CAP Regional Pokédex?

Thought it might be fun to think up an entire regional Pokédex featuring CAP characters and other fakemon... we could use the current Gen IV CAP's and add Gen V CAP's as we go along, gradually expanding the dex. In keeping with the spirit of CAP, it would probably end up being a Dex with no existing Pokémon (kinda like the Unova Dex, and following cues from Battle CAPacity). Plus it could also be cool to think up legendaries using the CAP process (or a similar process).

Thoughts?

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, I'm not CAP PR guy, but it seems cool. However, we would need a LOT more CAPs first. And it's not really a competitive project, so it might be lacking support. Honestly, this might do well as a Fakemon region in Smeargle's Studio.

Well, I'm not CAP PR guy, but it seems cool. However, we would need a LOT more CAPs first. And it's not really a competitive project, so it might be lacking support. Honestly, this might do well as a Fakemon region in Smeargle's Studio.

I was actually thinking that the "remaining slots" would be filled with Pokémon designed "backwards"; instead of being designed to fill a competitive niche, they could be designed to ecological niches filled by Pokes from previous generations (so you have your common rodent, common bird, etc.), and afterwards have their stats and movepools designed to be realistically reminiscent of an actual Pokémon region.

About doing it as a region in Smeargle's Studio... I'm not sure how things are about whether you're allowed to use the CAPs in your own Fakemon region, I started my own Fakedex (a Johto-like extension of the Unova dex) and originally wanted to use Arghonaut as the water starter final evo since he's just that awesome (with Arghon as the second stage), but didn't want to use other people's work, so I settled for a UFC-fighting pistol shrimp. (He'd have to get axed anyway if we used CAP's because his concept is too similar to Krillowatt.)

I'd love to start this as a collaborative, board-wide project if the CAPs can be used, but the question is, can they?

I'm pretty sure that if you want, you can use the CAPs however you like (if you credit of course), but I don't think that CAP can support this, as CAP is focused on competitive battling, and generally does not mesh well with non-competitive aspects.
Basically DetroitLolCat's explanation.

A Pokedex for the Cap already exists on the site.

And the project is geared for the Competitive play of Pokemon which means we only make the Caps to learn about the competitive game. We don't fill any ecological niches. We might add any of those elements (including pre-evos) after the process is over, but when making them, we strictly aim to keep as much of these "flavor" matters out of it.

However, I don't visit it much, but maybe you can try your idea here where flavor topics are allowed. And yeah, as they said, Smeargle's Studio might be a place as well.

A Pokedex for the Cap already exists on the site.

And the project is geared for the Competitive play of Pokemon which means we only make the Caps to learn about the competitive game. We don't fill any ecological niches. We might add any of those elements (including pre-evos) after the process is over, but when making them, we strictly aim to keep as much of these "flavor" matters out of it.

However, I don't visit it much, but maybe you can try your idea here where flavor topics are allowed. And yeah, as they said, Smeargle's Studio might be a place as well.
Thanks :) That looks like a good place for the topic, and a fun group to join :D

Legendaries? Have you seen the BSTs of the existing CAPs?

Pokemon....BST....Rank (among real non-legendary, non-pseduo legendary pokemon without a hindering ability)
Krilowatt....570....1 by a lot
Collosoil.....565....1
Syclant.....555.....tied with Arcanine for 1st
Fidgit........555.....tied for 1st with Arcanine
Arghonaut..555....tied for 1st with Arcanine
Voodoom....550....tied for 2nd with Volcorona
Cyclohm.....548....3, behind Volcorona then Arcanine
Pyroak.......540....tied for 4th behind Togekiss(545), Volcorona(550) and Arcanine(555)
Stratagem..535....tied for 13th with 8 others
Revenankh..534....tied with Charizard, Infernape and Typlosion for 21st
Kitsunoh.....513....69, the only around average ranking

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, the CAPs have really high stats...Krilowatt could be part of a legend trio if you give it 10 BST somewhere, but let's just forget about Krilowatt...

This would actually be pretty cool, making a whole region with new pokemon and just like what alot of people have done with some rom hacks. While it seems like a cool idea Smogon is usually a competitive community and this seems like something the community wouldn't embrace. However I'm all for it personally.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's a waste of time.
CAPs are designed entirely with a competitive mindset, and while people have put them in ROM Hacks, we will never have a practical use for a CAPDex. If someone wants to build a new dex with CAPmons for their ROM Hack, they can probably do it by themselves. This would waste time and effort

I agree, it would be fun and interesting, but would serve zero real purpose.

But the family is a story based on my Zubat Pokemon! Blue, I was Lv. 250 Golbat. Sprites and blue paskalla scared me when I was little. The money was one of the Pokemon Crobat me because I do not know, good luck.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Zebstrika, you've completely forgot about Aakeosu, who has a BST of 567. (I'm assuming you're doing 5th Gen, since Urugamosu is there)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)