. It should be able to kill most Pokemon with ease, but something would limit from being broken, like Garchomp or Deoxys-S.

Explanation: I'm thinking of a cool typing or such, with an ability to such as Arena Trap that can trap Pokemon. Dugtrio can do this well, but it isn't anything else, I want a Pokemon that can revenge kill a multitude of Pokemon, such as Dugtrio, but be more strong, or specially based, since all the trappers other than Magnezone are physically based. It would most likely need a lot of speed and somewhat frail defensives, or can have a mediocre speed and be more of a tank that can trap opponents, and yes, you can be slow to revenge kill! I want to see more of tankish Pokemon that can trap the foe, and have cool typing such as Fire/Psychic, or a made up ability that can trap only certain Pokemon, you know what mean?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Name: super healer

Description: A pokemon that can utilize healing very well and should be able to heal it's team.
Wish Fidgit.

First post? (Knowing my luck, probably not...nope.)

Name: Weather Starter
Description: A Pokemon that can easily set up any weather condition, but relies on the weather being in effect in order to do anything really threatening.

EDIT: To elaborate a bit on the last part of the description, I mean that this Pokemon would, for example, have (relatively) weak Fire or Water attacks that grow stronger in the Sun or Rain. It's attack stats would be such that this boost in power is required to score crucial 1/2HKOs. Alternately, it could simply not have any really powerful moves except for Thunder/Solarbeam/Blizzard, for their increased potency in Rain/Sun/Hail.
Erm, idk if that's legal or not but if it's auto-weather its not.

Name:Anti-Post Setup
Concept:A pokemon that could reliably come in and negate or at the very least reduce the effectivness of set up moves after they have been performed without having to be a tailor made counter for a specific pokemon.

Edit: Name change and clarification to prevent confusion

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hmmm prehaps I should clarify Im not specifically talking about just lead setups but also sweep setups like dancers or subers. I mean it should be a pokemon that can come in post setup not prior.
You mean like a Taunter? Yeah they can come in at any time too.

EDIT:
GoO said:
Name:Skarmbliss counter
a pokemon designed purely to counter skarmory and blissey.
Mixape. Seriously, can we be more original please?

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Name:Skarmbliss counter
a pokemon designed purely to counter skarmory and blissey.

Infernape >_>

Anyways, here's my Concept.

Name: Anti-CaP

Concept: A CaP pokemon designed to counter all the other previous CaPs. We all know that the CaPs all share a common weakness (psychic+flying), and all the previous CaPs will be more balanced in the metagame, not having some being average OUs while having some being borderline-uber pokemon. This pokemon will sort of be like the pokemon that keeps all the other CaP's power in balance.

Name: Status spreader/abuser
Concept: Paralysis, Sleep, Freeze, Burn, and Poison are all game changing effects. A Pokemon that can do all of these with a good amount of unpredictability is something that would help to counter the aggressive metagame that currently exists. I would assume that in order to effectively use these, it would have to be reasonably bulky, as well as somewhat fast.

Time for me to submit one of my older ideas into the mix. I hate it when you have the idea within your head but can't seem to find the best words for it.

Name
: Status Counter/Absorber (Depends on how you look at it)
Description: A Pokemon who's main duty within a team is to protect it's teammates from dangerous status inflictions by absorbing and/or blocking them. This should be all done while still considered valuable and not dead weight. It doesn't have to block every single status infliction known to man, but I would say the ability to block/absorb 2-3 major status inflictions would be good.

Explanation: Status moves and statues in generally are some of the most powerful things one could do their foe. A simple sprinkling of a paralysis or a dash of sleep spells disaster to anyone whom succumb to them. Many people tried to find ways of countering them, but most required to make heavy sacrifices in order to success. I would like a Pokemon that could stop these deadly aliments from screwing you over without having to sacrificing a great deal of usefulness in the process.

ok Well most of my concepts are pretty crappy and this most likely sucks too but here it is anyway
Immunity Abuser
Something with as many immunities as we want to give it which depends on it's typing and ability (doesn't nessicarily need wondergaurd, there are other abilites or maybe a new one). But the goal is to just make something to have a alot of safe switches and then do whatever it need to do

PS- Plus' is the only idea I like, I totally support him

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Name: a new uber

Description: i think we need more ubers that could alter the ubers battle alot.

I have to support either Sihk Assassin or HoundoomDude, as HD took my suggestion and bulky revenge killer is pretty awesome.

Im not sure how legal this is but im gonna post it and see.

Name: Break the Mold

Description:
An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.

Yea so obviously there is some stereotypes associated with each of the types and i have noticed that this is something that has often had a negative effect on past CAP projects.
You've heard it all before when people were discussing Pyroak, a lot of people insisted it had to be fast and have huge special attack just because it was a fire type.

Or when Fidgit's movepool was chosen Stealth Rock had to be on just because every other ground type has it.

I know there are some pokemon that already exist, that tend to have traits that you wouldn't expect given their typing; Cradily, Altaria and Ampharos come to mind. Despite this it seems the vast majority of these type of pokemon sit firmly in the UU tier, maybe this is the exact reason why, but i think this is an issue we can further discuss and something we can actually test in battle.

So the challenge with this concept is to take a typing and go completely against the stereotypes often associated with it and make a pokemon that is viable in OU.

Examples:

Defensive Dragon
Slow Walling Electric
Very Fast Steel
A grass type with none of the spore/status/seeding/recovery shit.
Rock special sweeper

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Coconut Storm, read the FIRST rule in the OP. One submission. I advise you to delete one of yours.

Also I love Latino's idea. Its my favourite so far.

tennisace

Name: a new uber

Description: i think we need more ubers that could alter the ubers battle alot.
You didn't read the first post. One submission only. Also, we won't be doing the shitstorm that is making an Uber pokemon.

Name: Bulky Specs User

Description: A Pokemon that is able to hit a good portion of the metagame very hard using specs and powerful STAB attacks. This Pokemon would also be bulky enough to survive most non-SE attacks, and some weaker SE ones, but not too bulky.

You didn't read the first post. One submission only. Also, we won't be doing the shitstorm that is making an Uber pokemon.

Concept: Bulky Specs User

Description: A Pokemon that is able to hit a good portion of the metagame very hard using specs and powerful STAB attacks. This Pokemon would also be bulky enough to survive most non-SE attacks, and some weaker SE ones, but not too bulky.
Fidgit, lol, and you're using it like that too!

tennisace

Fidgit wasn't designed with specs in mind. I used it like that as a complete gimmick to catch people off guard. Also, Specs Fidgit hurts like a slap on the wrist =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)