CAP 16 CAP 5 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quetzacapl ~ Quetzalcoatl & Apple

It's been a while since we've had a horrifically constructed and contracted pokemon name. Oh, the days of Victreebel~

I know a similar name was suggested, but I'm thinking Addlure, because it's a combination of Addler, a type of snake, and lure. Now that I think about it, Rattlure would work too, for the same reasons (Rattler + Lure). Which do you guys prefer?

EDIT: I also like Roserade Raider's Temptiss, but if I may, I believe it should be changed to Temptriss, because the extra r makes it sound a lot more like Temptress, which is an actual word. Plus, it just sounds better.
I agree, but I thought it would sound a little feminine. Temptriss is better name, though, and I'd be interested to hear more feedback.

My other WIP is Pommepous or Pompython. Both stem from "pomme" which is French for apple. The first one is "pomme" and "pompous" and the second is "pomme" and "python". Thoughts?

EDIT: shortened one name

I agree, but I thought it would sound a little feminine. Temptriss is better name, though, and I'd be interested to hear more feedback.

My other WIP is Pommepous or Pommepython. Both stem from "pomme" which is French for apple. The first one is "pomme" and "pompous" and the second is "pomme" and "python". Thoughts?
well, 'pommepython' is too long, but 'pommepous' sounds like an awesome pun. sounds a little odd, though, like we're referring to a cat pokemon.

Toying with a few ideas:-

Envallper

Env-all-per
En -
start of envenom, a well known thinsg snakes do
All - from the word allure
Per - Ending from the word Viper

Pronounced: N-Vall-per

This one I like as it plays also on the word Envelop which is what the appearance and smell of the fruit does to it's victims senses.

Snitice

Sni-tice
Sni - derived from the word Snicker (normally associated with stifling a laugh, a well known thing to do when leading some astray)
tice - last part of the word Entice (another word for allure)

Pronounced: Sni-tis

This is one which fits the design and background, as well as his pose perfectly. From Eden to alluring helpless Pokemon ready to strike at them it does this with malicious intent and has to stifle his laughter as to not give away his presence.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Well, since nobody responded to Ophiden, let's try another one: Pychthon (PIKE-thon).

This one comes from python + chthonic (a word used to describe underworld gods). There are a lot of "python" names already, but I thought this one was good enough to share.

Other names I like: Mallure, Malaconda, Temptail, and Taboa. I'd be reasonably happy with any of those.

Addlure is definitely my favorite so far, and I'd stick with it. Rattlure might start flavor arguments about the apple being capable of being a rattle...

With the departure of my last idea, let's go with a new one, shall we?

Nedevyl
NHEED - e - vhi - ell

"Eden" spelled backwards, then "Vile," misspelled to make it cooler. It rolls off the tongue, I think. Like, "need a vial?" Yeah, kinda like that. It's also attractive for the eyes, IMO, but that's just me.

Deceptile

Kinda simple, combination of deception and reptile, being a snake, and based off of the evil snake in the Bible.

Pronunciation: Dee-sep-tile

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
A serious submission to counterbalance my joking one.

Pestilance
PES-till-lans
Pestilence + Fer-De-Lance

Pestilence can either be a great plague or endemic, which makes no sense according to the art, or an agent of evil, which makes perfect sense. Fer-De-Lance is the species of snake I used as the anatomical model. I like it because its punny :B

I was wondering about a name like Surpitude . . . but didn't know if enough people would know what turpitude meant to get the pun in the name.

(moral turpitude is the name for behaving in a dishonest, unjust and generally immoral way). And Serpent + Turpitude makes Surpitude.

I've decided I really don't like my first work in progress because it sounds too much ike the word "hideous" which doesn't make sense for our CAP. so... what do you guys think?

Surpitude
Tantaliez or
Tantalivy

which has the best shot at winning?

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I have some suggestions:

Malucifer
Ma-LU-ci-fer
From malus, latin for apple and evil; and Lucifer, the one that offered Eve the fruit from the forbidden tree

Erisnake
ER-ris-nay-ke
From Eris, the greek goddess of chaos; and snake

Boitatan
BOY (the O as in Rose)-ta-tan
From Boitatá, a legendary snake in brazilian folklore; and Satan

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Reposting Applesnake from page 1... never really got any response. Evokes Rattlesnake, also obviously is Apple + Snake.

Also adding to the mix: Corruptile. Corrupt, which the Biblical serpent did, and Reptile, which snakes are.

Reposting Applesnake from page 1... never really got any response. Evokes Rattlesnake, also obviously is Apple + Snake
It just looks stupid.

You could have "Rapplesnake" if it didn't go over the limit :/ corrupted to "Rapplsnake", even.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This thread is now open for Final Submissions. It will remain open for at least 24 hours from the time of this post.

Final Submission

Maliss

Malice/Malus + Hiss

Pronounced: "Mah-lihss"
IPA: məlɪs

Snakes are malicious in the holy bible. We wanted a Dark-type. Malice.
Malus is the genus of apples.
Hiss is that sound snakes usually make.
Mix it together. Boom.
Maliss.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Corruptile

Corrupt + Reptile: Snakes are reptiles and the biblical serpent notably corrupted Eve.

Pronounced: "kuh-ruhpt-ile"
IPA: kəˈrʌptaɪl

As a note to all people that plan on making final submissions, know that we will not include your submission in the poll if it doesn't follow all the rules outlined in the OP. We (the moderation team) will not be calling out formatting problems in the thread, so it is on you to construct a legal submission. Please please PLEASE read the OP to make sure your submission is legal.

Final Submission

Kalhissti

Kallisti + Hiss

Pronounced: "Kuhl-hiss-tee"
IPA: kʉlhɪstiː

Kallisti is another name for the Apple of Discord. It roughly translates to 'For the Fairest.' A hiss is obviously the sound a snake makes.

Final Submission

Risqwirm

A simple mix: Risk (Risque?) + Squirm + Wyrm

Pronounced: ris-KWIRM
IPA: [risk'wirm]

Wyrm is the Old English word for snake, and a modern synonym for [European] dragon. It's related to worm as well.
I'm not sure about the spelling, any suggestions would be welcome.

Changed the spelling, updated the English pronunciation.

Final Submission

Taboa

"Taboo"+ "Boa"

Pronounced: "ta-BO-a"
IPA: təboʊə

Taboo comes from the forbidden fruit, boa comes from the fact that it's a snake. I like this because it's simple and easy to say. It's also pretty obvious at first glance what the name means.

Final Submission

Lucifruit

A portmanteau of Lucifer+Fruit, it's pretty silly but relays the mischievous nature of the mon quite well.

Pronounced: LU-ci-fruit
IPA: [lu/sə/frut]

I personally harbor a lot of love for several other entries in this thread, though, especially Envyper.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Malucifer

A combination of "Malus" and "Lucifer"

Pronounced: ma-LU-ci-fer
IPA: [malusifer]

Malus is latin for both apple and evil, and Lucifer is the one that gave the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Final Submission

Quetzacapl

Quetzalcoatl is a feathered serpent-god in the Aztec pantheon, linked with the creation of mankind; apples are fruit.

Pronounced: QUET-za-CAH-pell
IPA: kwɛtzəkæpəl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)