Other (CAP RMT) XVII

XVII
An Adventure in Heavy Offense (And Rev)

Introduction:

This team started out with a very simple premise. Much of the CAP metagame these days is marked by balanced teams, setting up entry hazards and preparing for an eventual sweep by something big, like LOSoil, Metagross, or others. Furthermore, CAP Stall exists and is in full swing, especially with secondary-stopping support in the form of Rebound Colossoil.
I wanted to take all of this out of the equation and try something I've never done before - make a team that's all about kicking the shit out of everything and anything as soon as it pops up. For this reason, you'll notice this team is marked by its Life Orbs, its type-coverage, its raw power, and its ability to be very, very hard to switch into. The team has been incredibly successful in my time using it, getting an alt to #1 on the leaderboard and hitting a CRE of 1763. Anyways, without further ado, welcome to XVII.
XVII.jpg

At a Glance:

As an offensive team, the most important thing is entry hazards at the get-go. I've been playing a lot and noticing just how important things like Spikes are in this metagame to make switches that much harder for the opponent. Because of this, I made a very hard decision in skipping Stealth Rock entirely and focusing on Spikes as my primary mode of entry hazards. This originally made me think that I'd be left open to endless switch-ins by Pokemon like Salamence, but with Stratagem, Kitsunoh, and even Gyarados, they just can't keep coming in forever. About the only truly safe switch-in for Salamence is Revenankh, and if he's got a Bulk Up or two under his belt he can safely wall Mence to kingdom come. (Assuming no crits)

One other advantage to this offensive team is the presence of two Ghost-types that can function as midgame spinblockers as needed. A spin is generally very predictable, and at least one of my ghosts can take on any of the spinners in the metagame. At worst, I have to pivot around my spinblockers to something that can threaten the spinner immediately. Between Colossoil and Kitsunoh, virtually no spinner escapes alive.

Individually:

I (Syclant) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
Spikes
Taunt
Ice Shard
Megahorn

Syclant starts the game off with the speed and momentum the team needs. He can perform a myriad of tasks, all resulting in the enemy's lead falling short of its goals - hopefully. Generally speaking, he gets down 2 layers of spikes without a problem and, if I'm particularly good at predicting my opponent, possibly kill something. His Spikes make the sweeps from later Pokemon in my team possible and discourage the opponent from switching out of my sweepers once they're in.

This is a list of the most common CAP leads and my response to each.
Aerodactyl:
Usually leads with Taunt, so I will Ice Shard for the 2HKO. Either it gets up SR or it prevents me from getting up Spikes. In the rare chance it attacks, I survive with Sash and 2HKO no problem.
Azelf:
Megahorn followed by Ice Shard kills it. Generally, as its slower, I will Taunt to keep it from doing the same to me. If I mispredict, however, it can 2HKO me when I Taunt it. TrickScarf variants are annoying, but if I Megahorn I OHKO them on the spot as they give me their Scarf. If they U-turn, I might be in trouble depending on the switch-in.
Empoleon:
Empoleon is a worse Metagross against this Syclant. I will Spikes until I die, which might even let me get 3 layers if Hydro Pump misses. If he goes for the Stealth Rock, I get at least 2 layers.

<N/A> Fidgit:
Taunt it, hoping to block SR or something like that. If it attacks with Earth Power, you resist and can still set up a few layers before it takes you down.
Jirachi:
Switch out immediately to Gyarados or Kitsunoh, expecting the Iron Head. Kitsunoh has the advantage of also beating Thunder Wave lead variants, but it doesn't like those that lead with Fire Punch.

<N/A> Kitsunoh:
If it's a lead, it's using a Scarf. Spikes in its face and get up a few layers before getting taken down (depending on if it U-turns out or just attacks). If it attacks, after getting a single layer, I might switch out and try to get another layer later on.
Metagross:
An extremely dangerous lead that Syclant has lots of trouble with. If I Taunt first turn and he attacks, I get no layers up because of Bullet Punch. If I set up a layer, though, and he SRs on the first turn, then I get lots of layers but he also gets his up. He's probably going to go for the attack, though, so I set up a layer on the spot and then Taunt in case he tries to SR.
Pyroak:
Megahorn 2HKOs some variants, but fails against ones with heavy defensive investment like the standard LeadOak. If it hits you with Sleep Powder it's going to force you out. Stratagem obliterates it, though. Gyarados can also set up on it once Syclant takes the sleep. Generally its best to Taunt turn 1 and then set up a single layer of spikes as it kills you. That way it fails at SR, Sleeping a team member, and Strata can OHKO it with AncientPower.
Skarmory:
Taunt and set up on it. If it's Scarf'd, it gets up one layer before I can Taunt it. That's the best can be done. Hopefully it won't try to Brave Bird me on the spot, though, since that generally prevents me from getting any layers up if I Taunt and it's Scarf'd. Fortunately, lots of stuff can set up on it in my team either way.
Starmie:
Megahorn OHKOs all variants and you outspeed it unless it's got a Scarf. TrickScarf can be annoying if it sends its Scarf to you as you Megahorn it, although it makes you obscenely fast for setting up Spikes later on.

<N/A> Stratagem:
Megahorn immediately and then Ice Shard to finish it off. It only beats you if it's carrying Vacuum Wave in the lead slot, which is incredibly rare. This usually leaves Syclant too weak to really set much up besides a single layer of Spikes if it attacked, but if it used SR I can get more.
Swampert:
Syclant can't 2HKO it, but he can Taunt it and get up 2 layers of Spikes before going down. Resisting both Ice Beam and Earthquake make this an easy set up by suiciding Syclant.
Syclant:
Taunt it on the speed tie and hope to win. If you lose the speed tie, switch to Stratagem and AncientPower + Vacuum Wave it to end it. Gyarados can also set up on it no problem.

II (Gyarados) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Dragon Dance
Earthquake /
Bounce
Waterfall
Stone Edge

Gyarados' role on the team is very straight-forward. It checks a few threats and then goes on a rampage to kill as much as it can before getting taken down. It will generally take a few key threats down before being brought down itself, paving the way for Stratagem, Colossoil, or Revenankh to clean up. It is perhaps the most important reason for me to try to keep SR off the field with Syclant, as once it's down it limits Gyarados' usability tremendously. Bounce is used to beat those pesky Arghonaut. Waterfall is obvious STAB, and DD is there to set up and maul unprepared teams with the switches Gyarados can force. Stone Edge is specifically chosen over Earthquake to OHKO opposing Salamence and Gyarados who might cause massive trouble to my team otherwise. I like having as much insurance against those big guys as possible, since they're so common. Stone Edge also scares off Pyroak. Bounce used to be the primary option over Earthquake, but with the rise in SubPunch Arghonaut and SubSeed Pyroak, Bounce on Gyarados becomes setup bait. For this reason, Earthquake is chosen to hit a bunch of things, like Kitsunoh, extremely hard.

Gyarados' rampage is usually early in the game, as he both handles the leads that Syclant has trouble with and keeps up with the pace of killing things as fast as possible.

III (Stratagem) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spe / 252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
Ancientpower
Giga Drain
Vacuum Wave
Flamethrower

This is perhaps the most forgotten and underrated set Stratagem can run. The analysis suggests to run Calm Mind for when it forces a switch, but to hell with that; the goal here is to kill everything. The 4th slot being open paves the way for Stratagem to use its excellent, Technician-boosted priority move, Vacuum Wave. Because Stratagem is coming in after something dies usually and almost never switches in, Technician is the ability of choice and Ancientpower, Giga Drain, and Vacuum Wave are chosen to go with it. Technician Vacuum Wave will also surprise Colossoil who think they can catch you with Sucker Punch.

Giga Drain OHKOs 100% Swampert 100% of the time, Flamethrower is chosen to destroy things like Skarmory, Bronzong, Jirachi, and Metagross. You'll notice that I lack Earth Power on this set, which leaves Ancientpower as my best option against Heatran. This is okay, though, since with Spikes support it still OHKOs. Also, God help the enemy's team if their Revenankh/Blissey is dead and you pick up an Ancientpower boost.

This Stratagem typically functions as my cleanup crew and midgame sweeper. Little can stop him outside of my mispredicting against something, Blissey, and Revenankh, and I've got the tools to crack those two wide open with my last few Pokemon.

IV (Colossoil) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
Earthquake
Sucker Punch
Pursuit
Selfdestruct

Standard LOColossoil. It's standard because it's monstrous, netting at least two kills a game when played right. The combination of Sucker Punch and Pursuit break down things like Starmie and Latias if it can get in. It also provides an excellent pivot for Gyarados if something threatens an Electric-type attack. They're basically toast if they're choiced on that Electric-attack and have to switch out in the face of STAB Pursuit. Earthquake is excellent here to deal with Heatran and a myriad of other things, as well as solidly 2HKOing every Blissey out there. Speaking of Blissey, you've really got to scout for CounterBliss first before going for the kill with EQ. Selfdestruct gives you the edge if you have to explode on Blissey and it is trying to catch you with Counter. It's definitely worth it losing Colossoil to take down Blissey. Furthermore, if Guts boosted, Selfdestruct even OHKOs some Skarmory if it comes to that.

He tends to rip the midgame wide open, as almost nothing can switch in safely against it. Since Salamence loves to switch in and try to set up on Colossoil, it's excellent to note that even a -1 Selfdestruct will end offensive Salamence - even without SR on the field. (God I love you, Colossoil)

V (Revenankh) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
Bulk Up
Shadow Sneak
Hammer Arm
Rest

Fine, so I have one mostly defensive Pokemon on my team!

Revenankh is the only defensive pivot on the entire team. He is a monster of a special wall and is EV'd to maximize that potential no matter what. Because Bulk Up will pump his defense anyways and he gets lots of opportunities to set it up, only 4 EVs are placed in defense. Shadow Sneak and Hammer Arm are chosen for a mix of priority and high damage after a few Bulk Ups. Revenankh serves an important purpose on my team, giving me a 100% reliable switch-in to opposing special attacking monsters and immediately scaring them away to give me free switch-ins.

Double switching with Revenankh is a popular strategy for me, especially against those nasty Rapid Spinners that try to get rid of my Spikes. Revenankh also doubles as a destructive war machine in the later stages of the match if it can pick up 3-6 Bulk Ups, as then basically nothing can kill it without a critical hit or a STAB super effective special attack. Revenankh also plays an important role in beating some members of stall that survive Gyarados, Stratagem, and Colossoil rampages. Blissey will not want to stay in against this Revenankh at all.

As you might have noticed, Stall in general is a pain to much of my team. With proper switching and some entry hazards of their own, they can whittle me down rapidly and force me to die a miserable death. Arghonaut, Blissey, and Skarmory in particular are nasty Pokemon to have to deal with. All of this ties into the last member of my team, who singlehandedly gives every single one of them something to worry about.

VI (Kitsunoh) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Limber
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spe
ShadowStrike
Taunt
Will-O-Wisp
Superpower

The Stallbreaker Kitsunoh in all of its glory returns to put stall in its place once more. A fast Taunt combined with burn support and an excellent defense-reducing STAB make this thing devastating to all forms of stall. Superpower is chosen over Earthquake for this set to actually hit Skarmory hard and to be able to murder Colossoil that are at just under 75% life. It also gives Kitsunoh an excellent option to bring down Blissey in one hit when the chance presents itself.

Basically, stall has no chance at accomplishing its goals until this thing dies, so keeping it alive is incredibly important. With my spikes down, there's little even Colossoil and Fidgit spinners can do to beat me if they have to switch in a few times. With Revenankh in the wings, I have a defensive pivot I can use against Colossoil that carry Rapid Spin, since Hammer Arm will put it in its place. Kitsunoh finally functions as my primary mode of beating Bulk Up Revenankh, who can threaten any unprepared team with its immense power and resilience.

Final Glance:

I had one main thing I wanted to test about the metagame when I started the process of building and playing this team.
Is heavy offense effective in a metagame riddled with balanced teams and where CAP stall is doing great?
As can likely be seen from the success of this team, I learned the answer to that question handily. Heavy offense is obscenely effective, especially with the monster that is Colossoil running amok. Backed by perhaps the best stallbreaker to have ever graced the OU tier in Kitsunoh and Stratagem to take advantage of the holes made, not a lot can stand in the way of a good player making good predictions with a team like this - especially not CAP stall.

Thanks for reading this far, I hope you enjoyed my team! Feedback is welcome!
Cheers!

Attachments

This team looks great and the only real problem I can see would be a ScarfSoil as it can Ko and everything except Revy (whom takes upwards of 43-51% meaning a 2ko with one layer of Spikes and SR) You could fix this by given Revy Mach Punch and Shadow Claw instead of your current set, it has the same coverage (duh.) but it allows you to beat Collosoil, Stratgem, and other Revy much more easily.

also I'm on the leaderboard ya :)

If I can get a few layers of Spikes down (common), with Gyarados checking ScarfSoil, I can wear it down to the stage where Stratagem's Vacuum Wave will destroy it. (Hits for 65% on average, so two switch-ins to 2 layers of spikes will do it in) Since it tends to lead initially with U-turn, this is made relatively easy to accomplish. Revenankh's Hammer Arm takes it out in a pinch if necessary, though it's generally pretty easy to play around. Also, if Syclant somehow survives the initial turns, it can beat up Colossoil pretty bad with its Ice Shard. Also, Strata has no way to punch through Rev anyways without using Trick. Finally, opposing BU Rev tend to fall short against my Kitsunoh that 2HKOs even +1 variants.

I don't think I would want to give up Hammer Arm on Rev, simply because it maims things like Tyranitar, Strata, and Blissey immediately.
xdevo13 said:
also I'm on the leaderboard ya :)
Yay! :)

Thanks for the comments!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)