Status
Not open for further replies.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
CAP8 so far:
Elevator Music said:
Name: Neglected Ability

Description: This pokemon will have an ability [or two] that is currently undervalued (but possibly very helpful) in the metagame but isn't used because the other pokemon with this ability don't have the stats or movepool to make it work.
Type: Electric/Dragon

A "Final Art Submission" will consist of two things - a "Main Design" and "Supporting Material". A Main Design is the only required element of a Final Art Submission, Supporting Material is optional.

Main Design
The Main Design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing ingame pokemon. The Main Design is the definitive design for a given pokemon and should be suitable for display in the CAP Pokedex section of the upcoming CAP Website, and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the pokemon is needed. As such, the design should be "plain" -- a basic rendering of the pokemon itself, with no extra frills or artistic embellishment. The comparison to "Official Pokemon Art" is only applicable to the basic content of the Main Design; it does not imply ANY standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.

The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • It must be a single pose of a single pokemon. No other pokemon can be included. Only one pose rendering is allowed in the picture.

• It must consist of the pokemon on a plain white background. No additional background detail or settings may be included. No additional background colors or patterns are allowed.

• No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the pokemon. If a prop is part of the pokemon's basic design (ie Farfetch'd Stick), then it is acceptable. A basic rule of thumb is -- anything that would not be appropriate in a game sprite, should not be included in the Main Design.

• Any 2D full color digital or traditional media may be used, so long as it contains a distinguishable outline on the subject in contrast to the background. 3D media are not allowed.

• It must be no larger than 800x800, no smaller than 320x240, and must be in a compressed digital format. Uncompressed bitmaps and/or high-resolution images are not allowed.

• It must be a digital rendering or a scan of a traditional drawing. No camera pictures are allowed.

• It must be an original artwork by the person making the submission. Lifts, swipes, copies, or alterations of other artists' work are not allowed.
Supporting Material
While the rules for the Main Design are somewhat rigid -- there are almost no rules when it comes to Supporting Material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other pokemon, animations, sculptures, cartoon strips -- anything goes! Also non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc.

All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way. This rule is intended to prevent artists from posting unrelated art, in an effort to gain more attention or promote other designs or artworks.

Final Submission Post
All artists must make a Final Submission Post in order to be considered for the Art Poll. The post must be titled "Final Submission". The post should have the Main Design at the top, and Supporting Material (if applicable) below it. All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150x150. Do not include full images of supporting art in the Final Submission.

Only make ONE Final Submission Post. If you wish to change your Final Submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any delete + repost will be treated as bumping, and subject to moderation.

General Posting Rules
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork, in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion. But, it must be related to an original art design by the poster.

• No post can contain more than 800x800 pixels of included art. If an artist wishes to post art in excess of the 800x600 limit, they should post links to the additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150x150.

• All posted art must be in a compressed digital format. Uncompressed bitmaps or high-resolution images will be deleted.

• No art submissions should be modified by others without the explicit permission of the original artists.

• Using other submissions as "inspiration" for an original artwork is allowed. However, "stealing" of designs is prohibited.

• Do not post to state your intended design. Such posts are a weak attempt to "reserve" an idea, and serve no constructive purpose. If you aren't going to post an actual design, then don't tell us that you are "working on it".

• No bumping or begging. If your design received little attention or commentary, don't bump it. Even worse, don't make a post begging for feedback. There are PLENTY of eyes viewing every post in the thread. If your design is any good, people WILL comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design isn't very good. The silence IS the feedback. Take the hint.

• No posting of design ideas in search of an artist. This is an art submission thread, not an idea submission thread. If you can't draw, then don't post your idea. If you really want to see your idea submitted, then commission an artist and ask them to post it. But don't solicit artists here.

• No posting of art or pictures intended to "give ideas" to artists to draw a design. This includes pictures of real life animals, character artwork from other games, or even Pokemon artwork. It spams up the thread and detracts from the original art submissions. It is acceptable for artists making a submission to post their inspirational references as part of their Supporting Material.

• Do not declare any artwork as "the winner", "is clearly going to win", or similar. It's fine to post praise or support for an artwork, but don't make a statement of fact indicating the results of a poll that has not been conducted. Such posts are premature and insulting to all the other competing artists.

• Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted. I don't care if it is "just your opinion" -- it's a bullshit comment. It indicates the existence of an official published Pokemon artistic style guide. Such a guide does not exist, so don't act like you've read it. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine -- but don't imply the existence of defined Pokemon style rules as "reasoning" for your opinion.

• Do not post that a design "looks like a Digimon". It's a cheap shot, and you know it. See rule above.

• Do not post questions asking for help in making a submission. If you don't know how to draw, ink, color, scan, save, compress, crop, thumbnail, or link an artwork -- don't ask for help here. This isn't a tutorial thread. By the way -- Google is your friend.
Art Polls
All art polls will contain the Main Design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists Final Submission Post. If the Final Submission contains no significant Supporting Material, then no link will be included in the poll below the Main Design.

Art submissions for the art poll will be selected by the Topic Leader, based on preference and feedback in this thread. There is no process for overturning the Topic Leader's decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make an art submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

I *really* like that submission, pkmntaicho321. The right arm seems a little awkward, but it's a solid piece overall.

Wyverii's is another one I like, that hasn't been posted here yet. It's a toss up for me.

I *really* like that submission, pkmntaicho321. The right arm seems a little awkward, but it's a solid piece overall.

Wyverii's is another one I like, that hasn't been posted here yet. It's a toss up for me.
As soon as it's finished I also have an animation to post of CAP8 using thunder punch

@DarthVader317: I don't see a dragon in your design. To me it justs looks like a mono electric, and the only thing that seperates it from jolteon is the stripes.

First draft of my design. Colour scheme is still up in the air and general traits may be changed depending on ability and bias later on. The hair down its back is charged with static and forms wings.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus

Two ideas: The first one is more cool, the second is cute.

Both have "electric crest"... I'm working in both concepts.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wyverii and Cadabolg's are the best so far, I don't see much competition right now, but its early

First draft of my design. Colour scheme is still up in the air and general traits may be changed depending on ability and bias later on. The hair down its back is charged with static and forms wings.
Your submission is my favorite so far =D....But as I said on the server OVER9000 times, try Yellow/Blue Colour scheme :)

@Princess_power I don't really see the electric...
@Caladbolg The first one looks very good, the second one looks like charmander.
@Wyverii Good but, I think a red-yellow color scheme would look better. Not sure though.
@pkmn-taicho321 Amazing, maybe move the arm forward? Not that it really matters but, it will look better when the polls come around I think.

I kind of want this thing to be smallish, like Jolteon and Breloom, no need for a huge long, scary dragon.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Caladbolg's second design is really cute, I like it alot. There isn't a cute CAP yet, let's make it this one!
Hey Thanks! I noticed in CAP 7 Art Poll that many people wanted a cute capmon. So I'll try to do that. But, with Electric/Dragon type everyone want to see a "awesome dragon"...

I kind of want this thing to be smallish, like Jolteon and Breloom, no need for a huge long, scary dragon.
I think alot of people are looking for this thing to be defsive though which wouldn't really suit a small pokemon that well (With the exceptions of Umbreon and Vap)

joshe

the best
i love pkmn-tachio's poke. It looks so cool, and it looks like it'll be able to abuse a wide range of abilities. Can't wait to see it finished!!!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
No, not everyone does. I'd actually like to see something a bit "cuter" this time around. Dragons are portrayed as whimsical a lot of times (like Dragonite). For once can we have a CAP that's not all fangs, claws, and spikes?

No, not everyone does. I'd actually like to see something a bit "cuter" this time around. Dragons are portrayed as whimsical a lot of times (like Dragonite). For once can we have a CAP that's not all fangs, claws, and spikes?
I just meant something that isn't frail looking. things can be "cute" without looking as if they are going to be blown away with the slighest breeze.

Like Faerie Dragons from Warcraft! Yeah.

FTR however, Wyverii's is awesome, and if that's the baseline, then this is going to be another great CAP for art. :D

I like this guy.

CAP 1 = Arctic Scyther
CAP 2 = Undead Spirit
CAP 3 = Megaman Lizard form
CAP 4 = Diglet + Drill + Hands (Lots of em)
CAP 5 = Sickley Rock
CAP 6 = PIRATE WITH BOXING GLOVES
CAP 7 = Bleachmon

Which of those sounds cute to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)