CAP 9 CAP 9 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it a lot, pkmn-taicho.

A couple of things, though. Perhaps, ease up on the scarring around the eye? I find it a little distracting and the markings end up looking like tribal paint. Also, the base of the drill should rest on the flat of its face. Think of a cone sticking out of a cube; it's just kind of awkward to have it poke out of one of the edges rather than the surface face.

Other than that, strong perspective and great expression!

Myself, I've made a few changes to the drills and added some dirt behind him. Also made the shading on the top of his head more graduated. What do you think? A little overboard perhaps? I'm not sure if I should leave it like that, or keep the shading more simple.

Absolutely Beautiful Cartoons! All these amazing entries mean that I have to completely redo mine to even stand a chance.
BTW: Plus, when does submission period end?

A couple of things, though. Perhaps, ease up on the scarring around the eye? I find it a little distracting and the markings end up looking like tribal paint. Also, the base of the drill should rest on the flat of its face. Think of a cone sticking out of a cube; it's just kind of awkward to have it poke out of one of the edges rather than the surface face.

Myself, I've made a few changes to the drills and added some dirt behind him. Also made the shading on the top of his head more graduated. What do you think? A little overboard perhaps? I'm not sure if I should leave it like that, or keep the shading more simple.
the flatter shading was much more... pokemony? I don't dislike the new shading but the old shading seems to be a better fit. Thank you for your C+C I'll get to work on it! maybe I can do better than 4th in this poll =P

I think it looks great Cartoons, only a few things irk me.

The big drill, the one on the front of the face, I think its a rivet too big. Although you could have the female have a smaller (or larger!) drill, that would be super. Also, the grooves on the big drill, they need to be synchronized more. Especially the groove closest to the face, its almost completely straight and too far distant from the other grooves.

It may be just me, I won't know, but the dirt behind it is a tad bit dark and is attracting much attention. Other than that, its fantastic! I particularly love how it doesn't look awkardly crammed in an 80x80 box, yet is staring the opponent down with an "is you serious? you wanna mess wit me?" look.

I tried my hand at a sprite, and its utter crap. I'm afraid this is it for me, now i'm just another voter.

Edit: Make the eyes and scars orange please, like they are in the OP. Just so we can see what its like.

Good lookin', the green was kinda buggin' me too. Is this any better?
I think you should use Hippowdon's sand style, the sand seems out of place on the current sprite, if you used the inside-the-ground style like Cartoons! it would easily be the top contender.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Sikh, you mean you'd rather he be popping out from the ground a la Dugtrio as opposed to shooting out of the ground like he is currently? I dunno, I kinda had my heart set on him dynamically bursting out of the ground roaring like a hell hound. :(

IN any case, did male/female differences and a tentative shiny. I'll work more tomorrow I'd really not want to work on it anymore tonight. :(

@Cartoons: the one thing that sprite is missing is the prominence of the scars from the original art....perhaps the scar above its eye could be red instead of sandy gray?

@KoA: those shinies are incredible. The black makes it look....demonic. Definitely captures a lot of that "Dark-type" feel....

Cartoons, your's is incredible! It looks like an old man ready to yell at young children for coming on his lawn. I love that though, it's comedic, yet kick-ass at the same time.

KOA, your's is pretty beastly too. It just looks like it wants to pierce the heavens with its drill. :P Anyhow, I like its bloodthirsty look.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Taicho, the only advice I can give for choosing shinies (as well as palettes in general) is to use color sequences that mesh well together.

The middle for example clashes horribly with the way the blue is juxtaposed against the main body color. Blue and brown do not go well together and when placed side by side, they tend to be rather unappealing to the eyes. There are a ton of color schemes you can use. If you go about the colos in sets of threes, you can come to realize many color relationships.

For example: Black is practically universal and can easily be paired with any color. It's a tad trickier throwing a third one in the mix, but some fiddling around can yield good results. In my shiny, I chose to pair it with brown and beige because the three are very earthy colors and mesh well together.

Hope my lil color lecture helped, even if just a little bit.

I would make the eye's more glaring-ish, besides that I like it.

All right, I'll edit that in in V.2.

Also, I agree; Cartoon, yours looks kinda depressed. Like someone just took his pudding or something. Also, his arms are kinda chubby and non menacing.

I LOVE that sprite, even though I don't like any of the colors. But the pose, the look on his face, the bulkiness, it's amazing!

I think it looks great Cartoons, only a few things irk me.

The big drill, the one on the front of the face, I think its a rivet too big. Although you could have the female have a smaller (or larger!) drill, that would be super. Also, the grooves on the big drill, they need to be synchronized more. Especially the groove closest to the face, its almost completely straight and too far distant from the other grooves.

It may be just me, I won't know, but the dirt behind it is a tad bit dark and is attracting much attention. Other than that, its fantastic! I particularly love how it doesn't look awkardly crammed in an 80x80 box, yet is staring the opponent down with an "is you serious? you wanna mess wit me?" look.

I tried my hand at a sprite, and its utter crap. I'm afraid this is it for me, now i'm just another voter.

Edit: Make the eyes and scars orange please, like they are in the OP. Just so we can see what its like.
Every thing said here, especially the bold and you have a perfect sprite IMO

How's this?
One thing I find it that its back looks like its bigger than the hole, so it looks stuck. If the sprited dirt was extended further to the right and back, not a lot but just enough, it could be better (if that were possible, its still freakishly amazing)

Cartoons, I'm glad to see you're so on this. I was about to quote your whole post then say how amazingly awesome it looks.

But since 3 people in a row did that I guess i'll just say way to go, what they said. :P

A sprite this well done can only be improved with an even better backsprite.

Edit:@Chaos: Wow, that's impressive too. But the drills look like they're made of marshmallows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)