CAP 9 CAP 9 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Art Submissions

A "Final Art Submission" will consist of two things - a "Main Design" and "Supporting Material". A Main Design is the only required element of a Final Art Submission, Supporting Material is optional.

Our CAP:

moi said:
Name: Stop the Secondary
Description: A Pokémon that through means of ability, moves, and typing, can stop a variety of the non damaging affect of moves and moves of non damaging origin.

Justification: While the immediate threat of damaging moves is large and present, the affect of moves such as status, Trick, Leech Seed, Taunt, Stealth Rock, Spikes have arguably had a greater affect to the metagame than anything has ever had, something that this would greatly look in to.

Questions to be Answered:
~ How easily would a Pokémon with such large of a niche be able to fit into a competitive team?
~ How large of an impact would the reducation of non damaging affects and moves have on the metagame?
- What, if any, would happen to the types of teams being used?
- How would this affect the usage of these types of moves?​
~ How much of an affect does typing have on the ability for ANY Pokémon to perform this duty?
Typing: Dark/Ground

Main Design

The Main Design is intended to follow the same general posing and layout as the "Official Art" for existing in-game Pokemon. The Main Design is the definitive design for a given Pokemon and should be suitable for display in the CAP Pokedex section of the upcoming CAP Website, and any other CAP propaganda where a picture of the Pokemon is needed. As such, the design should be "plain" -- a basic rendering of the Pokemon itself, with no extra frills or artistic embellishment. The comparison to "Official Pokemon Art" is only applicable to the basic content of the Main Design; it does not imply ANY standards or guidelines regarding artistic style or rendering technique.
The following rules of content must be followed for the Main Design:
  • It must be a single pose of a single Pokemon. No other Pokemon can be included. Only one pose rendering is allowed in the picture.
  • It must consist of the Pokemon on a plain white background. No additional background detail or settings may be included. No additional background colors or patterns are allowed.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (i.e. Farfetch'd Stick), then it is acceptable. A basic rule of thumb is that anything that would not be appropriate in a game sprite should not be included in the Main Design.
  • Any 2D full color digital or traditional media may be used, so long as it contains a distinguishable outline on the subject in contrast to the background. 3D media are not allowed.
  • It must be no larger than 640 pixels on either axis, no smaller than 320 pixels on either axis, and in a compressed digital format. Uncompressed bitmaps and/or high-resolution images are not allowed.
  • It must be a digital rendering or a scan of a traditional drawing. No camera pictures are allowed.
  • It must be an original artwork by the person making the submission. Lifts, swipes, copies, or alterations of other artists' work are not allowed.
Supporting Material

While the rules for the Main Design are somewhat rigid, there are almost no rules when it comes to Supporting Material. Action scenes, movement studies, interaction with other Pokemon, animations, sculptures, cartoon strips -- anything goes! Also non-art supporting material is also allowed. This includes detailed descriptions of the art, background data, stories, etc.
All supporting art and information must be related to the main design in some way. This rule is intended to prevent artists from posting unrelated art, in an effort to gain more attention or promote other designs or artworks.

Final Submission Post

All artists must make a Final Submission Post in order to be considered for the Art Poll. The post must be titled "Final Submission". The post should have the Main Design at the top, and Supporting Material (if applicable) below it. All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150x150. Do not include full images of supporting art in the Final Submission.
Only make ONE Final Submission Post. If you wish to change your Final Submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any delete + repost will be treated as bumping, and subject to moderation.

General Posting Rules
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork, in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion. But, it must be related to an original art design by the poster.

• Do not spam the thread with excessive amounts of artwork. There are more specific rules listed below, but this rule serves as a catch-all for anyone that attempts to circumvent the exact rules mentioned below. Apparently, some artists think they will improve their chances in the poll if they overload the submission thread with their artwork. Some artists don't realize that they are "crowding out" other submissions by spamming the thread. Whatever the reason -- don't do it, or you will be moderated.

• No post can contain more than 800x800 pixels of included art, and no single picture can be larger than 640 pixels on either axis. If an artist wishes to post art in excess of the 800x800 limit, they should post links to the additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150x150. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post, even if the sum of the thumbnails exceeds 800 pixels. Linked art can be of any size.

• Do not make multiple art posts over a short period of time. If you do so, it will be moderated as an attempt to circumvent the art size limits mentioned above.

• Do not post inconsequential "updates" to previously posted art. If you have made a significant change, and have not posted art recently -- feel free to post an update to the thread. But, insignificant changes will be moderated as an attempt to spam the thread with your art.

• All posted art must be in a compressed digital format. Uncompressed bitmaps or high-resolution images will be deleted.

• No art submissions should be modified by others without the explicit permission of the original artists.

• Using other submissions as "inspiration" for an original artwork is allowed. However, "stealing" of designs is prohibited.

• Do not post to state your intended design. Such posts are a weak attempt to "reserve" an idea, and serve no constructive purpose. If you aren't going to post an actual design, then don't tell us that you are "working on it".

• No bumping or begging. If your design received little attention or commentary, don't bump it. Even worse, don't make a post begging for feedback. There are PLENTY of eyes viewing every post in the thread. If your design is any good, people WILL comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design isn't very good. The silence IS the feedback. Take the hint.

• No posting of design ideas in search of an artist. This is an art submission thread, not an idea submission thread. If you can't draw, then don't post your idea. If you really want to see your idea submitted, then commission an artist and ask them to post it. But don't solicit artists here.

• No posting of art or pictures intended to "give ideas" to artists to draw a design. This includes pictures of real life animals, character artwork from other games, or even Pokemon artwork. It spams up the thread and detracts from the original art submissions. It is acceptable for artists making a submission to post their inspirational references as part of their Supporting Material.

• Do not declare any artwork as "the winner", "is clearly going to win", or similar. It's fine to post praise or support for an artwork, but don't make a statement of fact indicating the results of a poll that has not been conducted. Such posts are premature and insulting to all the other competing artists.

• Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted, and leads to never-ending bitching and bickering. We don't care if it is "just your opinion" -- it's a bullshit comment. There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon, so don't act like you know what a Pokemon should look like. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine -- just say that. But don't reference some mythical Pokemon style rules as "reasoning" for your opinion. It serves no purpose other than to troll the thread.

• Do not post that a design "looks like a Digimon". It's a cheap shot, and you know it. See rule above.

• Do not post questions asking for help in making a submission. If you don't know how to draw, ink, color, scan, save, compress, crop, thumbnail, or link an artwork -- don't ask for help here. This isn't a tutorial thread. By the way -- Google is your friend.
Go wild artists. I look forward to a snazzy looking CAP :heart:

Final Submissions:

Mastadi

I can't draw all that well, but I might as well post this lovely lass anyway.

Giant lovecraftian earthworm thing. When not burrowing through the ground (presumably with the help of its huge, shovel-like claws), it moves diglett-style (also presumably with the help of its shovel-like claws). As it's much slower aboveground (i.e. during battle) then below, it uses its heavy claws to defend itself (and its agrajag teeth probably help with that too).

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I have three works right now.

1.- The Quicksand. Yeah, sand... killer sand. What can be more Dark/Ground than this?

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/2/cap9quicksandcopia.jpg

2.- The Ventriloquist. Its looks is very Dark, but less Ground in my opinion.

http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/042/d/4/Twiloquist_by_TheBlueFlames.png

3.-The Armadillo. Armadillos are desertic animals that go out only at night, to avoid hight tempetures. So, its nocturnal (Dark) and its desertic (Ground).

http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs50/i/2009/276/f/6/Armadillo_Fakemon_by_TheBlueFlames.jpg

Thanks for watching. Please, tell me what do you think about this capmons.

Quicksand looks alot like Revvy to me Calad :/

I just don't get the ground or dark aspects of the Ventriloquist or Armadillo respectively. (I understand that armadillos are nocturnal but it doesn't LOOK dark or anything)

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Quicksand looks alot like Revvy to me Calad :/

I just don't get the ground or dark aspects of the Ventriloquist or Armadillo respectively. (I understand that armadillos are nocturnal but it doesn't LOOK dark or anything)
The Ventriloquist is creepy.
And the armadillo is... a concept. I can give it more dark appearance if I want.
Look Fidgit... I doesn't look Poison for me.

Yeah I love the armadillo but it could certainly do with a bit more of a dark look. Perhaps some well placed Black colouring or red eyes or something (lol). Although I'm not sure how much you could change without ruining it (since its an awesome little guy as it is).

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Wow, art thread so soon?
Hmmm...what animal can be nocturnal, lives on the ground, and has a fierce reputation? Ooh, I know!

A Tasmanian Devil!

Yay!

Well, I'll try to come up with some more stuff tomorrow

That Armadillo is pretty cool, but is alot like sandshrew already...

Ill have one tommorrow. Getting new photoshop. >.>

I'm really liking the armadillo. However I do not feel like it it's a dark type, perhaps adding dark parts to it's plating and/or claws, tail.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I will vote for any friendly-looking Dark-Type. Keep working on that 'dillo!

I think a design with an apparent "remorse for being Dark" personality would better describe the look I have in my head right now. Damn my own lack of artistic ability!

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I'm really liking the armadillo. However I do not feel like it it's a dark type, perhaps adding dark parts to it's plating and/or claws, tail.

Thanks for your comment. I'm gonna make it more agressive with dark parts, but I do no want to change the eyes. Sneasel is Dark type, but is cute anyway.

I like the armadillo the best aesthetically, although the quicksand seems to fit the concept better. I can definitely see it absorbing all sorts of secondary effects.

This is my first draft for CAP9...

Its based off of a wolverine, which is a burrowing animal... I think.

and its armour, thats supposed to be brown, not red.

Okay, we got some neat looking Wolverines/Devils going on here, but what about the Thorny Devil?

A lizard that lives in the desert, despite its appearance, the thorny devil is actually quite timid.

Not the finished version, but I really like it so far.

i think a tasmanian devil/wolverine combo could work. maybe some armadillo thrown in.
Well, I have no armadillo, but I've come relatively close with my prehistoric Wolverine, which Im trying to evolve into a Dire Wolf sort of thing.

Its a very early work, not very well done, but it will be changed and imporved as the project goes along, C+C is welcome!

Okay, we got some neat looking Wolverines/Devils going on here, but what about the Thorny Devil?

A lizard that lives in the desert, despite its appearance, the thorny devil is actually quite timid.

Not the finished version, but I really like it so far.
this is a pretty nice submission. It fits both biases that keep coming up commonly slightly offensive and slightly defensive. So far so good...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)