CaP 6 Pre-Evo - Part 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Here come the art submissions! At the moment, the only information we have to work with are Cawmodore's design and the Steel/Flying typing we decided to give it's pre-evolution in this poll.

Remember that we are designing the pre-evolution to Cawmodore. Therefore, make your art designs something that could reasonably evolve into Cawmodore. There are plenty of odd evolution designs in Pokemon and you all have plenty of creative license to do as you please, but remember that this Pokemon is supposed to be a first-stage evolution that will evolve into the boisterous Cawmodore. In fact, here's Cawmodore's official art design.

There are some rules concerning legal art submissions. A final submission will contain a main design and supporting material if you choose to add supporting material to your artwork. What constitutes a main design and supporting material will be discussed later in this post. The most important rule concerning art submissions is that all work must be your own. Plagiarism is heavily frowned upon and will only result in pain, misery, and infractions. Or even bans in particularly egregious cases. Using someone else's idea as inspiration is fine, but copying someone else's idea and passing it off as your own is unacceptable. Use discretion when using someone else's idea; if you think you are plagiarizing, you probably are.

Main Designs

A main design is the piece of art that the voters will be voting on. It is modeled after the Official Art of existing Pokemon. For example, the Cawmodore artwork in this post is Cawmodore's Main Design. The winning Main Design will be the official, definitive art for Cawmodore's pre-evolution. Therefore, when creating and submitting your Main Design, remember that your design should be worthy of display as the official art for Cawmodore's pre-evolution. Official pictures of Cawmodore's pre-evolution will use the winning Main Design. Although the idea of a Main Design is the "Official Pokemon Art" of Cawmodore's pre-evolution, that does not mean you have to follow any specific artistic style when designing your Pokemon. There are no pre-determined standards of artistic design or rendering technique.

Here are the rules governing legal Main Design submissions:

• Your design must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no part of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars, Gurdurr's girder), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • Your design must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed size is 640x640 and the minimum allowed size of 320x320.
  • Your design must be in a compressed digital format such as .png or .jpg.
  • Please only host artwork on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.

Final Submission Post Rules

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the Main Design at the top, and supporting material (if applicable) below it.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

These rules are not malleable and will be strictly enforced. Do not use precedence as an argument for breaking these rules. Claiming that your submission is legal because it emulates an existing Pokemon or a previous CAP's art is not a valid reason for breaking the rules. There are existing in-game Pokemon that do not comport with these rules and there are existing CAP Main Designs that do not comport with these rules. However, these are still the current rules for submitting Main Designs and for your design to be legal, it must follow all of these rules. If you are not sure whether your design is legal, feel free to contact me or a CAP moderator. These rules are not meant to discourage users from submitting art and these rules are not supposed to trick anyone. If you want to make sure your submission is legal, please ask!

Supporting Material

Supporting Material is material that adds to your Main Design. Although the winning Supporting Material is not featured in the same capacity as the Main Design, Supporting Material is still useful for convincing others why your design deserves to win the Art Polls. There are almost no rules governing Supporting Material, and almost any Supporting Material you can think of is allowed. Typical examples of Supporting Material include motion sketches, interactions between your art design and other Pokemon (including CAPs), animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips. Pictures of your design from other angles are also acceptable. Non-art supporting material is also perfectly fine. If you would like to argue or describe in words how your art design works, that is also legal. Just remember to keep your Supporting Material tasteful and to relate your Supporting Material to the Main Design. This rule is intended to prevent artists from posting unrelated art in an effort to gain more attention or promote other designs or artworks. Supporting Material is not necessary nor required for the Art Poll. All you need to create to appear in the Art Poll is a legal Main Design, but if you would like to further explain your Main Design then feel free to include Supporting Material. There are very few rules governing Supporting Material, so get creative with your Material if you include some!

General Posting Rules

• Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not spam the thread with excessive amounts of artwork over a short period of time. Apparently, some artists think they will improve their chances in the poll if they overload the submission thread with their artwork. Doing so will result in your posts being moderated.
  • Do not post inconsequential "updates" to previously posted art. Only if you have made a significant change and have not posted art recently can you post an update in the thread.
  • No post can contain more than 800x800 pixels of included art, and no single picture can be larger than 640x640. Past those limits, artists should post links to the additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150x150. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post, even if it passes the limit. All art must be in a compressed digital format such as .jpg or .png.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. Such posts are a weak attempt to "reserve" an idea, and serve no constructive purpose. "Reserving" an idea carries no weight and is completely inconsequential to your final product.
  • Do not post images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to do your idea. This isn't an idea thread. It's fine for artists to post their own inspiration as supporting material. All work should be your own. If you would like to bounce around some ideas, do so on #cap on IRC.
  • No bumping or begging, especially for feedback. If your design is any good, people will comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design is not very good. Consider the silence to be your feedback. If your design is not receiving feedback, then it is probably not impressing anyone enough to win the Art Poll. Discussing your design on #cap on IRC, however, is fine. Just follow the IRC rules when doing so.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or say that anything "is clearly going to win". It's fine to post praise or support for an artwork, but don't make a statement indicating the results of a poll that has not been conducted. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted. There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon, so don't act like you know what a Pokemon should look like. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine, just say that. Saying you dislike a design is fine as long as your criticism is constructive. Don't say someone's design looks more like Agumon than Cawmodore.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. This isn't a tutorial thread.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the main design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post. If the final submission contains no significant supporting material, then no link will be included in the poll below the main design. As a result of This Policy Review decision, all legal Final Submissions will be slated on the Art Poll. You do not have to convince me that your art is worthy to be slated. I am just another voter in terms of the Art Poll, my only other responsibility is, well, running this thread and opening/closing the poll. To reiterate, all legal submissions will make the Art Poll. Don't worry about "not being good enough to be slated", if your post follows all the rules then your design will go before the voters!

Miscellaneous

This thread will be open for much longer than other CAP pre-evolution threads. Abilities and Stats will run concurrently with this thread, so don't worry about a "time crunch" with Art Submissions. I will update this thread with more information (Abilities, Stats, etc.) as we decide on it.

Type: Steel/Flying
Abilities: Keen Eye / Volt Absorb / Big Pecks
Stats: 35 HP / 72 Atk / 85 Def / 40 SpA / 55 SpD / 88 Spe (375 BST)

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

This frigate bird chick went through several iterations before its current incarnation. My original plan for it was for it to be not a mini-Cawmodore, not Privatyke, and representative of a name for it I've been thinking about. The design grew when I browsed Google Images for inspiration. Frigate bird chicks are adorable pieces of fluff... most of the time. Still, that, as well as naval uniforms (hinted by the epaulettes, buttons and collar), inspired me to make this little guy.

A useless trivium: The cowlick on its head was originally planned as a tricorne, but making it fit and the fact that cowlicks are associated with youths led me to change it.

From what I see so far, I really love Quanyails's design. I won't submit anything this round, but good luck to whoever participates!

I need to color this, but here it is. Based on military garb, a chick wearing an eggshell as a helmet. The admittedly weird-looking circle on the beak was my attempt to make the shape of a sextant, like Cawmodore's beak resembles an anchor. It still needs polishing, so expect better-looking stuff soon.

Quanyails I really like yours but I wish it had some more color, like the the "most of the time" reference picture you posted. darker wings would also give a more seamless transition to the current cawmodore design!

So far liking Quany and Blue Frog's designs. Looks like this is going to be the battle of the adorable chicks all around though.

Quany if I had one critique, it'd be to add one more accent color somewhere somehow. Might not need it, but the sketch as it stands looks like it needs just one more thing to make it pop.

Heh, it's been a while, but I guess I'll risk it. Instantly went looking at robin redbreasts (hey, if otters/seagulls can turn into sealions/pelicans, right?) It turned out something like that, mixed with quail. I don't have the best equipment where I am, just art studio gear, so the digital quality is a bit crap, if you can forgive that. I think almost comically over-sized claws are good on a Steel-type.

Last edited:

This "Buoygull" keeps the nautical look, with a feathery crest on its head similar to a sailor's cap, a blue and white color scheme, and a buoy to perch on, keeping the Steel in the design. It could be a flying type one could encounter while using Surf, another interesting aspect that could be incorporated into its profile.

Final Design

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Mine's heavily based upon the young frigate bird, and I tried to mimic the darker (less fluffy) feathers with the blue feathers that I added. I'm not sure how feather-like mine look, though... The fluffy feathers on its head are like a sailor's cap, and the buttons are somewhere in between those of a sailor's shirt and the buttons that Cawmodore has.

In general I think my design needs more contrast, and I'll try to work on that. I experimented making the blue feathers on its wings different colors and was considering red to match Cawmodore's chest, but I'm not entirely sure at this point. If anyone has any suggestions, then I'm all ears.

OK, here's the colored version of my sailor chick.

The color scheme is based on Cawmodore's, while the design evokes a rookie, or a cadet. The black rectangle on its egg-helmet is actually the British Royal Navy's insignia for cadets. As it evolves, it matures both physically & mentally into a fearless captain (or commodore).

From my first draft, I removed the odd beak circle; it doesn't really need it.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Hey, I also have a first draft, although I'm going for a less cute approach to it.

Final Submission

Still needs a lot of work. Also, it's 320x320 because I'm dumb and that's the first thing I read when looking at the size rules. It'll be bigger in the next update, since I need to redo the lineart anyways (it's a bit choppy at the moment, but it'll probably still have a thick outline). However, I'm sticking with this for the general design. Not sure what to add though, at the moment it's literally just a bird with a hat.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I've made the head larger and the beak longer. The blue feathers have been turned red, and its back is now a dark grey to add some contrast. The beak and feet have been overlay with a light gradient to look more like steel. I've also been trying to make the necktie look like it is made of bronze, but I have been having trouble so I left it out in this version. If anyone has any pointers they can share, they would be very welcome.

Edit: Fixed smudge

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Thanks everyone for your great designs so far! Steam Punks and Mos' are probably my two favourites so far. Please be aware that I will likely give around a 24 hour warning when the Stats are finally decided. As they are now at their poll stage, that still gives you a few days yet. I am going to say tentatively that Sunday Evening I will be putting up a 24 hour warning.

HeaLnDeaL I believe there is a smudge on your artwork Above the right hand wing at about eyebrow level about an inch or so out.

Final Submission

I've decided I like my bird just how it is. This hatchling wears its eggshell on its head, mimicking a military helmet. The rectangle on the band is a nod to the British Royal Navy. Its evolution symbolizes its maturing from a rookie sailor taking refuge within his helmet to a fearless captain who risks it all with Belly Drum.

Final Submission

Rather than looking at immature frigate birds, I took the liberty of looking at smaller species, as with Wingull evolving into Pelipper, etc. In particular I liked the idea of a robin redbreast, given Cawmodore's bright chestplate. I wanted to keep the shapes simple, with a sense of the body perhaps being plated (similar to larvitar's line) and with hinged wings evoking its Steel-typing. Overall I wanted a "Gen II" aesthetic, which I'm not sure I captured.

Last edited:
Final Submission

went for a "mini" cawmodore design. Also, first attempt at digital art, im quite happy about it! (although i used random shit like DA muro)

EDIT: thank DHR for pointing that out, gave it a fix and made it overall a little sharper
EDIT2: ugh i should start reading the rules

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
gust_r Could it be possible for you tidy up the lines/"smudge" marks on the head and wings where it looks like it is coming out from the lines?

Thanks guys for so many Final Submissions! Kadew and Quanyails I am looking forward to your designs :P

I decided to take on a simpler route in terms of the design. I based off the design from this particular photo of a baby Frigate bird.

http://www.zblob.com/gal/d/5284-2/CRW_1171.jpg

They are just adorable balls of fluff, and so I created a chubby one as well!

Back on the Pre-evo design, I made the color scheme as so to simply simulate its incomplete maturity. I also included the protruding feathers on Cawmodore's neck which in my design, hopefully came off looking like a scarf. To add once more to an ever-so-slight sailor vibe to it, I incorporated the buttons.

Obviously, this design shows little to no characteristics of being a Steel/Flying type so that's a big problem. For sure, I'll work on that and add/alter elements in my first draft.

psg edit: changed hidden oversized photo to link

Last edited by a moderator:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Had this sitting for a while. Just had to upload it, and I figure to do it now before tomorrow's train ride. Made the wing darker as that photo showed, with darkie's comment. It provides some contrast to the piece. :P I also made a bunch of other minuscule edits.

For those who missed my first post: The design is inspired by fluffy frigate bird chicks and those white naval uniforms.

Comments:
  • Hollymon: More adorable frigatebird chicks! Nice consistency in your drawing with the far wing being raised. In this case, it's a military salute, no? I must wonder, though, whether something in your drawing is part of your style or intentional: the blue ruft and twin tail feathers look quite thick compared to Cawmodore's feathers. Are those supposed to be thick and fluffy, or is it just the shading that suggests that?
  • The Steam Punk: You have one of my favorite designs; I wish it was recognized more! I absolutely love the idea of an eggshell war helmet, and it really fits Cawmodore's pre-evo as it transitions to a commodore (well, army, navy, close enough). I do wish the rest of the bird besides the helmet is more distinct. I can't draw too much design from the wings or tail, for instance.
  • Blue Frog: Your design reminds me of those cymbal-banging monkeys for some reason. I think it's the hat and flaps that make it resemble overalls, as well as those large, glossy eyes, mechanical mouth, and position of wings/arms. Yes, there's something artificial in your design that contrasts with Magistrum's Cawmodore. :/ I think that making the face a bit less stylized will help with it looking less uncanny and more natural.
  • Yilx: You did a great job transforming your sketch into a believable pre-evolution. The eyes are charmingly beady, and the design's portliness and shape contribute to it looking like a vigilant, yet haphazard shipmate. I'm less fond of how the bird's white parts became more like clothing with those contours at their edges. It makes me muse over Cawmodore's design and how much of it is clothing compared to natural colors. By the way, don't think I'm oblivious to the insinuations you make. :P
  • tea_and_blues: The robin is a very nice design to base Cawmodore's pre-evolution off of, what with their palettes matching. :) I like those pivots as indications of the pre-evo's Steel-typing (I presume), and I like the loop-thingy on the bird's beak as a precursor to a full anchor. It's not too subtle nor obvious! Great design.
  • ZapDraws: In case you go for a final submission, ZapDraws, I will say that water is probably not an inherent art of the design. It doesn't have full outlines, anyway. Therefore, drawing a full buoy is probably a better idea that fits within CAP's rules. For the bird itself: The 'snood' confuses me. Does it grow into Cawmodore's anchor? Does it vanish? Seagull beaks don't have that big a growth. The tie on the bird's front also looks as strange as Sylveon's ribbons. They're natural, but they're derived from an unnatural object and therefore, must be incorporated in to the design with the understanding that it's natural. If you make that bow more of a wattle, I think it could pass, but currently, it looks manually attached.
  • heaLnDeaL: Let me get the one big thing I'm not fond of your design: the anchor. It looks to me like a cruise ship company stuck a sticker on Cawmodore's pre-evo's head. o3o What I'm saying is that it looks artificial, unlike the anchor in Magistrum's Cawmodore that's built-in to the beak. Your design has the anchor that's just... there. :/ The rest of the design is okay. It's not my favorite, unfortunately. :/
  • The Reptile: Mmmhmm. I'd also say to make the body less nondistinct, as the hat stands out without other details on the plain body. Making the hat look less explicitly hat-like, too, would be nice.
  • Mos-Quitoxe: Your drawing has its own charm and design distinct from Cawmodore's own design, and it works really well. :) I kinda miss the diaper you had in the first design. The anchor lines are less meaningful that way. Still, fantastic!
  • gust_r: Hmm, watch your outlines. There are broken bits on the right leg, right armpit, left shoulder, and left feather. Also watch where your colors go, since they do go outside of the outline. As for the design itself: I don't see much in the design that's quite outstanding. :/ Evolutions in pokemon are more than growth spurts; new details are added, juvenile traits are erased, and designs change. This drawing's resemblance to Cawmodore is great, to the extent that it can be seen as an interpretation rather than an pre-evolution's design.
  • wobblebuns: More fluffy frigatebird chicks! :D I think we're on the same page with our ideas. Even our descriptions and styles are similar! Yours is in a cuter style than mine. :) Oh, yeah: If you make that post a Final Submission, I suggest you change that thumbnail into a link, just to ensure compliance with the rules and Xenforo's thumbnail ambiguity.
  • Edit: Wobblebuns: The rules say that no thumbnails for additional images can be larger than 150x150, but Xenforo converts images in hide tabs into thumbnails, without really changing the original image. I asked on IRC if Xenforo's way of shrinking images counts as making them thumbnails or not, and I haven't received an answer the one time I asked; hence, that ambiguity.
  • paintseagull: From what I saw in IRC, your bird would fit the position of a ship's crew member very well--with its salute doubling as sunglasses to protect against the sharp glare of water. Don't worry about its similarity or lack of to Cawmodore, considering that there have been greater differences between pre-evolutions and evolutions (Wingull, Pelipper, e.g.). You've kept enough traits to it (the scarf, the hat, and I hope, the colors). :P In addition, it really fits the ability Keen Eye.
  • Kadew: Your adorkable bird again shows off your ability to draw designs with personality. It would fit onto a crew quite well, what with it working with a life preserver on at all costs as it runs around, (presumably) adjusting sails or keeping a lookout. I particularly like the hat you make for it and how it's unique, yet tellingly translates into Cawmodore's hat. Now, I hope you make a final submission! :P

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)