CAP 6 CAP 6 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, a few of my images were too big last time around so I'll try posting them again.

This is my concept of a "Karate Octopus" in a few poses, and in a more attractive style.

You'll have to check out the links if you want to see the other images, sorry.

An example of how the thing might kick... now if only there were a few good kicking moves...

Posing

This is my image from the last page redone to look a little better. It no longer looks like a big blocky mess!

Punching
This image is rather sloppy... sorry. He could make use of CC or Focus punch with this.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I see a little to much swampert. I dont know if it was on purpose or not, but other than that it loooks great.
Maybe. A Water Monster will look like a Swampert in some way. But, like Cartoons! said, it have Atlantic vibe,... like a Guardian, more mystic with its trident.

Personally, I think they are diferent concept.

And I didn't color it yet.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
^

That's constructive. Thanks for the comment, Roserade, I'll change it. Stay alert! xD

EDIT: Where is the post??

Sorry, I deleted it. :toast: I'll repost it.

That's a good comment Flygon Ruler. Caladbolg, you could change the fins to armor plates, blades, or mini spikes.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Man, I really wanted to hold off posting my designs until we had a solid image of the stat build, but the way things are going, I'm going to have to post them now. I had to take pictures of them because I lost track of my printer cable but you can get a general idea of their designs.

*ignore the first mantis shrimp design, the updated design is on the next pic*

The bottom right design is pretty basic, a 'Creature From the Black Lagoon' type of design. It's a brawler merman with a gigantic jaw. Pretty much dropped this idea though, unless someone can convince me to keep the idea in mind.

The bottom left is a unique creature, a sea anemone. Okay, so sea anemones are more suited to being Water/Poison or Electric, but I though making a Fighting-type anemone would be pretty fun. I designed it like a chinese fighter with long hair.

This next image has another pic of the anemone fighter, and my final idea for now.

*Don't pay too much attention to the anemone in this pic, this was just to show a second pose. LONG ANEMONE IS LOOOONG lol*

My last idea for now is the mantis shrimp design, suggested by a few people on #cap lol. It's based on an old kung-fu expert, and it's much bulkier than it looks in the front (see small sketch by the claw the arrow is pointing to). Its claws can extend a bit further than its body length.

These are the designs I have so far, and I might have more on the way. All suggestion etc. are welcome.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Atlantis Attack!

I heard the suggestion, and I changed my submission:

I made the muscles biggers. Yet, I don't know if CAP6 will be physical or special, so, I'll improve it when we know that.

Man, I really wanted to hold off posting my designs until we had a solid image of the stat build, but the way things are going, I'm going to have to post them now. I had to take pictures of them because I lost track of my printer cable but you can get a general idea of their designs.

[Picture removed because it was huge]

*ignore the first mantis shrimp design, the updated design is on the next pic*

The bottom right design is pretty basic, a 'Creature From the Black Lagoon' type of design. It's a brawler merman with a gigantic jaw. Pretty much dropped this idea though, unless someone can convince me to keep the idea in mind.

The bottom left is a unique creature, a sea anemone. Okay, so sea anemones are more suited to being Water/Poison or Electric, but I though making a Fighting-type anemone would be pretty fun. I designed it like a chinese fighter with long hair.

This next image has another pic of the anemone fighter, and my final idea for now.

[picture removed because it was huge]

My last idea for now is the mantis shrimp design, suggested by a few people on #cap lol. It's based on an old kung-fu expert, and it's much bulkier than it looks in the front (see small sketch by the claw the arrow is pointing to). Its claws can extend a bit further than its body length.

These are the designs I have so far, and I might have more on the way. All suggestion etc. are welcome.
I like your see anemone idea very much. I think you should work your ideas out on the computer with clear black lines though, from what I've seen people take concepts more serious if the art looks good from the beginning.

@ Caladbolg, although I like it, it doesn't look very fighting-type to me. More like mono-water, water-steel, or possibly water-ice.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Caladbolg: Now it's better. I'm just not liking its feet, they're too... retangular? Could you try to make them longer?

Cyzir: I can't see the mantis pretty well, so I'm not commenting about it. The anemone, however, is a pretty clever design, but I prefer the first one. The second one seems too... tall. May be just a wrong impression, but still.

I like your see anemone idea very much. I think you should work your ideas out on the computer with clear black lines though, from what I've seen people take concepts more serious if the art looks good from the beginning.

@ Caladbolg, although I like it, it doesn't look very fighting-type to me. More like mono-water, water-steel, or possibly water-ice.

Yeah, Caladbolg, I'm going to have to agree with this. It does look mono-water, and even almost water/dragon-ish. I think you should make him holding a trident, and not make it part of his tail. It just makes him look a little too reptillian/dragonish. Btw it is a great first design and I hope your submission wins CAP this time, because I felt robbed when that happened to your Easter Islandmon.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Yeah, Caladbolg, I'm going to have to agree with this. It does look mono-water, and even almost water/dragon-ish. I think you should make him holding a trident, and not make it part of his tail. It just makes him look a little too reptillian/dragonish. Btw it is a great first design and I hope your submission wins CAP this time, because I felt robbed when that happened to your Easter Islandmon.
Thanks for the comments. But, there are several pokemons that doesn't look like its typing: Charizard looks like Dragon type, Sudowoodo looks like Grass type, Jynx doesn't look like Ice type, etc.

I made this pokemon with a weapon, a marine weapon [trident, you know, used by Poseidon or Neptune/o], to make it Water/Fighting. Also, its first type is Water, that's way I centred my design in an amphibius.

I don't want to give it a weapon like Farfetch'd, that's why I made its tail a weapon [a trident, I think is original, because is a marine weapon used by gods].

Cool idea Caladbolg. Something with a trident/nod to Greek mythology is a great idea for a water/fighting type. Since it seems the stats are going into the somewhat defensive i was thinking of something epic along the lines of milotic, but I don't know how to reconcile epic size and ninja in one. Kung Fu whale?

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cadalbolg, you could try giving your harpoon fighter boxing gloves or bandages around its hands to make it look more the fighter. Also, if you bulk up its arms even more and maybe puts some bands on it, not only would it give the art some interesting breaks from the skin tone, but it would make it look a lot 'tougher' too.

LR.

Prefer the First picture of the Chinese Sea Anemone myself, but I wouldn't mind if Mantis Shrimp won the art contest. A Combination of first and second draft design for Mantis Shrimp would be cool to see.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the comments. But, there are several pokemons that doesn't look like its typing: Charizard looks like Dragon type, Sudowoodo looks like Grass type, Jynx doesn't look like Ice type, etc.

I made this pokemon with a weapon, a marine weapon [trident, you know, used by Poseidon or Neptune/o], to make it Water/Fighting. Also, its first type is Water, that's way I centred my design in an amphibius.

I don't want to give it a weapon like Farfetch'd, that's why I made its tail a weapon [a trident, I think is original, because is a marine weapon used by gods].
I think it looks kind of weird holding it's tail like that. One of the things I saw in the Anime was the Gym Batttle with Lucario, where essentially it mimicked a real weapon. For instance, Metal Claw turned the spikes on its hand into those deadly looking spine knuckles like Wolverine. Bone Club materialized an energy club that Lucario used like a Bo Staff.

The forked tail idea like a trident works, but I'm not sure if grabbing it does. Maybe if it's tail was actually so long it wrapped around the body like a belt first. Otherwise maybe make some spear points on the hands and use them to create an energy trident or something.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Right now my favorites are Cartoons!, Atyroki (Finally spelled it right!), and Cyzir's if he continues developing it. Caladbolg also should develop his a bit more to look less like Swampert and more like Poisedon. It kinda looks like a Stage 1 Evo: More badass than the basic Pokemon, but could evolve again. However, it has a ton of potential, and I will be watching it. I also Like the Karate Octopus by TheMantyke, but it needs... something idk. Something to diferentiate it a bit from Octillary, maybe a color change and fists? I'm holding out for what Wyverii's cooking up =P

I hope you don't mind me asking, but could you at least remove some of the spikes off (on it's arms) and keep the trident-tail? Amphibians aren't really spiky, there more smooth and slimy. I just think that all of the ornamentation makes it look more dragony.

I like your new rendition a lot, Caladbolog. And to me, it looks like a Fighting pokémon, no doubt about it.

Although I have to admit I liked the fins more than the spikes xD Maybe, instead of round fins like Swampert, you could use more spiky fins, like the one here, or maybe shark-like fins.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I hope you don't mind me asking, but could you at least remove some of the spikes off and keep the trident-tail? Amphibians aren't really spiky, there more smooth and slimy. I just think that all of the ornamentation makes it look more dragony.
Actually, that gives it character. A lot of Pokemon have a "hidden type" in the art. Take Flygon for example: Dragon/Ground, but Bug and Flying elements are in the art. Same with something like Gyarados, it could have been a Dragon. Electrivire has some Fighting elements, as does Staraptor. Typing doesn't restrict art, it just guides it in the right direction.

I'm very fond of Caladbolg's design.

Cyzir's Mantis Shrimp is also pretty cool, although the first time I saw it, I immediately thought Corphish.

Water and fighting type decentraliser? I think I can do something like that...

It uses the Spirit Meter as a nifty staff from which it fires all manners of beam attacks as well as being a powerfu melee weapon.

@Caladbolg: I like your design, but one thing I would do to improve it is to maybe make the eyes narrower, so that it looks angry/aggressive. Most end stage fighting pokemon (aside from I guess Heracross and Breloom) have narrowed eyes, narrow triangular eyes, or are showing anger in some sense. Idk, it might just be me but it looks too "friendly" for me. I hope that's not an unwarranted criticism. Obviously this isn't something you have to listen to, just something I was thinking about. It's very nice work though, I like your style. I also like Legacy Raider's idea of having bandages or gloves on the hands.

Cyzirvisheen's Anemone Fighter would look cool as maybe a mix fighting water type. It has a strenth to it really well but it looks kinda wise like magical too. I think it has a really good concept to it

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I heard some suggestion.
Here's my 4th version [New record xD]:

Changes:

-War paint
-Longer Tail
-Bandages in arms and legs
-Spiky Fins
-Bulkier arms
-etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)