CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 15a - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyzirVisheen

Am I poplar yet?
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Please note for the time being Cyberzero recovering from an injury, so as ATL I will be continuing things until he gets back.

Our Pokemon so far:

Type: Electric / Dragon
Style Bias: Somewhat Defensive
Build Bias: Mixed, possibly Special
Ability: Shield Dust/Static
Stats: 108 HP/60 Atk/118 Def/112 Sp Atk/70 Sp Def/80 Spe

Sprite Submissions

Rules

1) Sprites should be inspired by the winning design from the Art Poll. It does not need to be an exact rendition of every detail of the design; "artistic license" is granted to all spriters. However, drastic deviation from the selected art design is discouraged.
2) All sprites (front and back) can have a maximum size of 80x80.
3) All sprites (front and back) must have a complete, unbroken, distinguishable outline. It does not need to be a black outline, but it must be clearly distinguishable from the adjacent interior colors of the sprite. Look at the ingame sprites for examples.
4) Sprites must be in PNG format
5) Use 8-bit truecolor (aka 8-bit RGB) or less. This does NOT mean 256 color mode.
6) Use transparent backgrounds
7) Fusions of other sprites are not allowed. All sprites must be scratch sprites.
8) Do not alter, fuse, recolor or otherwise modify another spriter's submission – unless the original artist explicitly gives permission.

Failure to follow these guidelines will result in the submission being disqualified and the post will be deleted.

Sprite submissions for the sprite poll will be selected by the Topic Leader, based on preference and feedback in this thread. There is no process for overturning the Topic Leader's decision. If you are not comfortable with this stipulation, then do not make a sprite submission. Do not post any complaints here or in later threads.

Additional Information

There are 8 possible sprites:
Front Normal Male
Front Normal Female
Front Shiny Male
Front Shiny Female
Back Normal Male
Back Normal Female
Back Shiny Male

Back Shiny Female

In most cases, spriters submit a Front Normal sprite first. Once feedback comes in and the poll nears, they make the other sprites.

You do not have to make different Male and Female sprites, but it helps. Since there are only minute differences between most ingame male and female sprites, it’s not very hard to tweak the sprite for a different gender. Some spriters have made noticeable changes between genders, and that’s fine too.

Shinies are just recolors, so that’s not too tough. There’s lots of people that can’t scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don’t want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you’ll get plenty of offers to help.

Please look at your transparent sprites against different colored backgrounds, not just white. In Shoddy, the sprite will be displayed on multiple background colors in the Team Builder and in battle.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
O_O I love the darkercloud one!

EDIT: Actually the pink one is pretty sweet, too. The heads are a little difficult to see, though. You might wanna darken them some or give them color... and btw, there's no reason for anyone to submit other sprites, this is perfect...

In the shiny sprite could you potentially darken the blue while keeping that glowing effect? That is the only criticism I have on the sprite.

And dang-it now I can't do a Pink shiny =[

@Joat: I tried, but it didn't work very well, I'll try again in a bit...

Also yes you can, people have copied my shiny colours before :A

Hahaha alright then. I was actually going to do those colors in homage to your design in the Art poll :O

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I prefer the darker cloud to be honest, how close to the original artwork do we have to be exactly? Also pink is cute <3

Gen, you have artistic freedom, so essentially all you need is 3 similar heads, a cloud body, and 4 similar legs, and a somewhat similar color scheme. The rest is up to you.

My best suggestion is to fix up the outline on the cloud body at the corner where the light is coming from by making part of that outline a different color.

For some reason, I can't really explain what I mean very well. See how the lightning bolt thing is outlined in a color that isn't black? Part of the outline of the cloud should be a dark grey, in the area where the light is coming from.

If I still am vague, look at an official Pokemon sprite and see how the outline changes at the areas pointing toward the light source.

But otherwise, good scratch. The dark one really looks like a thundercloud.

These are my submissions, I know they suck, but winning is not my goal, I just want to see how far I get and I also want to know what other people think.

When you save it, there should be a tab under the file name that says "save as typs:" click it and find PNG. I'm sorry to tell you, but your going to have to redo the whole sprite because JPG makes it "fuzzy."

I love the sprite already, Atyroki. The pose suggests the bulkiness of this thing and the heads are proportioned so that the dragon retains its cute appeal. The shiny color scheme is also great and a nice homage to your entry.

Could I suggest turning the hind feet to the side a little so the toes point away from the body? It's not a big deal, but it's a trait that commonly suggests reptiles, where having all the toes pointing forward is more of a mammalian thing.

Good start, Lostmyth. Most programs offer you the option of saving as .PNG if you choose 'Save As...' Also, a reminder if you weren't planning on adding them already; this Pokemon has four legs, not two.

It's good sprite work, but I'm not sold on the pose, Dragonzrule. The angle, position of the feet, and the closest head makes it look like the dragon is dropping out of the sky. Perhaps have his forelegs reaching out (hindlegs to push off, forelegs hit the ground). edit: Also, I think it would help for clarity to not have the part of the legs that attach to the body connect with the side of the head.

I love the sprite so far Dragonzrule and I don't think the leftmost head is boring at all, but something erks me about the positioning of the legs. To me, it looks more like your sprite has tripped over an invisible rock and is in the process of falling face first onto the floor rather than lunging toward something. I think positioning the visible hind leg and tail a little further up it's back might fix this.

Well, after about an hour of work, this appeared! (don't worry, it's definitely tentative ;) )

Yeah, I know not the greatest... (I'm really only good at spriting Kirby style, but... ah well. :P) I tried to make it 'simple' like the official Pokemon style, but it didn't turn out very simple at all. Ah well, maybe it just needs an outside opinion, so...

Any tips, critiques, praises are appreciated! Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)