1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

CAP 17 CAP 6 - Part 12 - Flavor Ability Discussion

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by jas61292, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

So, we've completed all of the competitive aspects of CAP 6 and have begun to playtest Cawmodore (for more details, check out this thread). Even so, we still have some more to do, starting with picking out a flavor ability. This ability should have little significance competitively, and should be all about what makes sense on the Pokemon.

The following abilities are banned from this discussion:

Air Lock
    Bad Dreams
    Color Change
    Defeatist
    Forecast
    Illusion
    Imposter
    Moody
    Multitype
    Sand Veil
    Shadow Tag
    Slow Start
    Snow Cloak
    Teravolt
    Truant
    Turboblaze
    Victory Star
    Wonder Guard
    Zen Mode

Arena Trap
    Drizzle
    Drought
    Huge Power
    Magic Bounce
    Magic Guard
    Prankster
    Pure Power
    Sand Stream
    Serene Grace
    Snow Warning
    Speed Boost​

In addition, it should be noted that Unreleased Dream World abilities are banned from this discussion. While its very possible that a powerful ability could fit perfectly on Cawmodore from a flavor perspective, that opens up a dangerous can of worms which we would prefer to simply avoid.

If you are curious as to why these abilities are banned, check out this thread to learn more. Remember, the ability we choose here is an Ineffective Ability, meaning that it should be inferior to both Intimidate and Volt Absorb (Cawmodore's competitive abilities).

We probably don't need a ton of time for this discussion, so you can expect this thread to stay open for around three to four days.

CAP 6 so far:

Name: Cawmodore
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Typing: Steel / Flying
    Abilities: Intimidate / Volt Absorb / ???
    Stats: 50 HP / 92 Atk / 130 Def / 65 SpA / 75 SpD / 118 Spe
    Movepool:
  2. Nyktos

Nyktos Custom Loser Title
    is a Pre-Contributor

I think our flavour ability should be Big Pecks. Cawmodore is a bird, like all Pokémon with the ability, and its big "chest" is its most prominent feature. (I know the Japanese name is Pigeon Breast but half the things that get it aren't pigeons anyway.)
    ebeast, Weebos, dwarfstar and 4 others like this.
  3. Shiruba

Shiruba

Personally, I think that Battle Armor would fit this guy beautifully. Not only is he a steel-type with a super-shiny jacket being one of his most prominent features, but he's a surly sailor, made rough and tough by the sea - you cannot and will not catch him unawares, as he's far too experienced for that.

Plus, the ability has minimal use, and would likely never find any worthwhile usage.
  4. DetroitLolcat

DetroitLolcat Maize And Blue Badge Set :)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Big Pecks is the most reasonable flavor ability for the reasons Nyktos mentioned. The chest is the most prominent feature, it's rather large by bird Pokemon standards, and it's clearly a flavor ability.

Defeatist is also an ability that has to be mentioned, as we chose Belly Drum as our concept. What better way to reward successfully lowering your health by 50% than an Attack drop?
    Birkal likes this.
  5. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

Big Pecks! Cawmodore's chest is its most recognizable attribute and its 'useless' ability should play off of that.
  6. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

The only other Abilities worth even mentioning are Keen Eye or Early Bird. But I am right there with Big Pecks too. All three fit great to the whole aesthetic of Cawmodore.
  7. colourcodedchaos

colourcodedchaos

While I'm tempted to suggest Anger Point as a flavour ability, since a gruff sea captain really is going to go into a berserk rage at the drop of a hat, I'll go with the crowd and plump for Big Pecks.
  8. Birkal

Birkal Caw.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

Just popping in as your local moderator to remind you that this thread is discussion-based. If you're going to post agreement for an ability here, at least provide a little blurb to back it up. We'll do voting later, so don't post your one-liners here.
  9. Hollymon

Hollymon

Big Pecks works fantastic - we already have two great abilities and in this rare occasion, this rubbish ability is the best to suit our needs! Also it is a pun in two different ways which is great aswell
  10. P2X7

P2X7

Anger Point because this.

But seriously, I think that Big Pecks is one of the best choices, simply because of how well it fits with the general design of Cawmodore. Heck, it practically feels like it was made for it, considering that Cawmodore's chest is its most prominent feature and that it has nautical themes in its design and that its a bird Pokémon.
  11. Srn9130

Srn9130 Life's never so bad that it can't get worse
    is a Pre-Contributor

I think Defiant could be worth thinking of. It seems to go with the whole sailor's pride theme, and cawmodore doesn't really look like the humble type.
    His puffed out chest and wing positions (it's like he's flexing his biceps) radiate manly pride in my opinion, and what better ability to highlight manly pride than Defiant?Also, unlike Big Pecks (though I can see where it comes from(duh)), Defiant slightly more competitive use
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  12. Geodude6

Geodude6

Vital Spirit seems like an interesting ability to put. It has little use competitively and kinda fits with the theme. Also seconding Shiruba's suggestion of Battle Armor.
  13. Integer Mova

Integer Mova

Since I only replied with a one-liner previously, I will explain my suggestion for Big Pecks: it has that big "chest" of the bird on which its design is based, which would be the frigatebird. Also, Cawmodore could work with an ineffective ability, since Intimidate and Volt Absorb have their respective uses in competitive play.
  14. Koorutheguru

Koorutheguru

I think Reckless, Defiant, Scrappy, and Unnerve all have a lot of potential. The first three evoke the belligerent, rambunctious nature of sailors, on which Cawmodore is based, while unnerve riffs along the same lines as intimidate.

That being said, Big Pecks is fantastic and fits the concept well.
  15. Epikhairz

Epikhairz This isn't even my final form!
    is a Pre-Contributor

Yeah Big Pecks for reasons previously stated

Moxie is also worth considering cuz cawmodore just has dat swag for it plus its not dead weight competitively so thats a plus but it still fits the flavor but it might be too good
  16. The Steam Punk

The Steam Punk

I'd like to suggest Steadfast. It fits the idea of Cawmodore being a fearless sea captain rather well, and it's not very competitive at all. On the slim chance that Cawmodore does flinch, it's a boon though.
  17. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

So, I just went through the full list of abilities and there are only a few that really stick out to me.

Inner Focus and Steadfast both would be cool choices. They are fairly generic, but fit well the the theme of being a captain, who cannot afford to be distracted by minor annoyances like flinching.

Keen Eye would work well too, as not only is it again something advantageous within that whole captain theme, but its also a very classic bird ability. Can't go wrong with this one.

Light Metal is kind of an odd one, but I think this could also work out well. I mean, Cawmodore is a steel bird, and being lighter could certainly be an advantage when it comes to flying. Not necessarily the greatest fit ever, but I could certainly see it fitting.

However, my number one choice has to be Big Pecks. Between the literal interpretation (large chest [and beak!]) and the more indirect references, it just fits a sailor bird so perfectly. I would be happy with any of the other abilities listed here, but I just absolutely love Big Pecks.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    Objection likes this.
  18. Sonic The Hedgedawg

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Big Pecks has been my number one choice for a third ability ever since we decided that our CAP would have three abilities. Cawmodore already has two ridiculously effective abilities which means that it most certainly doesn't need a third. But it also means that even an ability which isn't entirely useless like Big Pecks will be comparatively non-competitive because there would be virtually no reason to use it over one of the existing abilities that Cawmodore already has.

And, stylistically, it's perfect
  19. Scoopapa

Scoopapa
    is a Pre-Contributor

Well the only choices are pretty much Sand Veil, Snow Cloak, and Moody. Oh you said non-competitive... never mind.

After finding out that the Japanese is Pigeon Breast I have to support Big Pecks because its an awesome pun.
  20. Birkal

Birkal Caw.
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

Yo this is your 24-hour warning. If you have any further points to bring up this thread that have not already been stated, let's hear them before then. If not, be patient and wait for the voting phase. Have at it.
  21. P2X7

P2X7

While I still support Big Pecks, I would like to bring up Overcoat as a possibility, as Cawmodore, being a Steel-type, would probably have hard enough feathers to shake off the effects of harsh weather, and that a veteran sailor like it probably wouldn't care about the weather conditions around it that much. While it is a somewhat competitive ability, it probably wouldn't see that much use simply because of how good Cawmodore's other abilities are, and that it's only really useful if you're a fan of Hail teams, so it's not that much of an issue. Also, if you're a fan of puns, Cawmodore literally has a jacket as part of its design, so there's that.

I would also like to say that I'm a fan of Light Metal as well, for reasons that jas61292 stated above, but also because if a real bird has lightweight/hollow bones to help it become lighter, than a steel bird could easily incorporate lighter metals/alloys to achieve the same goal.
  22. leafflare8097

leafflare8097

Pickpocket as Cawmodore looks like a pirate and they steal and loot. And the fact that the ability is not that good.
  23. Birkal

Birkal Caw.
    CAP Head Mod

Wow, such slate.

Code:
    Big Pecks
    Battle Armor
    Anger Point
    Defiant
    Steadfast
    Keen Eye
    Light Metal
    Very flavor.

For those of you that are new to the process, the slate was chosen based off of what was considered to be a "community consensus" of abilities. That's fancy talk for abilities that had two or more posts of support, with logic to back it up. We try to cast our nets broad, but not to the point of we take literally every ability that was suggested. Poll up shortly!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)