1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CaP 6 Pre-Evo - Part 3 - Art Submissions

Discussion in 'CAP Pre-Evolution Workshop' started by DHR-107, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wobblebuns

Wobblebuns
    is an Artist

I'm sorry if I'll sound n00bish, but what do you mean by this and how do you do it? :<

Oh, and I'd also like to know when's the deadline for Final Submissions just so I could work on my pace accordingly.
  2. HeaLnDeaL

HeaLnDeaL
    is a Pre-Contributor

Final Submission

[​IMG]

I really tried to balance out a lot of things in my design in order to make it fit the known information about the pre-evolution that we have gathered from the polls already. As a steel/flying type, I gave my interpretation of BabyCaw a steel beak and matching talons, and its sailor neck tie was made bronze (err, brass?) to add to the metal theme a bit. To match keen eye, it's eyes were made large, and I felt the neck tie being bronze rather than silver would somehow fit volt absorb better; this might just be because of color association since bronze is more yellow and thus seemingly more electric-like. Admittedly it is hard to make a young bird look like it is able to absorb lightning. I got rid of the anchor on its forehead and made the brim of its hat more noticeable, but I have a few friends who are telling me to put the anchor back on so I'm feeling pretty torn about that. Overall, I think it looks believable as a pre-evolution to Cawmodore, but I really do like the creativity in other designs such as Mos' and tea_and_blues'.

I'm glad I got my feet wet through this prevo CAP project, and I hope that in the future I will have more creative designs. I'm not feeling too confident with this one, but good luck to everyone!
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. Blue Frog

Blue Frog Azureus
    is an Artist

Final Submission

[​IMG]
    Changes made:

-Cleaned up lines and shading in general
    -Adjusted the eyes and beak to make it look more organic
    -Reduced the "button" size on its chest
    -Changed the hat to make it more resemble a sailor's hat
    -Fixed the feet to look like Cawmodore's

Thanks for the advice, Quanyails! I think this looks much better now. Good luck to all the other artists!
  4. paintseagull

paintseagull pink wingull
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator

Here are my ideas so far
    [​IMG]
    I know some people like the Crow's Nest one, but I don't think it really works, and the steel typing isn't there. The supercute fluffball niche has been filled so I've gone with a lanky adolescent. I'll probably finish the coloured sketch.
  5. Mos-Quitoxe

Mos-Quitoxe
    is an Artist

Ooh, that's a nice one Paintseagull. Just put the rightmost sketch's beak on the face of the coloured-in one, and to me at least it'll be perfect. ( ^ 3^) b

EDIT: gawwwwwd I'm blind
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  6. Wobblebuns

Wobblebuns
    is an Artist

Hello there! So I've been busy tweaking my design and after about an hour of trial and error, I finally settled with this. (for now)

[​IMG]

I found it hard incorporating steel elements to the design without it looking too forced or inorganic. But I guess with this one, it melds into my concept quite nicely. The steel plates covering his body is a part of the Pokemon's defensive mechanism. Similar to a turtle or an armadillo, cute baby Frigate bird-mon can curl up inside it when in danger. The plates are able to withstand moderately-strong explosions as a demonstration of its durability. And one more additional flavor, is that his feathers -mostly in the wing part- are made up of fine iron filings which are able to conduct electricity. I guess that concept makes sense with the Volt-absorb ability.

If I have time, I'll make some supporting materials showing him curled up within the steel plates. Maybe a side and a back view as well for a more detailed reference.
  7. paintseagull

Stats have finished up, so we need to finish art now! DHR hasn't posted an official warning, but I'd suspect he'd like it finished soon, so I'll say that we have at least 24 hours from this post but not necessarily more. I don't think I'll have time to put together the poll 24h from now, so it'll depend when DHR / another mod(s) have a chance. Since DHR is usually not on at this time of night, I'd say you'll have a bit longer than 24h.
    tea_and_blues likes this.
  8. paintseagull

Final Submission
    [​IMG]

He's shielding his eyes from the sun btw and looking far into the distance (Keen Eye), not saluting!
  9. tea_and_blues

tea_and_blues

Don't worry, that's exactly how it reads. Great design. ^_^
  10. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

Indeed, paintseagull. I can throw something together at some point! I would like to put this up as an official 24 hour warning Or there or there abouts :) If you contact me directly asap you might get a slight extension. Kadew You have your orders :P
  11. Wobblebuns

Wobblebuns
    is an Artist

Final Submission
    [​IMG]
    HeaLnDeaL and Integer Mova like this.
  12. Andrew

Andrew Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot
    is an Artist
    Mentor

Hi, I'm pretty late to the party but here are my thoughts:

[​IMG]

the pose is pretty much lifted from a certain sailor-y cartoon character, and the hat, but I gave him nice spindly legs, an anchor sign on the hat, little feather flaps under the hat like Cawmodor, and shoulder pads and buttons on his shirt/vest thing. He has big muscly arms with wings that aren't yet adept at flying, and also has tail feathers reminsicent of Cawmodor
    Agile Turtle likes this.
  13. Kadew

Kadew Forbidden from everything forever
    is an Artist

14. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

The Reptile , andrew3391 , Hollymon , ZapDraws You guys have about 3 Hours Then I am going to wrap this up at lunch time my time. Please mark as Final Submission so I know it wants to be entered!

Really liking a lot of the designs :) Thankyou for entering!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)