CAP Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, in general, would the ideas of counters work? Loosely based on types. Pyroak would be hit harder by Strata, just to make sure that no character is significantly better than the rest. I'm lookin' at you Metaknight and V-13.

That is more of a gimmick than anything else. Balancing characters can be done by weakening/strengthening their moves, or changing the mechanics of their moves.

Edit: I just found out that you can change the angle of Argo's cut. Light punch gives it an angle of about 90 degrees. I can't really tell the difference between medium cut, and strong cut. However with this in mind I can now use cut in more situations than before (before I thought it was an inferior uppercut, since both seemed to be used for hitting jumping opponents). Also it seems that the knockback/stun time from cut is just enough to get a Bulk-up off.

So yeah, ignore by previous suggestion of cutting down the Bulk-up time. Cut is really a useful move.

Can someone do a really quick test for me? I have been unable to get Strata to have two projectiles on the screen at once. If I do. v,>,m then v,>,m only one projectile can be out at once. I could be messing up, but I have been unable to get two projectiles out at the same time. Can someone verify if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is right?

If I'm right, Cartoons!, you might consider fixing this. Pyroak can have any number of projectiles on the screen at once, so having Strata at this disadvantage is a little... unfair. I'm not hating on Pyroak, as I main him. Just saying, if he can have multiple out (I've had three. Two Energy Balls and an Ember) why can Strata only have one ancient power?

EDIT: Does Fidgit's Encore stop projectiles from being used? I couldn't get Strata to use Ancient Power after about half the battle while fighting Fidgit... The ony thing I can think of that caused this was encore. Or, some glitch.

Can someone do a really quick test for me? I have been unable to get Strata to have two projectiles on the screen at once. If I do. v,>,m then v,>,m only one projectile can be out at once. I could be messing up, but I have been unable to get two projectiles out at the same time. Can someone verify if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is right?

EDIT: Does Fidgit's Encore stop projectiles from being used? I couldn't get Strata to use Ancient Power after about half the battle while fighting Fidgit... The ony thing I can think of that caused this was encore. Or, some glitch.
Tested: He cannot have more than one projectile on the screen at the same time.

Tested: Encore does not stop projectiles. I tested this in versus mode. I fired Ancient Power just fine.

UGH! Finally got to the boss on Sweatin' with my new favorite CaP ever, Strata (at least until Collosoil is in the game, he looks like a TANK) and I was amazed! Love it Cartoons, love it! Also, would it be possible to speed Ancient Power up a tad and slow Ember down? That, or allow them to cancel out, Ember just goes past Ancient Power without stopping.

UGH! Finally got to the boss on Sweatin' with my new favorite CaP ever, Strata (at least until Collosoil is in the game, he looks like a TANK) and I was amazed! Love it Cartoons, love it! Also, would it be possible to speed Ancient Power up a tad and slow Ember down? That, or allow them to cancel out, Ember just goes past Ancient Power without stopping.
Ancient Power is already fast enough. If you use the Heavy punch button then it comes out slower, but travels fast. Light punch comes out fast and travels slow.

Ember is also meant to work like that. It costs 10 energy, and you have to charge it for a bit. It comes out slow, but travels fast. However, it isn't that fast. You should be able to block it provided that you are paying attention. It is also meant to go through projectiles. I don't think it is broken, or even overpowered.

Also did Strategem receive a boost, or is that being saved for the next update. I seem to be having more trouble with him in Arcade mode.

Yup, Strata has been a gem (pun intended?) for me as well. At first, I hated his ability... but I've come to love it's uses. Now for a flurry of questions and statements...

What program did you use to create this?

I'm having a very, very hard time grabbing I general (not necessarily a bad thing).

Grabbing with Rev is sooooo hard...

I absoultey cannot express how amazing the arcade character select screen is; more accurately, I love the bottom-right hand corner "shadow monsters."

Aggro's Mach Punch is so friggen beastly.

What are your plans (assuming you've made some) for the big ole' whale?

Trip moves are very potent.

Thanks a billion for such a amazing game Cartoons!

For that training mode... it would be nice if your opponent... didn't move.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since Doug agreed, and because I think it would get better exposure there now that IR has absorbed two sub-forums, I'm moving this to CAP. If you object Cartoons, or Doug changes his mind, someone can feel free to move it back here.

The single player/local mode is working great for me, but the lobby still has problems.
And Exclamation Point, if there was training, It'd be nice if you could choose what they do(jump/nothing/attack/etc.).

Thanks a lot Firestorm and Doug for getting this thread moved here!

EP, the game was made using 2D Fighter Maker.

Other have expressed this, and I'm considering making 'grab' it's own button in a future release.

What I like to do with Rev is, after you've knocked down your opponent, jump to their other side and and execute the grab command as they stand back up. Likewise, you can jump over them and hit them with a medium air attack and grab them just as they recover from the stun. Only jumping or a well-timed quick move would get them out of that. Crouching medium is also a good way of closing in to grab range.

coo

we'll see

perhaps too potent?

my pleasure

I'm planning a Training mode for a future release. Unfortunately, it wouldn't afford lots of bells and whistles like some modern fighters offer. Just something like a standing opponent with a shitload of health and infinite time. For now you could always practice on 2P in versus mode.

Golbez. I'm assuming, if you're trying to host, you've set up your router appropriately? If so, which version of Lunaport are you using? It's my fault that there may be a malfunctioning version floating around out there (the big white clean looking one).

pkmn_taicho, is the problem Winzip, or the game executable itself?

Sure thing, Xaqwais!

Finally, I've uploaded some matches between of myself fighting Pink and Exarius. I'd like to apologize to Exarius for having recorded only one of our matches, we had several really good ones, and it's a shame Lunaport had reset between our first match and our later ones.
Here are the vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GL_5FElg7Q vs Pink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxO12THGaPo vs Pink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD04wvqzheQ vs Exarius

Also, thanks a lot, Pink, for fielding some of these questions when I've been away!

edit: regarding Ancientpower, it is intentional that gem cannot have more than one on the field at once. His recovery is good enough that he would be able to flood the ground with floating rocks which could be pretty devastating. Pyroak can have one Energy Ball and one Ember on the field because the charge between them is long enough that he can't flood the screen with them. Not even the cpu can have more than one EB out at a time. It's possible that he fired a new one just as the first one hit or disappeared. If not however, it's a bug that needs to be looked at. As yet however, I haven't seen that happen.
Stratagem not being able to use AP at some point however is a real problem that may occur occasionally and is something I very much want to fix.

Regarding have two energy balls and one ember:

Pyroak had fired a Red EB and a Green EB, then fired an Ember. It is possible that the Red one hit me right has he unleashed the Ember. I might have been playing the game through LunaPort at the time, so I'll look through the replays I have to see if I have that fight saved to give you a definitive answer.

EDIT:

Two minor nitpicks.

1) The computer can respond to aerial attacks far too quickly. I feel that the send I jump, Fidgit is already in the air throwing me back down. Or, Sylcant is right up there comboing my ass into a corner...

2) The computer can do things at ridiculous super human speeds. I just watched a Stratagem do Paleo Wave without every really leaving the ground. He initiated the jump and IMMEDIATELY did Paleo Wave. When I say immediately, I mean immediately. His body never left the ground. He simply appeared to pull the move off on the ground. Try as hard as I can, I can't get this to work with my fingers even remotely. The lowest I did it was about 1/3 of the jump.

I suck at this game, but I guess I'm going to have to try and beat sweatin' so I know what thios big surprise is that everyone is talking about...

Chomloz:
When it's unzipped, open the folder you unzipped it to, and locate icon called "game" (without quotations).
doubleclick it. The game should open from that.
when on the start-screen (looks like shoddy or netbattle-startscreen where you have to put in username and PW), choose arcade with your movement buttons (default WASD).
hit punch to select it (default JKL).
then choose your character the same style.
have fun ;)

1) The computer can respond to aerial attacks far too quickly. I feel that the send I jump, Fidgit is already in the air throwing me back down. Or, Sylcant is right up there comboing my ass into a corner...

I like that they are able to do so. Consider it punishment for backing your self into a corner. Scylant often miss fires on the third full fury attack, often giving you an advantage.

2) The computer can do things at ridiculous super human speeds. I just watched a Stratagem do Paleo Wave without every really leaving the ground. He initiated the jump and IMMEDIATELY did Paleo Wave. When I say immediately, I mean immediately. His body never left the ground. He simply appeared to pull the move off on the ground. Try as hard as I can, I can't get this to work with my fingers even remotely. The lowest I did it was about 1/3 of the jump.

I've actually done this a few times as well. Still trying to figure out how though...

I can't belive I missed this! I've watched the videos, it looks amazing!

*downloads*

If I'll have any problems or comments, I guess I'll edit this post.

Edit: Well, the game is interesting, but a bit complicated too. Also - I want to play online, but not to host a battle (just join one), but the explanation at the begining isn't TOO clear. So how do you? And another thing - how do you go "back" at the options at the begining of the game?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This game is really great! Not only does this advertise the CAP Project, but it's a great contribution by a Smogon member. I want to celebrate this on a wider scale.

Cartoons, if it's OK with you, I want to make a page for this on the CAP website, and make a news item for it on the Smogon front page. Are any badgeholders willing to make some HTML pages for this in SCMS?

@Blue_tornado:
heres a small guide:

1: Open the folder you unzipped the game to. locate a program called LunaPort.
2: Make sure you don't have the game open. When LunaPort opens, it should look like the screen in OP.
3: Press 4 and Enter, so you join the lobby. If there are anyone hosting, you see their username, and possible opponent if that host is battling at the moment.
4: Press the corresponding number of the host you want to fight/watch, and have fun ;) rest is like in normal play.

and if you want, I can try to host for a while so we can fight :)

Exarius, I'd like to battle you. I watched your battle with Cartoons! and you have some great moves with Rev. Let me know if you want to battle. I haven't figured out how to host on my network yet, so would you mind hosting?

Also, Doug, if you need any help writing something up, I'd like to help. I want to help get the word out about his game!

Doug, that'd be just great! If you need me to make a more presentable website for detailing moves, let me know, as I realize what I have now isn't the most pleasant thing to navigate.

Also, I'd enjoy watching you two play if it doesn't interfere with the connection. Likewise, I'll probably be hosting some games today if anyone else wants to join.

Well, my "battles" so far were just "hit wildly on the keyboard and see what happens!", so I need to learn the game more to start to play seriously. Anyway, I'll probably be watching battles for now. Thanks Exarius!

Edit: Cartoons, I see you on, but like I said I'm not battling yet =3

I'll be happy to watch the battle with whoever battles you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)