CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 10a - Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the name Ohmryu, but I don't think it really flows off the tongue. My name suggestion also uses the 'ohm,' however.

Ohmega

Obviously, 'ohm' is in there to denote electricity. The Greek symbol, omega, is used in physics as the symbol for the ohm. And on top of that, 'omega' and 'mega' also denote power, which a dragon should have.
I went and searched the thread to see if someone had already come up with this. I think it would suit either of two remaining designs. Backing Ohmega and Teslacoatl.

Ohmryu is logical, because Ohm is a unit of resistance, and the CAP 8 is a bulky, and Ohm to a report with electricity, and Ryu is the japanese word for Dragon, simply. And it sounds great.

Ohm + Ryu = Ohmryu

Any comment ?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
For future reference to all potential Topic Leaders after this -- Do not open the name threads until the art design has finalized.

This is a flavor step, that has traditionally been heavily influenced by the design. There are already tons of suggestions in this thread based on the assumption of a certain design winning. I've already had to delete several posts in this thread because idiots post stuff like "It looks like so-and-so is gonna win the art poll for sure -- so I'm going to submit <name here>." That's insulting to the artists left in the art poll, and it's presumptive to poll jump like that.

There is no schedule pressure to collect the name submissions this early. I'm all for naming our creations as early as possible, but I don't think we should open it this early ever again.

Doug has pretty much summed up why I didn't even want to post in this thread yet. I did think we jumped the gun a bit early.

Regardless, I'd like to back the "Storm" prefix discussion with KoA... it seems like a very nice prefix to utilize.

Alternatively, KoA... I'd like to maybe throw in a suggestion for one of the names you came up with... Styvern. Would you be willing to consider Skyvern, maybe? I apologize if this name's already been stated... but if it is, it has my support. If not, would Skyvern be a name to consider? It kinda sounds a little better than Styvern, but that's my opinion.

So, FINAL PROPOSITION:

Omhryu is logical, because Ohm is a unit of resistance, and the CAP 8 is a bulky, and Ohm to a report with electricity, and Ryu is the japanese word for Dragon, simply. And it sounds great.

Ohm + Ryu = Omhryu
I have to ask...why not spell it "Ohmryu"? The only thing transposing the h and m does is make you want to pronounce the h. Well, that and wonder why it isn't spelled "Ohmryu".

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Doug has pretty much summed up why I didn't even want to post in this thread yet. I did think we jumped the gun a bit early.

Regardless, I'd like to back the "Storm" prefix discussion with KoA... it seems like a very nice prefix to utilize.

Alternatively, KoA... I'd like to maybe throw in a suggestion for one of the names you came up with... Styvern. Would you be willing to consider Skyvern, maybe? I apologize if this name's already been stated... but if it is, it has my support. If not, would Skyvern be a name to consider? It kinda sounds a little better than Styvern, but that's my opinion.
Skyvern does sound better, and it looks more aesthetically pleasing. The name still fits the two submission duking it out in the final poll.

Just so long as we dont end up w/ the "Kitsunoh" controversy again

I don't think I've heard anything more fitting and sort of "cool" as dragohm

Although skyvern is good too

Tesladon or Teslagon

Alternatively, Ohmega sounds pretty neat.

Edit:

If Cyzir wins I see nothing wrong with Nimbus.

If it hasn't been said, Skydra seems like a good one for Cyzir. Sky fits with the cloud theme, while "dra" is part of Hydra, which the animal is based off of.

Since Cyzir won my idea for Nimbus works. I was also thinking Cumulo but that doesn't sound as good. Combining the two results in a REALLY wrong name.

Meh, I really wanted Cartoons! to win, because now all the cloud names will be cheesy and/or boring, unless someone can still convince me.

Nimbo and Cumulo are quite short names. I WAS thinking Stratagon, but Stratagem is already a Pokemon.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Heh looks like Stimbus might have some weight to it after all. x)

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like names utilizing clouds. Something like Hydrus might be nice, (Hydra + Cirrus/Stratus) I'm not too good at coming up with names though x)

I remember Cartoons mentioning this Pokemon could be seen as a bully.
Why not incorporate this into its name?

Meh, I really wanted Cartoons! to win, because now all the cloud names will be cheesy and/or boring, unless someone can still convince me.

Nimbo and Cumulo are quite short names. I WAS thinking Stratagon, but Stratagem is already a Pokemon.
It's Nimbus, not Nimbo. And what does it matter if it's short?

I still stick by Atmosfere. First of all, clouds are part of the atmosphere. I deliberately misspelt 'phere' as 'fere' because it looks and sounds like 'fear', somethif that both lightning and dragons invoke. It doesn't have silly generic words like 'thunder' or 'draco', and dare I say it, 'ryu' and 'rai'. Kitsunoh's name was passable because the design was Japanese. CAP 8 no way resembles anything Japanese.

(and before you use the Raikou and Raichu arguments, they're not dragons.)

Atmosfere is witty. It is not an amalgamation of random words relating to electricity or dragons. It is not the result of an hour's research into Greek roots.

I am NOT attacking anyone here, just to clear that up. So, if you want a smart, sleek name, support Atmosfere.

I like Ohmega and probably Fritz the most otherwise. Fritz reminds me a bit of Fidgit, but it perfectly describes what CAP 8 doe - put things on the fritz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)