CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 13a (Name Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I just want to remind everyone that a plot or scheme (or stratagem) doesn't need to be nasty. Hence why this Pokemon doesn't learn Nasty Plot! This Pokemon's schemes are for the better, not for the worse... hence it schemes with a Calm Mind and not through a Nasty Plot.

So people cannot associate the word 'gem' with this Pokemon even though it has at least 8 attached to its body (two of which are its eyes)? I appreciate that not all of you know what rock strata are (in which case I'll kindly link you), but how can you possibly say that 'gem' is forced on this Pokemon? :(

But... the Jap name for Nastly plot it Scheme iirc?
I think (and maybe others too) that Gem isn't the most prevalent feature. I look at Rockmon and the Scythes stand out the most. Gem also suggests crystalline structure. This pokemon looks more rugged and gem. The Gem would've fitted the art that came 2nd (i forget) more because the gems there looked integral to its desing. However, here, the speed is more emphasised by the sickle/scythe whatever. But yes stratagem would've been awesome for the 2nd placed art.
And yes i know what rock strata are, yet none are present in this. OK, it can move in and through strata...but strata is SOLID - and this is not a ghost pokemon... but yeah. I'm not bagging it out or anything. was just sayin'. And this is to clarify my view. Please don't take it badly or anything and adopt a tone similar to the post above.

*shamless plug for Siliscythe again* comments on this?

Obselix/Obsetite
Obsidian/Obelisk + "ix" or "ite"

Sort of an amalgam of a bunch of things.

Obsidian is a type of dark colored, very precious rock. Obelisks were Egyptian monuments that had square bases that ended in pyramidal tops; they were made of stone and were placed in pairs at the entrances of temples. ( Click )
"Ix" was sort of a random sound derived from "isk" while "ite" is more reminiscent of stone.

As a fast Pokémon, I believe it would make sense to have a multisyllabic name, so I tried to incorporate that. That's just my opinion, though.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just want to remind everyone that a plot or scheme (or stratagem) doesn't need to be nasty. Hence why this Pokemon doesn't learn Nasty Plot! This Pokemon's schemes are for the better, not for the worse... hence it schemes with a Calm Mind and not through a Nasty Plot.

So people cannot associate the word 'gem' with this Pokemon even though it has at least 8 attached to its body (two of which are its eyes)? I appreciate that not all of you know what rock strata are (in which case I'll kindly link you), but how can you possibly say that 'gem' is forced on this Pokemon? :(
For the record I think Stratagem is off because it is an actual noun in English with a proper spelling. (As opposed to Onix, which replaces a Y with an I). It is also a noun for an abstract idea and not a physical thing, which is why Onix works because Onyx is a physical, tangible thing. The only places a stratagem can be is in your mind or on paper.

That and it doesn't really look all that stratified, at best it has two alternating rock colors. And I don't associate this with planning too much, it looks more like "KILL KILL KILL," but that's just me.

I think agilicient sounds forced. Also, the only parts that come through is Agility and Quick, Mer and Cient are kinda... wth
Thing is most pokemon are like that and msot of them don't make sense.

Agilicient is kinda stupid, Im starting to like Merquick.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That can be changed fairly easily, change the second "a" to an "i" or something like that. I'd hate to see one little quarrel over spelling to keep this name from winning (Which, as of now, I think it should).
Still a horrible name for a floating clawed pile of rock, in my estimation.

That's a difficult thing to judge, since we already have names like Gastly and Farfetch'd, which aren't really abstract, but aren't "physical" characteristics either. I guess I'm just saying that I really feel Stratagem should be the winner at this point, but it's still fairly early.
Gastly is a ghost, not a rock, so it works perfectly (As does Haunter), and Farfetchc'd is fairly clever for a pokemon as singularly absurd as Farfetch'd. Leek Sword ftw?

And the other part is poll jumping. I for one do not welcome our new X-Actian Overlords >_>

That can be changed fairly easily, change the second "a" to an "i" or something like that. I'd hate to see one little quarrel over spelling to keep this name from winning (Which, as of now, I think it should).
Or hell, change the "g" to a "j."

How about:

Petruby?

Petra (Greek word for 'rock') + Ruby (the gems on its body look kinda red -> ruby).

But... the Jap name for Nastly plot it Scheme iirc?
I vaguely remember it being called Scheme on Serebii before it was given it's official name.

Jap symbols: わるだくみ

What Bulbepedia says it suppose to mean: Sinister Plot

Google Jap to Eng translate to those symbols: Wiles. Stratagem is a synonym to Wiles BTW.

Edit: Even though Stratagem is similar to Wile, that doesn't means it can't think of good calming thoughts via Calm Mind. Stratagem is a clever name and regardless on what happens it probably make it to the polls.

Obselix/Obsetite
Obsidian/Obelisk + "ix" or "ite"

Sort of an amalgam of a bunch of things.

Obsidian is a type of dark colored, very precious rock. Obelisks were Egyptian monuments that had square bases that ended in pyramidal tops; they were made of stone and were placed in pairs at the entrances of temples. ( Click )
"Ix" was sort of a random sound derived from "isk" while "ite" is more reminiscent of stone.

As a fast Pokémon, I believe it would make sense to have a multisyllabic name, so I tried to incorporate that. That's just my opinion, though.
obsetite I think would give negative connotations, being a little too close to obselite. but I REALLY like your first one.

geomaly - Just off the top of my head, geo for obvious reasons and maly to emphasize the break the mold concept with a part of the word anomaly.

For the record I think Stratagem is off because it is an actual noun in English with a proper spelling. (As opposed to Onix, which replaces a Y with an I). It is also a noun for an abstract idea and not a physical thing, which is why Onix works because Onyx is a physical, tangible thing. The only places a stratagem can be is in your mind or on paper.

That and it doesn't really look all that stratified, at best it has two alternating rock colors. And I don't associate this with planning too much, it looks more like "KILL KILL KILL," but that's just me.
See Magnemite, Haunter, and Electrode for examples of pokemon that have real words as names.

Since the root is 'strata', it could simply mean that this pokemon forms from a single rock layer. It doesn't really have to mean anything except 'this guy is rocky'.

A post of mine got deleted somewhere above where I sarcastically criticized the attitude of those who were relentlessly advocating for one of the previously suggested names, only someone without an appreciation for wit interpreted it as a legitimate call to actually vote unanimously on the name and skip the poll.
In any case, I would like to suggest that there are no overwhelming majorities in favor of a particular name at the present moment. There have been several good names suggested, and I hope that people will not be silly enough to vote for a name that implies a move that we, the cowardly electorate for CAP, were not brave enough to give Rockmon.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There have been several good names suggested, and I hope that people will not be silly enough to vote for a name that implies a move that we, the cowardly electorate for CAP, were not brave enough to give Rockmon.
So now common sense is cowardly? I've been trying to keep my mouth shut for most of this CAP and this poll in particular, but this crosses the line. You're basically suggesting that we should have given this Pokemon one of the most broken moves in the game, a move that only 5 OU Pokemon get (Not including Weavile and including Syclant). Of those Pokemon, none of them have the movepool, the special attack, and the speed that this has. Azelf is the only one that comes close, but it still gets stopped dead by Blissey unless it goes mixed. Its one of the more broken things we could have done with this, and would have probably pushed it to uber, because then it turns into Sub/NP/Salac Darkrai with better speed. Granted, without subs Scizor and Metagross can easily revenge kill, but that doesn't make it any less broken. To suggest that we have no balls for making this Pokemon a little less powerful by not giving it Nasty Plot is absurd. It has 120 Special Attack, 130 Speed, two amazing abilities, two ways to boost special attack outside of Nasty Plot, and a movepool that rivals Azelf. This is what's wrong with CAP, people inherently want more. Next time around, I'm suggesting a one time Uber project just so you all can let it all out and get it out of your systems (and to see what an Uber really does to the metagame).

My second point is that the name really makes no difference. Stratagem doesn't have to mean that it plots against its opponent. It could mean that it has a strategy and carries it out, like suicide lead, or strategic revenge killer, or all out sweeper. I don't see why everyone is fighting over names, but I've noticed that with every flavor discussion/poll, everyone fights and nitpicks even more than normal. When is everyone going to learn that it doesn't matter whether this looks horny enough to use Megahorn, or if bandages look like skin that can be shedded? This process needs a major revision, and a major perspective shift.

I like the level of angst in the previous post. However, if there is fear, there necessarily exists cowardice.
At the same time, it must be realized that the power level that we as fans of a game rather than the creators have set is a rather relative and arbitrary one. Who is to say that the presently existing average usability of pokemon in the CAP metagame is an ideal one, and are we worse off if we should jostle that power level a little in the process of determining the range of possibilities open to a certain grouping of traits?

Also, Blissey considering stops Azelf, which gets Nasty Plot, and relegates the said elf to the position of suicide lead...

Also, I must agree with you that frequently flavor becomes too much of a factor in these arguments. However, whenever I argue based on flavor it is always to counter arguments that use flavor to restrict a pokemon's movepool or ability uncompetitively.
As for the name poll specifically, I simply assume that people are personally invested in the names they choose and thus feel emotionally obligated to defend them.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Deck Knight, Electrode and Ditto are two English words and Pokemon names that I can think of, and there might be even more... so there is precedent in giving a name that is a usable English word to a Pokemon.

Anyway, if you people deem that the name I thought of is not good, don't vote for it. Simple as that. I'm not even going to try to defend it anymore... you can tell me it's utter bullshit from now on and I won't even quiver. After all, what's in a name? I wouldn't give a fuck if you called it abcdefg or some stupid shit. And just to clarify, I'm not in any way implying that the names you suggested are stupid.

Yeah, so.. let's cool it. There's no use in getting so riled up over something as petty and insignificant as a name. Half the people don't even come on the CaP server to play with these guys and the people that do can nickname them to coincide with their favorite name!

Heh, I myself don't mind Stratagem. As you stated we shouldn't get too emotionally invested in this.

Perhaps people should just suggest the names and not criticize another person's name. Just vote, but not criticize. State which ones you like but don't point out the ones you don't like. It should be a rule, maybe.

aww..mine were ignored.. i support DJD's meteorion though. im not a big fan of strategem, because, in my opinion(rather not have somebody on my back saying how i dont have a right so say what sounds like a pokemon name and what doesnt), it doesn't sound like a pokemon name to me.

EDITED

Scylix
took the "e" out and put an ''i''.
Gramite("Gran" comes form "Granite". And "Mite" comes from Magnemite because CAP5 looks like its holding together due to Magnetism).

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Deco's Petruby
Caladbolg~'s Protolith
RiptideFugitive's Bolderdash
FlygonRuler's Gemite

This are my favorites. Yeah, I think that my submission have potential. Any comments?

Naming the Pokemon seems like the riskiest part of the process for some reason, the claws come out and/or people get very defensive. I like Flygonrulers Gemite, for no reason other than that it's short and sweet.

Cobrupt- An abrupt piece of cobble. Ha! There are my points for taking this too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)