CAP 9 CAP 9 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist

Ok I tried sprucing up the color schemes again, hopefully they aren't as dull anymore. :(

Also I really like his new pose Wyv! I like the cocky expression and toothed smile, it looks menacing. I do agree with Alchemator about maybe shifting his view forward a bit more. It might be worth tinkering with.

Not feeling your new green KoA. Too bright and putrid for my likings. Sorry.

Also, on the sprite that I'm assuming is female (the right one) the last spike on the back has no outline. You have a gray line on the male's spike, but none on the female's. (This is on the left side of the last spike on the back)

Finally, where is your lighting source? The shading is a bit off to me. The first spike shows a shadow coming toward the head, but the middle spike doesn't have the same shadow. It looks like the lighting source is coming from bellow the sprite, where the eyes are looking, but that's not accurate for other Pokemon sprites...

KoA

is an Artist
kk, lemme fix up those minor errors.The lightsource I have coming from in front of the face so I basically just need to fix the main drill's shading and the shadow it gives off. It may not be conventional for most other D/P sprites, but honestly it's what makes this pose so dynamic and menacing like it's CHARGING AT YOU HEAD ON WOAH!

As for the spike outlines, I was silly and neglected to fix that upon transparency. :(

Oh, so the light source is coming from the face. If you want to do that, I personally don't see anything wrong with it, because it makes the sprite look that much more bad ass. But, it's not conventional, so that's more of a CAP decision.

KoA

is an Artist
Yeah, the nose drill was throwing me off, because I originally intended to do an upper -left hand corner light source but changed it to this. So I fixed the shading a tad and also changed the green. (To be honest, that's the hardest thing to get a color for...)

Won't be able to work on this again til tomorrow afternoon, work calls for me. :(

Yeah, the nose drill was throwing me off, because I originally intended to do an upper -left hand corner light source but changed it to this. So I fixed the shading a tad and also changed the green. (To be honest, that's the hardest thing to get a color for...)

Won't be able to work on this again til tomorrow afternoon, work calls for me. :(
I like it a lot, KoA. This green is def a lot better than the lighter version. The dynamic pose is actually very nice for this poke. We want to also demonstrate its speed, and this sprite does it perfectly! It's literally bursting out from the sand.

My only criticism is that it looks TOO EVIL! If you look at every other pokemon sprite, the extent of bad intentions on a pokemon is like that of a naughty little kid. Look at any of the sprites. The meanest one that I can think of is Weavile, and that too has that 'naughty kid' look to it. All the others look dangerous, but not EVIL. This one looks a little too sadistic imo, like it's really actively trying to make everyone's life miserable. Maybe ease up on the villainy a little bit? Other than that, I'm really liking this one.

Minor alterations to front sprite set and the addition of gender differences. Amazing what one pixel can do, especially for the eyes. I've also added a little more ground to the lower right, shading below the face drill and a few pixel tweaks around the body.

So far, cartoons got my vote, but Wyv and Darthvader are so cool too x.x

AS always, the sprites are sucky (Thats my opinion) in the start and get better and better. Every single one is at least ok now.

GJ people

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here's a WIP of a sprite I'm messing with. No shading at all, and the coloring isn't even complete. But it gives you an idea of the general pose and colors. I'm not sure I want to continue, since I like 3 or 4 sprites already posted. Let me know if you think this has potential.

Here's a WIP of a sprite I'm messing with. No shading at all, and the coloring isn't even complete. But it gives you an idea of the general pose and colors. I'm not sure I want to continue, since I like 3 or 4 sprites already posted. Let me know if you think this has potential.

I think yours stands out Doug (LOL), because this version of the narwhal looks pissed off, instead of cocky. Of course I like the idea that CAP 9 is an prideful pokemon, but I also like the idea that CAP 9 is a pissed off pokemon, so continue with this sprite!

Like a lot of submissions, this one falls into the "wrong shade of green" trap - the top of CAP9 in the concept art is a brownish-green, not a bluish-green (in fact, I'd almost say it isn't green at all), but it seems so many sprites are using a bluish-green instead and I absolutely hate it.

Other than that and the lack of body drill spikes, I like where this sprite is going.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Small update on progress.

Arms have been adjusted (still not sure about the right arm, it looks queer), eyes have been adjusted, eyebrows added, teeth adjusted, stomach lines added, drills adjusted.

The shiny (on the right, shockingly enough) is just a mish-mash of general colours thrown together. It looks okay, I guess, and I think I'll keep with the blue/green shiny theme (as it ties in with the idea of a whale).

I think that's all.

Like a lot of submissions, this one falls into the "wrong shade of green" trap - the top of CAP9 in the concept art is a brownish-green, not a bluish-green (in fact, I'd almost say it isn't green at all), but it seems so many sprites are using a bluish-green instead and I absolutely hate it.
I assume that slightly different colours fall down to artistic license, so there really isn't a wrong green to be using.

Cartoons and Wyverii's sprites are amazing, it never fails to astound me how much detail and expression you can cram into an 80x80 square. Gonna be a tough vote.

WIP

I still plan on changing the pose of the arms a little & fix the dirt & finish shading.

I'm just relieved that this one looks as good as it does. Because when I started my lineart, I was afraid it was going to end up looking like an evil clown. XD

A lot of the limbs I've been seeing seem a bit too claw-like, as opposed to fin-like, which makes more sense for a whale. The claws and bulky arms are too reptilian.

In my opinion, Doug has the right idea in this respect.

Sikh, you mean you'd rather he be popping out from the ground a la Dugtrio as opposed to shooting out of the ground like he is currently? I dunno, I kinda had my heart set on him dynamically bursting out of the ground roaring like a hell hound. :(

IN any case, did male/female differences and a tentative shiny. I'll work more tomorrow I'd really not want to work on it anymore tonight. :(

No I like everything about your pose, but I don't get where the sand is coming from, like spread it around the sides like this / \

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Taicho - Your sprite looks excellent! It's one of the big reasons I'm debating whether to continue with my sprite or not. I think you should stick with the pose you have. It's one of the most "action-packed" sprites in the thread.

I agree with Doug! Yours is a very unique pose and angle on the sprite.

If you want to make a change at all, maybe you can try to move the arms away from the body a little, giving it a 'pouncing' pose. This thing has rather prominent arms in the concept art, so why not make use of them? :)

I agree with Doug! Yours is a very unique pose and angle on the sprite.

If you want to make a change at all, maybe you can try to move the arms away from the body a little, giving it a 'pouncing' pose. This thing has rather prominent arms in the concept art, so why not make use of them? :)
What if I put the fin/arms in front? I'll try a couple more poses...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)