1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 6 CAP 6 - Part 7 - Stat Rating Poll 1

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by darkie, Dec 8, 2008.

?

What should the Stat Rating be?

1. Excellent (420-579)

29.0%
  2. Very Good (300 to 419)

61.9%
  3. Quite Good (250 to 299)

8.4%
  4. Good (210 to 249)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Average (175 to 209)

0.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkie

darkie i didn't choose the mug lyfe
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

This is our Pokémon:
    Type: Water / Fight
    With a -20 to 0 Style Bias (Slightly defensive) and a 0 to 20 Build Bias (slightly physical).

For the record, the current top 10 on the CAP server are:
    1. Stratagem
    2. Revenankh
    3. Fidgit
    4. Tyranitar
    5. Zapdos
    6. Syclant
    7. Blissey
    8. Heatran
    9. Scizor
    10. Pyroak

This poll determines the desired overall "power level" of the pokemon's base stats. In the past, the Base Stat Total (BST) was used to measure the power of base statistics. Since BST is a very poor measurement for stat power, the CAP project now uses Base Stats Rating (BSR) to determine the overall effectiveness of a pokemon's base stats. Polling is simpler, and the results are more useful. The Base Stats Rating is determined by a formula created by X-Act.

Information about the formula is located here.
    A utility for calculating the BSR is located here.
  2. Deck Knight

Deck Knight DK! DK! Donkey Kong is here!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Ima go with Very Good, just because Excellent is hard to attain without serious beasting >_>
  3. Goodbar

Goodbar

Very good, otherwise my spread is ruined and I can't remedy it :(
  4. Lawman

Lawman

I might have to not vote on this one just because I have seen stat spreads in several categories that I am willing to support, but with no clear favorite, and by voting for one I may be skewing results from the best. If I do end up voting here it wouldn't be right now.
  5. Bluecaptain

Bluecaptain

I think that Excellent is worth voting for because it allows more bulkiness, thus being a better disrupter. I also believe that really want to beat many pokemon then you better make it beastly.

Edit:
    I got my spread down below 420, right at 419 actually, now I am regretting my decision.
  6. Deck Knight

Deck Knight DK! DK! Donkey Kong is here!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Funnily enough my most recent spread just crosses the threshold of Excellent, and I can peg it down to Very Good just be removing a single SA point. So I'm set >_>
  7. Goodbar

Goodbar

Lol, well I have a BST of 550 and can't really raise it any higher unfortunately. My intention was to give it all around average stats that it could utilize in different ways that I tried, as opposed to another fucking bulky water ?_?. Anyways I think a majority of the spreads can get away with Very Good and end up quite effective.
  8. Infiltrator

Infiltrator

Voted Very Good(300-419).
  9. linton

linton

Excellent just seems to make more sense here. The more points you got the easier it makes to make this thing counter everything.
  10. stormtrooper

stormtrooper

voted excellent
  11. Lawman

Lawman

Erm, this isn't the place to post your spread, mate.
  12. ferron

ferron

very good it has to counter act most of the top 10, but putting it at 420 or more could be detrimental to the metagame as a whole.
  13. Admiral_Stalfos19

Admiral_Stalfos19

Very Good should be fine, but not overly concerned if Excellent wins instead
  14. ferron

ferron

...did you just plug your build...?
    so not the place for it.
  15. SgtWoodsy

SgtWoodsy

Voted for Very Good.

Is anything below "Quite Good" ever going to win?
  16. ferron

ferron

that'll probably only happen if it says "BL or UU" in th concept
  17. Magmortified

Magmortified <b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I feel Very Good is sufficient for the purposes of this Pokemon.
  18. wildfire393

wildfire393

Hey, sorry about that. I was just showing an example of what a powerful spread under Very Good could be. I haven't actually submitted a spread to be used, and I pretty much just pulled those numbers out of my butt, so I didn't realy care about them.
    Sorry to get people annoyed/whatever.
  19. Coronis

Coronis NORM!
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Voted for very good, as thats what most spreads are right now, including mine.
  20. gorm

gorm
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

voted excellent to give us more options.
  21. rippersteveM5

rippersteveM5

Very Good seems sufficient enough for this poke, with excellent it may end up overpowered. Most of the stat spreads I've seen are in this range or very close to it anyway.
  22. crobatchop

crobatchop

Counter everything? Wouldn't that be too much?
  23. Flosscar

Flosscar

Ou r goal isn't to counter everything, it's to counter the top 5-10. We don't want it too strong because that defeats the purpose of decentralizing by creating too strong a pokemon. I voted 200-299 but that's because I think that the very good option will make people create spreads right at 419, whereas I believe our goal should be to limit it to around 375
  24. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

I voted Quite Good.

I want to keep the stats down a bit. On every CAP project, we blow out the stats, and then we end up having tough decisions to make with the Ability and Movepool. With the mega-stats we give every pokemon, it's hard to give the pokemon a really good ability or even give it certain moves (like Recover, for example). I'd like to have some leeway to INCREASE the power of our pokemon during the ability and movepool threads, rather than dampening the power of our pokemon -- largely because of the amazing stat spreads we always give our pokemon in the beginning of the project.

I made several test stat spreads within the Quite Good range. It's not like the stat spreads there are horrible. Pokemon like Heracross, Starmie, and Magnezone have Quite Good stats and they are certainly not wimps.
  25. Hyra

Hyra
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

voting excellent so I don't have to change my spread, although that now seems likely.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)