CAP 17 CAP 6 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I'm going to have some fun with this step.

Sephiroc

Pronunciation: SEFF-ih-rawk.

Seraph+Roc. Seraph referring to angels, as this Pokemon soars with the angels in the high skies, and Roc refers to the legendary bird from Arabic mythology. You can guess the double entendre here, hehe.

I'll add in a couple more as they come to mind.

Okay, I got one:

Garaida

Pronunciation: ga-RAY-duh

The name comes from Garuda, a large bird from Hindu and Buddhist mythology, and Raid/Raider, because 1. Frigate birds steal food from other, smaller seabirds, and 2. Because another name for frigate bird is pirate bird, and pirate were raiders.

Jeez I've spent way too much time thinkung abiut this. Currently I have two ideas:

Admiralloy (Ad-mur-AHL-oy)
Admiral + Alloy. Admiral is the highest naval rank and an alloy is a refined combination of metals.

Aermiral (AIR-mur-ul)
Admiral + Aero. Pretty straightforward.

I like both of these names, but I think Aermiral sounds smoother.

WIP 1

Cradmiral

Pronounced CRAAD-mih-ruhl
crow + admiral

Alcyern
Pronounced al-SAHY-urn
From Alcyoneus (a figure from a Greek myth explaining why crows came to be black) and stern

Perraidor
Pronounced PARE-a-dur or pare-RAID-ur, I can't decide which sounds better
percussion + raider. The -dor ending invokes condor, and also it looks better.

Alcyern is my favorite... I was going to list others in the thread that I liked, but there are too many. :pirate:

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP (2)

Drumatik

Drum + Dramatic

Pronounced: "DRUM-at-tic"
IPA:drʌmætɪk

So named because of the effect CAP6 will have on battle. Worked in #cap with some members to finalize.
GET IN MAI BELLAH DRUM!

Last edited:
Well, here goes something:
Corsaerial or Corsairial

Like Quanyails' Corsavian, it comes from Corsair, another term for a privateer, and avian. The spelling will depend on whether we want to stress the naval theme or the avian theme, its up to the community. If this gets cut out, I guess i know which name i'm voting for instead!

WIP

Fregalloy

Frega from the scientific name for frigatebird, Fregata

Alloy from online thesaurus a mix of metals, symbolizing dat steel type.

Pronounced: FREG-uh-loy
IPA (why does this exist): frɛgəlɔɪ

Lacepedore

Lacepede from Bernard Germain de Lacépède, who gave the frigate bird its scientific name

Ore from ore, symbolizing Frigatebird's Steel typing.

Bonus: first syllable of lacerate, which is a very threatening word, and threatening words are good for things meant to destroy the opponent's team.

Pronounced: LASS-uh-pee-dore (like the word door)
IPA: ugh no later

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Anchoredge
Anchor (like on its beak, and can be considered the "anchor" of the team) and edge.
Feel free to change the spelling if you want.

EDIT: Achoridge looks a LOT better, thanks paintseagull!

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Gonna post a WIP here:

Navygate

Etymology: Navy (Derives from the Pokémon's naval theme) + Frigate (This Pokémon is a Frigate Bird)

Pronunciation: "nay-vee-gat"
IPA: I will learn how to do this soon...

I basically wanted to combine the species of the name with its theme. It just so happens that it also looks like a misspelling of Navigate as well, which also ties into the naval theme a bit as well.

Here are my three WIP's... Any feedback would be appreciated, especially on the D in Drum/Rumbuckler.

Ballastian - Combines Ballast with Avian. Ballast means any heavy material carried on a ship to provide balance. I figure the bird's steel parts could be considered ballast on the "ship" (his body).
Fowlor - Fowl combined with Sailor, it's pretty straightforward.
Rumbuckler - This one started as Drumbuckler as a nod to Belly Drum, but it sounded smoother without the D, so it is a subtle nod to Belly Drum and the pirate's drink of choice: rum. That combined with swashbuckler gets you Rumbuckler!

I like the name Frigadier, but I think it should be noted that Frogadier is soon to be released in XY, which for me makes it a little late to use the name.

Last edited:
Kawnrad

Phonetically identical to Conrad, with the 'Caw' pun everyone seems so fond of.

Reference to Joseph Conrad, who authored Heart of Darkness. Good sailor name

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
WIP
Admiral o' Avian

lets make this the first CAP to have an apostrophe
with 16 characters...

throwing support behind Navygate, Captavian, Cawmodore, Ancaw, Frigateer, Captern and Commandair

Frigate Birds are actually related to Pelicans and are sometimes called Frigate Pelican so I'm thinking something like Nautican or Pelicanaut.

Last edited:
WIP

Gul-O-War
pronounced: "Gull-oh-wore"
IPA: gʌlɒwɔ:r

Man-o-War birds, thought a hyphenated name would stand out (similar format to Will-O-Wisp). Gul from Gulls and the Gular sac on its chest. Considering Gull-O-War, Gulowar, Gullowar, which seems best?

WIP 1
Navitalon

Navita (Latin for sailor) + Talon

I love to put things from other languages into my names (mostly greek since I can read it and latin for the same reason) and I looked at navita and thought of anything that would flow from it and thought of talon.

Pronounced: nu-VEE-ta-lin
lol I just realised navi could refer to navy but I will stick with the latin

Last edited:
Admistral

Admiral + mistral(a regional wind in France)
Trying to keep with the sea-bird theme, while still making it sound somewhat military-ish.

I got another one:

Bawkaneer

Pronunciation: baw-KUH-neer

Name comes from Bawk, which could be roughly classified as onomatopoeia for a noise a bird makes, and Buccaneer.

Okay, well I'm going to make this my "official" post for my nicknames, after coming up with a third one...

Brigavian

Pronunciation:
Brig-ay-vee-in
IPA: BrIgeIvi:In

I think this one is my favorite, and that's why I listed it first. It is a combination of brigand, brig, brigadier, avian, and even frigate a little, I guess. If I had to pick one to finalize, right now, i would choose this one. I really like it (:.
Anchair

Pronunciation:
Ank-air
IPA: ænkʰeɚr

I don't love this one, but I don't hate it. It is a combination of anchor and air.

Bucawneer

Pronunciation:
Buck-caw-near
IPA: Bʌkʰɑniɚr

This is my new one. It is a combination of buccaneer and caw. I'm thinking about switching the spelling to add a K right after the C, or adding a second C.

What do you guys think? Which is your favorite? What should I change?

Last edited:
WIP II

Peakawl

Pronunciation:
Pea-cahl
IPA: Pikɒl

His peaking hat is a feature that i haven't seen anyone else mention, and so i mixed this with the word brawl. Unintended side effects of this where the word "Caw", and the similarities to Peacock. But both birds have bright plumage for finding mates, so i didn't think of it as a deal breaker.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have two WIP names right now:

Gustern : Gust + Stern (nautical term for a location on a ship). Also invokes Tern (a type of sea bird)
(GUS-tern)

Fregale : Frigate (genus fregata, also Frigate is spelled fregat/fregata/fregate in other languages) + Gale (a term for a category of strong winds, often used in marine forecasts). Also invokes Regale, as a boastful sailor would do after a wild adventure at sea
(fruh-GAIL)

With my names I wanted to make people think of a hardy sailor out to sea, with nautical words and weather words.

-------------------

Comments:

toxicroaker Navitalon doesn't really flow, sounds awkward

Karxrida Maybe Achoridge, with ridge instead of edge? I'm not sure I'm sold on it this way either but it looks better I think

Its_A_Random If it's pronounced Navygat it should be spelled as such (This applies to other people with -gate at the end of their names!). Maybe even a corruption of that spelling to make it look nicer?

Harle hah.. I like both Ballastian and Rumbuckler... maybe referencing Rum is inappropriate though... the other's probably safer.

Aurist Gulowar is by far the best spelling and one of my favourite names in the thread :)

MrGiggleBiscuits Armiral sounds good!

@BaseSpeed if it's pronounced "led" it should be spelled as such. try reworking the spelling

DougJustDoug Korsair is pretty cool :)

Okay, why did my first WIP disappear? Here we go again, my ideas:

WIP

Frigatross: frigate + albatross (FRIG-a-tross)

Nauticaw: nautical + caw (NAW-ti-caw)

Anchrow: anchor + crow (ANK-row)

WIP 2:
Aviat
Avian + Frigate
a-vee-at

I kind of like this idea more, my only problem is it looks weird and sounds better said than read. Wondering if I should change this to Avigat (a-vee-gat) or something similar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)