CAP 6 CAP 6 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tea and blues, I really like your design. I disagree with whoever said earlier that it doesn't look like a Water/ Fighting type. I think it is the very essense of the hybrid typing - it's a brawling pike with muscular arms for goodness sake! Because of its obvious typing, I don't think you need to make the body blue. I personally prefer your red fish, as it gives off a greater sense of grittiness and strength when compared to your cooler blue design.

If there is anything I could add to your already excellent design, I might add some large shoulder pads or shoulder shields just to emphasise the defensive nature of the CAP.

Just my $0.02.

LR.

LR you disagree? It looked steel because of its gigantic, golden, reflective head and the jeweled armor on it's shoulders.

But who cares about that now, since the new, patterned skull looks a lot nicer. I especially like the orange highlight next to the beginning of the dorsal fin.

A couple more slight adjustments to my "Spikey Shell Armour Plated Brawling Tortoise Mon". Hehehe. Most notable the eyes.

Still no thoughts or suggestions?

Edit: Agreeing entirely with Caladbolg~ that tea and blues' design look better and more "pokemonish" wiht the simpler design that Caladbolg~ picked out. Don't be to concerned with the Steel element involved. It's been said before that many pokemon have a "third" type incorporated into their design for sure.

Agreeing with Caladbolg~ again that DougJustDoug's last design does need to reduce the width of the torso while broadening the hips if you are truly going for a pokemon with a more feminine physique. You sure do love you bubble designs Doug! lol. Awesome concept though.

@aragornbird+
Awesome piratemon dude!! Hope color is on it's way. I'm liking the pistol more at the moment. Just completes the stereo type of the pirate really well. Plus, as you said, it give you a broader range of plausible attacking options.

I did prefer how ever when the bottom two tentacles (used as legs) still worked more has on extension of a "beard" from the face. Maybe if you let him sit lower down into those two tentacles again and brought them further forward as the "dominant" tentacles, it would work better. Allowing the to still be the "legs" but also lend the selves to the illusion of the bearded face again... Arhg!!! hehehe!

My two cents.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
All right, doing my final design.

The question here is, should one of the tentacles be a pistol? It would indicate a wider variety for the movepool, with ranged attacks and what not. Then again, most ranged attacks are special, which isn't this guy's specialty according to the base stats unless you look at moves like Gunk Shot or Ice Shard.
Still, what do you think?

The question here is, should one of the tentacles be a pistol? It would indicate a wider variety for the movepool, with ranged attacks and what not. Then again, most ranged attacks are special, which isn't this guy's specialty according to the base stats unless you look at moves like Gunk Shot or Ice Shard.
Well, I think pistols are too violent for pokemon, and there aren't that many
special moves that it seems like he could learn, so I'd say keep it as a boxing glove. It'd look kind of awkward with only one boxing glove anyways. ;D

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, I think pistols are too violent for pokemon, and there aren't that many
special moves that it seems like he could learn, so I'd say keep it as a boxing glove. It'd look kind of awkward with only one boxing glove anyways. ;D
I find that ironic since Pokemon is all about enslaved monsters beating the shit out of each other, then getting healed for another fight. I like the pistol, it gives it more character.

@tea and blues
I really, really like your red one. I think that it's possibly my favourite of all. I preferred the less patterned skull, but disagree with the comment that it looks too Steel-y.

@Aragornbird
I'd say without the pistol, personally. What colours are you thinking for it?

wow, this is such a great thread, so many good works out there. Although I'm surprised DJD's scuba guy is not getting too much love, I love that concept.

Also at the top of my list is nardd, if this was an official pokemon of course it'd be odd, but for this, it has so much charm and character I love it. Especially its fighting style.

Cartoon's is great, it's not too complicated either, I love the wrestling aspect of him, its great. Also the supporting material is fantastic.

And last at the top of my head is that fighting stork guy. So good.

Honestly you guys, I don't know what I'm going to do when it comes down to one on one vs any of those...

EDIT: I guess I'm in the minority I'm going to preditct, I'm in favor of a pistolless mon for aragorn's guy. Maybe it's because I just don't like too many things added to a pokemon (why the first submitted guy was iffy on me because of the paddel) and the two raised fists really bring out "fighting" more. Although I do like how the gun brings out the pirate, so I'm not really going to pout either way.

I've really grown to adore Nardd's drunkmon. It's a unique concept, definitely looks like he'd be 'Unaware' with the Spinda eyes :P
So for me it's down to drunkmon and Cartoons's luchasquid.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aragonbird, I'd stick with the pistol. Like tennisace said, it gives it more character and personality. Might also be useful in the movepool discussion for some diehard fanboys.

LR.

tea and blues your design is awesome. It was fine before the head embellishments but they look good too, maybe just too much detail for spriters to handle - but they have artistic licence so that doesnt matter.

DJD I like your bubble mon more than scuba man but personally i think a combo of both would have been Wkd!

Aragornbird - wkd new edits - I would keep the pistol, think it looks great and fits very well with the pirate theme just be warned some people might not vote for you if they think pokemon shouldnt have guns. I doubt it though, I mean we did make Pyroak!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You sure do love you bubble designs Doug! lol. Awesome concept though.
Yeah, this is the third CAP design where I have had some form of see-through effect. My CAP 1 and CAP 5 designs had glassy goggles, and now the water armor on this design. I admit I really like semi-transparency effects, but it is appearing to be a bit of an artistic obsession! ;-)

I really like your battle tortoise, BTW. Your color choices are perfect. With the bulky stat line we have for this pokemon, I think your beefy design suits it well.

I'm working on finalizing my submission, so I'd like some help on my concept.

2 different variations of the concept, with small differences, E.G. mouth, Coloring, Etc. Anyone think either one is better in any way?

Well, since it has four tentacles, i think two(the upper ones)should have pistols and the lower two should have gloves. It would be consistent and imo extremely badass. Great design aragornbird!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've changed up my preferred coloring slightly, and decided to go with red hair, instead of purple. For some reason, a little red helps convey the Fighting type (I think it's because the ingame emblem for fighting is red).

After Caladbolg pointed it out, I agree that the wide upper body and slim hips, are distinctly male proportions. I tried some alternative proportions for some of the bubbles, but I really didn't like how they turned out. Although I want a more feminine feel than my other designs, I'm not trying to make a Gardevoir-like female. I think the long hair and the slender arms and legs, probably goes far enough for what I was looking for. If the overall impression isn't very female, but somewhat gender-neutral instead -- I think that's OK.

The above coloring is my current preference, but I am seriously considering the two color schemes below.

(click each thumbnail for the full picture)

The blue one really hits home with the water typing, and the red one looks more aggressive. I'm still undecided as to the right way to go with the coloring.

I've changed up my preferred coloring slightly, and decided to go with red hair, instead of purple. For some reason, a little red helps convey the Fighting type (I think it's because the ingame emblem for fighting is red).

After Caladbolg pointed it out, I agree that the wide upper body and slim hips, are distinctly male proportions. I tried some alternative proportions for some of the bubbles, but I really didn't like how they turned out. Although I want a more feminine feel than my other designs, I'm not trying to make a Gardevoir-like female. I think the long hair and the slender arms and legs, probably goes far enough for what I was looking for. If the overall impression isn't very female, but somewhat gender-neutral instead -- I think that's OK.

The above coloring is my current preference, but I am seriously considering the two color schemes below.

(click each thumbnail for the full picture)

The blue one really hits home with the water typing, and the red one looks more aggressive. I'm still undecided as to the right way to go with the coloring.
I liked your older scuba concept way more. I guess I'm not much of a fan of the bubbles over bare flesh with disconnected arms and legs. I'd lose some of the visual effects too, since it just serves to distract from the overall design.

Also aragorn, I'd say go without the pistol unless you could work it in better. It just looks way too lopsided. Hell, I'd just say color in your first submission and do that since it looked much simpler and more unified.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Well, I have to finalize my design pretty soon.

So anyways, I erased any extraneous lines on the last drawing so that it looks more simplified. The pistol now looks sort of like a mini cannon, which still works since pirates use cannons all the time.

I'll be experimenting with color palettes tomorrow, after I go to the dentist to get my teeth pulled.

Well, I have to finalize my design pretty soon.

So anyways, I erased any extraneous lines on the last drawing so that it looks more simplified. The pistol now looks sort of like a mini cannon, which still works since pirates use cannons all the time.

I'll be experimenting with color palettes tomorrow, after I go to the dentist to get my teeth pulled.
I really did prefer it with the "extraneous lines" on the tentacles. I preferred the "pistol" design to the "cannon" design as well. Don't back peddle too much.

That said I still think it would look better if made the bottom tentacles (legs/feet) more prominent and brought to the front, with the main body sitting slightly lower into them. I think it would make them support as both legs and a beard like your very first design.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think that the tentacles look far better without the extraneous lines...

That being said, I also think that the pistol is not a very good addition to the art at all, it looks forced and makes the art awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)