CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 10a - Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the "ohm = resistance = bulky" thing.

So I suggest Dreiplohm, Drei = 3 in German according to my translator, -pl = the end of "triple", ohm = a unit of resistance.

Dracolt

I know it sounds a bit cheesy and plain, but it's pronunciation gives you a basic idea of Draco + Voltage + Culture.

Went through Google, found some obscure Naruto reference to some technique called Raitatsu, thought it fit pretty well. Means Thunder Dragon technique, apparently.

I still stick by Atmosfere. First of all, clouds are part of the atmosphere. I deliberately misspelt 'phere' as 'fere' because it looks and sounds like 'fear', somethif that both lightning and dragons invoke. It doesn't have silly generic words like 'thunder' or 'draco', and dare I say it, 'ryu' and 'rai'. Kitsunoh's name was passable because the design was Japanese. CAP 8 no way resembles anything Japanese.

(and before you use the Raikou and Raichu arguments, they're not dragons.)

Atmosfere is witty. It is not an amalgamation of random words relating to electricity or dragons. It is not the result of an hour's research into Greek roots.

I am NOT attacking anyone here, just to clear that up. So, if you want a smart, sleek name, support Atmosfere.
Might I suggest "Atmosfear"? It looks and sounds even more like "fear", and it's not like the -ere ending is needed to tell that the name comes from "Atmosphere". Also makes it much more clear that it's not just a misspelling of Atmosphere.

Personally, I have no problem with generic words as long as they're not used in a generic way. And boy do we have a lot of that.

all the ones with Hydro in them sound to much like names for water types. Maybe you should try ones with different versions of the word cloud?
Stratrio Stratus + Trio
Ohmulus Ohm + Cumulus
Cyclohm Cyclone + Ohm
Nephrage Nephrology (Cloudology, basically) + Rage
Cirrage Cirrus + Rage
Monstorm Monster/Monsoon + Storm.
Stratic Stratus + Static

A few more random compound ones.
So far the ones that I've come up with that I like are Nephrage, Trionimbus and Cyclohm.
I'll keep working this cloud angle.

EDIT: After what petrie said, I'm hoping that Cyzir's won. It makes this cloud angle logical. If not, I'm sticking with Magnir which has references to Norse mythology.

I'd like to point out that we don't actually know who won the art poll yet, so there's no sense assuming that Cyzir's design is what we're naming.

That said, I'm torn between the two names I came up with earlier...

Ryo-Savart Ryo/Ryu + Biot-Savart (all t's are silent)

and

Terrorwatt Terror + Terawatt (1 trillion watts)

On the one hand, Ryo-Savart is the name I like better, all other things equal. The Biot-Savart law is used in both electromagnetics and aerodynamics, which makes it appropriate for both designs. The use of the rather common word Ryo/Ryu is annoying, but it's the only way to make the pun work, so I think it's justified. The reference may be a bit obscure, but who cares? How many of you knew that a magneton was something other than a Pokemon?

Meanwhile, Terrorwatt has its advantages. 1 Terawatt just so happens to be the peak power of the average lighting strike. Watts are also most commonly found in electrical settings, especially in the US, where customary units of power are generally used in other settings. It seems to fit Cyzir's design especially well, due to its strong lighting association and fairly intimidating appearance. The reference is also far less obscure, which some consider a good thing, and it only references English words, which again some consider a good thing.

So, anyone have any thoughts on which I should go with? Or do you think they're just terrible and I should stick to something simpler?

I'm really really liking Atmosfear, Skyvern, and Cyclohm for CyzirVisheen's design - they all fit the cloud theme pretty well and are clever portmanteaus without being overly esoteric or obnoxious

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Heh, I think Amplifrai is kind of growing on me. I think in particular i like the "fry" syllable at the end as it suggests that "bitch I'm gonna burn yo ass wit eleventy thousand watts of raw confidence!"

I think its been mentioned before but how about plain old Amperage. Its a bit like Stratagem, not only is it a word, but it kinda matches the poke- Amps + rage =Amperage :) Rage considering how both of the finalists look like they could go into a state of rage any second, especially Cyzir's one

I'm really really liking Atmosfear, Skyvern, and Cyclohm for CyzirVisheen's design - they all fit the cloud theme pretty well and are clever portmanteaus without being overly esoteric or obnoxious
What about it's most obvious feature?

I'm reminded of something from the first Harry Potter;

"Didn't you look at what it's standing on?"
"No, I was too busy looking at its THREE HEADS."

The triple-headed-beast part of the CAP deserves reference in its name, in my opinion. :P

What about it's most obvious feature?

I'm reminded of something from the first Harry Potter;

"Didn't you look at what it's standing on?"
"No, I was too busy looking at its THREE HEADS."

The triple-headed-beast part of the CAP deserves reference in its name, in my opinion. :P
The art hasn't been decided upon yet, in fact there's been a pretty large halt in the flavor end of the process.

Yeah, I just read the thread about cheating after I posted.

If Cartoons ends up winning in a redo poll, Eragwatt seems like a good name. Something about it seems associated with "fat."

Although either way, any of the suggestions with "ohm" in them could work as well.

Monzeun (Mon-Zoon)
Monster + Zeus, and also sounds similar to Monsoon.
I was going to come up with something relating to Zeus, but after searching the thread first and seeing this one I think it fits for both designs. Monzeun sounds like it'd go with a big guy (Cartoons!), but it also fits in the similarity to Monsoon and thunderstorms (Cyzir). And Zeus fits the idea of a powerful electric being well.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright so until we get this cleared up I assume Cyzir wins.

Thus I am rescinding Rextorm for this name:

NIMBY [Nimbus + NIMBY]

NIMBY is short for Not In My Back Yard. Which is precisely where flinchaxing and U-Turn spamming 'mons will be once CAP8 lets loose.

Vote NIMBY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)