CAP 16 CAP 5 - Final Product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Coil was ruled too competitively strong, and would make Malaconda OP. Competitive balance >>>> flavour any day. We didn't want Mal to have stat boosting options outside of Harvest. For more info, check here.
Next time, ask in the Simple Questions Simple Answers.
Honestly, I think you guys did a pretty good job restraining yourselves this time around. I'm almost shocked that the same community that managed to create a relatively balanced Pokemon like Malaconda is the same community that created something as hideously overwhelming and self-indulgent as Aurumoth.

I don't know what policy changes you made between that CAP and this one, but whatever you did, keep doing it for the next one.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
It's coming after flavour ability. We decided to do the purely flavour steps during the playtest instead of before.

Bull of Heaven

Honestly, I think you guys did a pretty good job restraining yourselves this time around. I'm almost shocked that the same community that managed to create a relatively balanced Pokemon like Malaconda is the same community that created something as hideously overwhelming and self-indulgent as Aurumoth.
I'm definitely a fan of our policy changes, which you can find in the policy review subforum by the way, but honestly I think we were so disciplined with this one largely because it was preceded by Aurumoth. There's nothing shocking about it; we knew as well as anyone that we screwed up, and no one wanted to make the same mistakes again. We'll see whether that discipline lasts in future projects, though I'm more optimistic about that than not.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think Malaconda is one of the best CAP projects ever. Time will tell if the pokemon is good, bad, or otherwise. But as projects go, it was a wonderful success, IMO.

I learned a ton, and I enjoyed reading almost every thread. I liked how each TLT member had their own style for different steps. They were fresh and energetic, and all ensured each step was given the right level of attention and focus.

And I can't say enough great stuff about Jas and the job he did as TL. He kicked off the project with great leadership in the formative threads. Then he was a presence in every subsequent thread, but he didn't overpower any of them. Just a steady guiding voice all the way through. One of the best TL's of all time, IMO.

The community as a whole seemed to work well together on this CAP. Of course we had plenty of disagreements, and there were bumps along the way. But I enjoyed helping make Malaconda, and I'm proud to be part of the Create-A-Pokemon project. Thanks to everyone who participated!

I've been following this CAP project from the get-go (account-less, though) as well as viewing prior projects in varying stages (Tomohawk's latter moments, bits of Necturna, Aurumoth, etc.) and feel that it was indeed successful in creating a capable CAPmon that isn't broken, it had fallen short - accidentally and not preempted - of accomplishing its goal, imo.

Name: Type Equalizer

Description: A pokemon whose presence in the metagame increases the usage of one or more underused types and simultaneously decreases the usage of one or more overused types.

Justification: Take a look at the OU usage statistics for January and you'll see that 9 out of the top 10 pokemon have either steel, water, dragon or fighting as one of their types, and extending it to the top 20 shows 16/20 with those types. We should also be asking ourselves why these trends exist so strongly and what can be done about them. In creating this CAP,we'd have to discuss in depth many different aspects of what makes a type and opinions can ultimately being tested in the playtest.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • Is a types usefulness relative to the metagame or is it intrinsic? (Ie. Can any type be the "best" type given the right circumstances or do type match-ups, available STAB moves etc mean some types will always be better than others?)
  • What exploitable weaknesses do "good" types in OU have? Are their currently pokemon that can exploit them and if so, how do they function differently to CAP5?
  • How (if at all) will the targeted types adapt to the situation created? Will people choose different movesets, abilities, etc or will they just use them more/less? How is this linked to the way CAP5 functions strategically?
  • What effects will the changes on certain types' presence have on the metagame?
  • Which members of the targeted types will benefit and suffer from this most and why?
  • By creating CAP5, have we learnt any new ways to counter good types or use bad types?
Early on, it was decided to abuse Sun - which in and of itself is not necessarily a bad idea, it promotes alternate weather and increases the occurrence of Fire, Grass, Dark and other types; however, among the many other discussions, emphasis was placed further and further away from type equalization and eventually digressed towards Harvest abuse, and even though comments and points are made towards type equality throughout, it did, ultimately, change the subject. And, even still, it is later found it still finds spots on Rain teams - primarily, even - and therefore the secondary concept was not thoroughly realized.

I would suggest for future projects threads to discuss chosen changes and make sure all arguments would directly be beneficial to the concept... Although perhaps this is only opinion. All and all, I simply suggest such a thing, perhaps simply to keep in mind, in the future.

...Also, I'm new to Smogon as a poster. Hi.

Looks Great!
Doubt it would be added to the Main series games.
But other than that lookes awesome!
I would do it if I was a good artist :I

I know I'm late as hell, but

Mala's good for a solid three reasons:

1. It can Spin. Even with all the new spinners in CAP, it's still good in that regard.
2. LumRest is fantastic recovery with Harvest
3. U-turn + decent Attack is fantastic

It has some major flaws, but it can be the spinner of choice on many teams. I don't see it having a huge use outside of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)