1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 15a - Sprite Submissions

Discussion in 'CAP Process Archive' started by CyzirVisheen, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Look at the original design again. The middle of the head does not have a "horn", the middle is the where the neck connects with the head. Some spriters have made sprites with five horns, but that's not in the original design. Because of the jagged neck, on the leftmost and middle head in Cyzir's design, the neck spikes upwards and looks somewhat horn-like. Look at head on the right side of Cyzir's design to see more clearly the difference between the horns and the neck. Also look at Clawed Nyasu's sprites. He has done a similar interpretation of the head, as I did in this most recent sprite.

As for my back sprites, I am making a few small changes to be consistent with the fronts. But due to the back sprite pose, it didn't require much of a change.

EDIT: Beaten by Clawed Nyasu. I guess we are both of like minds on this one... (Nyasu, you said "Actually, the heads only have five horns." I think you meant "four".)
  2. Xeorr

Xeorr

wow man, just when i thought you were done, without a chance (no offence) you come back and wow me (us) with a ridiculously amazing version of your sprite. Honestly, i have nothing more that can describe that but WOW.

edit: the back leg, im kinda iffy about that, many people have sid that you should change it... just my suggestion
  3. Clawed Nyasu

Clawed Nyasu

Lol, you are right. I realized what a silly error I had made while trying to argue the opposite. xP
  4. Headpunch

Headpunch

Holy crap. I would have sworn it had five. Now that accuracy is out the window, I guess my sprite is counting on the strength of its pose, lineart, and colorations. Those five horns were a horror to sprite from behind, too.
  5. m190049

m190049

Ah- your right... I never really noticed... Guess it just didn't stand out until I saw the gap on Doug's...

But anyway on your sprite, Doug... The gap is still weird...
    Could you at least bring out the neck a taad bit? o.o
    Or maybe push the two horns together a bit, so its not as wide...?

Edit: Like on Aaragonbird's?
    (See head on out right)

Well, not exactly like that. Maybe still with some space, but just a bit less...
    Cause it does look quite awkward...
  6. Arkeis

Arkeis (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ (formerly aragornbird)
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG]

Well here are the back sprites. I'm open to suggestions until about 10:30 PM EST, then I'll have to post the final submission.
  7. joshe

joshe the best

well, the heads on the back sprite look a little lanky, but I'm not the expert, so someone else will have to do explain this. otherwise well done.
  8. Xeorr

Xeorr

aragorn, imo, the middle neck is much too smooth. So just change it to slightly more jagged, and not so tall and your set.
  9. DSDark

DSDark

wow really amazing front sprites, the necks on the back sprite could use a little work
  10. Not Scicky

Not Scicky

Unless I can make something super awesome by the end of today, AB's has got my vote >>
  11. bearzly

bearzly Shoddy Battle dev
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

AB's definitely has my vote so far. The only thing that irks me a bit is the grin on the left head on the back sprite. I think that the more aggressive look on the others' heads is more appropriate.
  12. Arkeis

Thanks for the suggestions, people. I took them into account so hopefully it looks better now.

[​IMG]

Well, we still have a few hours left.
  13. bear

bear

yeah fully supporting ab's
  14. Fuzzberry

Fuzzberry

Aragorn, the neck on the head to our right still looks off.

The front sprite is solid as anything, though.
  15. Arkeis

Hooray, let's use the vaguest words ever in the English language! I'm still open to suggestions for the next two and a half hours, but you gotta be more precise than that.
  16. bumfacepik

bumfacepik

Can we see the shiny backsprite? I think for the backsprite you should make the right neck less straight. It looks off.
  17. -Zer0-

-Zer0-

Aaaaaaaaand you win.
  18. cyberzero

cyberzero
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

There have been a myriad of useless posts such as this. Please do not post unless you want to give some constructive criticism to any submissions or would like to submit something yourself.
  19. aXl

aXl c'mon, Scratch me
    is an Artist

The eyebrows on the back's right head doesn't look like a zig-zag in my opinion. The left-bottom part of the zig-zag could be a bit more pointed. It just looks flat IMO.

Looks great otherwise.
  20. Namso

Namso formerly Fuzznip
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

The middle neck on your back sprites seems way longer compared to the other necks. Perhaps you can try shortening it just a tad bit?
  21. DougJustDoug

DougJustDoug Knows the great enthusiasms
    is a member of the Site Staffis an Artistis a Programmeris a CAP Contributoris an Administratoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    CAP Leader

Thanks for the feedback on my front sprite changes. I have added the following front sprites to my final submission posted earlier:

[​IMG]

I also made some tweaks to my back sprites to correspond with the changes to the front sprites, but those changes are not significant enough to warrant re-posting here.

Unless I've made some big mistake, I don't plan to change these sprites any more. Frankly, I'm "sprited out". The only reason I made these latest changes to my fronts, were at the behest of a few users that felt like a few key changes could really make a difference. I will admit, I do like the new front sprites better. But, I don't think I can stand to look at a magnified 80x80 pixel grid any longer. It's been a fun project, but I'm done.

Thanks to all the spriters for contributing to CAP8. All the sprites are wonderful!
  22. Xeorr

Xeorr

lmfao doug, your comments on the 80x80 grid made me rofl. Back on topic, your sprite is looking toy. no, really its one of the top contenders to win this cap poll.
  23. Arkeis

Final Submission

[​IMG]

Well this is it. Thanks for the suggestions and support, everyone! I hope you like the final product. See you at the polls!
  24. cyberzero

cyberzero
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

And with that, we have our submissions done! The poll will be up immediately. Good luck!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)