CAP Process Guide Updates Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
DougJustDoug said:
This is approved.
Those who have read CAP's process guide may have noticed that several areas remain uncompleted, or otherwise out-of-date. The goal of this thread is to fully update the process guide, along with adding articles that would further improve it.

As of now, areas where the guide needs to be updated are:
-Concept Assessment Description
-Name Submission Updates, as detailed here
-Removal of Pokedex Descriptions
-Server Implementation
-Finalize Analysis
-Misc (Pre-evos, Height, Weight, etc.)
-Playtesting (may be influenced as a result of discussion here)
-The analysis description should come after the playtesting description.
-Concept Assessment should be on a separate bullet from the Concept Poll in Order of Events.

Areas where it is felt that the guide would benefit from their inclusion are as follows:
-Detailing of the addition of New Moves and Abilities
-Advice on performing duty as a TL (preferrably written by former TLs)
-Other possible inclusions as suggested.

Concept Assessment
This thread will be set up shortly after the concept poll so as to allow the community time to best determine the path the concept should take. The discussion should remain general: poll-jumping is not allowed.

Name Discussion
A short discussion and submission thread where people can submit a name for the new Pokemon. Only one name per user can be submitted. The user should also not attempt to "bump" their submissions to get responses. Names should avoid referring to popular culture (i.e. video games, music, celebrities, and so on).

Server Implementation
After a CAP is completed, DougJustDoug will soon begin work on implementing it on CAP's Shoddybattle server. Once this is completed, a playtesting thread will be posted for players to detail their experiences regarding the CAP. Additionally, the sprite pack should be redownloaded for the latest CAP's sprites.

Finalize Analysis
Once the CAP has been playtested, an analysis will be written up for it to be placed in the Strategy Pokedex. A workshop thread will be made in which users may submit written analyses to be put in the final product. The workshop leader is able to reject submitted sets due to poor quality, the set being uncompetitive, and so on. When the analysis is finished, it will be archived in the Strategy Pokedex.

Misc. (Pre-evos, Height, Weight, etc.)
Once a CAP has been completed, the TL will post a thread detailing the finalized information regarding it. In this thread, users are encouraged to submit information regarding the Pokemon's height, weight, number of pre-evos, and so on. Special care should be taken on weight, as certain moves rely on the value to determine base power. The TL will make the final decision regarding these values.

Playtesting
For the first two weeks after a CAP is implemented on the server, a Playtesting ladder (which will have its scores cleared) will be set up with all CAPs but the most recent banned. The user with the highest ladder score at the end of this period will be considered the playtesting champion for that CAP, and will receive a custom title on the forums displaying it. Additionally, a thread will be set up to allow users to detail their experience with the latest CAP from battling on the server. The regular ladder, with all CAPs allowed, will be taken offline during this period to be reinstated once the two weeks are done.

New Moves/Abilities
A new move or ability should only be suggested in its respective discussion thread if it is felt that it is absolutely necessary that the Pokemon should have it in order to fulfill its concept. A new move must not implement new mechanics (i.e. hits Pokemon with the ability Levitate for x2 damage) and should use existing moves as a model for its effects.

TL Advice
  • The TL should stay neutral in discussion until, at least, the end of the poll. As TL, voters can easily be swayed by the opinion of "the man in charge." So, while it is encouraged to make comments that help intelligent discussion, you should avoid taking a stance for or against any particular option.
  • Double-check your threads before submitting them. Various errors in the latest CAP thread (such as title or lack of a clicky poll) can be hugely inconvenient for both the TL and that part of the project.
  • Stay on the ball. After the twenty-four hour minimum, it might be a good idea to keep an eye on how fast votes are being made. If they're beginning to slow down, it's probably a good idea to start working on the next thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------
The revisions will be updated as needed until they are sufficient for implementing in the Process Guide.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If possible could the Pre-Evo discussion get its own PR thread? I did send a proposal to Doug about it a while ago, he wanted to get EVO sorted out first but if its being talked about then trying to fit it around all of these other points would be hard.

Also I disagree with the TL picking all of the Pre-Evo information, at least not without a framework to work from.

Magmortified

If possible could the Pre-Evo discussion get its own PR thread? I did send a proposal to Doug about it a while ago, he wanted to get EVO sorted out first but if its being talked about then trying to fit it around all of these other points would be hard.
In the event that anything changes by way of PR thread, then the information will be updated to reflect that. Pre-evos may get their own description if necessary.

Also I disagree with the TL picking all of the Pre-Evo information, at least not without a framework to work from.
Not necessarily. Number of pre-evos could be primarily up to the TL's discretion while other information is worked out by the community. Additionally, the TL should probably take cues as to the general attitude of what people are saying. If everybody's screaming no pre-evo, then the TL probably shouldn't say there'll be two.

But overall, pre-evos are a very small part of this. Mainly because they're almost entirely flavor-based.

Magmortified

I've based the Playtesting section on the assumption that it's probably going to be implemented. If anybody wants to hit me with a stick for this, go ahead.

I think I've got most of this done now. Anybody want to look over this and suggest any revisions or additions to it?

This is really for the Stratagem Analysis but I don't see the need to bump that thread so just to quickly mention here - don't forget to remove Air Cutter from the LO Technician Attacker since it doesn't get it.

The advice on performing as a TL section is a much needed addition!

Magmortified

Okay, I think we're pretty much done here. If a mod would be willing to:

-Remove Pokedex descriptions
-Put Analysis Descriptions after Playtesting Descriptions
-Put Concept Assessment on a separate bullet

And add all the descriptions written in the OP, it would be much appreciated. ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)