1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 6 CAP 6 - Attacking Moves Discussion - See Other Thread

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by darkie, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawman

Lawman

I am just going to post some possibly viable Attack Moves for some more discussion right now.I would be making a VERY long post if I were to reason behind all of them, so this post for the most part is to talk about more than the 15 moves or so I have seen in this topic thus far.:

Aerial Ace
    Avalanche
    Bounce
    Drain Punch
    Dynamic Punch
    Earthquake
    Fake Out
    Fling
    Force Palm
    Knock Off
    Low Kick
    Power Whip
    Psycho Cut
    Rock Slide
    Spark
    Superpower
    U-turn
    Focus Blast
    Icy Wind
    Water Spout

Hopefully I can get more involved in discussion tomorrow afternoon >_<
  2. Kharozz

Kharozz

I think Knock Off would be good because it's wouldn't be game-breaking and it could mess up some pokémon while still being tankish.
  3. Not Scicky

Not Scicky

I'd say Zen Headbutt would be a better choice over psycho cut, since none of the designs really look... cut... y...
  4. Lawman

Lawman

Forgot about Zen Headbutt, yea that would prolly be a bit better, heh. And iirc didn't aragorn's pirate squid have a cutlass? <_<;
  5. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Erh..tell that to Spinda, Mewtwo, Hypno, Alakazam, and Medicham. More than 50% of Psycho Cut user don't even have blades in which to cut so I don't know how that a problem.
  6. Not Scicky

Not Scicky

Aaah, so it does >>, Whoops...

@GT: ... Durp :(

I feel dumb :I

And Gyarados >>

Rule 1 of CAP: we can't make anything new, any pokemon we make has
    to conform to standards, and must look like this

[​IMG]

Kidding, but honestly, there are no rules saying we can't bend the game a bit :/

Also, it might not make sense for this thing to get Fire Blast but... slowpoke gets it and that's... just as bad... or worse
  7. tennisace

tennisace another eggnog, please
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Social Media Chief

That's considered a support move, like Rapid Spin and U-turn.
  8. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss

Couldn't agree with you me. If Wyverii's design wins, I would support to addition of Brave Bird and/or Drill Peck.

Dragon Claw yes, Shadow Claw not so much. Call me crazy but based on the in-game description to Shadow Claw, you don't really need claws to use it.

Code:
    Shadow Claw
    The user slashes with a sharp claw [B]made from shadows[/B]. It has a high critical-hit ratio.
    Now abusing this logic here, you could simply say that our Pokemon use the negative energy within the world to form shadowly claws to strike his foes.
  9. Not Scicky

Not Scicky

Registeel can use shadow-claw and he's got penis-fingers so... yeah :/
  10. Naxte

Naxte

In addition to that, that's pretty much what the anime's representation of it is; Zoe's Glameow forms extended claws made out of shadows when it uses it.

And claws don't really seem to be necessary based on the Pokemon that learn it anyway; Ambipom, Empoleon, Dialga, Darkrai and Giratina all learn it, but don't really have claws.
  11. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

This is from a while back, but anyway.

Unstabbed Ice shard does not do great on Salamence, intimidate or not, without substantial Ev investment. Donphan has 10 more attack points, but still will not 2hko. I do see it as a possible addition to a CB set or something, but without decent investment, salamence will just be able to roost off the damage.

Outrage and Double-edge just seem like logical moves to have. Easily tutorable and just better off mentioned. They do not always need to hit super-effective to be useful, because there aren't a huge amount of pokemon that resist them. I was just making sure the moves were mentioned, if anyone had intentions of using them in movepools.

In addition, Crabhammer should be at least up for discussion. There is no reason to discount it immediately, and is a viable alternative to aqua tail if this has a hammer instead of a tail.
  12. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss

Viable choice but Crabhammer implies it has pincers in which to hammer the living daylight's out it's foe which is ironic because Scizor has pincers as well and doesn't learn it. Admittedly though one could say CAP6 use actual crab/lobster for his hammers but that's animal cruelty.

BTW, Would a new move be appropriate at this time and age? Just had an idea about a replacement Fighting for those who don't like none of the side effects from Hammer Arm/Cross Chop/Close Combat.
  13. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

We have the choice of enough fighting moves right now, each with different drawbacks. It's for the user to choose what they really want, and we should not have to create a new great move, and ignore the limits given in the game.
  14. Solstice

Solstice

I'm just going to throw a few ideas out there that could work, like Needle Arm, it helps against some bulky waters, and it can work with fighting, without being displaced like Thunderpunch.

Crunch is viable if the design has teeth or powerful jaws, but even if it doesnt, if Girafarig, Snorunt, Corphish, and Treecko can learn it, its not THAT important that it matches.

Fire Fang could be used over Fire Blast, although it would lose a lot of power against Skarmory and other threats, it makes a bit more sense.
  15. tennisace

tennisace another eggnog, please
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Social Media Chief

I thought of that too, but Low Kick would work just as well (Cept on Blissey where it only gets 60 base power, but it should be fine.) I wouldn't be opposed to something like Paleo Wave though, as I've said before.
  16. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

What is going on in this thread? We just had a huge PR thread to change the way movepool is discussed and there were a whole slew of guidelines written -- I know because I spent a lot of time writing it up and adding them to the process guide. Yet this movepool thread is the same bullshit "everybody throw out random ideas and post lists of moves" that we have had in the past.

Here is what the revised process guide says about move discussions beyond what is currently posted in the OP:

I don't see any rules posted, nor do I see this process being followed. Let's get this straightened out.
  17. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss

You know, I actually forgot about Low Kick. Low Kick does look like a good substitute for Hammer Arm/Cross Chop/Close Combat though I'm alway iffy about variable BP'd moves.

Personally, I was going to suggested an 40 powered move that's like the love child of Quick Attack and Pursuit. Has Daddy's high priority plus Momma's doubling and pursuit ability. You stay in and eat an 80 BP stabbed move, you switch out and you eat an 80 stabbed move on the way out. I do admit, this idea seem better fit on a trapper rather than a decentralizer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)