1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Discussion [CAP ASB] Test Battle: Deck Knight vs. Alchemator (Ref: smashlloyd20)

Discussion in 'Policy Center' started by Deck Knight, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smashlloyd20

smashlloyd20

Considering squads are picked after arena choice, so both trainers can pick Pokemon to suit the field, no, they can't.
  2. Objection

Objection

This was an enjoyable read and I await the next battle with great anticipation.

My only nitpick (and tbh this one is really really nitpicky) is that in one of the posts it said Zangoose's Poison Heal ability took effect, but isn't it Poison Rampage?
  3. auramaster

auramaster

That was really cool, I've always wanted to try ASB, may have to join this sometime.
  4. Son_of_Shadoo

Son_of_Shadoo

Now this looks like fun... Excellent job to all three of you! I look forward to starting my own ASB career here.
  5. Chubbs

Chubbs

No, Poison Rampage is something added this gen iirc (we've had itw since gen 3/4, I think).
  6. smashlloyd20

smashlloyd20

Actually, that was an error on my part. It should have been Poison Rampage. Sorry.
  7. Wikey

Wikey

Smashlloyd is right but a compilation might be a good idea for newbies who need help describing an arena.
  8. smashlloyd20

smashlloyd20

It's not hard to say 'Simple round arena with a high ceiling and dirt floor'. If you're really desperate, leave it up to the ref.
  9. Gothic Togekiss

Gothic Togekiss
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Sticking with the arena related talk are they're any limits onto what kind of arena can be used and/or described?
  10. smashlloyd20

smashlloyd20

Not really, you can do pretty much any arena you want. Might not be a good idea to do a zero-gravity arena on your first battle, though. And find a good ref to ref a battle like that.
  11. mewtwo15026

mewtwo15026

That was awesome.

I never imagined that something like this ever existed until yesterday, when I stumbled upon this. I can't wait for it to start; any estimates on when that'll happen?

I have one burning question, though: can the combatants see each others' action submissions for each round? Not that I don't trust you guys--I have no reason not to; we're not playing Mafia--but isn't there some way of keeping that closer to the vest?

Visible moves or not, when this launches, I'll be in a tent by the registration counter, looking to claim a Mudkip. Cuz whu duzent liek Mudkipz?
  12. smashlloyd20

smashlloyd20

We liek Mudkip yayaya.

I think the estimated launch is somewhere around Valentine's Day.

And yes, you can see your opponent's action submissions. As you can imagine this gives the person going second an advantage, so the battlers switch order order each round.
  13. Rediamond

Rediamond

Hey guys!
    *shot*
    So anyways, I'm not dead... at the moment, anyways.

Awesome battle, looking forwards to the release... and I'm sorry for being rather inactive earlier...
  14. Limewire

Limewire PRESS R TO WIN
    is a Contributor Alumnus

That was a pretty interesting battle.

One question: will there be any "standard" rules or clauses for this tournament, and if so, what are they?
  15. TotalPotato

TotalPotato

I somehow completely missed this whole Smogon ASB thing for the months it's been taking shape - probably because I don't visit this forum often.

I've done some ASBing before, and the main problem with it was the massive amounts of time it took to get anything done. The pacing of this battle was nice and quick, though. As long as people stay active, hopefully battles shouldn't take several months to finish.

When this gets going, I'd certainly be interested in both battling and reffing!
  16. FinnRagetti

FinnRagetti

I know that this is very early on and what not, but glancing over Serebii's forums, there are Gym leaders and such. I was wondering if you guys planned to implement something like that (if not immediately) in the future?

Also, is it possible to run multiple battles simotaneously/ref one game and play another? I would assume so, but I was just wondering what you guys decide is best.

Edit: I dont know if you have it set or missed it, but I couldnt find the costs for upgrading the movepool via the paticular ways mentioned.
  17. Deck Knight

Deck Knight A Knight for the Aegis
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

General questions:

Release Date:

I've PM'd Doug and I'm hoping I can get a Subforum set up. In the meantime I have to finish updating the CAP Data. There are other avenues I have on backup as well. I'm shooting for Valentine's Day but the subforum would be much, much more helpful so I'll be keeping all lanes open.

Arenas:

Arenas are basically limited to your imagination, but we could compile a few standard ones here and there over time.

Gym Leaders/E4 etc.:

Like a lot of the RPing shops, these will be sorted out later. My current thought is holding type tournaments to determine the GLs, but otherwise this is something that will be set up later in the league. It really depends on the playerbase and game speed, things I'll be trying to balance in the future to make this a reality. I think with this system it brings GLs closer to the average trainer.

The system is designed to move at a faster pace than other ASBs, which usually have a 2 battle limit. We might up it to 3 at a time, and you can ref as many as you like, though not to the detriment of reffing quality.

It's in the Data Auditing Thread. I'll repost it here:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)