1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 17 CAP 6 - Name Submissions

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by paintseagull, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jagged_angel

jagged_angel

Frigadier (spelt that way) and Rankor (spelt that way) would be my picks!
  2. paintseagull

paintseagull pink wingull
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator

To people making names with Frigate: it's pronounced frig-AT. Please don't encorporate the "gate" sound.
    Nebuchadnezzar and capefeather like this.
  3. vyomov

vyomov

Aviregis
    It's essentially latin for "bird ruler" which makes sense with the design of CAP 6 seeing as it looks like a ruler
    Nebuchadnezzar and SecondStarmie like this.
  4. The Leprechaun

The Leprechaun

Wow i thought i didn't realise everyone was gonna use the word 'avian'

Anyway here's my submission: Avyiron

A mixture of Avian and Iron.

Wasn't sure how to spell this but i wanted it to be pronounced Ay-Vee-Eye-On. Possibly Aviron would be better. I wasn't sure.
  5. Namso

Namso formerly Fuzznip
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Belair

Belly + Air

he fresh mang
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  6. Homeslice

Homeslice

WIP 1
    Admirate
    Admiral + Frigate
    Pronounced Ad-mer-at
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    alexwolf likes this.
  7. Nyktos

Nyktos Custom Loser Title
    is a Pre-Contributor

WIP: Ironclave
    Pronunciation: iron + klave (rhymes with "rave")
    IPA: /aɪərnkleɪv/

From ironclad (a kind of heavily-armoured warship which is similar to a frigate) + Aves (the biological class birds are in). The real singular of aves in Latin is actually "avis", but I went with "ave" for the ending instead because it sounded better.
  8. Oglemi

Oglemi I ask consent before I thrash anuses.
    is a Tournament Directoris a member of the Site Staffis a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    C&C Leader

Frigateer

Frigate (bird) + Buccaneer

(Frig-a-teer)

just a different way of spelling/pronouncing the name that's been kinda brought up
    capefeather and Nyktos like this.
  9. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

V4Victini / Deck Knight / Oglemi

Frigideer/Frigadier/Frigateer is my favorite name in the thread so far. I definitely agree with DK that Frigadier is huge improvement over V4's spelling. But I think Frigateer is probably the best name of all three. I list it with the other two, because I kinda think this should be one name submission. Maybe not, but you three + CAP mods probably need to sort this one out.

Magistrum's Cawmodore is wonderfully creative and I absolutely love it spoken, but seeing it written looks awkwardly off-putting. Still a fave of mine though!
    mien likes this.
  10. Sparky Young Upstart

Sparky Young Upstart

WIP

Captern

Captain + Tern (a kind if seabird)
    Pronounced CAP-tern

Hulbatross

Hull (the outer body/belly of a ship) + albatross
    Pronounced Hull-BA-tross

Kinda partial to the second one myself...
  11. Base Speed

Base Speed What a load of BS!
    is a Pre-Contributor

Since my initial idea of Ancaw has already been taken (twice)

WIP:
    Leadmiral

Lead + Admiral

It's supposed to be clever because "Lead" can be both the metal (being dense, I'm guessing at some point in history people have made anchors out of it) or a reference to it leading people with it's high military rank.

What do you guys think?
    TheMetaPhoenix likes this.
  12. Nyktos

Nyktos Custom Loser Title
    is a Pre-Contributor

My problem with Leadmiral is that my initial instinct is to pronounce it as "Leedmiral" and I didn't even think of lead-the-metal until seeing the description.

Names I do like include Cawmodore and Frigateer (which is the best spelling for sure on account of not looking like "Frigidaire").
  13. Rising_Dusk

Rising_Dusk
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Frigoon

Etymology: Frigate + Goon

I am genuinely surprised this hasn't been submitted already, because it fits in lots of ways. First and foremost, obviously this is a frigatebird and it looks it, so carrying that into the name is good. Secondly, the word goon indicates a type of attitude, an attitude of take no prisoners and punch and fight your way through sticky situations. Sometimes goons are hired thugs, sometimes they are lackeys, but they're all scrappers and tough as nails. I think that suits the attitude in the art and the type of CAP being made at large. Lastly, a goon bird is short for a gooney bird, which is an albatross, which carries many similarities to a frigatebird. The combination of the two words together really fits the CAP, and plus, it's a simple name, so I like it a lot (and doesn't have and major crazy spelling issues).

Either way, cheers.. And it's nice to be posting in CAP again.
    DetroitLolcat and Nyktos like this.
  14. srk1214

srk1214 That ain't Hoopa!
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

IMO Frigadier > Frigateer > Frigideer

And as such, I'm loving Frigadier and Cawmodore.
  15. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Flapper the Zubat = best scramblemon
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

xBIRDx
    GO HARD OR GO HOME

Anyway, I'd like to suggest Boombern.

The "boom" comes from the concept of Belly Drum, mostly, but also applies to the Navy inspirations in the art if you take "boom" from an explosion.
    "bern" is a cross between "bird" and "stern," which is the back of a boat. It can also be taken from tern (a bird) but terns are pussies.
  16. wdistance

wdistance

Seabrawl.

sea + brawl

Rhymes with seagull.
    "Sea" for the nautical theme.
    "Brawl" since he/she is looking for a fight.
  17. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Korsair

Respelling of Corsair, a nautical privateer and also the name of a famous fighter plane which is, of course, Flying/Steel!

also considering

Commandair (Commander + Air)

But I like Korsair a lot better because it is simple and easy to figure out, which I like in pokemon names.
    mien, TheMetaPhoenix and capefeather like this.
  18. V4Victini

V4Victini [22:01] <&Stellar> I'm gonna edit ALL the YAML files
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcher

Yea I think Frigadier is the best spelling of the name as well
  19. Eagle4

Eagle4

WIP

Gularpagos
    (Gular pouch and Galapagos)

Galapagos is where our frigatebird friends are commonly found, gular pouch is their throat pouches as well as linking to Belly Drum.

Druminbird
    (Drumming and Bird)

<srk1214> (but seriously someone should submit Druminbird)
    srk1214 likes this.
  20. topher4167

topher4167

So far, I'm really liking Quanyails 's Captavian, Magistrum 's Cawmodore, and DougJustDoug 's Korsair. I like Frigadier, but here's my problem with it: it's only one letter different than Frogadier (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Frogadier_(Pokémon)). I don't like being that close to another pokemon. I just don't think that name would work. So with that, I have another idea for a name:

Brigavian

Brig + Brigand + Brigadier + Avian

I really like this name, and think it fits the concept well; at first I was going with brigand and avian and I just figured brig and brigadier count too lol. I also still like Anchair; i think it fits well.
  21. Vansalon

Vansalon

The two ideas I was rolling around in my head were something having to do with the gular pouches or a play on the word brigand or some variation of it. I should have known I would be beaten to both of those.
    My favorites so far are Corsavian, Cawmodore, and Frigadier.
  22. Arkaious

Arkaious

Crowvet

Crow+Corvette (type of battleship) or Veteran

Pronounced: CROW-vet

IPA: crowvet
  23. LimaPro643

LimaPro643

Fregaweigh

From Fregatidae, the family to which the Frigate bird belongs and the term "Anchors aweigh" used by sailors

Pronunciation: FREG-uh-way

IPA: frɛgəweɪ
  24. Lolk

Lolk you can't stop the beat
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

i am cool with any name that has caw in it.
  25. Namso

Namso formerly Fuzznip
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Not a fan of the "Frig" names, as pronouncing that is ugly to me. I like the "Caw" names, however. Lots can be done with that. Here's my more serious name suggestion that I like for its simplicity and brute-sounding pronunciation.

Cawnchor

Caw + Anchor

Pronounced as the word "conquer," as this bird is the conqueror of the high seas.
    Lolk, dwarfstar and Nebuchadnezzar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)