1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 10 - Name Poll 5

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by cyberzero, May 15, 2009.

?

What should CAP 8's name be?

1. Cyclohm

54.4%
  2. Atmosfere

45.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyberzero

cyberzero
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I'm back, so I'll be in charge of CAP 8 for the remainder of the project. A huge thanks to CyzirVisheen for taking over on such short notice and for doing such a great job!

Our Pokemon so far:

[​IMG]

Type: Electric / Dragon
    Style Bias: Somewhat Defensive
    Build Bias: Mixed, possibly Special
    Ability: Shield Dust/Static
    Stats: 108 HP/60 Atk/118 Def/112 Sp Atk/70 Sp Def/80 Spe

This will be a clicky poll. Select one of the following options:

Cyclohm
    Atmosfere
  2. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

Just posting to say this:

If Atmosfere wins, it better be changed to Atmosfear or Atmosphere.

No matter what, at least it won't be as bad as CAP7!
  3. Hohahihehu

Hohahihehu

Cyclohm all the way! I can't believe it made it to the final round... I feel happy :)
    And I agree with Billy, it can't be worse than Kitsunoh. Japanese =/= Win people.
  4. petrie911

petrie911

Atmosfear, definitely. Atmosphere is just a rather boring word.

Which means it should be obvious who I voted for.

And I kind of like Kitsunoh. I didn't at first, but it grew on me. Arghonaut, on the other hand...bleh.
  5. Gir!

Gir!

Go,go Cyclohm! Seriously, Atmosfere doesnt even sound halfway as cool as Cyclohm does, no offense Thorns, I respect you, but I just didnt like the name
  6. Thorns

Thorns

Not much more to say here. I guess Atmosfere is a great name because it directly relates to the Pokemon's cloud body!

Vote Atmosfere please!
  7. KnightoftheWind

KnightoftheWind
    is a Past WCoP Winner

RIP Nimbus :( Enough of that, I voted for Atmosfere.
  8. Son_of_Shadoo

Son_of_Shadoo

Atmosfere is just a bad misspelling. Cyclohm is clever, and really shows what this CAP is. Vote Cyclohm!
  9. StevyB

StevyB

Cyclohm is the way to go, it actually makes scene. (kind of)
  10. Joatmon

Joatmon

Seeing as Nimbus is gone, I voted Atmosfere. I actually do not mind the spelling of it at all; I don't know why some of you guys would want to change it.
  11. Namso

Namso
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Another poll? Ahhh! Cyclohm still has it though, Atmosfere is just too... not good.
  12. ParadOxymoron

ParadOxymoron

Atmosfere all the way. (Incidentally, Atmosfeare would be my most-preferred spelling.)

Cyclohm is not a good name. It doesn't look pleasing, it's not fun to say, it rolls off the tongue, it doesn't sound particularly wonderful, and it sounds more like a pure-Flying type than an Electric/Dragon anyway. An elaboration on my arguments against it can be found here.
  13. Thorns

Thorns

The main argument against Atmosfere is 'it's a bad mispelling.'. Guys, you don't have to justify your vote. If you like Cyclohm, that's cool. Don't make yourself look stupid in the process. I really want to pull out the Jynx and Fidgit card here.

Same with the Atmosfere supporters. I like it that you're encouraging people to vote for the obviously superior name, but use good reasoning!
  14. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Both look like really poor spelling to me, however I went with Atmosfere. Hopefully we will be able to change the spelling and make it Atmosfear, which already seems more eye appealing.
  15. Gregar

Gregar

I went with Atmosfere, it's way easier to pronounce and rolls right of the tongue, where as cyclohm doesn't sound very natural.

About the change in Atmosfear/Atmosphear I can only say NO. It's to obvious, phear looks like some 1337 kid spelled it, and atmosfear is WAY too obvious. Maybe Athmosfere looks better, ot breaks the word, and still sounds good.
  16. Erazor

Erazor ✓ Just Doug It
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Go Atmosfere! But yes, a spelling change will make it look cooler than it already is.

This poll is really close...
  17. Recoil

Recoil

I find both options kinda weak this time. Nimbus wasn't that good either.
    So, Cyclohm.
  18. Gaburaisu

Gaburaisu

Cyclohm just sounds cooler to me.
  19. Objection

Objection

My reason for voting Atomsfere is that the main feature of this pokemon is its cloudy body. Atmosfere refers more to this cloudy body than Cyclohm does. In fact, the use of "ohm" as a reference to resistance, which is something measured in electric circuits, not in thunder clouds, does not work for this design. For those who are wondering, here are some examples of words that refer to natural electricity: thunder, lightning, storm, bolt (at a stretch).
  20. Admiral_Stalfos19

Admiral_Stalfos19

Voting for Cyclohm for the exact same reason as last time
  21. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Considering that Fidgit (which won CAP4 name poll by a landslide IIRC) exist within the CAP forum/server, I don't see why they're a shitload of complains about "bad misspelling" from everyone unless that's the entire point for these complains :/
  22. ParadOxymoron

ParadOxymoron

Ahhh, if Cyclohm wins I'll be so upset. It's like a Pelliper kind of name. Mellow, not threatening. Nowhere near the realm of Dragonite or Tyranitar. (I mean, say it! Say, "Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Garchomp ... and Cyclohm. Eh......)

(Then say "Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Garchomp ... and ATMOSFERE!!! :))
  23. Victanda

Victanda

I so agree with this. Right on from the first poll I've liked Atmosfere! I so hope it wins. Looks negative to me right now though.
  24. Goodbar

Goodbar

My problem with Atmosfere is not so much the spelling (though it's eh), but moreso how it fails for me to describe this pokemon at all. Atmosphere gives me a pleasant relaxed vibe, and this pokemon seems to me, however cute, like a powerful, viscious lightning dragon. Atmosfear is better but...kinda bordering on annoying with two spelling tweaks...Cyclohm isn't that threatening either but it's vague enough to get my vote on this poll
  25. petrie911

petrie911

Two spelling tweaks? It's just Atmosphere+Fear, much like Cyclohm=Cyclone+Ohm.

As far as this sort of "naming theory" goes, they're essentially the same. Both have an overall word with a secondary word subsumed in it. Arghonaut is similar, being Argh+Argonaut, as is Aerodactyl (Aero-+Pterodactyl).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)