CAP 8 CAP 8 - Art Submissions

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by CyzirVisheen, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkchicken

darkchicken

Whoa, Blu, this is awesome! I love the sinister look! If anything, try to make it more electric, but I love it the way it is!
  2. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Yilx, that looks really, really good! I can't believe you took off the outlines in the first place!?! The outlines really add a lot of "pop" to the art, IMO. I love your design, color choices, and shading techniques. Nice job.
  3. m190049

m190049

The shoulders+legs remind me somewhat of Metagross...
    It also looks somewhat steel-type-ish... At least, to me.

That's still quite a nice design you have there.
  4. Regi DS

Regi DS

man, I'm so gonna lose with all these great entries XD
  5. Dr. Duck

Dr. Duck

I'm still rooting for you Regi =D
  6. Cartoons!

Cartoons! !!!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Same here, Regi!

Final Submission

[​IMG]

Supporting material:
    http://ivnbvn.com/images/dragonzap.jpg
    http://ivnbvn.com/images/cap8.jpg
    http://ivnbvn.com/images/cap82.jpg

It was my intention to submit an animation too, but I don't think I'd get around to it until after the polls have taken place. Thanks to everyone who supported fat dragon and for the comments it received. It was a rewarding experience to keep quiet about the particularities of the design and see what conclusions people drew from it unaided.

Good luck to everyone; the polls feel like they'll be as close as they were with CAP6.
  7. TheMutant

TheMutant o^o
    is an Artist Alumnus

I know I'm not winning with this fellow, but the challenge is the reward. :3 Lots of great submissions, I don't know how I'll decide which to vote on. And I know, I know, glow effects are bad, but I felt it was important to have some kind of field around my fellows' wing to show that it's being held by a magnetic or electrical force, rather than just... floating there.

Final Submission

[​IMG]

Supporting material:

http://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09174/icklecap2724.jpg (Purely hypothetical prevo.)
    http://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09170/capshield_copy504.jpg (Sketch of my fellow displaying the use of his wing as a shield.)
    http://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09170/capextension_copy155.jpg (Wing at full extension.)
  8. Chaoscrippler

Chaoscrippler

Cartoons, I love the way you put the light source coming from underneath. It makes it so look massive and intimidating.
  9. Not Scicky

Not Scicky

Final Submission:

[​IMG]

Supporting Material:
    First version: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/815/eledra.gif
    I was Intrigued: http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8531/misikichan.png
    Possible Shinies?: http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9214/elotsacolours.gif

Other: Well guys, it's been an awesome round of art despite the otherwise shaky process we've gone through for CAP 8, I'm proud of myself for this design, whether it wins or not. I know my designs appeal is made somewhat more limited by the pink fluff, but please, I hope you don't let that sway your vote (There's always shinies ;_;). Props go out to Cartoons!, Cyzir, Regi, Buffalo Wings and newer users Velvet Evoker and Blu for their designs (and a special mention to Bearz and DukeOfFunk for their awesome designs), not that the others are bad, but WOW, these guys... (Also, if Cartoons! or Cyzir win, congrats on being the first artist to win 2 CAP's)

Only this time I'm gonna win! (Insert still image of me jumping up with my right arm thrusted upwards) YEAH!
  10. Sanglunaria

Sanglunaria

I think I'm going to follow the suit and post my final submission as I can't see myself doing anything else with my design. I think it looks fine as it is, and there haven't been any comments telling me otherwise. It's the same image as my last one, just cropped so it fits the regulations.

Final Submission:
    [​IMG]

Supporting material:
    http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5474/resistancesupporting.jpg

Last Words:
    Firstly, I am completely enthralled by CyzirVisheen's design. I definitely see it going much further in the polls than my design will, so good luck to the electric hydra! Secondly, thank you to the few of you who have supported my design- your comments gave me the last push I needed to draw up the supporting material image. Overall, I can't wait to see the results of this CAP, nor can I wait until the next one.
  11. Lord Raiden

Lord Raiden

Cool

Whoa, this is a really cool project.

If I had known about it sooner I would have submitted some art, but I am too busy with school right now for any kind of serious submissions.

I like pkmn-taicho's the most, followed by cartoon's! submission, and then that thundercloud hydra-thing that Yilx did.

Edit: Regi DS's poke looks reallly good. That one just about ties with pkmn-taicho's IMO.
  12. KoA

KoA The very best...
    is an Artist

Lol guys I have no idea why, but I spent the greater part of ten hours working on a piece of SUPPORTING MATERIAL!

But, this is not only my best piece of supporting material I've made, but possibly my best pic ever.

Someone way back mentioned something about my design looking like MetalSeadramon, so I relived my childhood and watched the episode where he got the shit torn out of him by WarGreymon. He looked a bit similar yeah, but the Digimon he beared a closer resemblance too was MegaSeadramon:
    [​IMG]

So, to showcase the two monsters a bit, and to poke a bit of fun at the whole "lol looks like a Digimon" argument, I made this piece showing the two monsters facing off and fighting. IIRC, MegaSeadramon was able to shoot lightning bolts from his horn. If not, oh well he does now.

[​IMG]

Thumbnail that leads to full-sized pic:
    [​IMG]

Editing my Final Submission post now.

EDIT: They apparently both are unlucky and missed with their Thunders. :x
  13. TVboyCanti

TVboyCanti

OMG, I love this. I love the Zigzag stripes and the color scheme, it's a perfect blend of the two types, with Electric slightly dominating. Do you think you could sketch some supporting poses?

This design pool is so much better than the one for the previous CAP, I can't decide which I like best.
  14. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Wow, KOA. Your art sabbatical has paid off in a big way. Your CG art skills have improved dramatically! I think your "Battlemons" pic is fantastic!

One critique about your lighting and shadows...

Try to stay consistent with your light source. Your shadows "wander" a bit, on several elements of the drawing. I'm lazy about shadows sometimes too, and other times I will intentionally cast shadows in the "wrong" direction, even when I am not using multiple light sources. I usually do that to emphasize some particular shape, but I don't want to go all-out and light the drawing from multiple angles. So I "cheat" occasionally. But, typically, you should try to keep your shadows consistent with your light source (or sources).

Considering how much "flash" you have emanating from the thunderbolts, and their proximity to the creatures -- it seems most natural that the shadows would be cast in relation to the thunderbolts. Since the rest of the picture is dark, it's even more likely that the thunderbolts are the only meaningful light sources. So your creature in the upper left, should probably have shadows cast as if the light source is from the lower right (the middle of the picture) -- which is the location of the thunderbolt flash. The Digimon is already somewhat lit from the left, although it appears that the light is coming from overhead on most parts of the body. A few spikes on the Digimon's back appear to be lit from below, which is off.

If you lit both creatures with deep shadows cast from a light source in the center of the drawing, it would create a very dramatic lighting effect. I rarely do drawings that afford me this opportunity, since most of my drawings are "posed" -- but I enjoy doing dramatic lighting on the few occasions that it comes up. Your drawing really stands out as a chance to do a cool lighting "study". Something to think about in the future.

Technical lighting issues aside -- it's a wonderful picture. And I agree that it's the best pic I have seen from you to date. Great job!
  15. The_Bassoonist

The_Bassoonist

GK! I love yours more and more! You will have my vote for sure! The colour scheme is perfect! Just one idea: One head's nice and the other mean, right? Try removing the teeth on the nice one. Might give even further contrast. It's really bloody brilliant as it is, though!!
  16. Keishinkae

Keishinkae

[​IMG]Combined the two...final submission coming up soon as I sketch up the supporting material.
  17. KoA

KoA The very best...
    is an Artist

Yeah Doug, I noticed the shading discrepancies too little too late. I'm usually pretty good with keeping consist shadows, but this was the first time I ever made a battle scene like this.

Eeeeeeh, it happens.

Also, I'm glad you reverted back to the Egyptian influence, Keishinkae

In my opinion, it was what made your design come to life.
  18. Clawed Nyasu

Clawed Nyasu

I literally joined just now simply so that I could comment on these arts. =P

pkmn-taicho: Yours is and has been my favorite. I just love the overall look and shape of it, and its design really has an authentic Pokemon feel to it.

Keishinkae: Love it! I'd say it's my second favorite now. The combined design works well. One thing I'd have to say though, is I liked the horns on the earlier design better, as they were more angular and these ones look a bit warped. I also think the back of the head dips in a bit too much from the headdress.

Yilx: Awesome. Strangely enough, my first thought on seeing the arms was 'Rhyperior' but then I was Metagross too. Still a sweet design, though.

RegiDS: This is great. One thing that's a shame is that the base stat rating restrictions essentially prevent CAP8 from being a base 600 pseudo-legend, which is where this thing would really fit in, imo.

Wyverii: Not much to say, other than that this is made of win.
  19. Lord Raiden

Lord Raiden

Woops, I thought Yilx did the hydra one. Yilx's still looks good, it just doesn't look enough like an electric type to me.
  20. Keishinkae

Keishinkae

Final Submission

Final Submission:

[​IMG]

Supporting Material: Pending

Final Words: Well, this had its up and downs..mostly on trying to make this thing look bulky enough. Im done working on it, so this is my final piece. I intend todo supporting material, thus why its pending, but it I cant after submitting this, then I may do an art thread or some such. I hope to participate in future CAPs as well!
  21. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I couldn't have it better myself. The Egyptian headdress really made his design so damn great. I mean I did like the one without it myself, but the headdress with bull horns was what drove me to support that piece of work the most. Great job there, Kei.
  22. nardd

nardd

23. ParadOxymoron

ParadOxymoron

Doomsday, color this in and make it your Final Submission! It's really good :D

If this is colored, it will rock my socks. A lot. :)
  24. TheMantyke

TheMantyke ᴵ ᶰᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵐᵒᶰˢᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᶫᵒᵇᵇᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ᴷᶦʳᵇʸ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

Blargh. Too many amazing submissions here. I have a pretty hopeless shot, but it's a shot none the less!

Final Submission:

[​IMG]

Final words: The concept behind him was inspired for a design for a "cute" CAP. He wrecks havoc luring foes into a sense of self security with his goofy look only to baffle them with his raw appliance power! A sturdy lamp can keep things safer then you may think!
  25. Gir!

Gir!

Damn, its goint to be hard to choose between those 2, anyways, KoA, can I please use the 1430x966 image? I will, of course, give you the credit for it
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)