CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 4 - Style Bias Poll 1

What should be the style bias?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is our Pokémon:
Concept said:
Name: Decentralizer
Description: A Pokemon can check a majority of the current top 5 Pokemon.
Type: Water / Fight

For the record, the current top 10 on the CAP server are:
  1. Stratagem
  2. Revenankh
  3. Fidgit
  4. Tyranitar
  5. Zapdos
  6. Syclant
  7. Blissey
  8. Heatran
  9. Scizor
  10. Pyroak

This is where we determine the general style of the pokemon, from an offensive and defensive standpoint. We also will set limits on the stat spreads that support that style. It should be noted that the Style Bias is not just for limiting stats, but also helps shape the general "feel" of the pokemon. The Style may influence other parts of the pokemon -- such as art, movepool, ability, etc. However, the stat spread is the only part of the project that will be specifically constrained by the voted Style Bias.

Offensive/Defensive Balance is part of the Stats Rating Formula developed by X-Act for numerically measuring a pokemon's base stats.

Information about the formula is located here.
A utility for calculating the ODB is located here.

I went with slightly defensive, but I could go either way. I think something very similar to celebi/mew/etc. stat bias could work very well.

I think it needs to have some defense. The majority of the Top 5 and of the total top 10 are very offensive by nature so if it cant come in and take a hit it wont be able to reliably come in on its checks and threaten them.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
While I kinda leaned towards Somewhat Offensive, for it to be able to help take on some of the bulkier of the top ten, I felt that the ability to be able to better come in on the more offensive of the top ten was more valuable. And, as long as it still has reasonable offenses, it could still probably do a fair bit of damage to the bulkier ones - which is why I voted only Somewhat Deffensive.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
With most of the Top 5 being offensive (TTar, Strata, Zap, and possibly Rev), this things gotta have some bulk or else it would be very very hard to switch in, so I'm going with Somewhat Defensive.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Going with somewhat offensive. I looked at some existing Pokemon in that range and I liked what I saw.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I see things in the platinum metagame being very, very offensive. Although cap is obviously more defensive than standard ou in my opinion, I'm still going with Somewhat Defensive because being able to hit something is easier than trying to switch into something for two reasons. First, you can switch out after hitting something on a switch in. Secondly, you usually take no risk when attacking pokemon, however there are the exceptions of recoil moves and such.

This is why I believe making this thing more defensive is the better option. It's going to be easier to switch this thing in and not fear as much as you would when leaning towards offense, and it will still hit back relatively well. I'm not aiming to hit Gyara hard, but I'd want something that could hit as hard as Swampert, perhaps.

somewhat defensive works well for me. water plays the bulky side well, and hariyama has proven that fighting can do it as well. plus considering the fact that it may have to constantly switch in and out to deal with those it needs to check, then i want it to be able to take a hit or two.

Voted Somewhat defensive as the majority of threats are offensivly oriented and being able to take hits from them is beneficial, but some firepower is still needed.

Voting Somewhat Offensive. As long as it has decent defensive stats, it can switch in without too much fear, and it helps to beat things like Bulk Up Rev and Fidgit better. Being offensive in nature would also help to set this Pokemon apart from Poliwrath, who is definitely defensively oriented.

voting somewhat defensive. something that can switch in on so many threats needs to be able to do it several times in a game, and that could mean taking a lot of damage if a poke is not defensively oriented.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This Pokemon should be relatively balanced. Slightly offensive or slightly defensive are both cool for me; however, I'd try to keep the ODB as near to zero as possible in both cases. :)

Be careful; we don't want to end up with another Glalie.

If we say balanced, I would like to see something on the level of Mesprite, although admittedly that's for another poll.

i want somewhat offensive. we have decent resists here and i'd rather build a heatran ish poke than a swampert ish poke

Somewhat Defensive gets my vote, as it needs to have some bulk to it, otherwise it wouldn't check the top 10 much.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Going for somewhat defensive, but hopefully close to balanced not wall like.
Lets give it the ability to dish out some hits as well as take them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)