CAP 8 CAP 8 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Anti-Stall Pokemon

General Description: A pokemon that hinders stall, whether through not resilience towards residual damage (like Bronzong or Clefable) or being able to threaten common stall team members

Justification: This concept should help us to learn about stall; how in normal OU play one could go about introducing stall-breaking elements into their play as well as knowing what aspects of a pokemon threaten to disrupt stall teams should you run one yourself

Explanation: Stall is one of my favourite methods of play and a very interesting one at that and this concept has much scope; we could create an ultimate pursuiter for instance to terrorise Rotom, Blissey etc or create an Infernape like sweeper or have a taunt/magic guard set up sweeper that requires you to have strong attacks to deter. I also think that stall on CAP is unbalanced compared to offense when there are pokemon like Revenankh, Arghonaut and Fidgit that provide the complete core of a stall team.

Here's a concept I've been thinking of for a while:

Name:
True Steel Counter
General Description: A pokemon that can come in on a variety of steel types, and counter it, either by forcing said steel pokemon out, rendering it useless (eg. trapping and paralysing), or KOing it.
Justification: The metagame is dominated by steel types. By having a true counter (similar to Arghonaut 'the decentralizer) to steels, it would allow one to counter the steel threats in the metagame that have gone relatively unchecked for so long. This concept would hopefully have a positive effect on the metagame because this would in turn allow the pokemon that are countered by the said steels to step in, and so on. It would also help us to learn about the metagame without the usual influence from many top-tier pokemon.
Explanation:
MAR 2009 CAP USAGE
Battles: 993
+------+------------+--------+---------+
| Rank | Name | Usage | Percent |
| 1 | Metagross | 565 | 28.45 |
| 2 | Latias | 556 | 28.00 |
| 3 | Scizor | 537 | 27.04 |
| 4 | Salamence | 441 | 22.21 |
| 5 | Jirachi | 417 | 21.00 |
| 6 | Starmie | 388 | 19.54 |
| 7 | Tyranitar | 387 | 19.49 |
| 8 | Heatran | 358 | 18.03 |
| 9 | Infernape | 330 | 16.62 |
| 10 | Zapdos | 316 | 15.91 |
(Sorry about the bad formatting but its copied directly - hopefully you get the idea)
Steel types come in at 1, 3, 5, and 8 - 3 of the top 5 and 4 of the top 10 - CAP8 should probably at least be able to counter 2 or 3 of these. The challenge for the community here is how it would counter them. Typing? Ability? (Think Magnezone) A certain move? A combination of the three? There are so many possibilities.

This took so long, I goddamn hope it isnt illegal.
Discuss and flame away.

I like IceBugs Concept: Bad, but in a Good Way, and wanted more people to notice it.

I think it could be really fun and it would force us to think outside the box.

Name: Overspecialized Counter
General Description: A pokemon who counters one or two of the top pokemon of the CAP server, so much so that it simply existing causes a huge dent in the specific pokemon's useage; it can simply switch in and forces its opponent to switch out. However, the pokemon itself is lackluster and can be wiped out by many of the lesser used pokemon.
Justification: If a 'good' pokemon is suddenly up against a brickwall, something which beats it no matter what, is that pokemon abandoned by the metagame or do people rearrange their teams in order to MAKE the pokemon work? Additionally, if a pokemon is removed from the complex Paper Scissors Rock of the metagame artificially, how is the rest of the metagame affected? Do those who were previously countered by the pokemon become all powerful? Or are other pokemon dredged from lower tiers to take them out?
Explanation: Yes, I know it sounds a little like Arghonaut's concept, but there's a big difference. Arghonaut was to counter most of the top 10. This concept is made to simply counter one or two pokemon, but counter them incredibly well. So well that they're pushed out of the picture somewhat. Let's say we choose Heatran and Metagross to be countered and we create a ground/psychic with thick fat, who has high enough defensive stats to withstand their attacks easily, whilst hitting back with CS earth power so hard that it 1HKOs Heatran and seriously dents Metagross. However, this pokemon lacks the speed to take on Jirachii or Kitsunoh (though still being faster than the two in question) and variety in its moves so when its out and one of the two aren't out, it becomes set up fodder for a variety of guys. What happens to the metagame? Does Scizor become rampant? Are the two steels kept in play simply to counter those who they countered before? Is someone brought from UU to replace them? Speculation could only go so far.

Name: Stat-Up Stealer

General Description: A pokemon, that when switching in, copies all forms of stat changes. For example, if an SD Lucario gets +4 attack, and proceeds to wreck your team, you switch this in, and poof, you have your own sweeper. This pokemon shouldn't be a wall, not trying to help stall, and having 'naut do that better, but a fast, frail pokemon to help comebacks if your losing.

Justification: This will help balanced teams who don't have the defenses to stop most sweepers, and it will force players to be more thoughtful when planning/executing a sweep. This could also be a decentralizer, making so that you don't need a specific counter to specific pokemon.

Explanation: Balanced teams have a hard time finding a way to stop threats once they get boosted, and if you're not running straight stall, then it gets very hard to stop pokemon like SD Scizor or DD Salamence. This pokemon wont hurt offensive teams that much, because it doesn't stop Life Orbers or Choice anythings, and is frail enough to be taken out easily by those threats. All in all, a very balanced poke to make a more balanced metagame.

DougJustDoug Comment: Your justification does not indicate how the concept affects the metagame as a whole. It's just more explanation about the concept. Fix it, or this concept will be deleted.

Name: Viable Gimmick'Mon
General Description: A Pokemon that can use a gimmicky attack/ability to great effect.

Justification: Most pokemon can be dealt with by sending out a pokemon that has a SE move against, resists the opponent's standard moveset, or a pokemon that has the stats to deal with it. This would put a wrench in those plans. What if the type of the opponent's move is randomized? Good luck resisting that! What if the pokemon can't be affected by damaging moves? Good luck taking it down with a Gyarados! It should force the opponent to think and deal with Gimmickmon in a different way from the usual "send out a stronger pokemon". I would say that this concept fills a niche AND would help with the mild stagnance of the current metagame.

Explanation: OK. During CAP6? I think it was, I posted an idea for a transforming pokemon. This is a broader version of that.
There are a LOT of gimmicky pokemon/attacks, but none of them get used much in competitive play (Shedinja, Ditto, Metronome, etc.). I want pokemon like that to get used more, because they're fun and unique pokemon, that fill a niche that no other pokemon can fill. I like the way they force the other team to kind of regroup and try a different strategy (Sweeping with Waterfall is slightly less effective against Shedinja, don't send out dragon pokemon with dragon attacks against Ditto, etc.), and there effectiviness relys a lot on the opponent, or on just plain luck (metronome). It would really boil down to giving a pokemon a new attack or ability, or giving it an old one, and changing it's stats/typing to make it more effective. (Dark/Ghost Wonder Guard O.o?)

I think that we would end up with a pokemon that is very fun to play with, and a challenge to deal with.

Name: Physical Cleric

General Description: A pokemon that can provide healing or anti-status support while being able to deal and take a physical hit.

Justification: Most, if not all, of our Clerics only use Special Attacks (not including Blissey's Seismic Toss). A Cleric that can deal a decent Physical attack may give us more room for creativity in terms of our other 5 pokemon.

Explanation: I pretty much summed up everything in the General Description. It should have decent Physical Attack and Defense stats, and healing moves like Wish and Heal Bell. A typing that allows it to switch in on a majority of the common physical attacks would be nice, as well.

Name: Switch-in Sweeper
General Description: A sweeper that through means of resistances, immunities, abilities, or stats that can switch into an oncoming attack.
Justification: When exploring the metagame, people often come up with ideas of something completely different. But adding something like a sweeper, you can see the affects it has on the metagame, how much it centralizes it, does it affect the common team. While it may seem like we’re heading a step backwards by “simplifying” things, it gives us a good question. How much can one sweeper affect the metagame.
Explanation: As I said, we’ve really been almost overcomplicating things in recent CAPs, pokemon that have been put in place for the metagame to develop in X way. Hell, we’ve even gone so far as to making a pokemon to counter the pokemon that are in this metagame.. I just think it’d be interesting to see if we can go a step backwards, and it also gives us one thing. Freedom in what we can do with it.

Name: Status abuser

General Description: A support pokemon that specializes in inflicting status on the opponent.

Justification: It seems like toxic spikes are everywhere in the CAP metagame, so if you don't want to do that, why not inflict status on everything else on the opponent's team? This pokemon could help put a greater emphasis on status moves, as well as bring out some more clerics and would help us explore how effective status really can be (as well as how to fight against it). The range of status moves this CAP would get would also encourage prediction on both ends and aim to support the team rather than be a one trick pony and be sacrificed after.

Explanation: As you can probably guess, this pokemon would specialize in the status inflicting moves. What I'm thinking is that this CAP would have most, if not all, the status moves in the game (or at least able to inflict all of the different status conditions), thus allowing for a really big diversity and surprise factor, as your opponent you have no idea what to bring in to block. Attention would have to be paid to make sure this CAP would also be able to either take advantage of a "status blocking" pokemon (like a paralyzed swampert, for instance) or be able to get out fast in order to come in again.

I'm going to throw this around again (and trying to be a bit more active on this CAP, seeing I pretty much only lurked upon CAP 6-7). Last time got a bit of popularity, so why not?

Name: Kingdra in the Snow

General Description: A pokémon with good but not excellent sweeping potential which, under Hail conditions, can become definitely a threatening attacking force.

Justification: Let's face it. The only viable way to run hail in OU is through stall. Things like Glaceon, Syclant, Weavile and so on, can't give to said teams the sweeping edge. They are quite unviable in OU (Glaceon), better off sweeping in a non-Hail team which can support them better (Syclant), or do not benefit from hail at all for sweeping purposes aside from breaking Focus Sashes(Weavile).

While a single Pokémon can't all of a sudden completely change a strategy, we all know that Rain Offense would not be all that threatening without Kingdra in the equation (heck, whenever you see a Rain Dance setup you can almost bet that there's a Kingdra waiting in the wings!).

So, I'd say that it would have a positive effect on the metagame. It would give Hail a chance to stray a bit from stall by putting it on the offensive, and could give to a low-used weather effect a tool to shine a bit in the OU environment.

Explanation: Of course, Hail itself help little in the way of offense, aside from the damage itself and Blizzard accuracy boost. So, This Pokémon will need:
1) A proper typing. Ice/(Rock resistant type) is the most probable, but going for something non-Ice is a possibility.
2) A good ability. Probably a custom ability, since the current Hail-related abilities do not help sweeping directly. This ability would also nullify Hail damage in case CAP8 does not turn to be an Ice Pokémon (like Cacturne's case)

BTW, I like both DK and Plus/Mag concepts. No problem if they make it.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Justification: Let's face it. The only viable way to run stall in OU is through stall. Things like Glaceon, Syclant, Weavile and so on, can't give to said teams the sweeping edge since they are quite unviable in OU (Glaceon), they are better off sweeping in a non-Hail team which can support them better (Syclant), or do not benefit from hail at all for sweeping purposes aside from breaking Focus Sashes(Weavile).
Huh? "The only way to run stall is through stall"? What does that mean? And I can't make heads or tails of that massive run-on sentence after that. Please rewrite this in a coherent way.

Name: No more Stealth Rock
General Description: A pokemon that, once it is in play, is almost guaranteed to get rid of Stealth Rock, but not necessarily other entry hazards.

Justification: As we all know, Stealth Rock has the power to remove between 3% and 50% of a pokemon's health when it comes in (unless that pokemon is Syclant or Clefable). This often turns what would normally be a 2HKO into an OHKO, so it is small wonder that Stealth Rock is pretty much a staple on teams these days. With the number of ghosts running amok in the metagame, getting rid of Stealth Rock can be extremely difficult. Therefore, set-uppers of SR can just be suicide leads that don't have to worry about setting up again because Rapid Spin is blocked by ghosts that have the power to withstand the usual moves that the spinner packs.

So, I put it to you that if we create a pokemon that makes getting rid of Stealth Rock considerably easier, players who tend to treat SR as a pseudo "win button" will have to think twice about how they use SR. Suddenly the SR suicide lead won't become quite so useful, and people will have to think about whether setting up SR to have it disappear just a few turns later will actually be worth it.

Explanation: There are three ways in which this can be achieved:
1. A rapid spinner that has the capability of taking on the ghosts in the CAP metagame.
2. A rapid spin-like move with a different type with nothing immune to it.
3. An ability that gets rid of SR when the pokemon comes in, like how non-levitating poison-types remove toxic spikes when they come in.
I'm in favour of the first option myself but I have added the other options to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Name: Anti-Trick
General Description: A Pokemon whose purpose is to reduce the use of Trick via Ability or item abuse.
Justification: Trick, from what I can see, has become a very important Move to be aware of in game. Having your support or stall pokemon rendered completely unusable is putting you at a supreme disadvantage. With this Pokemon, sheilding your team from the chaos of Trick will be easier, while not totally obliterating the Trick strategy. I think this rather gimmicky tactic would introduce a new niche in the metagame.
Explanation: The pokemon itself will need a very unique "Anti-Trick" aura about it at first glance. The Ability would most likely be Sticky Hold, which would set things in stone. Then it would need the Typing that resists most Trick users other Attacks, quite possibly Dark or Steel.
Of course, the overall strategy of this Pokemon would be most likely excellent prediction. Trick wouldn't instantly become yesterday's news, since the whole idea behind Trick is that you're not supposed to expect it.

Name: speed is not a factor

General Description: a poke who has a variety of both possitive and negative priority moves to allow itself to deal with various situations.

Justification: priority moves have become a staple of some pokes' strategy, both offensively and to counter enemies. this will also allow us to look at how much of a pokes usefulness may be found in it's movepool rather than just purely through it's stats.

Explanation: bullet punch, fake out, extreme speed, roar, mach punch, ice shards, counter, revenge, avalache, magic coat, sucker punch, focus punch... these are just some moves with various priority moves that have the possibility to influence a match, but we never think of them outside of "positive priority is good, negative priority has to have a useful effect". i want us to look outside the box into figuring out what makes them good, how good are they, and how they all function together.
the title i gave this concept is rather misleading since speed WILL be a factor in order to counter act other priority users and b/c it is impossible to make this poke's entire moveset just priority moves.

@fuzznip- ...aftermath...

Huh? "The only way to run stall is through stall"? What does that mean? And I can't make heads or tails of that massive run-on sentence after that. Please rewrite this in a coherent way.
I meant " the only way to run hail... is through stall"... I'll rewrite it sorry...

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
Concept: Free Entry Hard-Hitter
Description: A Pokemon that can get on the field free of harm and can utilize some powerful, but often neglected moves to dish out heavy damage.

Justification: We often times overlook Pokemon because of their typing and how bad they are afflicted by Stealth Rock on the switch. Prime examples include Charizard and Moltres, whose usage dropped twentifold with the discovery of Stealth Rock. If we eliminate this Pokemon's ability to take non-battle damage, we could bring some usage to neglected moves such as Reversal and recoil moves.
Explanation: This Pokemon would take full advantage of its ability. Whether being a scout who is constantly re-entering the field or a sweeper, who desperately needs all the health it can get. I'd like to push this CAP to its fullest potential. Why not make it the only usable Fire-Flying type? I envision this Pokemon with Magic Guard, which would accomplish all of the following:
-Complement what we now consider horrible typing (due to SR weakness) as well as immunity other entry hazards and residual damage
-Viable Reversaler
-STAB recoil abuser
Now, this Pokemon should not be too powerful, I was thinking something along the build of Dugtrio- high Speed, mediocre offesnses, and disappointing defenses. Similar to Tyranitar and Ambipom, all of its power comes from its ability combined with STAB.

@dragonites

If we eliminate this Pokemon's ability to take non-battle damage [...] Similar to Tyranitar and Ambipom, all of its power comes from its ability combined with STAB.
CAP has already eliminated a Pokemon's ability to take entry hazard damage with Mountaineer, and Magic Guard's rarity makes it unique - if it's handed out to more pokemon, it will be devalued completely. Also, have you looked at Ttars base stats? All of it's power does not come from it's ability and STAB.

So far I like Joatmon's becaue I think that it would positively affect the metagame by forcing you to think more not only of the pokemon currently on the field but also of what might lurk in the wings, Plus's because I've never heard anything like it, although it might be hard to do, Fenix because I hate lead abuse, IceBug's again because i vbmenu_register("postmenu_1854734", true);'s vbmenu_register("postmenu_1854677", true);t's unique and could be fun, as well as making the metagame more varied, and Lightning Storm's for similar reasons. Such decisions!

I'm hoping to submit my own concept soon, but only if I can think of a really good one!

I was going to propose KnightofTheWind’s antibiotic concept pretty much word-for-word (although I was going to call it Status-Absorbing Sponge.) Although I would also mention Marvel Scale and Quick Feet amongst the possible abilities.

I also like DeckKnight’s Parabusing tank, and Gir!’s The Giant Trap, although I would double my support if he called it “It’s A Trap!”

Name: The Monkey Wrench Arsenal

Description: A pokemon capable of using a wide range of offensive utility moves, like Heal Block, Snatch, Worry Seed ect., as well as potentially using weaker offensive moves with uncommon effects, such as multi hit moves or trapping attack moves.

Justification: Defensive support and utility moves, like wish, entry hazards, the screens ect., having always been fairly common because of their consistancy and usefulness in almost any team build.

However disruption utility moves, outside the status effects and one or two exceptions, are rarely used because of their highly situational nature. This is a fairly untapped area of strategy we can explore and a niche that doesnt seem to have any current pokemon filling.

Explanation: Fidgit is arguably one of CAPS most succesful pokemon. Providing an extremly flexible utility pokemon. However I think its one failing is how its defensive suppor movepool and ability has completly overshadowed its more offensive natured ability and support moves.

I think creating an offensive support equivalent to fidgit would be an excellent addition to the game.

I'm going to throw this around again (and trying to be a bit more active on this CAP, seeing I pretty much only lurked upon CAP 6-7). Last time got a bit of popularity, so why not?

Name: Kingdra in the Snow

General Description: A pokémon with good but not excellent sweeping potential which, under Hail conditions, can become definitely a threatening attacking force.

Justification: Let's face it. The only viable way to run hail in OU is through stall. Things like Glaceon, Syclant, Weavile and so on, can't give to said teams the sweeping edge. They are quite unviable in OU (Glaceon), better off sweeping in a non-Hail team which can support them better (Syclant), or do not benefit from hail at all for sweeping purposes aside from breaking Focus Sashes(Weavile).

While a single Pokémon can't all of a sudden completely change a strategy, we all know that Rain Offense would not be all that threatening without Kingdra in the equation (heck, whenever you see a Rain Dance setup you can almost bet that there's a Kingdra waiting in the wings!).

So, I'd say that it would have a positive effect on the metagame. It would give Hail a chance to stray a bit from stall by putting it on the offensive, and could give to a low-used weather effect a tool to shine a bit in the OU environment.

Explanation: Of course, Hail itself help little in the way of offense, aside from the damage itself and Blizzard accuracy boost. So, This Pokémon will need:
1) A proper typing. Ice/(Rock resistant type) is the most probable, but going for something non-Ice is a possibility.
2) A good ability. Probably a custom ability, since the current Hail-related abilities do not help sweeping directly. This ability would also nullify Hail damage in case CAP8 does not turn to be an Ice Pokémon (like Cacturne's case)

BTW, I like both DK and Plus/Mag concepts. No problem if they make it.
Ah ha! Had I not just had a doctor's appointment this would have been my post. But well worded zarator and good to see you again.

I am definitely supporting Hail Sweeper. I like the fact that it would be a new niche (the closest thing to a hail sweeper is Glaceon) a new dominant weather (hail has always been a niche usage) and would likely shift usage figures around Alot. It would also see hail used in a completely different way since hail teams have no choice but to be used for stall.

The best thing about this concept is that even though everyone can envisage the resulting CAP, no one can be prepared for how much the metagame would change during the playtesting of IceCAP!

- Customization through Items
That introduces new game mechanics, which won't be done. That also doesn't define a template for a pokemon, rather than basing the whole process around "what will each item do." There's no direction for the idea to travel such as "what typing would be most beneficial." It's unreasonably complicated as well. The effort is appreciated, but CAP's goal isn't JUST to make new pokemon that do crazy things.

Concept: "Wall of Sand"

Description: Normally, this pokemon should be an average/decent wall that becomes a much better special wall while in the sand

Justification: Although we see some sandstorm teams in the metagame, and sand streamers like hippowdon and ttar are common, in addition the fact that there are also many physically bulky pokemon like swampert and hippowdon that are immune to sand in the metagame, their are few specially built sandstormers. I think it would be good if the metagame had a special sand wall to add some popularity to using sandstorm teams.

Explanation: Typing doesn't really matter, but its preferable if it resisted grass knot/surf while also being immune to sand. Ability should probably be sand stream or sand veil but there are other abilities that would fit this pokemon's role. Since steel, rock, and ground pokes are immune to sandstorm, the art could really be anything related to the desert or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)