CAP 16 CAP 5 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

The backsprite was really difficult compared to the front sprite but I think it turned out fine.
I also made a quick version of a possible shiny version. Since I'm colorblind and I have no clue which colors match well, comments are more then welcome ^^

noobiess, your shiny coloration is actually my favorite this far because it is simple yet has key differences and gives Malaconda a real snake-like look. The back sprite is very good too. One critique Ill make is that the nose on the shiny is very dark and you can't see any detail so I would fix that

I think this set's hit its finished state, only really got the most minor of tweaks and shiny colour to mess with now.

Changelog:

More light added to the tip of the tail.
More headleaf touching (I really need a restraining order at this point).
Some more changes on the back's tail loop and underbelly to make it flow more smoothly.
Head narrowed down a bit.
Neck sculpted a bit on the back to show the jaw better.
First stripe on the frontsprite altered slightly.
Minor shading edits across the board.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
noobiess may believe himself to be clever, but I notice that his apple shinies merely swap apple colors on the genders!

It is a v. good sprite. I am going to have a nerve-wracking time choosing between it and Wyverii's as my fave entries...

Revised!

Before:

After:

Change log
Enhanced shading.
Extended neck slightly, and made spots on neck larger.
Smoothed out bump on first curvature. Good eye, Doom Chaos.
Reworked bands and needles.
Redesigned coil beneath head to be larger and more detailed.
Redesigned tail to raise apple higher and made apple larger.

CritiquesLovebite: Interesting style but I'm not sure it's cnsistant with the styple of B/W. Maybe some darker outlines to give it more definition. And what's with the red outline around the apple?

Scorpio: Yeah I'd lower the apple. It looks like its tail and head are in competition for the focal point of the sprite.

Elcheeso: I like the 10th shiny, the red one. Autumn colors are nice with apples.

Noobies: Awesome backsprites! I like the shiny colors too.

Wyverri: You keep making it better. I like how the eyes are more narrowed.

Revised!
CritiquesLovebite: Interesting style but I'm not sure it's cnsistant with the styple of B/W. Maybe some darker outlines to give it more definition. And what's with the red outline around the apple?

this what youre talking about? i definitely see what you mean. i think it looks way better.

I'm surprised at the sheer amount of good sprites here. The veteran sprites are nothing short of amazing, but the newcomers all do quite an impressive job.

Anyway I'm not competing because I want the sprites in here to win.
also because I'm busy

Anyway good luck have fun and this will be the best poll ever

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have updated my front sprite and I have a first cut at a back sprite:

I have a couple of different shiny colorings I am considering, and will post my favorite tomorrow probably. Comments welcome and appreciated.

I have updated my front sprite and I have a first cut at a back sprite:

I have a couple of different shiny colorings I am considering, and will post my favorite tomorrow probably. Comments welcome and appreciated.
My only concern is about the backsprite: it seems as if the head and neck area (if you could consider that part a neck) is a little bit too big when compared to the rest of the body, something that doesn't appear to be evident in the front sprite; I may be mistaken about the proportions, though...

My only concern is about the backsprite: it seems as if the head and neck area (if you could consider that part a neck) is a little bit too big when compared to the rest of the body, something that doesn't appear to be evident in the front sprite; I may be mistaken about the proportions, though...
i see it, too. that, and it doesn't appear to me smirking in the back-sprite like it is up front. still, the colours, the pose, the cocky demeanour... all look very awesome imo.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I updated the front and back sprites based on feedback, and I have made a shiny coloring:

The shiny coloring is intended to be an "Autumn" color scheme. With our Grass typing, a seasonal color theme for the shiny seems fitting. In addition, I thought the oranges and yellows and reds would be great colors for a pokemon intended to be used on Sun teams, since those colors are typically associated with sun, fire, etc. Last but not least, it's a bold, vibrant color scheme, and I tend to like bold shinies in general. I hope you like it too!

imho wyverii's sprite is simply perfect. but there are so, so many other good ones that it doesn't really matter to me which gets chosen, preference is wyverii's though

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Wow! I really like all the designs, but noobiess' especially; that smug grin on its face just fits right in flavor-wise! :) I think the back sprite looks a little bit bare, as it is without the stripes/spots of the front sprite, and only one cluster of thorns is visible. However, these are just nitpicks as this sprite is beautifully done, especially in the choice of colors used.

Also, DougJustDoug, I really like the shiny color; the bold contrast with the normal colors is really cool! I think the front sprite differs a bit from the back sprite in that the neck looks a little bit... bent? Anyways, I really like the design!

THESE DESIGNS ARE ALL REALLY REALLY COOL! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK EVERYBODY! :)

I had to force myself to finish this after seeing all the excellent entries.

I think I might have to adjust the color palette and his face; I'm not completely satisfied with either.

Ok I lowered the tail, how does it look?

Also, for the female version, I was thinking of using fig leaves for the laurel. Thoughts?

EDIT: I also have a couple versions of a potential backsprite, and I need help figuring out which one works best.

Yes, Goldenbanana's sprite is there :) I love the facial expression of the sprite and I think your sprite has a hight potential but there is still some work. I think the tongue is a little bit off. I looks too straight. Also the turning of the neck seems wrong. Maybe you should try making it turn to the other side. The tail also seems to come out of nothing. Because the body turns 'clock-whise' and the tail goes the other way, it looks very unnatural.

Here are some minor changes of my sprite:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have made a bunch of small edits to my sprites. You can see them in my first post, instead of clogging up this thread with eight images each time I make updates. :P I've went through six heads and I still have only adjusted it slightly. In contrast to some other sprites, the head has less of a distinctive snout; it is difficult to see from a more front-on perspective. The back sprite helps to make it more obvious.

Changelog:

• Made the body skinnier.
  • Made the ear leaves less erect.
  • Touched up the shape and shading of the thorns.
  • Made the face cleaner, even if that meant simplifying the contours it originally had.
  • Made the shiny colors more vibrant.
  • ..- .--. -.. .- - . -.. / - .... . / .-.. --- -.-. .- .-.. .. --.. .- - .. --- -. / ..-. .. .-.. . ... .-.-.-

Comments:
  • Vann Accessible: Very interesting pose you've picked. It's a change from the arched snakes we see, indeed, and I respect that. From a technical point of view, I would like for it to be smaller or shorter, so it fits with the length of snakes already present in Pokemon. Like some other sprites, your snake has an underbite. Angling the fangs instead of having them vertically will avoid that appearance. :P
  • Yveltal: Spots are normally round. o3o You had confusion otherwise? For anti-aliasing, you can use a color that you're going to use as shading elsewhere to stay in a limited color range; that's what I do.
  • Lovebite: Can you compare your sprite to other Black/White sprites? It stands out, quite honestly, grossly, with its size and stylistic choice. A less dramatic perspective and a smaller sprite in general will make it comparable to the sprites that already exist.
  • Scorpio: The apple still looks as if it's glowing--unless you want to focus on that, adding the darker outline will make it more consistent with the rest of the sprite. The head on the front sprite has odd placement of the eyes compared to the mouth. If the eyes were higher and toward the back of the head more or the grin smaller, the face would become more obvious. It's currently oddly proportioned, though, currently. As for the back sprite: I hope you make the ridges on the edge of the head prominent when you add in the green parts. :) I prefer the left image you provided.
  • noobiess: The lopsided apple is still there! D: But yeah, great otherwise.
  • Wyverii: I just noticed this, but the line and anti-aliasing at Malaconda's chin makes it look like it has a thicker outline in that area. I don't see much else to criticize. :P (I would like a sprite with a more prominent apple, but that's a personal preference, not a technical one.)
  • DougJustDoug: The underbite is still prevalent, but I see that the green spikes on Malaconda look like they are in two bands now. A criticism I have for the back sprite is that the apple, with its current shading, looks like it has lobes, while the front sprite has it round and without lobes. It's a small inconsistency that in-game sprites can have, but it was obvious enough to bring it to my attention.
  • GoldenBanana: Interesting pose; not too fancy, not too simple, and not used before. :P It's an average sprite with good shaping and pose, slightly less so with the face (I think the tongue looks too stiff and long). A nitpick, but the top loop of Malaconda's body has irregular lineart on its middle-right bottom side that makes it look like the band at the area has a bump.

Ok, so I edited the face and did some shading for the apple so it looks less glowy.

I also did a version with the leaves and the spikes shaded.

I adjusted the face to make it less "beaky," made the tonge smaller, refined the bottom coil, and tried to make the tail more believable. The color palette has been tweaked slightly and I also fixed the bump that Quanyails mentioned.

noobiess, the way I've got him coiling, I don't think it would make sense for his neck to turn the other way.

Here is another update on the sprite. I finally changed the apple, hopefully they look better now.

noobiess, the way I've got him coiling, I don't think it would make sense for his neck to turn the other way.
I quickly tried it and you're right. But still I think it doesn't look natural but now I just don't know how it should be to look natural

edit:
I noticed I had way to many colors so I had to cut back in the colorcount:

It looks a bit less but at least now I have 16 colors in stead of 21

Awesome work!
Really petty suggestion, but have you considered making one of the Apples Red? Seems little, but when I imagine the apple of knowledge, its always red for some reason...

I adjusted the neck; hopefully it looks better now. I also tweaked the body, made the eye spot larger, and added spots on the back of its neck, which I had forgotten about until now.

EDIT: Added the female and shiny sprites.

EDIT2: Experimenting with broader leaves for the female sprite. Any feedback?

I decided to go with the green and red apples for the gender diffrences.
This probably will be my final submission if nobody gives some comments

GoldenBanana: I think it looks much better now. The curling of the body still seems unnatural to me though. I also would stick with the smaller leaves
I really like the colors of the shiny version :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)