1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

CAP Regional Pokédex?

Discussion in 'Create-A-Pokémon Project' started by Darthrai, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Darthrai

Darthrai

Thought it might be fun to think up an entire regional Pokédex featuring CAP characters and other fakemon... we could use the current Gen IV CAP's and add Gen V CAP's as we go along, gradually expanding the dex. In keeping with the spirit of CAP, it would probably end up being a Dex with no existing Pokémon (kinda like the Unova Dex, and following cues from Battle CAPacity). Plus it could also be cool to think up legendaries using the CAP process (or a similar process).

Thoughts?
  2. DetroitLolcat

DetroitLolcat Maize And Blue Badge Set :)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Well, I'm not CAP PR guy, but it seems cool. However, we would need a LOT more CAPs first. And it's not really a competitive project, so it might be lacking support. Honestly, this might do well as a Fakemon region in Smeargle's Studio.
  3. Darthrai

Darthrai

I was actually thinking that the "remaining slots" would be filled with Pokémon designed "backwards"; instead of being designed to fill a competitive niche, they could be designed to ecological niches filled by Pokes from previous generations (so you have your common rodent, common bird, etc.), and afterwards have their stats and movepools designed to be realistically reminiscent of an actual Pokémon region.

About doing it as a region in Smeargle's Studio... I'm not sure how things are about whether you're allowed to use the CAPs in your own Fakemon region, I started my own Fakedex (a Johto-like extension of the Unova dex) and originally wanted to use Arghonaut as the water starter final evo since he's just that awesome (with Arghon as the second stage), but didn't want to use other people's work, so I settled for a UFC-fighting pistol shrimp. (He'd have to get axed anyway if we used CAP's because his concept is too similar to Krillowatt.)

I'd love to start this as a collaborative, board-wide project if the CAPs can be used, but the question is, can they?
  4. ssbbm

ssbbm

I'm pretty sure that if you want, you can use the CAPs however you like (if you credit of course), but I don't think that CAP can support this, as CAP is focused on competitive battling, and generally does not mesh well with non-competitive aspects.
    Basically DetroitLolCat's explanation.
  5. Aerodactyl Legend

Aerodactyl Legend

A Pokedex for the Cap already exists on the site.

And the project is geared for the Competitive play of Pokemon which means we only make the Caps to learn about the competitive game. We don't fill any ecological niches. We might add any of those elements (including pre-evos) after the process is over, but when making them, we strictly aim to keep as much of these "flavor" matters out of it.

However, I don't visit it much, but maybe you can try your idea here where flavor topics are allowed. And yeah, as they said, Smeargle's Studio might be a place as well.
  6. Darthrai

Darthrai

Thanks :) That looks like a good place for the topic, and a fun group to join :D
  7. Zebstrika

Zebstrika

Legendaries? Have you seen the BSTs of the existing CAPs?

Pokemon....BST....Rank (among real non-legendary, non-pseduo legendary pokemon without a hindering ability)
    Krilowatt....570....1 by a lot
    Collosoil.....565....1
    Syclant.....555.....tied with Arcanine for 1st
    Fidgit........555.....tied for 1st with Arcanine
    Arghonaut..555....tied for 1st with Arcanine
    Voodoom....550....tied for 2nd with Volcorona
    Cyclohm.....548....3, behind Volcorona then Arcanine
    Pyroak.......540....tied for 4th behind Togekiss(545), Volcorona(550) and Arcanine(555)
    Stratagem..535....tied for 13th with 8 others
    Revenankh..534....tied with Charizard, Infernape and Typlosion for 21st
    Kitsunoh.....513....69, the only around average ranking
  8. DetroitLolcat

DetroitLolcat Maize And Blue Badge Set :)
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Yeah, the CAPs have really high stats...Krilowatt could be part of a legend trio if you give it 10 BST somewhere, but let's just forget about Krilowatt...
  9. coolking49

coolking49

This would actually be pretty cool, making a whole region with new pokemon and just like what alot of people have done with some rom hacks. While it seems like a cool idea Smogon is usually a competitive community and this seems like something the community wouldn't embrace. However I'm all for it personally.
  10. Zystral

Zystral めんどくさい、な~
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

It's a waste of time.
    CAPs are designed entirely with a competitive mindset, and while people have put them in ROM Hacks, we will never have a practical use for a CAPDex. If someone wants to build a new dex with CAPmons for their ROM Hack, they can probably do it by themselves. This would waste time and effort

I agree, it would be fun and interesting, but would serve zero real purpose.
  11. jhonmathew

jhonmathew

But the family is a story based on my Zubat Pokemon! Blue, I was Lv. 250 Golbat. Sprites and blue paskalla scared me when I was little. The money was one of the Pokemon Crobat me because I do not know, good luck.
  12. Engineer Pikachu

Engineer Pikachu Good morning, you bastards!
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Zebstrika, you've completely forgot about Aakeosu, who has a BST of 567. (I'm assuming you're doing 5th Gen, since Urugamosu is there)
  13. ShyGuy1221

ShyGuy1221

I think he counts Aakeosu's ability "faint hearted"/"timid" as a hindering ability.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)