1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 14b - Complete Movepool Poll 2

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by cyberzero, May 21, 2009.

?

Which movepool should we use?

1. Deck Knight

47.8%
  2. Umbreon Dan

26.9%
  3. Stellar

13.2%
  4. Aerodactyl Legend

5.5%
  5. petrie911

6.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyberzero

cyberzero
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Our Pokemon so far:

[​IMG]

Name: Cyclohm
    Type: Electric / Dragon
    Style Bias: Somewhat Defensive
    Build Bias: Mixed, possibly Special
    Ability: Shield Dust/Static
    Stats: 108 HP/60 Atk/118 Def/112 Sp Atk/70 Sp Def/80 Spe

All the members selected in the Complete Movepool Submission thread should make a final submission to the TL. These submissions should be listed in the OP of the poll thread and voted on by the community. No alterations, edits, or conditional votes will be accepted. By the time the final movepool is polled, all competitive movepool aspects have already been decided. Therefore, the final movepool is really a vote of individual preference on what best fits the flavor of the pokemon.

This is a clicky poll. Although this is mostly flavor-based, it does have an extremely huge impact on the playtesting, so take the time to read through the movepools and make intelligent choices. Thanks to Zarifor helping me compile the results of the last poll.
  2. To be honest, I have literally not followed the movepool discussion at all, so there may be an answer out there already that I don't know about. I'm confused about why the elemental Punches are in some of these movepools. With Kitsunoh, there were obvious benefits to adding Punches to the movepool, but with 60 base Attack on this guy, I don't see what competitive reason you could possibly have for including them. So are we just ignoring flavor for the hell of it now?

I'd comment now on why I'm voting for a particular one, but I don't think I'll vote on this one. They're all about the same to me.
  3. Avocado15

Avocado15

Voted Umbreon Dan's, loved the flow of the level up moveset, great choice of tutor moves, etc.
  4. Infiltrator

Infiltrator

Still going with Deck Knight. His level up move list is great and so are the tutor moves.
  5. ShayminSOcute

ShayminSOcute

Still Umbreon dan's. Mist balls inclusion pushes it over the line :)
  6. Matthew

Matthew I love weather; Sun for days
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Deck Knight. His movespool is extremely thought out and he obviously didn't give the pokemon anything that could be considered "broken". The thing I also love is that this pokemon lacks a reliable recovery, but it could make an excellent Sleep Talker. Vacuum Wave also is a key move IMO. Fighting-type is alright as an attacking type, it's better defensivly so this priority will help CAP8, but not given it a huge advantage. Light Screen but not Reflect makes this already physically bulky pokemon be able to make some use of its average Special Defense. Last notes are Dragon Dance is a point of interest with me, as is Volt Tackle.
  7. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

I would rather not have Pikachu's or Latias's unique moves on this guy, but every one of them has it except for one, and it lacks Hydro Pump. For me it came down to Deck Knight, though, since it has Gravity.

@Gen.:Isn't Slack Off a reliable recovery move?
  8. Admiral_Stalfos19

Admiral_Stalfos19

^This is exactly why I'm voting for Deck Knight, except it DOES have a reliable recovery move *points to Slack Off*, which I like better. Recover would've been better than Slack Off though because it makes more sense flavor-wise, which is worth a mention 'cause they both do the same thing.
  9. Lostmyth

Lostmyth

Why the hell does all these movesets have surf in it? Surf and Hydro Pump to me does not make sense for this pokemon. Other than that I'm good so I voted for Stellar, since it has taunt and yawn.
  10. diinbong

diinbong *it's in you to give*
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

It basically came down to Gravity for me, actually. Considering Gravity is already a lot more viable in CaP thanks to Fidgit makes me excited to have this guy completed. In any case, I could have done without Slack Off, however it allows you to actually use some supporting moves considering you can't on RestTalk and setting up without healing will become a thorn in its cloud.

Deck Night, btw.

@Gothic Togekiss: It's not nessecarily more popular, but it is more viable (as I said).
  11. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss

Wait, is Gravity even used more on CAP? Based on the some statistics people uses Vital Spirit more than it's custom ability. Now Gravity as a flavor move seems a tad odd from my standpoint. Does clouds emit gravitational pressure on things?
  12. Gir!

Gir!

Sorry, but, sense in Pokemon?. Now, the real reason is Water good neutral cover, remember, the movepools are not made flavorwise, but competively wise, thus, if a Pokemon can use an attack effectively without making it broken, then it will probably find its way in.
  13. Darkflagrance

Darkflagrance

A) Precedent: Salamence gets Hydro Pump while Dragonite gets Surf.

B) It's competitive. Like the above poster said, good coverage.
  14. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

Technically, if you look at it as a percent compared to the Smogon Server, since my Gravity team counts for more of the percent due to less people being on the server.

Not to my knowledge.

Also, IMO, Surf and Hydro Pump actually do go with the flavor of Cyclohm. I consider it to be the torrential rain from its cloud.
  15. Not Scicky

Not Scicky

Actually, anything with mass emits gravitational pressure, though very weak >>
  16. SEO

SEO

Flavorwise and competitively I voted for DK. First off I wanted to point out the lack of Fire Blast and instead Overheat. I really can't see a lightning bolt shooting out flames but I can see it super heating the atmosphere around it with it's lightning bolts (in case you didnt know they are about the same temperature as the sun). I dont see how the water moves don't fit in flavor wise. Its a cloud, which is made up of water vapor. I can only assume that like any other living thing it can control its body. By directing its water molecules it can cause a water attack. Competitavely I like the use of good Electric and Dragon STABs and the inclusion of both water and fire attacks apeals to me. I also like the fact that fire was only given overheat, therfore making it riskier to use.

The only confusing part for me was it learning stun spore after thunderwave, flavorwise its confusing because of the fact it has no spores (at least I think it doesnt) and competitively because thunderwave is better almost everytime, although you could still have the option for hitting ground type switches, but I'd probably still use thunderwave more often because of the accuracy difference.
  17. Illithian-Z

Illithian-Z

This is a rather stupid assumption, but I do believe some voters don't actually look over all the options, but first read Deck Knights, and then notice that others have a lot of the same without really noticing the changes, then vote Deck Knight.

In the interest of fairness, I think you should rotate the order of who ends up on top of the list (on the post) and see if that has any affect on the votes.

I'd like to note that I voted on Umbreon Dan, because I think his moveset has a lot of strong points including access to plenty of special moves, a wide physical movepool including Zap Tackle and Dragon Dance, Mist Ball (one of my favorite moves), Zap Cannon, and one of the only special priority moves, Vacuum Wave. Not only that, but Stealth Rock is an excellent move on any set and makes Cyclohm have an incredible amount of options on any team.
  18. billymills

billymills
    is a Forum Moderator

Voted Stellar on the basis that I didn't really want Overheat and Hydro Pump (which is why they aren't included in that movepool!), given that it seems like EVERYONE else wants them, Deck's is probably the best of the remaining 4, and it looks like it will easily win the next poll.
  19. Starkclamp

Starkclamp

Given that large clouds actually have a fair bit of mass (it's just distributed over a large area), I would say they definitely have stronger gravitation than Blissey...
  20. pkmn-taicho321

pkmn-taicho321

Ah but blissey is as big as a planet. It has it's own moon it's just that fat.

That aside I really like Deck Knight's submission. It gives me everything I need and everything I don't need to make this pokemon an effective tank. It also gives me the chance to try those gimmicky physical sets with dragon dance. I also see on there just about every support move that I was looking for.
  21. cyberzero

cyberzero

Deck Knight and Umbreon Dan will be moving on to the final poll of CAP8! This poll is closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)