1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Ever find yourself missing out on the latest Smogon articles? We've now got a subscription service, so the newest articles (of your choice) are delivered right to your inbox! Check it out here.

CAP 8 CAP 8 - Art Submissions

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by CyzirVisheen, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ybbob

Ybbob

Yeah, I think Zantimonus' art is where it's at. I love the robotic styling and overall look, it shys away from the tradition organic flying dragons like Salamence and Dragonite.
  2. CyzirVisheen

CyzirVisheen Am I poplar yet?
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

!
    Well damn. Indeed it is off perspective-wise. Though the forelegs are supposed to be that far apart, the back legs weren't. I've made adjustments accordingly. Does this look any better?

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/CyzirVisheen/cap8hydrafinal2.png
    This is why I don't like doing quadrupeds >_>

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/CyzirVisheen/?action=view&current=cap8hydrafinal.png
    http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/CyzirVisheen/?action=view&current=cap8hydrafinal2.png
    First One vs. Newest One
  3. Penguino

Penguino

Perhaps you could move the heads upwards? It seems like something is weird about its legs and head...Maybe not. I'm not the artistic one, so I wouldn't know.
  4. Clawed Nyasu

Clawed Nyasu

Hmm, I can sort of see what Penguino means, (or at least, I think I do.) The left head (our left) is higher above the left leg than the right head is over the right leg
  5. Xellos

Xellos

It looks great, I wouldn't worry! This pose is beautiful too! ^_^ Perhaps keep the other color scheme as an alternate/shiny version.
    @CyzirVisheen:The new pose is much better. You can now tell where all the limbs are, and what is supposed to be a limb and what isn't. Yours is another great design! ^_^
  6. spaceman.

spaceman.

Hey. This one is thought to look more like 1st gen. It was made in paint because I haven't got anything better for now, but I guess I can make it look better.

[​IMG]
  7. AgentLym

AgentLym

Definitely not bad for Paint, but if you need something better, try GIMP! Just a suggestion! It's free and psuedo-Photoshop, so... yeah, pretty cool! But to your CAP, I don't really like the color scheme... But that's just me. :P

And, Cyzir, much better! Although, I still LOVE Zant's!
  8. m190049

m190049

FINAL SUBMISSION

Just finished GIMPing this guy:
    Going to keep making edits, but this pic seems to meet my minimum standard...
    So I'm going to make this my Final Submission post. I'll continue editing the post with updated images...
    But I'm making this here just to guarantee a spot in case I'm not 100% happy before the deadline.

In the mean time, any comments?
    Haven't gotten much crit so far...
    Any comments are appreciated.

(Yes I know the line art is terrible. Fixing it now...)
    So anyway, here's the stuff for the quote:

Main Design
    [​IMG]

Supporting Material
    Images
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Design Basis
    In all simplicity, the main idea was something of a "wingless-wyvern." The coils around it's tail were edited form Tesla Coils. They don't in the above picture (to be added if there is time- can be seen in original drawing), but they normally have green electricity radiating through them. It has one metal ball at the tip of it's tail, which creates pulses that travel down the tail that let it shoot out electric attacks. The coils are also multi-purpose. They can do plenty of things, to emiting moth scales (*coughsheilddustcough*), scan opponents with weaker sparks (*coughtracecogh*), let the dragon elecrify itself (*coughstaticcough*) or something else of the sort.... *Cough*
    ...WHAT.
    [​IMG]
  9. pkmn-taicho321

pkmn-taicho321

@spaceman. : You sure picked an odd time to come into to race. Better tag that post with Final Submission or you're not going to have any chance to get into the polls! About your design you've got an interesting idea, sorta taking a page out of altiara's book and going with a bird-like look. I don't dislike it, but I do agree with AgentLym. Play around with the colors. Try making that yellow not so... yellow. Seriously it's bright enough to burn out someone's eyes. And Purple is a nice color but I'm thinking an orange or blue gray might work better. If you don't know try every color combination you can think of and get some opinions.

@M190049: I don't like the... gills. Despite the color scheme I can't help but think fish. Same goes for the fins. They are just not necessary. Shedding of unnecessary clutter from a design makes it look dragon like

@Czyir: Your design is great but I think you need to move the tail up and put it at abit of an angle. Quadropeds use their tails for balance. The way the tail is now makes it look subtly off balance. Just nitpicking though.
  10. spaceman.

spaceman.

OK, I fixed the colors. Now that I think about it, it looked terrible. I like the grey one more than the others. By the way what's that Final Submission thing? Sorry, but I looked around the forum and the rules and I couldn't find it...
    http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9486/electricc.png
  11. pkmn-taicho321

pkmn-taicho321

so Cyberzero knows that your all finished with you design you must type Final Submission (bold, like I have it) somewhere in you post. It's getting down to crunch time so most artists that aren';t done make a Final Submission post just to be safe. BTW I like the Gray-Blue.
  12. Wizwum

Wizwum

aragornbird, that looks amazing. I can't wait to see it coloured! I really hope you get it submitted on time, because that thing is going to be a big contender.
  13. ch00blet

ch00blet

If you don't like doing quadrupeds, why don't you just turn him into a biped?

Also, make sure you have a clear outline when you submit your final submission.

It's a nice concept and great artwork, well done.
  14. choice sombrero

choice sombrero

Gooey kablooie, thats amazing! your design is so underrated IMHO. I love how you gave a explanation for shield dust.

Zantomonius, Thats awesome too! Sure it looks a little steelish, But i love it!
  15. Marrow Whack

Marrow Whack

Final Submission

I realise that I probably should have posted this earlier, but anyway I'm making it my final submission now rather than leaving it to be commented on and then assuming I can come back later, edit it if necessary and still make my final submission before the deadline. (I apologise if it's considered rude to leave it this late...) So, here's my design:

Main Design

[​IMG]

Supporting Material
    Design Basis
    It's a sort of kangaroo-dragon with tiny little arms that aren't too good for physical attacks. It uses its tail to release electricity for special attacks, however. The wings are essentially decorative (perhaps a remnant of a smaller, speedier Pokémon a few million years back on the evolution line) and it can't fly, but it can use its powerful hind legs to bounce like a kangaroo.
  16. Buffalo_Wings

Buffalo_Wings Abnormally Cruel
    is an Artist Alumnus

Final Submission

[​IMG]

Explanation regarding abilities and stat spread:
    The green skin on its body and mouth connected like a circuit act as capacitors, building up charge to act as a launch pad for special attacks, and also creating static electricity (static) which it uses to attract and control dust (shield dust) and makes its coat stand on end in sharp spikes. It's natural bulk and blubber allow it to absorb attacks with relative ease, however it's large size slows it down.

Supporting material:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4281/wyvoltcapsupport2.jpg
    http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2200/capfinallineart.jpg

Hope you guys like my final version! I feel like it's kinda let down by the colouring, and im not sure what the general opinion on the circuit design will be (although i like it).
  17. CyzirVisheen

CyzirVisheen Am I poplar yet?
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Well I would, but it feels more natural to have it being a quadruped rather than a biped. Some depictions of the hydra are bipedal sure, but I prefer it having 4 legs. (Despite how much I dislike drawing them x_x)
    Well, I can make the thunder outlines darker but I doubt I'm changing it (or have enough time to...). After all, there IS already a clear outline for the yellow lightning parts. I made it a dark yellow orange color, which I felt was dark enough to distinguish the electricity without making it too dark. It's an effect also used by Rotom and Moltres' flames. It gives it a certain 'feel' solid black lines can't. Thanks though, I'll try and see if I can muster up a darker outline later today...
  18. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Your outlines look fine, Cyzir.

To all artists -- The outline rule was put in place to ensure that artists submit colored lineart (i.e. cartooning), not paintings. Cyzir's work is obviously lineart, and has a clearly distinguishable outline on all elements.
  19. Kaxtar

Kaxtar

I really love yours, Doug. You get my vote for sure.
  20. Virtuoso

Virtuoso

Oh F yeah!
    Sexy as hell.
    And the circuit design looks great.
    This, Cartoons, and Zanti = TOP 3
  21. O_HAI!

O_HAI!

Tons of great designs in here. Doug's still got my vote. When is the poll going to be up?
  22. Jion628

Jion628

I vote for Zantimonius, but only because I'm a sucker for all things robotic-looking. And because I don't really like cute.
  23. cyberzero

cyberzero
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Submissions are now closed. The poll will be up momentarily.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)