CAP 17 CAP 6 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A strong win on art from Magistrum - now let's make a great name to match :)

All final submissions will be slated as long as they conform to the submission rules, so please read them carefully. Breaking the posting rules can also result in disqualification.

RULES:

Legal name submissions must meet the following standards
  • Names must start with a capital letter.
  • Names cannot be longer than 10 letters.
  • Names can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 1-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Period (.)
    • Space
  • No more than two capital letters can be included in the name, and capital letters cannot be consecutive.
  • A maximum of two non-letters can be included in the name, and a maximum of one non-letter of each type can be included (ie. You can't have two numbers, or two apostrophes, but you could have one number and one apostrophe)

WIPs
Work In Progress (WIP) Names can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Names can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with lists of Names. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP names by posting them repeatedly, or making minor spelling changes of a letter or two. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all names by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Final Submissions
Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person.

Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread that final submissions are open. Any Final Submission posted prior to the Moderator notification post will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that there is some time for discussion and that all submitters have equal opportunity to post Final Submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Final submissions must provide one sentence (25 words maximum) explaining the etymology of the name.

Final submissions must provide a common English pronunciation. The common pronunciation can be made in whatever format you feel best conveys the pronunciation to most English speakers. (You may optionally also provide an IPA pronunciation. For information about IPA and processing words into IPA read this guide: IPA For English. There are also numerous phonetic translation tools online that can help.)

Format
Name Final Submissions must be posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • The Name submission in bold.
  • A blank line
  • A one line description of the etymology of the name or why it is appropriate for our Pokemon.
  • A blank line
  • "Pronounced: <common English pronunciation>"
  • "IPA: <IPA pronunciation>" (optional)
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:
--------------------------------------
Final Submission

Syclant

A combination of "Icicle" + "Ant".

Pronounced: "SICKLE-ant"
IPA: sɪkəlænt

This name was originally submitted by Lawman on the very first CAP project. I think it's a great name, even though almost everyone mispronounces it!
--------------------------------------

Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.

--------------------

CAP 6 so far:
Art:

Name: Show Me Your Moves!

General Description: A good user of moves with effects not frequently used in the OU metagame.

Justification: There are many moves in Pokémon with great effects, but they often end up unused. Moves such as Gravity, Snatch, and Safeguard have potential in OU, but they are neglected for several reasons: the moves are apparently overshadowed, have poor distribution, or are inefficient compared to another strategy. This CAP uses a combination of typing, ability, and stats to make these underused moves not only feasible, but also capable.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • What mechanics of Pokémon determine how viable moves are?--not only the Pokémon's typing, stats, and ability, but also its interaction with playstyles and momentum.
  • What new strategies might emerge by giving a new OU Pokémon underused moves?
  • What challenges do Pokémon that use lesser-used moves face compared to ones that use a more standard moveset?
  • If the Pokémon has options of staple OU moves (high-powered STABs, offensive stat-boosting moves, reliable recovery, Substitute), will those moves be useful to it, even if it's specialized toward a separate and distinct strategy?
  • Can underused moves increase other underused moves' viabilities?
  • Can one user of a strategy unrecognized in a metagame massively influence a pre-existing playstyle?
Typing: Steel / Flying
Abilities: Intimidate / Volt Absorb / ???
Stats: 50 HP / 92 Atk / 130 Def / 65 SpA / 75 SpD / 118 Spe

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Captavian or Corsavian are my two similar-but distinctively-different name ideas I've conjured, derived from the structure of Wyverii's Cascavian. The debate on which name to go with depends on visual versus auditory pleasantness.

Captavian

Captain + Avian

Pronounced: "Cap-TAY-vee-un"
IPA: kǽpteɪviən

Corsavian

Corsair + Avian

Pronounced: "Core-SAY-vee-un"
IPA: kɔ́rseɪviən

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Work in progress:

Cawptain

It's pretty self-explanatory. Combination of "caw" and "captain". The former is a noise that birds commonly make, and I'd like to think that our feathered friend here is no exception. He's also clearly not some sort of laborer aboard a ship. No, he's the head honcho, the captain! I've always loved names that are a bit more on the silly side, and I think this name has a good combination of lightheartedness and sensibility.

I like Quanyails' "corsaivian"
But I'm going to make my own suggestion of
Aerdmiral or Admaero

it's a work in progress so far and I might shift the spelling or order of the words somewhat in the next day or so, and I'll give the pronunciation and etymology later, but for now I'm posting this as my direction,

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Turretross
Pronounced: "Ter-eht-trahss"

Turret + Albatross

A turret is an enclosed armored rotating cylindrical box mounting guns which fired through gunports, specifically when talking about ships in this regard. Hints at both its Steel typing and its nautical theme. The Albatross is a seabird, much like the frigate bird. They have long beaks and feast on fish as food.

Last edited:
Borrowing from Quany, why not go simple?

Navian (alternate spellings pending)

Navy= Marine armed forces, tying into both the rank and the anchor beak, and it flows directly into Avian, or bird related, as has already been discussed.

Last edited:
WIP

Cap. Crow

Captain + Crow (Also said as such)

We already have Mr. Mime as a precedent, and I think it is incredibly self explanatory. Was going to go with Cap. Byrd, but I realized that alliteration was the only thing that made Mr. Mime work. Also, I really wanted to swoop in and take this idea..

Just thought that this majestic bird needed his title! "Captain" doesn't flow with any other words that i liked...

Damn, someone got Navian.

Windlash (Windlass plus action sounding word)

Keelhawk (Keelhaul + Hawk)

Magullet (Magellan+Gullet). It was either that or Colombuff, which is ridiculous

Last edited:
I'd be hesitant to support names such as Fulccaneer, Turretross, Cap. Crow, or Keelhawk. This CAP is based on a frigatebird, after all.

Also, Frigideer reminds me too much of Frogadier.

It's also interesting that this design encompasses both buccaneer/pirate/etc. and admiral/captain/naval officer. The design looks more naval, but frigatebirds have been called Pirate birds. I guess it can go either way!

I like Cawptain and Magullet best at the moment.
------------------------------------------------------​
WIP
I'll throw out Ranchor right now. Rank (as an admiral, he ranks right near the top!), rancor (animosity, ill-will; like when he beats his belly and attacks mercilessly), and anchor.

Harbird
Harbor + bird. "Har" also invokes "hard," a nod to its steel typing.

Bullydrum
Bully + Belly Drum. As this CAP is a merciless attacker and high-ranking official, he can be a bully.

Last edited:
I've been trying to think of a name for a while but nothing is going to top Corsavian. Strongly supporting that right now.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
WIP's for now:

(Birkal's gonna hate me for upstaging his name with this one >_<)
Cawmodore (Caw + Commodore)
Easy to the tongue, and disambiguation comes from both a common bird sound and a pretty high navy rank (basically a ship squadron commander).

Aviarmada (Avia + Armada)
Maybe I'll work on altering this a bit since it's quite a mouthful to say, but I think the idea is cool since I like the word armada (spanish for naval fleet).

Will edit for pronunciation and IPA later.

Bucawneer
A simple mix of buccaneer and caw

Anchaw
Anchor and Caw (probably change the spelling)

Admairal
Admiral and air

My names are very simple, but they are easy to say.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Sparadmral

Spar + Admiral

Pronounced: "SPAR-ad-mrr-ul"
IPA: spɑrædmrəl

In the fine Feraligatr and Victreebel tradition, a little bit of slant lettering to get the concept across. The "er" sound is shortened to a straight consonant "rr" sound like the "n" in "Cap'n"

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Work in progress:

Cawptain

It's pretty self-explanatory. Combination of "caw" and "captain".
May I suggest 'Cawtain' as an alternative spelling? The p feels awkward while pronouncing it, but on the other hand, the pun might be less obvious without it.

Cawmodore (Caw + Commodore)
Easy to the tongue, and disambiguation comes from both a common bird sound and a pretty high navy rank (basically a ship squadron commander).
I like this. There's also 'Cawmander' (Caw + Commander) that's even easier on the tongue but not as high in rank.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Frigideer

Frigate/Frigid + Buccaneer

Looks like a strong man of the sea... despite it looking like a bird. Also Frigid is sounds like Frigate, the bird it's based off of.
My recommendation would be to spell it Frigadier -

The combination being "Frigate" and "Brigadier" as in "Brigadier General." This avoids direct association with "Frigid" and inherently inserts the word "Brig," a nautical jail, into the description.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Unfortunately Anchor just isn't an easy word to fit into a portmanteau (or a starboardmanteau). I thought of Ranchor too, but it looks too much like, and thus might be presumed to sound like, Rancher for my taste. Maybe I'm just being too stern. I thought of Cawmodore too, but Magistrum beat me to the punch, for which I bow down to him. (ok I'll stop with the bad puns now...)

Doubt I'll come up with a better name, but here goes:

I wanted to incorporate the Drumming concept in with the military theme. Unfortunately, the Navy doesn't really have as much of a history with military drums as the Army does. Still, one word seemed to fit. Doldrums. These are maritime areas generally near the equator with low wind that are very dangerous to sail through, since they can cause you to massively slow down. Notably, frigate birds live in many of these areas. This is also used metaphorically today to refer to slow periods in someone's life/business/etc that can cause depression. I think being swept by CAP 6 might do the same. In typical English usage, only doldrums (plural) is really used, but that doesn't sound right for a Pokemon, so the singular doldrum will be the base. From that, I have created

Doledrum, Goldrum, and Scoldrum

In the first case, this refers to the drumming that goes on and the damage it can dole out. The second instead tries to invoke the golden design elements and maybe even a rum reference to pirates. The third obviously combines scold with my base word. I do think Goldrum starts to lose the obvious connection to doldrums though. Leaning towards Scoldrum.

Tweaking my former thought, I think I prefer Naviary (knave-ee-AIR-ee)

This one works in at least four different ways.

First, you have the word knave (might include the k come to think of it) as the classic scoundrel or rouge, certainly possible of sailors. Also a term associated with knights, bringing up our steel typing.

It also includes Navy, obviously a reference to the admiral or captain motif. Then we have the double reference to flight between the word aviary, and (cheating slightly) "air" and "airy" in the same word.

And what is an aviary usually made of? Also metal!

The fact that it rhymes with "scary" also pushed the Intimidate ability slightly

I'm probably making this one my final when it's allowed.

Last edited:
Anchair

A simple combination of anchor+air. I don't know how much I like it, but it was the first good name I could come up with at 6:00 in the morning.

Brassail or Brassailor

Pronounced brass-SAIL or brass-SAIL-er.

Combination of brass (the metal that the buttons on CAP6's jacket appear to be made of) and either sail or sailor (alluding to this design's nautical theme).

So far I'm also liking Captavian and Cawmodore.

Flygate

Source: Altered form of Frigate, also incorporates the idea of a flying gate (Steel/Flying).

Prounced: FLY-Gate
IPA: flaɪɡeɪt

Perhaps too similar to Flygon...shmeh

WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)