CaP 6 Pre-Evo - Part 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Submission

Comments:

• wobblebuns: More fluffy frigatebird chicks! :D I think we're on the same page with our ideas. Even our descriptions and styles are similar! Yours is in a cuter style than mine. :) Oh, yeah: If you make that post a Final Submission, I suggest you change that thumbnail into a link, just to ensure compliance with the rules and Xenforo's thumbnail ambiguity.
I'm sorry if I'll sound n00bish, but what do you mean by this and how do you do it? :<

Oh, and I'd also like to know when's the deadline for Final Submissions just so I could work on my pace accordingly.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

I really tried to balance out a lot of things in my design in order to make it fit the known information about the pre-evolution that we have gathered from the polls already. As a steel/flying type, I gave my interpretation of BabyCaw a steel beak and matching talons, and its sailor neck tie was made bronze (err, brass?) to add to the metal theme a bit. To match keen eye, it's eyes were made large, and I felt the neck tie being bronze rather than silver would somehow fit volt absorb better; this might just be because of color association since bronze is more yellow and thus seemingly more electric-like. Admittedly it is hard to make a young bird look like it is able to absorb lightning. I got rid of the anchor on its forehead and made the brim of its hat more noticeable, but I have a few friends who are telling me to put the anchor back on so I'm feeling pretty torn about that. Overall, I think it looks believable as a pre-evolution to Cawmodore, but I really do like the creativity in other designs such as Mos' and tea_and_blues'.

I'm glad I got my feet wet through this prevo CAP project, and I hope that in the future I will have more creative designs. I'm not feeling too confident with this one, but good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission

Changes made:

-Cleaned up lines and shading in general
-Adjusted the eyes and beak to make it look more organic
-Reduced the "button" size on its chest
-Changed the hat to make it more resemble a sailor's hat
-Fixed the feet to look like Cawmodore's

Thanks for the advice, Quanyails! I think this looks much better now. Good luck to all the other artists!

Ooh, that's a nice one Paintseagull. Just put the rightmost sketch's beak on the face of the coloured-in one, and to me at least it'll be perfect. ( ^ 3^) b

EDIT: gawwwwwd I'm blind

Last edited:
Hello there! So I've been busy tweaking my design and after about an hour of trial and error, I finally settled with this. (for now)

I found it hard incorporating steel elements to the design without it looking too forced or inorganic. But I guess with this one, it melds into my concept quite nicely. The steel plates covering his body is a part of the Pokemon's defensive mechanism. Similar to a turtle or an armadillo, cute baby Frigate bird-mon can curl up inside it when in danger. The plates are able to withstand moderately-strong explosions as a demonstration of its durability. And one more additional flavor, is that his feathers -mostly in the wing part- are made up of fine iron filings which are able to conduct electricity. I guess that concept makes sense with the Volt-absorb ability.

If I have time, I'll make some supporting materials showing him curled up within the steel plates. Maybe a side and a back view as well for a more detailed reference.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Stats have finished up, so we need to finish art now! DHR hasn't posted an official warning, but I'd suspect he'd like it finished soon, so I'll say that we have at least 24 hours from this post but not necessarily more. I don't think I'll have time to put together the poll 24h from now, so it'll depend when DHR / another mod(s) have a chance. Since DHR is usually not on at this time of night, I'd say you'll have a bit longer than 24h.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Stats have finished up, so we need to finish art now! DHR hasn't posted an official warning, but I'd suspect he'd like it finished soon, so I'll say that we have at least 24 hours from this post but not necessarily more. I don't think I'll have time to put together the poll 24h from now, so it'll depend when DHR / another mod(s) have a chance. Since DHR is usually not on at this time of night, I'd say you'll have a bit longer than 24h.
Indeed, paintseagull. I can throw something together at some point! I would like to put this up as an official 24 hour warning Or there or there abouts :) If you contact me directly asap you might get a slight extension. Kadew You have your orders :P

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Hi, I'm pretty late to the party but here are my thoughts:

the pose is pretty much lifted from a certain sailor-y cartoon character, and the hat, but I gave him nice spindly legs, an anchor sign on the hat, little feather flaps under the hat like Cawmodor, and shoulder pads and buttons on his shirt/vest thing. He has big muscly arms with wings that aren't yet adept at flying, and also has tail feathers reminsicent of Cawmodor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)