1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 16 CAP 5 - Part 10 - Non-Attacking Moves Poll

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by capefeather, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capefeather

capefeather no shit
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This poll's purpose is to decide by vote whether the moves marked as Controversial in the Non-Attacking Moves Discussion thread will be allowed for Malaconda's movepool (whoa man, alliteration). The linked thread contains the discussion that led to what we are doing now. Note that while disallowed moves will not be allowed in any movepool submission, allowed moves will not necessarily make it to the winning movepool. Also mind the other move discussion thread and the allowed/disallowed moves there.

The controversial moves we will be voting on are listed below. Spell the move and its qualifying allow/disallow as you see it below when posting. Do not vote to both allow and disallow the same move, as that is nonsensical and will result in your vote being deleted.
    Allow Glare
    Disallow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Disallow Spikes
    Allow Stun Spore
    Disallow Stun Spore
    Allow Thunder Wave
    Disallow Thunder Wave
    This poll operates on the multiple bold voting standard, which is detailed here. Make sure to bold your votes and nothing else and spell them correctly. A vote looks like this:
    CAP uses automated scripts to count votes. For this reason, it is very important for all ballots to be submitted correctly. If you do not compose a legal ballot, your post will be subject to moderation.
    • The scripts count bold words in ballots, so do NOT bold anything in your ballot other than the options you are voting for.
    • Only one option per line.
    • Spelling of options must be EXACTLY correct and must match the spelling listed in this post.
    • Capitalization, spaces, and non-letters are ignored by the vote counting scripts, but you probably should not depend on it.
    • Do not bold portions of words separately. For example, the following BBCode: [NOPARSE]Pikachu[/NOPARSE] will appear like this: Pikachu. That looks like a single bold word, but it isn't. It's two bolded character strings right next to each other. Please don't do this, because it is VERY HARD for mods to find ballots with errors like this.
    Composing a proper ballot is easy. Just copy/paste the names you like directly from the OP to your ballot as plain unbolded text. Select all the options as a group, and wrap it in bold tags. Boom, you're done. If you type out the options manually and bold them individually and make a spelling or formatting mistake, it is your own fault.

This poll runs for 24 hours.

CAP 5 so far:

Name: Malaconda

[​IMG]

Concept: Type Equalizer (open)

Typing: Grass / Dark
    Threats: Link
    Primary Ability: Harvest
    Secondary Ability: Infiltrator
    Stats: 115 HP / 100 Atk / 60 Def / 40 SpA / 130 SpD / 55 Spe
  2. Dracoyoshi8

Dracoyoshi8 weapon of mass seduction
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Allow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Allow Stun Spore
    Allow Thunder Wave

let's go Glare hissssss
  3. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Disallow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Disallow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave

Just to repeat what I said at the end of the discussion, if you are voting for Glare and not the other paralysis moves, you better have a damn good competitive reason for it.
  4. Yilx

Yilx Sad
    is an Artistis a Smogon IRC AOP

Allow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Disallow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave

Allow V-Create

Show Hide
    [​IMG]
  5. Nyktos

Nyktos Custom Loser Title

Disallow Glare
    Disallow Spikes
    Disallow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave
  6. capefeather

capefeather no shit
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Disallow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Disallow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave

I noticed the thread icons for previous threads got deleted. reachzero and Rising_Dusk got to do it D:
  7. Magistrum

Magistrum Oh ma god it's Plasmanta!!! Run!!! ᕙ(◕`o´◕;)ᕗ
    is an Artist

Disallow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Disallow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave

I don't get why we should give Malaconda access to paralysis moves. The majority wanted a slow mon so why should we give it something that offsets this fact? We should've agreed on a faster stat spread then. -_-
  8. paintseagull

paintseagull pink wingull
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator

Disallow Glare
    Disallow Spikes
    Disallow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave
  9. DrNeoCortex

DrNeoCortex

Disallow Stun Spore
    Disallow Glare
    Disallow Thunder Wave
    Allow Spikes
  10. Base Speed

Base Speed What a load of BS!
    is a Pre-Contributor

Disallow Glare
    Allow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave

For now, I'm abstaining from voting on spikes as I just don't know where to stand on the matter. I feel both sides have put up good arguments. As for paralysis, I feel like Stun Spore forms an ideal compromise, making it an option but not making it the centerpiece of a Malaconda set due to shaky accuracy.

There's a good chance this'll be edited later. I'm still very open to persuasion on all 4 moves.
  11. Cherub Agent

Cherub Agent
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

allow glare
    allow spikes
    allow stun spore
    allow thunder wave
  12. EspyOwner

EspyOwner

Allow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Allow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave
  13. Agent Gibbs

Agent Gibbs

Disallow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Allow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave
  14. Qwilphish

Qwilphish spread the love
    is a Pre-Contributor

Disallow Thunder Wave
    Allow Glare
    Allow Stun Spore
    Disallow Spikes

Spikes is too much of a general 'goodstuff' move to be allowed. Stun Spore should be allowed because I don't think that paralysis is OP on this. Glare gives us the /same/ paralysis effect as Stun Spore but has better accuracy. People use Stun Spore expecting for it too hit, and having a potentially crucial Para miss could ruin games, whereas Glare has better, but not perfect Acc. Thunder Wave should be disallowed however because of its Perfect Acc and ability to be blocked, killing our momentum, which Sun does not need to have.
  15. CiteAndPrune

CiteAndPrune

Allow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Allow Stun Spore
    Allow Thunder Wave

Allow isn't the same as Required, and so particularly at this stage I prefer when limits are set more generously than they should, sometimes. It leaves more to the Movepoll Submitters to do a good job pruning through options later.

I do happen to have a competitive reason for the inclusion of paralysis, however - and that is that I find the Ice coverage from Ice Fang that most seem to support to be unwarranted in Malaconda's movepoll. Giving up that option, Glare/Stun Spore will be the move I selected to address Landorus and Dragonite, among others, maybe not hitting them x4 effectively, but by crippling their Speed, allowing Malaconda's teammates to better handle them. And that IMO is pro-concept.

Regardless, to each their own. See you at the Movepoll Submission stage folks.
  16. Glacier Knight

Glacier Knight

Allow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Allow Stun Spore
    Allow Thunder Wave
  17. Vann Accessible

Vann Accessible

Disallow Glare
    Disallow Spikes
    Disallow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave

I could still go either way on Spikes, but I feel we've given Malaconda enough roles as it is. There is such a thing as being too versatile.

And Fire types like Infernape and Volcorona aren't counters if they can be stunned on the switch and then U-Turned out of before they can even move.
  18. Allow Spikes
    Disallow Glare
    Disallow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave
  19. alexwolf

alexwolf Fear the D
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Disallow Glare
    Disallow Spikes
    Disallow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave
  20. Sulticune

Sulticune

Allow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Disallow Thunder Wave
    Disallow Stun Spore
  21. Allethosea

Allethosea

Disallow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Allow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave
  22. Todd

Todd

Disallow Glare
    Disallow Thunder Wave
    Disallow Stun Spore
    Allow Spikes
  23. srk1214

srk1214 The Wuthering Heights of Billionaire Gay Dinosaur Fiction
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Allow Spikes
    Disallow Thunder Wave
    Allow Glare
    Allow Stun Spore
  24. Imanalt

Imanalt WHY BUNNELBY DO HAVE FUR?
    is a Tiering Contributor

Allow Glare
    Allow Spikes
    Allow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave

If were using paralysis moves, one of our major targets should be landorus, so thunder wave just doesnt make sense
  25. cjrocker

cjrocker

Allow Glare
    Disallow Spikes
    Allow Stun Spore
    Disallow Thunder Wave
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)