CAP 9 CAP 9 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

How's this?
Even more amazing! This is the exact pose I imaged CAP 9 using! The red for the eyes and scars makes almost perfect! I'd change the color for the top half of the creature, because that shade of Green/yellow/tan doesn't go well with the brown color of the lower half of the body, but other then that PERFECT!

I think that's it for my front sprites, unless anyone has any more objections, but I might have some difficulty with the back sprites.

It says that someone else can do your shinies for you,
There’s lots of people that can’t scratch, that are willing to recolor your shiny, if you really don’t want to do it yourself. Just ask in the submission thread and you’ll get plenty of offers to help.
does that mean someone can do my back sprites for me, if I have trouble(which is more than likely)?

Comments?
I like it a lot but I would say it definitely looks like a water type and I can't see ground or dark in it at all really. Other than that, it's pretty good.

Edit: I think it's because the specific placement of the greenish dots makes them look a lot like bubbles. Change that and it'll be great.

I think that's it for my front sprites, unless anyone has any more objections, but I might have some difficulty with the back sprites.

It says that someone else can do your shinies for you,

does that mean someone can do my back sprites for me, if I have trouble(which is more than likely)?

I think that would be a no. recoloring and spriting are very different.

Shit, you miss a lot in 3 days here...

Ah, Cyzir's won out eh? Not surprised.

Anyway, so far I'm preferring the half buried sprites to the others, Cartoons!' is my favourite easily, although I quite like Bugmaniacbob's.

I think the reason I don't like the ones that aren't partially underground is because I only like the top half of Cyzir's submission; I personally think that the other end looks wierd the way it ends. If I made one like that I'd use my artisitc liscense to turn the tail into an ordianry whale's tail...

Anyway I might make some sprites later, although I don't see myself topping some of the current competitors.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, KoA's is alright too, although it almost looks too Dynamic, and it really seems to thin for my liking.

Sikh, you mean you'd rather he be popping out from the ground a la Dugtrio as opposed to shooting out of the ground like he is currently? I dunno, I kinda had my heart set on him dynamically bursting out of the ground roaring like a hell hound. :(

IN any case, did male/female differences and a tentative shiny. I'll work more tomorrow I'd really not want to work on it anymore tonight. :(

i feel like it's too thin, it should be bulkier, and the way the its belly looks just doesn't look quite right

Alright, how's this?

I think your sprite is a solid second. there nothing wrong with it, I'm just that impressed with Cartoons!

M/F differences tried a different shiny... not liking it too much though... thinking about going for a red/black shiny...

Edit: Happy Early Halloween! Added a pumpkin shiny =D

Shit. The OP says that the sprite must have a "clear, unbroken outline". So I guess that doesn't work....

Also, the outline doesn't have to be black (or even a single color, I believe), so maybe you could change that. I dunno.

Edit: I didn't double-post; there was a post in between that I guess was deleted.

Chaoscrippler, I'm always a fan of your spritework and again I think you have one of the best pieces on display. I love the energy, I love the shapes, I love the colors. The one thing that's irking me is that the far fin probably shouldn't be visible from that angle, but it makes for a nice composition either way. Really stellar work, man.

Vader, what can I say? The shapes could use some better definition and the shading could be reworked, but I actually really like this sprite in general. The pose is simple and easy to read and I like what you've done with the tail sticking out like in Cyzir's original art. Keep pushing it and I think it'll be really cool.

also, guys, don't forget that this has to be a transparent background .png

Damn Cartoons!... I was going to do that exact pose, and then you took it and did it much better than I ever could >< But, your sprite is really quite perfect. It's huge, which I love, since it really aptures the magnitude of how I imagined our CAP.

The only complaint I have are with the muscles on the arm. They make it look too much like an arm and too little like a fin in my opinion. Also, in Cyzir's art, the "fingers" or w/e on the end of the fin are a little longer. Finally, the second spike on his back is just off. It doesn't look like one solid cone, and the spin up the spike just looks off.

Chaoscrippler, I'm always a fan of your spritework and again I think you have one of the best pieces on display. I love the energy, I love the shapes, I love the colors. The one thing that's irking me is that the far fin probably shouldn't be visible from that angle, but it makes for a nice composition either way. Really stellar work, man.
Hey, man! It's been a while. I really appreciate the comments. Your sprite is great, too. Amazing pose like usual and I love the way you emphasized its bulkiness. In regards to the fin, I don't think it should visible either, but the space between the jaw and the left fin seemed kinda empty. Plus, I think it adds a bit of aggressiveness to the pose, I dunno.

So here's my last update for tonight. I took your advice, EoE, and fixed the drills. The shiny pallet isn't final but I like it. Also, females have a slightly shorter drill-tail thing.

defno, I think the first one looks best out of those three. But perhaps one without the tail would be nice, for comparison's sake.

Chaoscrippler excellent work. Definitely tied 1st with Cartoons for me. I think your sprite would look better if you simply got rid of the scarring on the join of the right fin. AS it is i am finding it difficult to see that fin - maybe that is just me. I think if you moved the scarring to just above this joint you'd still get the weathered old-veteran look but that fin would be clearer.

Hey, man! It's been a while. I really appreciate the comments. Your sprite is great, too. Amazing pose like usual and I love the way you emphasized its bulkiness. In regards to the fin, I don't think it should visible either, but the space between the jaw and the left fin seemed kinda empty. Plus, I think it adds a bit of aggressiveness to the pose, I dunno.

So here's my last update for tonight. I took your advice, EoE, and fixed the drills. The shiny pallet isn't final but I like it. Also, females have a slightly shorter drill-tail thing.

Wow, that's really awesome. But, um, I don't know if you saw my post before but the OP says your outline has to be unbroken, which I'm pretty sure means that your sprite is illegal as it is.

Edit: Gastly's sprite's outline is definitely not unbroken, and the outline isn't clear either.... Where did these requirements come from? Haunter's sprite also does not have an unbroken outline.

Cheeky lil' bugger ain't he?

After that last warm up, I identified a few things that would generally make the sprite better. Emphasizing the Poke's size seems to be the way to go so I was forced to put it underground to maximize space. I generally kept most of the colours from my practice but thanks to my style this sprite uses a whopping 16 colours, the max i'd ever allow on a Pokemon sprite. I think I need to mess with the teeth a bit but that's all I can find wrong at a glance. I'll come back to these after i've done the backs.

To PurpurealSunshine:
That rule really should be edited. Basically as a rule of thumb if it occurs in a in-game sprite then it's fine to use. This applys to fire, ground, gas or other objects that have a partial or no outline.

That looks great, Wyverii, but one thing that bugs me a bit is the shading that is in front of the eye (which goes over the rest of the body on..) looks a bit too.. well.. shaded. I think you should lighten up that part of the shading. Also the chest looks a little bit scribbly.

Cartoons, that is ridiculously amazing. I just hope that while trying to perfect it, you don't ruin it's charm. I could totally see your current sprite as a winner, so I don't think you shouldn't make any drastic changes. I definitely like the drill and the scars more now.

KoA, your sprite has grown on me. However, while the sprite is VERY dynamic, the colours are kind of pulling it down. I know you've tried different colours, but I still feel like they're a bit... dull, compared to the pose. Also, the sand looks kind of strange. The face looks great, though.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Hm... I guess I should continue fiddling with the palette then. However, I'm quite content with the shiny scheme so I don't think I'm gonna be changing that. :)

The sand is also something to work on, though I plan on keeping its general form, I could shift the direction it bursts from to indicate more of a dynamic feeling.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Cheeky lil' bugger ain't he?
I really like this, but there are a couple of things that could be improved methinks. Firstly, if you could get it looking at where the opposing pokemon would be, rather than at where the player is. Secondly, try and make it look a little more menacing and active - it utilises pursuit after all.

Other than those two points, I love it! 8D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)