1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 5 CAP 5 - Final Product

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by tennisace, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

Important Note: The official name chosen for 'Ancient Beam' is Paleo Wave. Please stop posting votes for the name of the new move, or your post will be deleted and infracted. All remaining posts should solely be about the final product.

August 31st 2008, 4:00 PM EST: We started the first poll of CAP 5.
    November 7th 2008 3:56 PM EST: We finished the last poll of CAP 5.

Total time: 10 Weeks, 6 Days. HA DOUG ITS NOT THE LONGEST!

Before I reveal the complete final product, I'd just like to say a few words. I'd like to thank you all for keeping this project running smoothly. There were almost no major conflicts. I'd like to thank Doug, X-Act, and Darkie for keeping the forum running smoothly. I'd like to thank the other server mods, keep it up guys!

This project came a long way from a "surefire" Electric/Dragon Bulky Mixed Attacker. It's taken many surprising and fun twists along the way. Here's what we ended up with!

Stratagem

Break the Mold-Click here to see the full post.
    Type: Rock

Offensive/Defensive Bias: Offensive 20-40
    Physical/Special Bias: Special -20 and lower
    Base Stat Rating: Very Good
    Base Stats: 90/60/65/120/70/130 Speed Last
    Primary Ability: Levitate
    Secondary Ability: Technician

Art By yourDeadGrandad
    [​IMG]

Code:
    [B]Level Up:[/B]
    H. Weather Ball
    - Tackle
    - Defense Curl
    - Rollout
    5. Defense Curl
    8. Rollout
    13. Quick Attack
    17. Disable
    20. Acupressure
    25. Mud Shot
    29. Power Gem
    32. Headbutt
    37. Metal Sound
    42. Paleo Wave
    50. Head Smash

[B]TMs:[/B]
    TM04 - Calm Mind
    TM06 - Toxic
    TM10 - Hidden Power
    TM11 - Sunny Day
    TM13 - Ice Beam
    TM15 - Hyper Beam
    TM17 - Protect
    TM18 - Rain Dance
    TM19 - Giga Drain
    TM21 - Frustration
    TM24 - Thunderbolt
    TM25 - Thunder
    TM26 - Earthquake
    TM27 - Return
    TM30 - Shadow Ball
    TM31 - Brick Break
    TM32 - Double Team
    TM34 - Shock Wave
    TM35 - Flamethrower
    TM37 - Sandstorm
    TM38 - Fire Blast
    TM39 - Rock Tomb
    TM40 - Aerial Ace
    TM42 - Facade
    TM43 - Secret Power
    TM44 - Rest
    TM52 - Focus Blast
    TM53 - Energy Ball
    TM54 - False Swipe
    TM56 - Fling
    TM57 - Charge Beam
    TM58 - Endure
    TM63 - Embargo
    TM64 - Explosion
    TM65 - Shadow Claw
    TM68 - Giga Impact
    TM69 - Rock Polish
    TM71 - Stone Edge
    TM73 - Thunder Wave
    TM74 - Gyro Ball
    TM75 - Swords Dance
    TM76 - Stealth Rock
    TM80 - Rock Slide
    TM81 - X-scissor
    TM82 - Sleep Talk
    TM83 - Natural Gift
    TM89 - U-turn
    TM90 - Substitute
    HM01 - Cut
    HM04 - Strength
    HM06 - Rock Smash
    HM08 - Rock Climb

[B]Tutor Moves:[/B]
    - Ancientpower
    - Earth Power
    - Heat Wave
    - Icy Wind
    - Iron Head
    - Magnet Rise
    - Mud-slap
    - Ominous Wind
    - Rollout
    - Signal Beam
    - Snore
    - Swift
    - Vacuum Wave
    - Zen Headbutt
    Pokedex Entries:

Wyverii

[​IMG]

The official name chosen for 'Ancient Beam' is Paleo Wave.

Other than that, I've had a great time as TL, and now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to finish writing the in-depth analysis, and start the 3 PR threads for after CAP 5!
  2. bojangles

bojangles IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Bravo, tennis. You did an excellent job of TL.

I think Paleoblast is an apt name for the new move.
  3. Elevator Music

Elevator Music
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Ancient Beam

I'm glad this is done. Too bad I just made a new team that can't fit this guy on it... (and I'm not changing the team because it's excellent)
  4. latinoheat

latinoheat
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Primal Wave
  5. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Tennis, pick a weight for this thing, so I can implement it on the server. I really don't care what number is chosen. But, this will affect Grass Knot and Low Kick damage, both of which are SE on this pokemon -- so take that into account when making your choice.

As for the project on the whole, this one remained quite focused throughout, once the idea of a fast Rock special sweeper was mentioned early on. It's certainly one of the strangest creations from the CAP project. But, testing should be fun for everyone.

I have some work ahead of me for implementing this new move. It won't be terribly hard, but new stuff is always a challenge. I'll try to work on everything this weekend. This is going to be piled into a whole lot of other server changes -- so testing could be shaky in the early going. Please be patient with me, as I try to get everything worked out...
  6. Infiltrator

Infiltrator

Excellent job Tennis and all the supporters of this project and i can't wait for play testing to begin!

And we are allowed to Suggest move name here?
  7. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss

Prefer Paleo Wave/Blast and Primal Wave over Ancient Beam. I also suggest a weight of 40 to 80 pounds :P. You can't expect it to weight a helluva lot for it's size/design.
  8. Nasty Pass

Nasty Pass

This guy seems fairly small, but he's still made of rock, so I'd say 40-45 kg (~80-90 lbs) for his weight. This also puts Low Kick and Grass Knot at 60 Base Power, low but not too low, I'd say.

Additionally, I like Paleo Wave for the move name.
  9. tennisace

tennisace
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

Well, its a bunch of disconnected floating rocks. How about 115 Lbs/52.2 kg? 80 Base Power sounds about right to me. As for height (though it doesn't make a difference), I can see it being kinda big. 3' 11" sounds about right.
  10. Infiltrator

Infiltrator

Oh OK we can edit the name here:
    maybe Stone Shower/Stone Pulse/Stone Power.

I agree with Tennis.... Stratagem may be small but all those rock will add a some weight on to it but i think i think taking out about 15 LBS from it.
  11. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Tennis what about the number of Pre-Evos?
    Are we going to bold vote that or could someone just edit in a poll to the thread?

Also I would like to point this out to everyone:

[​IMG]
    there is art ready for the pre-evos if we want it.

And I have little if any preference as to the moves name so am not voting.
  12. Kamen Rider

Kamen Rider

How about Fossilizations?
  13. cyberzero

cyberzero

Ahh, another great CaP. Although this project wasn't as enjoyable as Fidgit, imo, I think of it as a redo of Syclant except more reasonable and with a much better process this time around.
    Tennis, great job being the TL! You provided some great explanations and it's obvious that you spent a lot of time on this! Although the project took a little longer than desired, the ends justify the means well.
    Doug, take as much time as you want, we all respect how much you do for us as always.
    Great job for pretty much everyone in the community for staying consistent with CaP5 despite the controversy with the evo project as well.
    As for the name, I think Ancient Beam would be nice. Can't wait to start playtesting!
  14. tennisace

tennisace
    Twitter Head

Eric as I said in the other thread we're going to do it in the Prevo PR thread or in the resulting threads.
  15. Raverist

Raverist

Hurmm...pretty nice. I suggest the name of Carboblast.

Simply named after Carbon and Blast.
  16. Chileno4Live

Chileno4Live

Wow CAP is the coolest project there is for pokemon. Btw what does ''TL'' mean? Sorry im new xD and yeah i'm going to like Stratagem alot though i liked protolith much better but yeah doesn't matter. :D
  17. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I misinterpreted..
    All the other CaPs had at least the number of pre-evos picked as part of the project though, and the PR threads have not yet changed the process... but its ok if you want to do it that way.

Edit:
    TL is Topic Leader.
    We have a new one for each CaP project, tennis was the one for this project.
  18. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss

I don't believe this creature could weight no 52.2 kg even if we did combine all those unattached rocks together. Nasty Pass's numbers seem more believable.

I approve of this statement.
  19. Deck Knight

Deck Knight A Knight for the Aegis
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Going also with Paleo Wave.

For weight, I'd say combined the stones would weigh about 80-90 lbs to have enough Iron and such to be magnetic. I'd go with Nasty Pass's 45kg.

For height: 2'10". It's a consortium of floating rocks. filling up a 3x3 foot cube seems to be logical enough.
  20. Zerox

Zerox

Unless this Pokemon would, in-game, be awakened from a fossil, why should the moves name have anything to do with 'ancient' or 'paleontology'? Just because it happens to be made of stone.

Gem beam or something? Considering the fact it's covered in them, on it's limbs as well as head. Upgraded Power Gem I suppose.

How about Stone Shot?
  21. jagged_angel

jagged_angel

I vote Diamond Core for the new move.

Other new move names for people who have forgotten them -

Ruby Ray
    Gem Cannon
    Diamond Cutter
    Vital Impact
    Onyx Blast
    Primal Ray
    Diamond Flash
    Stone Shot

From a competitive standpoint, 80BP Grass Knot is pretty threatening!

Wouldn't it be better to make Stratagem lighter so that Grass Knot (the most common Grass move, according to X-Act's recent thread) is weaker?

Seeings how this thing is gonna have Bullet Punchers, Bulky Waters and Fighting types as checks/counters it'd be nice to nerf the Grass counters a bit or at least force them to run Energy Ball instead.

Just my two cents.
  22. RobertM

RobertM

Aurora Beam clone. Auroras are in the sky. Meteors are in the Sky. I wanted a meteor pokemon.

Meteor Beam
    gets my vote.

Also, I don't think this thing would be above 20 lbs. Yes it's a rock, but its small and mostly pebbles. Lets break the mold with a light rock!
  23. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

I always had the idea this thing wouldn't have any pre-evos.

I like Stone Shower.
  24. SgtWoodsy

SgtWoodsy

I like Paleo Wave.

I also like how this thing's turned out.
  25. Thorns

Thorns

Paleo Wave sounds nice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)