CAP 17 CAP 6 - Part 6 - Stat Spread Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Error3130- I'd like to see a little more. One-sentence and one-calculation explanations for each stat are not going to cut it, especially since we're looking for multiple set-up targets and multiple Pokemon to KO after setting up. I can't understand what your spread wants to do with so little to go on. You should start by explaining what exactly you want to set up on (check the Threats Discussion if you want a good guideline for that) and provide calculations for each of those threats. Then, do the same for Pokemon you wish to OHKO/2HKO, etc. Taking a Mach Punch from Jolly Breloom is cool, but what else does your spread do? There are 49 other Pokemon in OU, and CAP6 is going to interact with the rest of them in some way or another. Although you obviously aren't expected to provide calculations for every Pokemon in the tier, you need to put a little more work into your calculations and justification so I can get a better picture of what you want to accomplish. Don't focus as much on the SpA as you do on the other stats; while the ability to use certain Hidden Powers may be a selling point of your spread, the concept is Belly Drum and you should edit your post to include more of what CAP6 can do before and after Belly Drumming. Good start on your spread, but it needs more to be considered a finished product.
Thanks for the feedback I have been working on some calcs and if I have some time later today, I will be posting these.

Seed- Good job on the calculations. Although there aren't a ton of calculations there, you do a good job of putting this Pokemon in perspective. Although I was skeptical of 80 Attack, you've shown me that Fighting coverage easily mitigates that against Steels and that Acrobatics isn't even necessary for this Pokemon to succeed. I'm a little worried that so many of your offensive calculations show that CAP6 just barely misses out on a lot of OHKOs and 2HKOs, but that's obviously by design, not by accident. Your defensive calcs also paint a nice picture of what we can expect from this Pokemon, too. One item I would like to see you touch on a little more is the Speed stat and an Adamant nature for this CAP. Although you show a lot of what we can do with a Jolly nature (and you've pleasantly surprised me as to what 80 Attack and a Jolly nature can do!), some people will undoubtedly use an Adamant nature with this Pokemon and I would like to know what we can expect from that. Other than that, your spread looks very promising.
~I updated my OP with Adamant calcs under the Hide tag~

I'm glad you noted that I chose a middling Attack stat by design, since I personally feel that an Attack stat above 90 is purely unecessary. Taking a look at my calcs I do realize many OHKOs and 2HKOs are just barely out of reach. I considered that CAP 6's focus is likely (but not always) going to be as a mid-late game cleaner. Like any other sweeper his checks will be weakened and his counters defeated before he setups for a sweep. Since the opponents team should be weakened before a sweep, 80 base attack seems like plenty at +6. The other reason I'm fond of a comparatively (to other spreads) low Attack stat is that it encourages the use of Belly Drum over an all-out-attacking set or choice band set. But since CAP 6 (as pointed out by other users) will receive low base power Attacks this is less of a concern than my first point. Something like 100 base Attack just seems that a Banded set will end up outshining Belly Drum.

As for Speed I like out speeding (for example) Starmie and Keldeo just due to their commonness along with how easily they can halt a sweep. 120 Speed also beats slow Scarfers like Magnezone which I'd prefer to beat. I don't mind being out sped by Jolteon and very fast Scarfers since they're less common. I was actually considering increasing it to 121 or 122 (like Deck Knight) because out speeding Alakazam sounds like a decent idea.

I like the idea of very high Speed for the end-game sweep to make the most of Belly Drum.

Last edited:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
WIP
68 HP / 98 Atk / 122 Def / 40 SpA / 90 SpD / 87 Spe
PT 167.999 [Very Good]
ST 124.554 [Above Average]
PS 146.059 [Good]
SS 71.0547 [Poor]
BSR 271.414 [Good]

• CAP6 does have minimal Fighting coverage (Brick Break);
  • CAP6 does not have Brave Bird;
  • CAP6 does not have Acrobatics;
  • CAP6 will run a spread of 0/252/0/0-/4/252+.
Ground-types: Landorus Therian, Hippowdon, Garchomp, Donphan
Defensive Water-types: Politoed, Tentacruel, Vaporeon
Scizor
Ferrothorn
Blissey
Celebi
capefeather said:
CAP 6 must take specific
measures in its set to beat these:
+6 252+ Atk Skarmory Return vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 113-134 (34.55 - 40.97%) -- 65.09% chance to 3HKO
[note: Skarmory can be overcome with Brave Bird; +6 252+ Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 201-237 (61.46 - 72.47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO]
Heatran
Jirachi
+6 252+ Atk CAP6 Return vs. 248 HP / 232 Def Rotom-W: 307-362 (101.32 - 119.47%) -- guaranteed OHKO (only if you run Return)
Choice Scarf revenge killers: Latios, Latias, Gengar, Starmie
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def CAP6: 109-129 (39.35 - 46.57%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (KOs CAP6 if CAP6 is not running Sitrus Berry/Leftovers and if SR is up)
Mamoswine
Chlorophyll / Swift Swim boosted revenge killers

Last edited:

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
You make the assumption that getting outsped by Starmie is a bad thing, while i really don't think it is. Not only is Starmie frail and easy to wear down to the point that it can be OHKOed by even +6 Bullet Punch, it is also easy to trap and KO with every single Pursuit user viable in OU, namely Tyranitar (Scarf and Band), Scizor (Scarf), and Weaviel, assuming those Pokemon get in after Starmie KOes something. By allowing Starmie to outspeed the CAP you give to any team easy options to check the CAP which however can be dealt with adequate support, making a strategical sweeper that needs a gameplan in order to sweep, and not just your average top-tier sweeper.
I was not implying anything, I just wanted to clarify that if we don't want to do weird (or at least unattractive to me) choices in the movepool stage, we must either outspeed or delegate to team support the handling of Starmie. Your arguments make sense, albeit I won't really define a BD user "your average top-tier sweeper"; I still prefer 116+ Spe, but I guess it's more a matter of personal taste than a solid argument or something. Thanks anyway for the clarification.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As far as the Garchomp thing: Intimidate w/ Steel/Flying type pretty much put the kibosh on anything but ChainChomp threatening CAP6 (or switching into CB Fire Fang), and in BW the Musketeers really re-ordered speed tiers around 108 Spe instead of 100. Adamant at 122 Base Speed is 343 Speed, which is slower than +Spe Musketeers (346), which is basically all of them as everything over 100 Spe tends to run +Spe. It's why I went for 122 instead of 125 (in addition to aesthetics) to avoid that problem as well. If you want to beat Muskies in a direct speed conflict, you need to run +Spe.

Adamant Calcs are basically whatever the Jolly Calcs are multiplied by 1.1, so while I can add them specifically I don't feel it's necessary, since it really only matters for KO's if it moves from 80 to 88 or 91 to 100%, which are KO's with SR or without SR respectively.

Last edited:

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello everyone, quick update on my submission: I have finalized it after adding a few words and a handful of calcs with Detroitlolcat's critique in mind. I am pleased to say it is only the length of a small novella, which is an accomplishment for me. This now frees up time for me to comment on others' submissions, which people should do!

Seed - Well you've got the lowest Atk stat submitted so far, which is by extension the one most reliant on Belly Drum, so I commend you for that (although it might be too low to consider Adamant Bullet Punch viable; maybe run some more calcs vs. musketeers / neutral Scarfers). That 120 Spe is interesting, yet I see no explanation of it in your post. You are speed-tying with Alakazam and Dugtrio, which brings a lot of variables into the picture, namely the 50/50 first-move on top of whether or not the opponent's Focus Sash is intact. 56% of Alakazam run Focus Sash, and 85% of Dugtrio, the latter of which at least can't hold its Sash through entry hazards. A common strategy for facing Dugtrio is outpredicting its Reversal (e.g. using Icicle Crash --> Ice Shard with Mamo to avoid taking a full power Reversal), but with a speed tie that idea gets left up to the coin flip instead of the player. With Alakazam, you might as well be underspeeding it unless its Sash is broken, as it wins either way. If neither of those Pokes are much of a concern to you (which would be a valid argument if you have a better reason for 120 Spe), I'd be interested in seeing that justification somewhere in your post.

srk1214 - I have two main issues with this submission, and those are the Adamant calcs and the Swords Dance calcs. As you admit in your post, I agree there is little reason to run Adamant with that spread when you are speed-tying Jolly Landorus-T at best and relying on 85 base Atk to sweep, so those calcs are probably uncharacteristic of the CAP's actual performance against the metagame. I'm not exactly sure if you're advocating giving the CAP Swords Dance, because imo there is no better way to push Belly Drum completely out of the realm of possibility than to give a Poke this move. With the bulk of your spread, it would be downright newbish to ever run Belly Drum if SD was also available. In any case, your spread leans as heavily on its physical defenses for its strength as possible, which I'm not totally sold on yet as a valid approach to encouraging the use of Belly Drum. I worry that you may have gone too far towards the "balanced" approach to encourage CAP's use as an offensive Pokemon, although I can be swayed with some more reasoning as you develop your post further.

Nyktos - I must say I like this spread, as it is pretty similar to mine and features much of the same thinking behind it. I guess once you work out justifications for the tankiness ratings, the post will be good to go. You also might want to consider doing Adamant calcs and justification, because you still speed-tie with Jolly Garchomp that way and can deal a good chunk of damage to most of the stuff that's faster with Bullet Punch. It's something a lot of people want to keep on the table, so I would suggest you take that into consideration.

Deck Knight - This is the fastest spread submitted so far, and your justification for outrunning Alakazam and Dugtrio (Gear Grind to break Sashes) is honestly very appealing. I also like that in exchange you've dipped your PT down below everyone else's, which maintains a clear offensive bent to your spread. If I was someone hoping for Bullet Punch, though, I wouldn't like this spread, if only because it begs for a Jolly nature almost as much as the 109/111 Spe spreads (and Bullet Punch is most likely strategically incompatible with Gear Grind on the same set). It might be an issue to address for potential voters, but like I've been saying, I personally don't find Bullet Punch to be that big of a priority (PTP), especially when you're up in the 121+ Speed range.

alexwolf - You have certainly put a lot of effort into your post and so the reasoning behind each of your individual sections is solid enough, if you consider them independently from one another. However, I don't like how close you are to the limits on both PS and PT at the same time. Along the same lines, I think the low SpA of your spread is fudging your BSR down within the <310 range when a "more realistic" one would otherwise disqualify it (you can bring up Darmanitan but that Poke isn't even close to the quality of a Steel / Flying @ Intimidate Poke with near-Slowbro-level defenses, 109 Spe, and not-terrible Atk). Riding one limit is fine if you have the justification for it, but with your spread being so close to the limits on the two most significant ratings for this CAP and BSR on top of it all, I can't help but wonder if the spread isn't trying to encompass all the power of the CAP all on its own (it's fast, powerful, and bulky). I think you may actually be aware of this deep down, too, as you spend a great deal of your post defensively responding to obviously-incoming criticisms. I would challenge you to find either a lower PS or PT that you are comfortable with, so that there are actual tradeoffs in your spread that don't rely on future stages in the process to balance out.

Okay I think the rest of the spreads are still in the formation stages, so I won't comment on them in this post. I really like the general direction that submitters are taking, and I think there are plenty of submissions here that could help guide us to a very satisfying final product.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah i definitely see what you mean Korski. If i see other people having the same problem with my spread i could lower my PT a bit, but i really want more feedback.

Maybe i will also post some critiques about some of the stat spreads later, in this post.

EDIT: Here we go:

@Deck Knight

Many of the conclusions you have made from your defensive calcs are wrong. For example:

-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 56.69 - 67.25% (Can set up Belly Drum w/ Sitrus and no Rocks.)
You didn't account for Extremespeed, which bypasses any priority we might carry except from ES of 'course. Lucario's ES does 12.36 - 14.84% after Intimidate. which means that Lucario will 2HKO the CAP 50% of the time.

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 48.94 - 57.74% (Can set up Belly Drum w/ Sitrus)
While it is true that the CAP can set up there, Scizor is just going to switch out next turn, sacrifice something, and then come in for the revenge kill. Which means you are going to get one kill at best, not exactly what we are aiming for.

-1 252+ Atk Gyarados Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 32.04 - 38.02% (Can set up w/ Belly Drum w/ no rocks w/o Sitrus)
Gyaradus will setup with Dragon Dance alongside the CAP and OHKO the turn after, while outspeeding the CAP.

-1 252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 22.18 - 26.4% (Can set up w/ Belly Drum w/ no rocks w/o Sitrus)
Not if it's the scarf set, which either 2HKOes with Outrage or makes you die to Rough Skin after tanking two Outrage hits.

I would suggest pumping up the PT a bit (around 10), 'cause with your spread the CAP gets 2HKOed by most priority hits after setting up on most of its setup targets (with Sitrus Berry), meaning that we are gonna have to get rid of priority users + Scarf users before sweeping, something which is easier said than done.

@Nyktos

Your spread is prolly my favorite, after mine, so well done! I would only suggest lowering your SpA to 61 or 56 to make your BST round, but this is a super minor suggestion that has only to do with optics anyway.

@BrianFantana

You might want to increase your Speed to 93, so you can always outspeed Jolly Mamoswine with an Adamant nature and KO it with Bullet Punch before it has a chance to hurt you back.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Added in the centerpiece calc of the level of physical bulk I think CAP 6 should have. I've been super busy, but I know I really need to put in some work on my calcs in general. Thanks for the critiques.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
All right everybody!

ARE YOU READY TO RUUUUUUUMBLE!!

WELL YOU BETTER GET READY BECAUSE THIS SUNDAY IS...

THE SUNDAY NIGHT SLATEDOWN!

And what is this Sunday night slatedown? Well, it's THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!

PLENTY OF ENTRIES! ONE SLATE! ONE SUNDAY NIGHT!

This Sunday night, release all of your inhibitions and come to the Doug J. Doug Institute of Pokemon Creation* on the Smogon University campus for the posting of CAP6's STAT SPREAD SLATE!!!

And don't miss out on the live worldwide reveal of this slate on #cap on IRC!
FEATURING:

Topic Leader capefeather
Stats TLT DetroitLolcat
And most importantly, everyone that posted a FINAL SUBMISSION!

AND KEEP YOUR EYES PEELED, BECAUSE YOU MIGHT GET A GLIMPSE OF THE CAP 6 Stat Spread Poll 1!!!

Don't miss this once-in-a-lifetime event, Sunday night at 10:00 PM EST!!!

*The CAP forum

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(This is a
72 Hour Warning. Remember to make your post a Final Submission if you want to be considered for slating.)

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I added the defensive calculations and more reasoning, and marked my spread for Final Submission.

I provided longer justifications and finalized my Spread. I hope you all like it. I will not be posting critiques as I am new to CAP. My thoughts won't be as thoughtful as those of SRK or DetroitLolCat.

Last edited:
I will not be finishing my submission. I've been busy with school so I haven't really even had time to get on my computer at all recently.
There are a lot of spreads that I like though so I'm happy about that.

Good luck to everyone!

I'm withdrawing my submission because I don't have enough time to develop it and I feel there are better spreads out there.

All the best to everybody on the slate!

I added Adamant BP calcs (and some others) and did my best to better break down Speed and Offense in my spread. Marked my spread Final Submission.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finished my reasoning and marked as final. If anyone has any questions, comments or something else they'd like to see me add before this closes, please let me know.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Regrettably I just did not have time to finish fleshing out explanations whatsoever. I'm tempted to not submit my spread as a result, but I think it's important to offer a spread that is sub 108 speed for voters' consideration. So I've marked my submission as Final. If either DLC or capefeather want to reject it due to incompleteness, I totally understand.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
I have marked my submission as final. I still might go in and add some more calcs, but with the deadline only a couple of hours away it seems more likely I won't get to it. I do like my spread a lot and hopefully its merits shine through even with the post less complete than it could be.

Aside from my own spread, my favourite is Korski's, which is quite similar to mine in most respects, though I prefer the higher physical bulk on mine. Deck Knight and alexwolf also have decent submissions. A lot of the others, in my opinion, have too little Attack and/or Speed. There are a whole bunch of useful KOs that are gained in the low 90s for Attack, and given the lack of a Speed-boosting ability I think we should at least be able to outspeed most unboosted Pokémon, which means that a Speed over 110 is in my opinion more or less necessary.

Last edited:
Final Submission

55 HP / 91 Atk / 130 Def / 50 SpA / 90 SpD / 114 Spe
(530 BST)

PT: 159.89 (Very Good)
ST: 111.06 (Above Average)
PS: 162.56 (Very Good)
SS: 93.77 (Below Average)
BSR: 282.89 (Good)

Note: My reasoning for having two stats not a multiple of 5 is simple; I think aesthetically, it looks much better, and can still be rounded up to include a BST which IS a multiple of 5, which I have done in this situation. 114 Spe has more reasoning to it than what you would think at first glance -- I'll explain more during the course of this post.

Set used for the calcs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def Jolly Nature

HP
Believe it or not, I am heavily in favour of a low HP stat for many good reasons. The loss of 50% of your HP can be devastating; one way to regain that HP without using a recovery option of your own (I advise against the use of Roost/Recover/etc, although I'll save my reasoning for another thread) is Wish, which has the potential to restore all your health once switching in to take damage. With Wish and Intimidate you can effectively negate that damage. A low HP stat would mean that Wishes fired off from a plethora of different Pokemon would restore over 50% health. A wish pass from Blissey and Chansey would restore all your health, while a wish pass from Jirachi would restore 55% of your health. A wish pass from Alomomola (although why are you using alomomola) will restore all HP. However.. there is another reason for a low HP stat. (Apologies for poll-jumping but the move is factored into the reason why I support a low HP stat). Drain Punch has been furiously discussed in #cap and has been taken into consideration for a few of the stat spreads already submitted. I see Drain Punch as a great move to have for our CAP, as it negates the HP lost via Belly Drum while also not ensuring OHKOs against Pokemon that aren't super effective to it; it truely is a risky move which can work very well for our CAP. It needn't be stated that a low HP stat would make the best use of Drain Punch WE COULD GIVE IT DRAINING KISS AS WELL. This HP stat also lets us invest our leftover 4 EVs (assuming 252 Atk / 252 Spe)

Atk
Ah. The Attack stat, perhaps the most important stat to decide upon for our Belly Drummin' CAP6. I would like to refer back to the integration of "Fast, Powerful, Bulky: Pick Two" for my justification of this Attack stat. With Intimidate, a solid typing and a good Defence stat, it is a given that our CAP will be naturally bulky, even with minimal investment. As you can see with my spread, the CAP is fast too. So an Atk stat which certainly doesn't scream "prominent physical attacker" is what should be going for. 91 Atk ensures us that CAP6 will have to rely on Belly Drum to surpass the physical titans of the OU metagame, giving no reason to use Choice Band or any other offensive physical set. As you can see from the calcs shown, I am in favour of Gear Grind~

+6 Bullet Punch
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 406-478 (62.26 - 73.31%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 382-451 (151.58 - 178.96%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 246-291 (93.89 - 111.06%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dugtrio: 352-415 (166.82 - 196.68%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Espeon: 307-363 (91.91 - 108.68%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 214-253 (59.77 - 70.67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 310-366 (118.32 - 139.69%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 223-264 (75.85 - 89.79%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0- Def Hydreigon: 249-294 (76.38 - 90.18%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Jolteon: 153-181 (56.45 - 66.78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kyurem-B: 408-482 (104.34 - 123.27%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latias: 223-264 (73.84 - 87.41%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 246-291 (81.72 - 96.67%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mamoswine: 492-578 (136.28 - 160.11%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 246-291 (74.32 - 87.91%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 446-528 (137.65 - 162.96%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 378-446 (110.52 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 Drill Peck
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 810-954 (124.23 - 146.31%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 818-966 (202.47 - 239.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 854-1008 (224.14 - 264.56%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 261-307 (67.96 - 79.94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 427-504 (131.79 - 155.55%) -- guaranteed OHKO (multiscale broken)
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 283-334 (80.39 - 94.88%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 232-274 (65.53 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 427-504 (119.27 - 140.78%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 244 HP / 40+ Def Gliscor: 297-351 (84.37 - 99.71%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+5 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 88 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 433-510 (122.66 - 144.47%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 447-526 (152.04 - 178.91%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 262-310 (62.38 - 73.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 354-417 (92.18 - 108.59%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Reuniclus: 477-562 (116.62 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 193-228 (64.54 - 76.25%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 492-580 (148.64 - 175.22%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 409-483 (119.24 - 140.81%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 248 HP / 244 Def Tentacruel: 424-501 (116.8 - 138.01%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drill Peck vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 402-474 (86.82 - 102.37%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+6 Drain Punch/Brick Break
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 354-418 (100.56 - 118.75%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 486-574 (150.46 - 177.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 108 Def Jirachi: 230-271 (56.93 - 67.07%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Drain Punch vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 242-285 (80.93 - 95.31%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 Gear Grind
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 956-1128 (379.36 - 447.61%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 1014-1194 (155.52 - 183.12%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 512-606 (126.73 - 150%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 534-630 (140.15 - 165.35%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Donphan: 324-384 (84.37 - 100%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 534-630 (164.81 - 194.44%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 534-630 (149.16 - 175.97%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 244 HP / 40+ Def Gliscor: 372-440 (105.68 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 560-660 (190.47 - 224.48%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 330-390 (78.57 - 92.85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 560-660 (171.77 - 202.45%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 192 HP / 64 Def Reuniclus: 596-704 (145.72 - 172.12%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252 Atk (custom) Gear Grind vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 614-726 (185.49 - 219.33%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Def
One thing I certainly wanted to avoid when choosing my Def stat is becoming a greater physical wall than Skarmory, our Steel/Flying counterpart. Even with Intimidate, Skarmory outclasses us as it has access to entry hazards, Roost and phazing which makes it much more desirable and once again forces our CAP to succeed via Belly Drum in the metagame. As with the Attack stat, the majority of justification for this stat will be explained via calculations.

-1 252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 60-71 (27.27 - 32.27%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 252+ Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 66-78 (30 - 35.45%) -- 23.41% chance to 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 97-115 (44.09 - 52.27%) -- 18.36% chance to 2HKO
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 87-103 (39.54 - 46.81%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Haxorus Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 70-83 (31.81 - 37.72%) -- 93.29% chance to 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 75-91 (34.09 - 41.36%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 52-62 (23.63 - 28.18%) -- possible 4HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 72-85 (32.72 - 38.63%) -- 99.61% chance to 3HKO
-1 0 Atk Gliscor Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 27-32 (12.27 - 14.54%) -- possible 7HKO
-1 0 Atk Hippowdon Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 31-37 (14.09 - 16.81%) -- possible 6HKO
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 58-70 (26.36 - 31.81%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def (custom): 48-57 (21.81 - 25.9%) -- possible 4HKO

SpA
This stat needs little explanation; our CAP is designed as a Physical Attacker and so a high Special Attack stat would be detrimental to the purpose of our CAP. I've avoided giving it an unreasonably low stat, (Malaconda was the exception) as most OU sweepers still have a non-god-awful offensive stat which it doesn't use. Alakazam, a notorious Special Attacker, has 50 Attack. Haxorus, a Pokemon which many people cowered in fear of when it was first released due to its overwhelmingly large Attack stat has a respectable Special Attack stat of 60. So, what stat is decided upon which stops Pokemon from using their weaker offensive stat, if only using one move. Forretress' Special Attack stat is 60, but still uses it for the very specific purpose of defeating Landorus and Gliscor 1v1. I believe that 50 SpA is low enough to stop any sane person from using it. No, not even Doom Desire or Stored Power can save this stat!

0- SpA (custom) Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Magikarp: 161-190 (88.46 - 104.39%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
0- SpA (custom) Stored Power (140 BP) vs. 28 HP / 0 SpD Toxicroak: 296-352 (94.26 - 112.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

SpD
To avoid creating a Pokemon which would become too bulky, a low-ish Special Defense stat (especially when looking at the HP stat) would be desirable. One of the main attributes we decided about our CAP is its impressive Physical Defense. A great Special Defense on top of that might veer on the edge of our CAP sniffing at Belly Drum and taking the admirable route of a fine wall. With our SpD stat, we will be able to take special hits from many defensive mons, but we will be unable to stay in against the majority of special attackers in the game. As with Atk and Def, much more justification will be provided with the use of calculations.

0 SpA Politoed Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom) in rain: 153-180 (69.54 - 81.81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Vaporeon Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 118-141 (53.63 - 64.09%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Tentacruel Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 93-109 (42.27 - 49.54%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 190-224 (86.36 - 101.81%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 168-199 (76.36 - 90.45%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 286-338 (130 - 153.63%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 249-294 (113.18 - 133.63%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 172-203 (78.18 - 92.27%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 276-326 (125.45 - 148.18%) -- guaranteed OHKO
56+ SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 234-276 (106.36 - 125.45%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 SpA Life Orb Infernape Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 79-95 (35.9 - 43.18%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Spe

With 114 Speed, we are outsped by Max Spe Timid Magnezone with Scarf (360) even if we use Max Spe Jolly (359), but we can outspeed any other Magnezone set. Personally, I'd rather we avoided outspeeding or speed-tying with Starmie, as that was mentioned as one of our counters (albeit scarfed). 114 Speed still allows us to outspeed the majority of the OU tier, excluding Starmie, Dugtrio, Alakazam and Jolteon, and Dugtrio and Alakazam both get knocked out to +6 Bullet Punch anyway. Jolteon can also be taken out with +6 Bullet Punch provided that it has been weakened (If it's on 62.36% HP, it is guaranteed to be Knocked Out by Bullet Punch). 114 Speed also allows you to outspeed non-scarf Keldeo and Terrakion, which you can OHKO instantly (You can OHKO Terrakion using Bullet Punch)

Conclusion
I believe that this spread sets itself from the rest in many ways. I see it as a refined version of what the community would like to see for our CAP; aside from Drain Punch and Gear Grind, the general presumption is that our CAP should have a decent amount of Physical bulk and a fairly poor Special bulk, excellent speed and a dwindling HP stat, all of which my spread includes. This spread doesn't have a singular knick or knack or paddywack which makes it unique; it's uniqueness is brought together at once by each and every attribute of the spread. I hope you like this spread as much as I do, thanks for taking the time to read it!

Last edited:

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
For eight long days you have waited for this moment. Three days ago, every last one of you grabbed a marker and circled this day, September 8, 2013, on your calendars in red ink. You called in sick, you canceled your plans, you even put fantasy football on hold so you could watch the...

SUNDAY NIGHT SLATEDOWN!!

My reasoning for the slate is as follows. There was very little variety in the spreads, so the subtleties of the spreads were what was taken into account. The concept we have and the way we have executed the concept so far (Belly Drum sweeper, Intimidate as the Ability, etc.) have "bottlenecked" our acceptable range of stat spreads. We want to set up on Physical attackers, so a high Physical Tankiness is nearly mandatory. We want to discourage a Choice Band set, so moderate Attack is nearly mandatory. These sentiments have been captured by the community, as only 22 points separate the highest Final Submission Attack stat from the lowest. Speed has progressed the same way; we've concerned ourselves only with opponents in the 100-130 range, and the submissions reflect that. The highest Speed stat suggested in a Final Submission is 122, the lowest is 105. Only 17 points separate the slowest any of us believe this Pokemon should be and the fastest we believe it should be.

Therefore, determining what should go on the slate was a difficult decision. It is not fair to remove options from the slate when nearly every submitter went so far out of their way to distinguish their set while staying within the very small window of spreads that fit the concept. Furthermore, the walls of calculations that you all have posted show both how dedicated you all were to distinguishing your spreads and pointing out the subtle nuances of what this Pokemon should and should not do. For that reason, I was very inclusive on this slate. Although I planned for a slate of six or seven, I've bumped that number up to 9. You all, in the forthcoming polls, can decide exactly what you want this Pokemon to do and what you want it not to do. Although I can't be 100% certain that each spread truly brings something new to the table, these nine spreads have all done such an excellent job in argument, especially with their calculations, that they deserve to go before the voters.

Our #sundaynightslatedown is over. It's been fun being your stats TLT, but now it's time for some polls and a Baton Pass back to Pwnemon.

CAP 6's Sunday Night Slate: (pending TL approval)

alexwolf
srk1214
Deck Knight
Korski
Seed
Legend13
Nyktos
Eagle4
jas61292

Why did you have to make this so hard for me? :(

With the sheer size of the slate, it was practically inevitable that I'd have to use a -1. But on whom? I focused on the extremes, and determined whether they were reasonably justified. With this in mind, srk1214's submission lacks any justification for its unusually low Speed stat, whereas other submissions really stressed the importance of outrunning Terrakion and Keldeo. This submission also has the highest PT, but I find the reasoning behind it kind of flawed. I'm not sure how relevant it is that it survives two -1 Bullet Punches from Scizor, when it could get one Bullet Punch in and still revenge kill later with +0 Bullet Punch. It just seems like a really specific situation to account for.

So basically I'm taking out srk1214's submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)