CAP 5 Pre-Evo - Part 6 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Two discussions for the price of one! And since these discussions don't cost anything, you're getting two discussions for the price of any arbitrary number of discussions!

This thread is where we create, discuss, and determine the slate for this Pokemon's sprites. Sprites, of course, are the official representation of this Pokemon in all competitive avenues and what this Pokemon would look like in battle. This discussion and submission period will last a long time, so don't worry about any time crunch. If I have not posted a warning yet, then assume that you have at least 48 hours to craft your sprites. I will post warnings at 48 and 24 hours and will try to honor requests for extensions.

Here are the rules for creating and submitting sprites.

• Sprites should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.
  • All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 96x96 pixels.
  • All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite.
  • No action effects, move effects, environment effects or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon.
  • Sprites must be in PNG format.
  • Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
  • Use transparent backgrounds.
  • Fusions of other sprites are not allowed. All sprites must be scratch sprites.
  • Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. However, I am not a spriting expert and you are better off asking more experienced artists. Failure to follow these rules will result in your sprites being disqualified.

All legal Final Submissions will be slated. Make sure to label your sprites as a Final Submission if you want to be slated.

Wait...sprites? There's more than one? Why, of course there is!

There are 8 possible sprites:
  • Front Normal Male
  • Front Normal Female
  • Front Shiny Male
  • Front Shiny Female
  • Back Normal Male
  • Back Normal Female
  • Back Shiny Male
  • Back Shiny Female
For a legal final submission, you require both front and back sprites in both shiny and normal varieties. Gender differences are optional.
In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites.

Animations are not allowed in this thread.

You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites, but it helps. Since there are only minute differences between most in-game male and female sprites, it’s not very hard to tweak the sprite for a different gender. Some spriters have made noticeable changes between genders, and that’s fine too.

Shinies are just recolors, so that’s not too tough. There’s lots of people that can’t scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don’t want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you’ll get plenty of offers to help.

Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In simulators, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in the Team Builder and in battle.

Here is Malaconda's Final Product thread.

Our Pokemon So Far:

Art:

Type: Grass/Dark
Abilities: Harvest/Infiltrator
Stats:80/70/40/20/90/30
Name: Brattler

Go forth, artists of CAPland, and create likenesses of our Pokemon that would make giants quiver!

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

After sketching a bunch of snakes with the intent to avoid already-done poses, I ended up with this. The sprites' poses remind me of Wyverii's sprites, only with a shorter snake. :p At least that's consistent!

I was debating whether I should add a forked tongue or not; I think it looks cleaner without one, though it is included in the original art.

Here is my effort. I'm most likely trying to polish it more soon. I have to think how to make the tongue and tailthingy. Headleaf also needs work.

Btw, tell me if colors are legit, I didn't notice those had to be 8-bit RGB, and I don't really know what it means.

Hey. I'm trying to do the whole "8-Bit Truecolor" thing, but I have no idea where to find the available colors palette. Where can I find it?

Bummer that Aquakip didn't win. Now I had to sprite those difficult spikes again :p

Halfway I realised the pose is actually really similar of my malaconda sprite. But I like it :)

Welp, I decided to go ahead and make the sprite anyway. When the time comes, I'll try and make it fit whatever color scheme it needs to. Here it is:

Some critiques? c:

Looks great so far! I love the pose, and the expression looks really diabolical, which works nicely for the Poke. Looks a little shiny/stylised to be completely natural-looking, but I remember that earlier you mentioned that you prefer an amalgamation of your style and the official style. Don't really see any obvious errors - the only one might be that the body looks a touch stubby. It's definitely not that long in the chosen art, but I'd think that it's still longer than that - maybe pull it out a bit? Still looks great, though, and you naturally don't have to follow the chosen art to a 't'.

Nice! I really like the colours you chose and how you did the leaf on its head. I like its expression, too - I get a "come at me, bro" vibe from it, which makes sense given its evolution. I've noticed that there's a little line on the left side of the head, following the skull - does that have any purpose, or is it an error? The outline also looks a bit too light - maybe darken it a touch? The shading, however, looks great. One last tiny nitpick is that the base of the tail ornament - the part separated by leaves - is a bit too thin when compared to where it's supposed to meet up, and, as such, looks as though it kinda lost some skin or something. Sorry if that's cryptic, it's hard to describe, ehehe. I really like your sprite so far, though!

Ahhh, I really like your style. Always have. The colours, shading, pose - they all look great, and match very well to the original art. My only real complaint is that in yours, it's a little hard to see the lower jaw, so it's like your little guy has an overbite. Is it supposed to? Either way, great work - hopefully yours gets slated properly this time! [sorry if that sounds rude, not trying to be.]

Sorry for not helping you earlier, bro, but I didn't know the answer myself. :c
That said, I like where this is going. A great pose, and some nice shading going on. I really like how you did the eyes in particular. The outline, however, is a little muddy - maybe try darkening it to give it more definition? Also, you may or may not want to adjust the spikes on its back - they don't have to be symmetrical, but perhaps you intended them to be? Either way, it looks great so far, and I could definitely see it winning with a touch-up or two.

Here's my attempt:

That leaf on the head proved to be hard as hell to sprite, but I think everything else turned out fine.

Don't worry Shiruba, all you said I took as a compiment ^^

Here is the updated sprite:
-->

I changed the position is the right spike a bit and altered the color of the belly.
I also tried to make the head look more like the original design (with less overbite, even though I really liked that about the first design of paintedseagull)

comments:
Sgt.Moose: I like the pose, but I would let is fase to the other direction. Or repose it so that the tail is on the opposide side so babyconda has a reason to look to that side.
Scorpio: It is too small for my taste. other then that I like it.
Svanwill: I also can't aswer your question but I think you're safe on the color count ^^ Like shiruba I think it has great potential but the colors just look wrong too me. The outlines are to light-colored and the inner colors look too bright.
Quanyails: I like the pose, it's diffrent :) But I don't reallyl ik the shape of the head. I'm not shure what it is but I has something to do with the nose and the jawline. Sorry that I can't say anything more specific, I just don't know what it is :p

@noobiess: Well nuts. Wish I'd known how puny my sprite was compared to the others. Glad you like it otherwise though. BRB making it bigger.

EDIT: Here's the revamp. The head leaf proved hard to sprite again, but I think I got it okay.

@noobies: You may want to change that white background on your sprites, lest we have a repeat of the Malaconda incident. Other than that, this is probably my favourite sprite.

I would have liked to add the tongue but I'd run out of colors. I tried to go with minimal shading this time to match the Malaconda sprite.

Hello again. I've made some minor adjustments based on the critique. Big thanks to Shiruba and Noobies!

-->

Based on what was suggested, I gathered that I mainly needed to:

1. Darken the outlines
2. De-brightify the colors inside
3. Improve the spikes

While I had some trouble with #2, I think I accomplished most of what was asked for 1 and 3. Any more schtuff I should change?

I'm no spriter but Svenwill, I think the leaf needs to be at an angle a bit more because it looks like it is standing on top of the head at the moment. So try maybe sprinting the leaf at an angle. A good example of this is Sgt. Moose's who's leaf is just right

And Scorpio I think your sprite is a bit small compared to the others so try and make it bigger

Scorpio: Wow didn't see the pun there.(so it was sertainly not pun intended ;) ) I think you made a big improvement but I still would make it bigger.
Goldenbanana: Love it. I think it's my favorite so far :) But I also have some critique: the transition from the body on the ground and the part that is 'standing up' doens't look really smooth for me. I think it's because the 'belly-part' isn't going down for so long. It's also a bit on the smaller size. I owuld make it a bit bigger but maybe that's just me. For the rest I looks really nice :)
Svenwill: Your on the good path but I think the first 2 things or your list can be more exagerated. Btw, good job with the spikes ^^

CJorex, I will check my final submission a million times for this one ^^

Thanks for all the help, guys, but I have to leave for a camp later on tonight. There is access to computers, so I may be able to continue work, but I doubt that I will be able to. If all else fails, can someone take over with my sprite? I put a lot of effort into it and I would hate to see that go to waste. Thanks again.

Update:

Changes:
-Made him larger
-Tweaked the cone on his tail
-Changed the stripes on the underbelly to match the artwork
-Made his teeth more visible

If all is well, I'll start working on the backsprite.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been working on those Malaconda pre-evo sprites. :)

I've tried several poses to extend this snake, though after checking with some members in #cap, I ended up using the pose I started with. XD

Other than that, I edited some details, mostly around the head, of both sprites. I also have a shiny palette whose colors are still up for grabs.

Comments: (I'd put them in hide tags if the forum change has them)
  • Sgt.Moose: The sprite you have is quite smooth on every portion, which is nice for the shape of the main body, but less so for the leaf, which looks rather pillow-y. The shading or lines could be slightly thinner to portray the thin leaf. :) Besides that, great sprite for an aloof snake. I worry about having the backsprite; with pokemon that are facing away from the left (Timburr, Mandibuzz, e.g.), the backsprites face the right. The sprite should be fine, but I'm just notifying you. 8-big RGB means colors that can be expressed as a 0-255 scale of Red, Green, and Blue.
  • noobiess: You stylize your design well; the shape of the head and leaf are great, as is the pose (but it's seen before, which is a tad irksome). I don't have much to say; the seeds on the end of the pre-evo's tail are green rather than brown, but I'm sure that was an intentional choice. The rightmost green spike, from the slopes of the lines that it composes of, look like it's truncated at an angle rather than tapered. That's all. :)
  • Svenwill: The image's colors are still quite muted. Ah, is that your style? I'd go for near-black outlines, at least. The leaf stands on the snake's head rather than rests on it, so that could be something to edit. I like the shape of the head and contours. Contrast and head leaf are what could be edited.
  • Scorpio: The head is quite small, or the body is too thin and long. I'd suggest making the head larger and slightly toward the right. Additionally, the green spikes do not contrast well with the body. Interrupting the shape of the body with the left spike will make it more noticeable. The right one is fine.
  • GoldenBanana: There's something different about your choice of color or shading that I like. :) It's stylized, yet it still fits. The sprite feels a tad lopsided, and that's my only complaint! The rest of the sprite is smooth, has a relatively unique pose, and depicts the pre-evo close to the art it originated from.

Yay the forum is back up :)
Here is an update of my sprite:

I tried to be somewhat similar with the colors for the shiny compared to malaconda.
I probably will make my final submission soon because I'm going on vacation in a few days and I don't know if I will have acces to internet there.

Comments:
Quanyails: The green color of the seeds wasn't intentional ^^ Colorblindness for the win :p I really like your sprite and I think you should change the pose. I like that one the best. I'm not a fan of the shiny colors. They are a bit too flashy for my taste and the colors of malaconda differ too hard.
Goldenbanana: Much better. Can't wait to see the backsprite.

Here's my latest attempt. I made the body shorter and bulkier, made the head a little bigger, and some other things (changed the tail, made the eye bigger, changed the placement of the left spike). How is it now?

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Some feedback from me, sorry it's so late :(

Noobiess: I really like the pose and attitude of your sprites! The way you did his head is really cute too. I'd suggest some easy changes: The colour of the rattle at the end of the tail would look better if it was the same colour as the shadow colour used in his stripes and his eyelid (dark gold as opposed to green in the regular sprite, rusty brown as opposed to orange in the shiny sprite.)

Scorpio: Your sprite needs 2 things: Contrast and shape. Right now, the outline colours and fill colours are too close together. Also, when drawing lines that are on a curved, tube-like surface, those lines will not be straight, and will often have a bow at some point, like a U or a C. Improving these two things will give your sprite much more depth.

Quanyails: You've given him such a mischevious child-like look, which really works. On the back sprite, the eye appears too big. With that perspective, I think it would take on a more squished, oval appearance as compared to the front sprite's eye. On the shiny colouring, I think his eye colour could be brighter and more contrasting against his other colours. I like the red leaf on the shiny - it makes him look like a red-head :)

Golden Banana: The perspective on the body is very impressive. The cone is quite different from my artwork but you executed really well, I think it's an improvement to the design. When I zoom in, I see some weird things going on around his mouth, I'm not sure what that's supposed to be, maybe his teeth? I think it is too busy though, so probably best to simplify there, more like how it was in the first version.

Sgt Moose: Looks great. I think you could simplify the shading to be more in line with Gen 5 sprites, but it's ok if you disagree!

Svenwill: Your sprite looks nice, but I think it would benefit from increased contrast and simplification in the colour set you're using. Pokemon sprites tend to use as few colours as possible, I think. Small variations in colours like you have give it a painted look rather than a cartoony one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)