CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 5 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Fist is my idea, but I'd like to just throw it out there.
Iron Fist seems like a bad idea, no offense. It pretty much picks a chunk of the movepool for us, and everyone would start clamoring for a water move to go with it. If we give it Unaware or Marvel Scale we will have more options for new move (if we choose to make one)

My support is behind Marvel Scale and Unaware.

I'd also like to suggest Anger Point, as a supposed counter to the metagame leaders, CAP 6 is obviously going to be high in defense and should be able to survive critical hits and then dish back double.

Also the suggestions for Electric immune abilities continue to confuse me, it's a water type and from what i've seen of the art suggestions none of them support and electric conductor very well. There are other means of countering Zapdos, and other pokemon that can do the job with CAP 6, lets at least make the pokemon make scense.

I apologize for my lack of being able to think clearly tonight, i'll come up with clearer arguments after a couple waffles.

Well I kinda said it earlier but now I want to make a formal proposition.
I think that the best way to pull this off would be to make a ability
Ability Name: Adrenaline
Ability: Gains a +2 power up in Atk if switched into a pokemon with a Base Stat Exceeding 120 (or however you want to calculate it). I say Atk only because we don't know what stat will be better as of yet

What about a Special version of Guts? Blissey would have to think thrice before TWave or Toxic CAP6.

Or maybe an ability that drains a very little bit of the enemy's health when they use stat-up moves such as CM, SD, DD, etc.?

What about a Special version of Guts? Blissey would have to think thrice before TWave or Toxic CAP6.

Or maybe an ability that drains a very little bit of the enemy's health when they use stat-up moves such as CM, SD, DD, etc.?

wouldnt regular old physical guts be better against blissey?

Yeah, im pretty much on the unaware train, but here's some random abilites gone unmentioned:
Super Luck
Suction Cups
Drizzle
Sniper
Skill Link
Shadow Tag
Magic Guard
Gluttony
Damp
Anger Point
Adaptability

Yeah, im pretty much on the unaware train, but here's some random abilites gone unmentioned:
Super Luck - increased crit ratio isn't helpful compared to things like unaware
Suction Cups - probably won't be useful as their are few phazers in the game used often
Drizzle - like we need a 3rd weather. This would be broken imho
Sniper - again, crits arent important
Skill Link - multihit moves aren't too common but this COULD serve as a secondary option. This honestly doesn't look bad
Shadow Tag - Uncounterable much? imo this too would be broken
Magic Guard - Probably a bit too much here.
Gluttony - Berries overall aren't useful imho, with the acception of SubSalac/Liechi or something, which shouldn't be a central thing for this pokemon
Damp - This prevents what, Explosion iirc? How often do you see that?
Anger Point - Not reliable or useful enough
Adaptability - Eh this would make it a bit too strong imho
Listing random abilities isn't really the way to go imho. If you are going to list them at least explain their possible use.

What about something along the lines of Breloom's poison heal? This is kinda silly but for example something called "steam powered" might raise speed when burned, or maybe just when hit by a fire move including will-o-wisp.

Has anybody thought of something along the lines of a Psych Up ability? It'll be kind of like Unaware. Copies the foes stat changes upon switching in. If it's fast, it'll outrun anything with speed boosts, and can Haze it or something.

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, I'm going to suggest that we could even combine it with Roar. Let Revvy Bulk Up a few times, switch this thing in to copy those Bulk Ups, Roar it out, and then maybe Baton Pass to Gyarados or something.

Compound Eyes needs more love here. Being able to not worry about Cross Chop or Hydro Pump missing it's intended target could turn the tide in battle towards your side. Technically the BP of a move is more important when it comes to determining damage than the actual stat, so to be able to dish out respectable big damage would be good for our decentralizer. With this ability it can make a decent wall breaker with a moveset like Cross Chop/Hydro Pump/Blizzard/Thunder.

Unaware make up for your defensive ability while Compound Eyes make up for your offensive ability. A balance between offensive and defensive should be made within CAP6.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My two abilities I would like this Pokemon to have are Unaware, possibly under a name such as Neutralize or Enlightened. I also support Compoundeyes as the second ability, under the name Battle Focus. Trace has also proven itself quite a useful defensive ability.

I can see Compoundeyes/Unaware as a good set of abilities, or Marvel Scale/Guts. Kind of a defensive/offensive option.

Seeing how half of the art submissions have some kind of shell integrated into it's design (including mine) I recommend shell armor as an ability alongside unaware or whatever gets used just for the sake of having a second "throw-away" ability (like illuminate/natural cure starmie)

I think that Unaware is such a good ability that it is pointless to give it another. If it does end up getting another ability, then most likely it will never be chosen because of the overwhelming benefits that Unaware brings.

This is why Pure Power/Huge Power are bad ideas. These abilities will force us to give it a low ATK. No one would use its secondary ability except for Special based sets.

I like Unaware for this. I think for a secondary ability it should be something like Water Veil. It gives it immunity to burns should someone use that ability; however, should the user choose Unaware the opponent wouldn't really know until they try to burn "watermon." At that point watermon could take the opponent out.

I don't support Compoundeyes because it's largely similar to Machamp's No Guard except without the drawback of your opponent being able to hit you with ease as well. Obviously, Compoundeyes isn't being supported because we want to give it Dynamic Punch so it seems largely like a contrived way of compensating for what may be an average offensive stat distribution.

This Pokemon will already succeed as a Decentralizer by virtue of its resists and super-effective STABs, we don't need it to be a wallbreaker as well.

Unaware seems like a good choice, since quite a few of the top pokes like to stat up.
The Psych Up-like ability that Umbreon Dan mentioned (copies opponent's stat boosts and drops on switch-in) could also be cool for the same reason as Unaware. Maybe it should be called 'Fair Play' or 'Sportsmanship' or something along those lines.
However, I think that watermon should have only 1 ability. It doesn't really need 2.

i think the ability will depend on the art.if it is slightly defensive, a slight
offensive ability, such as iron fist will be good, i think limber is also a good alternative to stop blissey taking advantage of its rather 'not all that' offensive and paralyzing it without taking too much damage.

No Guard
Unaware
Trace
Special Intimidate

They each have their own merits. No Guard is great for checking counters and hitting hard, while the others help it with its defenses mostly.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pure Power and Unaware together (with a low attack and Spa score) could be interesting IMO.
That way you get the choice of a decent powered attack or the ability to counter almost all of the most threatening setup sweepers.

However I can see a Unaware with half decent stats not breaking the game but changing it to a degree that many people would find it very hard to adjust. Seriously a DD Tar/Mence or SD Luke/Scizor is expected to sweep with a turn or two's setup in normal, and fair enough. This could counter all fo those and many more, even with relitively modest defencive stats. No matter how many free turns you are careless enough to give them.

Giving it poor attacks (Like almost unusable) and Pure Power as a secondary option would create an interesting choice for the user.

What about something along the lines of Breloom's poison heal? This is kinda silly but for example something called "steam powered" might raise speed when burned, or maybe just when hit by a fire move including will-o-wisp.
I like this abillty or anything else that would give it alot more switchins, like things that gives immunities. Watermons types has good resisdence, but doesn't give it any immunity. Immunities would probobly be nessecery for this pokemon to be able to switch in alot. You can't deny that immunities is an uninportant thing when 9/10 of the top could have an immunity (counting Strats Levitate and Syclants Mountaineer because of the switch in oppertunity. But still 7/10 got immunities only by type). Immunities makes you able to come in without any dammage and is really important for making good team-synergy.

An ablility similar to dry skin would probobly be great. Because it gives it an immunity but balances up with an extra weakness. I could se this pokemon get an ablility that makes it immune to Dark attacks (thinking mostly of those fishes living deep down under the water without any sunlight at all) and gives it a Poison weakness, it could be called "Pristine Darkness". The poison weakness would probobly not be so big, because of the rarity of Poison attacks (mostly due to all steel types in OU). Of the top 50 of the most used pkmn on the CAP server during november only three pokemon is of poison type: Fidgit, Gengar and Tentacruel, and I haven't seen any of them use Sludge bomb alot. I could see it get two immunities and become 4x weak to Poison as it would make it more counterable (probobly with alot more not OU pokes) and a good decentralizer of the current metagame.

If this pokemon should "decentralize" the metagame, it needs to counter (or "check" or what you else call it) the top10 so good that you'll need something else to get around it. But it still needs to be weak to alot of other pokes (not of the top 10), just so it doesn't just becomes 1 of the new top10. That is the goal of CAP6 as I see it.

I'd support Shell Armor if we're going to go with a Shelled Art concept, as it removes the possibility to be Crit, which if it was, could ruin its ability to counter the specific poke.

Has anybody thought of something along the lines of a Psych Up ability? It'll be kind of like Unaware. Copies the foes stat changes upon switching in. If it's fast, it'll outrun anything with speed boosts, and can Haze it or something.

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, I'm going to suggest that we could even combine it with Roar. Let Revvy Bulk Up a few times, switch this thing in to copy those Bulk Ups, Roar it out, and then maybe Baton Pass to Gyarados or something.
I second this. This would compliment Unaware on CAP 6 as well. Either negate stat boosts, or absorb them yourself.

Generally, abilities that do what would normally have taken a move to do are good; we don't have an ability like this yet, but I can easily see Nintendo doing this next gen even if we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)