CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 13 - Name Discussion/Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know why we go to all the trouble of voting for something that looks totally badass... then try to name it Bonkit. :(
Because there are plenty of people who've never played TF2, I'd kind of mark this down as more of an obscure reference kind of thing.
...What does that have to do with it?
When I look at that art, I get more along the line of "I am a badass and very sinister wolf. Do not mess with me." I can stretch that to fox. But, generally, "Good kitten" equates more to something with a lighter color scheme and maybe a cuter - and less sinister - face/mask, y'know? Sorry, cyber. Not buying. :S
I'll back Kitsunoh. I tried making up a name of my own before realizing that Kitsunoh's about as good as it gets.
Mag is unable to accept that Bonkit is an actual name submission because he is on a secret mission to make sure I don't get TL anytime in the next 70 CAPs! >=O
And yeah, Kitsune is probably as good as it gets.

Bonkit is really reminiscent of fidgit to me. o_O

i'll back Sedaux, i'm a sucker for french pokemon. n__________n

Obviously I'm a bit late, but one name that crossed my mind while I was spriting was Ferroul. I don't honestly expect it to be liked, but I found it appropriate. It's basically a splice of Ferrous, Feral, and Ghoul.

Still, the name having english roots isnt all that important. What english is Ho-Oh from? Hypno's japanese name is Sleeper, the language isnt really important.

Syclant, Revenankh, Pyroak, Fidgit, Stratagem, and Arghonaut. See any foreign roots in there aside from Pyro, which is in the english language anyway?
Ankh is Egyptian. People suggested all kinds of German, French, and Spanish names in past threads and nobody complained to this extent. The only reason anyone is being this hard on a Japanese name is their indiefag "it's popular so it must suck" attitudes.

Pokemon is a Japanese game, several existing pokemon have Japanese names, there's no problem with having a Japanese name. There IS a problem with using a name that is completely non-sequitur.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ankh is Egyptian. People suggested all kinds of German, French, and Spanish names in past threads and nobody complained to this extent. The only reason anyone is being this hard on a Japanese name is their indiefag "it's popular so it must suck" attitudes.
Except that again, ancient history in general is taught in school, while Japanese is not. And believe me this isn't one of those "indiefag" things as you say it is, its because I don't think the name is very good and you have to go out of your way to go find the meaning. Anhk, while not being a household name, certanly isn't obscure to any intellectual worth half a damn.

Pokemon is a Japanese game, several existing pokemon have Japanese names, there's no problem with having a Japanese name. There IS a problem with using a name that is completely non-sequitur.
What about Fidgit? That seemed pretty random for a support Pokemon.

However I won't continue this conversation because flavor polls are essentially a popularity contest, and you can nickname the Pokemon anyway.

I'd like to make a submission:

Parodox
{par-O-dox}

A blend of:
Parody - a feeble imitation, a travesty.
and
Paradox - a self-contradiction.
and obligatory
Ox - reminiscent of 'fox', lol.

Hopefully reasoning is self explanatory.

Kyusohna
A combination of Kyubi no kitsune/nine tailled fox and persona
kyu from kyubi no kitsune/ nine tailled fox
Sohna from persona that means a mask in Rome, added with h on the middle of "o" and "n"

Ceremaske
A combination of Cerberus and masque
Cere for cerebrus the 3 headed dog
Maske is for masque

Luphin is much more subtle than its construction than most of the other names, even the frontrunners (in my opinion) like Phox and Kitsunoh; the first is a bit blatant and the second quite foreign (and still blatant in that language).

As such, I favor Luphin.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Except that again, ancient history in general is taught in school, while Japanese is not. And believe me this isn't one of those "indiefag" things as you say it is, its because I don't think the name is very good and you have to go out of your way to go find the meaning. Anhk, while not being a household name, certanly isn't obscure to any intellectual worth half a damn.
Nor is Japanese obscure to anyone who watches Cartoon Network, follows manga, or follows anime. Japanese iconography isn't taught in schools, but its all over popular media for teenagers. I daresay everyone at Smogon knows what a kitsune is on the basis they either love or hate "Naruto."

Also, you don't discard names just because your audience may potentially have the vocabulary and cultural knowledge of a brick. I sincerely doubt most people knew what a revenant was (it isn't that commonly used, even in video games), yet after a simple explanation it was chosen as part of a name.

Addendum: As a matter of fact, I do research before submitting names so I come up with something that fits. English is a very extensive language, but is also has little poetic force taken one or two words at a time. All our nouns are fairly boilerplate.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the thematic form of this pokemon reminds me of an "eeveelution."

With that in mind, I'm going to go with Pitheon, the "essense of being".

The idea would probably work better if it were mono-ghost, but whatever.

I like the names Surveilynx and Barghest, as well.

kyu from kyubi no kitsune/ nine tailled fox
The thing is, Kyuu is a number, with Kyuubi = Nine tails. Although this guy is a fox, there isn't anything 9 about it really. If anything, there is already a nine tailed fox in Ninetales (Jap: Kyuukon).

Meh, the only thing that I can think of is Phoxtrot. Foxtrot is a code word, usually for when spelling things over radio (Alpha, Beta, Charlie...that sort of thing). Then tossing in "Ph" for the same reason this creation was called "Phox" to begin with.

It's also a dance, in case anyone was wondering. xD Not that I'm meaning for that use of the word/phrase. Although, it does seem pretty light on its feet.

^

How about just Foxtrot. It is simple, has a nice ring, and is not foreign.

Final: Foxtrot.

Not everything has to be drowned with sophistication or be filled hidden meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)