1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 6 Pre-Evo - Part 6 - Name Submissions

Discussion in 'CAP Pre-Evolution Workshop' started by paintseagull, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paintseagull

paintseagull pink wingull
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator

Posted on behalf of DHR

Well, now we have chosen out art work, we can now move onto our name! The winning artist was Mos-Quitoxe.

[​IMG]

And here is the first images of our little baby bird! Please be patient and please read all the rules before submitting a name, people can be disqualified for silly reasons and I don't want that :(

Rules

Legal name submissions must meet the following standards
    • Names must start with a capital letter.
    • Names cannot be longer than 10 letters.
    • Names can only contain the following characters:
      • Letters A-Z
      • Numbers 1-9
      • Dash (-)
      • Apostrophe (')
      • Period (.)
      • Space
    • No more than two capital letters can be included in the name, and capital letters cannot be consecutive.
    • A maximum of two non-letters can be included in the name, and a maximum of one non-letter of each type can be included (ie. You can't have two numbers, or two apostrophes, but you could have one number and one apostrophe)

Work In Progress (WIP) Names can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Names can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with lists of Names. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP names by posting them repeatedly, or making minor spelling changes of a letter or two. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all names by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person and only after Final Submissions are open.

Name Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator or Leader posts in the thread that final submissions are open. Any final submission posted prior to the Moderator notification post, will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that all submitters have equal opportunity to post final submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Final submissions must provide one sentence (25 words maximum) explaining the etymology of the name.

Final submissions must provide a common English pronunciation. The common pronunciation can be made in whatever format you feel best conveys the pronunciation to most English speakers.

Do not post a profane name. Do not imply profanity with your name. This includes swear words, racial/ethnic/any-group-of-people slurs, and anything that doesn't belong in a game rated E for Everyone. If a six-year-old would be offended by your name, it's time to think of a different name.

Name Final Submissions must be posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
    • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on its own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
    • A blank line
    • The Name submission in bold.
    • A blank line
    • A one line description of the etymology of the name or why it is appropriate for our Pokemon.
    • A blank line
    • "Pronounced: <common English pronunciation>"
    Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:
    If you wish to include IPA in your submission you can underneath.

Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.
    If you are going to comment on someone elses name, please elaborate on a point when you comment. "I like this name" is not helpful and will be subject to moderation. Give us reasons why you like it and support it. Go forth and name!

Our CaP Prevo So far:

[​IMG]
    Type: Steel/Flying
    Abilities: Keen Eye / Volt Absorb / Big Pecks
    Stats: 35 HP / 72 Atk / 85 Def / 40 SpA / 55 SpD / 88 Spe (375 BST)

Edit: Final Submissions are now open!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
  2. Quanyails

Quanyails
    is an Artistis a Community Contributor

Squabbie

"Squawk" + "Swabbie", with a hint of "Squab".

Pronounced: SKWAH-bee
    IPA: skwɑ́bí

I've been sitting on this name for a while, and I like how it parallels Cawmodore's name while being indicative of the pre-evo's lower rank than it. Instead of a sharp "caw", "squawk" is appropriate onomatopoeia for a young'un. Similarly, instead of a commodore, a swabbie is by definition a lower-ranking member of a navy. The hint of the word "squab" is serendipitous, but only in the sense of a young pigeon rather than food (although the design does look like a drumstick... :P). Less so with "squabble".
    dwarfstar, darkie, Luigifan and 4 others like this.
  3. Kadew

Kadew Forbidden from everything forever
    is an Artist

Boid

Bird + buoyed

Pronounced: Boy'd

It's a boid.
    Todd and Yilx like this.
  4. srk1214

srk1214 You are people yes ou no?
    is a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Kedgeling

Kedge + Fledgling

A kedge is a type of anchor. Historically they looked like this, while in modern times they often look like this. I'm aware Gen 6 has Fletchling playing off of the fledgling base, but technically Fletchling doesn't exist yet. This is a Gen 5 mon :)
    dwarfstar likes this.
  5. Lugi

Lugi

WIP

Li'lanker

Li'l+anker (Anchor in Middle English) also we need more Pokemon names with punctuation (edited)

Pronounced: Lil-anker
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  6. bugmaniacbob

bugmaniacbob Floats like a Butterfree, stings like a Metapod
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Fluffle

Fluffy Scuffle
  7. Hollymon

Hollymon

Ancaw/Ankaw

Going with Cawmodore's Caw theme, here is Anchor (very appropriate) and caw. I'm struggling with spelling though.
    HeaLnDeaL, dwarfstar and Nyktos like this.
  8. solana

solana

Cawdet

Caw, like cawmodore, the noise that some birds make. "det" comes from the word "cadet", which I think fits the navy ranking style.
  9. LightningLord2

LightningLord2

Battlchirp

Battleship + Chirp
  10. Mowtom

Mowtom

Cawby

Caw (as in Cawmodore) + Baby
  11. Tahu

Tahu

Final Submission

Cadetross

Cadet (A naval rank for trainees) + Albatross

Pronounced KUH-det-ross
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Luigifan likes this.
  12. topher4167

topher4167

WIP(s)

Chirpetite
    Combination of chirp and petite, because he is small.
    Chirpadet
    Combination of chirp and cadet.
    Chirpie
    Combination of chirp, swabbie, and kiddie (sort of). Also, cutesy mon name (:

I like using chirp as opposed to Cawmodore's caw, because he's smaller and probably has a weaker sound before he evolves.
  13. Mos-Quitoxe

Mos-Quitoxe
    is an Artist

Cawmorunt

Caw is of course a birdlike noise to make, and runt is a noun that describes a small or undersized animal, which is appropriate for a baby-stage monster, I think. The mo ties it all together by making the whole sound like 'cormorant', which are seabirds that look sort of similar to frigatebirds, but can actually swim.
    You might think that an anchor-themed steel bird would be too heavy to swim. I say you go tell that to Rhyperior.
  14. SubwayJ

SubwayJ

Cawminor
    Caw+Minor, simple and stays similar enough to Cawmodore, while still giving a smaller apperance

Cawmite
    Mostly same as above, but "Mite" rather than minor

---------------------------------

Two names with relatively simple origins that I think just sound pleasant for a younger version of Cawmodore
  15. Objection

Objection

Of these three, I'd pick Chirpadet so as to keep not just the bird sounds theme but also the naval rank theme, which doesn't come across quite as well in Chirpie.
    topher4167 likes this.
  16. gust_r

gust_r

WIPs

Ancherling

anchor + youngling, 'e' is there because for me it sounds better

Gaivet
    Gaivota (portuguese for seagull) + cadet, it also sounds like canivete which is portuguese for swiss knife (it really looks like one for me)
    lol i just cant get myself used to english

i really like squabbie, boid and fluffle cause they all add a "squishy" feel to the name, particulary boid
  17. Nyktos

Nyktos Custom Loser Title
    is a Pre-Contributor

Ancaw is what I wanted to suggest as well. I like it better with the C, since that's what's in both of the root words.
    Hollymon likes this.
  18. Fuzzie

Fuzzie

WIP

Cawse

Caw + Hawse ("The shaft or hole in the side of a vessel's bow through which the anchor chain passes.")

Killicaw

Killick (A small and possibly improvized anchor) + Caw

Cawllick

Same as above, but reversed.
  19. P2X7

P2X7

WIP

Wrensign

The name comes from wren, a kind of small bird, and ensign, a commissioned officer of the lowest rank in the US Navy and Coast Guard; also the lowest rank of commissioned infantry officer in the British army.
    DetroitLolcat likes this.
  20. The Steam Punk

The Steam Punk

WIP

Anchrow
    - "ANCHor" + "cROW" or "ROW"

Rookaw - "ROOKie" + "cAW"

Novian - "NOVice" + "avIAN". This one's kind of a long shot.
  21. GreatLiver

GreatLiver

WIP

Plebird

Plebe summer is a training program before the first semester of freshman year at the Naval Academy and those kids are called plebes. Bird is bird. Also sounds sorta like "pretty bird" being said quickly when you say it, which would be either weird or endearing coming out of the thing's mouth.
  22. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

Anchird

Anchor + Bird

Pronounced "Anchored"

Lugi and dwarfstar like this.
  23. AOPSUser

AOPSUser

Birkaw

Bird+Kaw

this has nothing to do with birkal i swear
    MoxieInfinite, Yilx, Leethoof and 3 others like this.
  24. Ralts

Ralts

Angull
    Anchor + Gull
    Pronounce Angle
    DHR-107 likes this.
  25. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

Final Submissions are now open!

Okay, I am going to see if this works or not... But try to let people know. I am going to allow another 48 hours for Final Submissions to be made! Please follow the format in the OP... paintseagull (or jas61292 / Korski ) Can you add this to the OP? It must not of copied correctly for Paint when she made it ^_^ Thankyou

Example final submission:
    If you wish to include IPA in your submission you can underneath.

I will *try* and tag people here but I don't know if you will all be tagged!

Quanyails Kadew srk1214 LudicrousLugia bugmaniacbob Hollymon solana LightningLord2 Mowtom Toa Tahu topher4167 Mos-Quitoxe SubwayJ gust_r Fuzzie P2X7 The Steam Punk GreatLiver darkie AOPSUser Ralts Chesnaught

And for testing purposes Joim and sandshrewz ;) Thats 25 tags until Joim :) Get submitting!
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)