CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 2 - Main Type Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is our concept:
Concept said:
Name: Decentralizer
Description: A Pokemon can check a majority of the current top 5 Pokemon.
For the record, the current top 10 on the CAP server are:
  1. Stratagem
  2. Revenankh
  3. Fidgit
  4. Tyranitar
  5. Zapdos
  6. Syclant
  7. Blissey
  8. Heatran
  9. Scizor
  10. Pyroak
I'm conducting this poll a little differently than my predecessors. This is the DISCUSSION thread. Please refrain from making votes in this topic (because they will not count). You can make those posts in the voting thread.

Discuss the main type of CAP6.

just right off the bat, ground type seems like a useful one to resist strategem/ttars/zapdos' stabs, twave immune and ability to hurt tran/fidgit.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Strata is partly (I think largely) there due to the novelty factor of a new CaP.
Therefore we do not need to be quite as concerned with checking it as the others IMO.

And yea, Ground does look quite promising as a STAB. SE on 3/5 of the top 5.

isn't that kind of... not the way we want this to work? if youre going to try and build momentum for an idea, at least ahve the respect to post your reasoning in the discussion topic. if you guys want to poll jump from the start i think it's fair that we see some reasoning here.

dragon electric is a great defensive type but how does it apply to the chosen concept? try to show some respect for the process instead of going "everyone who already knows what they want do this, no reasoning required"

isnt this the kind of stuff we wanted to prevent?

I actually think the Strata usage will stay until we make something to check it. It's not just at #1 because of novelty.

Either Ground or Electric seem cool, as they both have potential to check a lot of threats with the right secondary typing/ability.

Personally I don't want to do repeats. So if you want a Dragon/Electric, vote Electric first.
That is really Not the way I was hoping to go about choosing a typing :-/

How does Dragon/Electric help check a majority of the top 5? It only seems useful against Zapdos.

I don't see the point in voting for a type or a type combo just for the sake of popularity and originality.

Fidgit is an unoriginal typing and it is widely viewed as our biggest success. Pyroak has possibly the most original typing and it is the least used CAP. So there's no evidence that original typings are neccessary in CAP.

I would say that Electric is a very bad main type since Strata, TTar, Fidgit, Heatran and Syclant all commonly run Ground moves.

So you want us to choose a main type that is weak to common movesets for half of the top 10?

I'm not buying it.

given the current list, electric doesn't have any useful resists except for zapdos, who is already checked by tar/strat

it also doesnt hit a single pokemon on the list super effective =\

having the poll and discussion open at the same time seems pretty problematic =\

just right off the bat, ground type seems like a useful one to resist strategem/ttars/zapdos' stabs, twave immune and ability to hurt tran/fidgit.
ill have to agree here, probably with fighting as a secondary for the highest STAB potential against the highest number of top 10

edit @elevator-the first time i read your post i thought you said ground AND electric which to me was quite amusing

This is for the MAIN TYPE. limit your reasoning to electric or dragon or any other type, but not any combination.

I think we need to figure out what 3 we want checked out of the top 5 and base typing decisions on that. Im going to abstain till Im sure we know which pokemon we want to check and then the typing should be clearer.

Ok. Electric Dragon resists Scizor's Bullet Punch, anything Zapdos throws at it, Heatran's Fire Blast, takes neutral from both of Rev's STAB, and resists Flying (Which is quite common). It can reliably also check bulky waters, Rotom forms, and hell even things like Skarmory. It can't get the 3/5 with typing alone, but movepool and stats will help that.
i thought this was supposed to check some of the top pokes, so why bring up water types, rotom and skarm?

it also doesnt hit a single pokemon on the list super effective =\
Nuff said. Tennis, you're not advocating a typing that makes sense.

Ok. Electric Dragon resists Scizor's Bullet Punch, anything Zapdos throws at it, Heatran's Fire Blast, takes neutral from both of Rev's STAB, and resists Flying
Zapdos cant do much, unless it runs HP Ice. It can't threaten Zap directly on the basis of typing. It falls to Heatran's Earth Power which is just as common as Fire Blast. It doesn't resist Scizor's X-Scissor or Brick Break. Rev sometimes runs Ice Punch which will be very common if CAP6 is Dragon.

It can reliably also check bulky waters, Rotom forms, and hell even things like Skarmory.
Who gives a crap?! Those things are irrelevant to the Concept.

Edit: Ahh ferron, ya beat me.

If you want people to vote Electric, don't explain why its a good typing, explain why it's the Best typing to fit the concept.

So far, I'm liking Water. Not just because we haven't done a water type yet, but because it resists Steel (Bullet Punch), Fire (Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Heatwave), and Ice (Ice Beam, Blizzard), and takes neutral from a majority of everything else. It is weak to Electric (Thunderbolt) and Grass (Grass Knot), but those are both able to be taken care of.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Change of heart. Water seems like the best typing at the moment, taking out Stratagem, Tyranitar, Fidgit, and Heatran, while neutral on Pyroak, Revenankh and Scizor. It also has a priority move, so speed isn't an issue, and is a very good defensive typing when paired with something else.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I think Water will work best for this. Ground would work but I think that Stratagem's Levitate usage would go up from a ground type being made. It also hits the top 10 fairly well.

Water will work best for thiz, are you kidding me? The Electric/Grass weakness is eazily prevented by another type.

It will prevent the biggest threatz

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think Water sounds like it could be a fairly cool type.

Water deals fairly well as a type against the top ten. Nothing in the top ten resists Water, with Heatran, Fidgit, Tar, and Strata being weak to it. It resists Scizor's Bullet Punch, and Heatran doesn't have many real good options other than Hidden Power. Syclant's most powerful Blizzard is also resisted (though Bug Buzz would require another type added on).

Big issues might come down to Zapdos, Giga Drain Stratagem, Pyroak, which can all hit Water for heavy damage. But, presumably, we could bring in a cool secondary typing to help nullify some of this, or work the stats around so that it can deal with them better.

Of course, gorm does make a convincing argument for Ground.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Nothing ever said we had to deal with EVERY one of the top 10, thats why you have a team of 6 Pokemon.

I'm thinking ground would be pretty cool. Your ground type resists the rock typed Paleo Wave and Stone Edge and is immune to T-Bolt and T-Wave. It can also threaten non levitating Stratagem, Fidgit, T-Tar, and Heatran! (provided it gets a ground move for its STAB, pretty logical to assume, not poll-jumping I hope).

I'd say give Ground a thought, it's pretty cool. Stratagem is using Technician about 53/47, so I'll say go for ground, we could work around Levitate Stratagem.

water does seem like a good typing in recards to their weaknesses, but i like ground for both its offensive and defensive abilities against the top 10.

@tsukikage-you forgot it also resists heatran's earthpower and zapados' heatwave.

edit-didn't gothic have a post with the weaknesses of the tp 10? why was that removed? we couldve used that not only now but later on for the movesets (just too lazy to make a list myself).

edit 2-thanks darkie

He deleted his post. I'll repost it because it is valuable information:

Water weak: Stratagem, Tyranitar, Fidgit, and Heatran
Ground weak: Non-Levitating Stratagem, T-Tar, Fidgit, and Heatran
Fighting weak: Stratagem, T-tar, Heatran, Blissey
Steel weak: Stratagem, T-tar, and Syclant
Fire weak: Scizor and Syclant
Rock Weak: Syclant, Pyroak, and Zapdos
Ice weak: Zapdos and Figdit
Flying weak: Syclant , Revvy, and Pyroak
Psychic weak: Fidgit and Revvy

I'm gonna go for fighting, because of how it fairs against top threats.
  1. Stratagem-KOs with Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave
  2. Revenankh-Not much
  3. Fidgit-Not much
  4. Tyranitar-Destroys it with anything
  5. Zapdos-Weak point
  6. Syclant-Normally effective
  7. Blissey-Likely 2HKO
  8. Heatran-2hko
  9. Scizor-Neutral Damage
  10. Pyroak-Neutral Damage
Only 3/10ths resist Fighting and 4/10ths are weak to it, including the #1 pokemon in standard-Heatran. Fighting also resists Paleo Wave/SR.

Electric and water aren't bad, but fighting is a great choice to think about too.

OK the reason for water is because i think with all the TTars leads running all over the place this is gonna be a good counter since TTars Destroys most Gems. Also it will help with the troubles of pesty Fidgits too.

Only 3/10ths resist Fighting and 4/10ths are weak to it, including the #1 pokemon in standard-Heatran. Fighting also resists Paleo Wave/SR.

Electric and water aren't bad, but fighting is a great choice to think about too.
and 1 is immune to it.

but i agree that its a good choice, though i would prefer it as a second type (either ground/fighting or water/fighting would be interesting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)