[Gen6] CAP Role Compendium

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Idea taken from the OU Role Compendium
Written with the help of QueenOfLuvdiscs, sparktrain, and Tadasuke

The purpose of this thread is to provide a visual guide to the roles and uses of Pokemon in the CAP metagame. We hope that this thread will be a helpful resource for both new and old players, as they could simply glance at this list to get an idea of what a given Pokemon can do. This isn't a definitive list and there may very well be Pokemon or roles we've forgot to include, so feel free to post your suggestions in this thread. Please refrain from posting unviable or gimmicky Pokemon, such as Galvantula or Regice, or Pokemon that are severely outclassed, such as Florges.

This thread is not meant to serve as an in depth dissection of a Pokemon's viability, rather it is a visual representation of common roles and various Pokemon that may perform them.

The Pokemon have been ordered in alphabetical order for convenience.
Mega Pokemon:

Suicide Leads

Hazard Setters
Stealth Rock

Spikes

Toxic Spikes

Sticky Web

Hazard Control
Defog

Rapid Spin

Prevention

Stallbreakers

Wallbreakers

Pivots
Offensive

Defensive

U-turn

Volt Switch

Baton Pass

Choice Users
Choice Scarf

Choice Band

Choice Specs

Clerics
Healing Wish / Lunar Dance

Wish

Aromatherapy / Heal Bell

Boost Removers
Hazers

Phazers

Unaware

Trappers
Pursuit

Ability

Priority

Screen Setters

Setup Sweepers / Passers
Belly Drum

Dragon Dance

Quiver Dance

Calm Mind

Swords Dance

Tail Glow

Bulk Up

Nasty Plot

Agility / Rock Polish

Other

Walls
Special

Physical

Mixed

Assault Vest Users

Revenge Killers

Fairy Checks

Flying Checks

Dark Checks

Water Checks

Field Effects
Weather Setters

Rain abusers

Sand abusers

Trick Room Setters

Trick Room Abusers

Last edited:

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why on earth is Kyogre in suicide leads...
A very good question. Not really sure what would make it fit in that role. Oh, and its not legal...

On a different note, the Stallbreaker group needs more Mew. It is super good at that.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Kyrogre was in suicide leagues cause I typed 382 instead of 392 in the BB Code Editor. Its been rightfully replaced with Infernape, and Mew has been added to the Stallbreaker group.

If you guys see anything else that seems off or should be added please post it here; I'll be making continuous updates to this as new suggestions are made.

Looks pretty solid to me, as for possible additions:

Plasmanta can be added for Defoggers, although it doesn't use the move too often, it can still be a pretty reliable clearer if you need one with plenty of switch-in opportunities.
Mollux could be added to Rain abusers, although not overly reliant on Rain like the other Pokemon there, Mollux still really enjoys it thanks to the free healing from Dry Skin.
Tomohawk could be added to Weather setters, I've seen several Rain teams with Prankster Rain Dance Tomohawk as a backup plan whenever Politoed is in trouble/fainted already.
Lastly, I think Volkraken should be added to Choice Scarfers, it makes up for it's only 'ok' Speed while still keeping a big bunch of its huge damage intact. It's a very common set as well.

I'll try to think of more when I have the time.

Minor error post here, but You have added the sprite of Normal Gardevoir in Dark checks instead of its mega.

Also, I think normal Chomp should be listed alongside Mega Chomp in wallbreakers, it still has a decent attack stat and it has a better speed stat too, makin it usable there.

Apart from that, it seems solid. Great work!

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
BigWigs said:
Plasmanta can be added for Defoggers, although it doesn't use the move too often, it can still be a pretty reliable clearer if you need one with plenty of switch-in opportunities.
Plasmanta cannot learn Defog.

I also think Tomohawk should be added to the Weather Setters category, as prankster makes it efficient at the job. On rain teams in particular, Tomohawk can be a secondary setter.

I cannot express in words how useful this will be for many potential CAP meta newbies.
Great job!

As a sidenote, the order seems somewhat questionable. never mind - just realised its in alphabetical order, but maybe we could consider putting them into order of use/usefulness? This is because people will start looking from the start, and I would hate for anyone to be under the impression that Celebi is a better setter than Tomohawk, or something similar.

Looks great cbrevan, glad I could help contribute to this!

I agree with a lot of the above suggestions, especially the weather-related ones such as Mollux. Weather abusers don't necessarily need to benefit offensively to take advantage of a weather (though Mollux can run Thunder); Pokemon that primarily benefit defensively from a weather (such as from Dry Skin healing) should also be included in my opinion. On another note, the Setup Sweepers section could potentially be renamed Setup Sweepers / Passers; a few of the Pokemon listed are mainly used to pass the boosts to their teammates rather than taking advantage of the boosts themselves. Bulk Up Tomohawk is a good example.

KhosroTheGreat, we did consider organizing the Pokemon by their viability in each role (I was originally in favor of this), but we ultimately decided on listing them alphabetically, mainly so the thread wouldn't devolve into arguing over which Pokemon is a better Spikes user, which Pokemon is a better Choice Scarf user, and so on for each role. I do think it'd be worthwhile to mention that the order is alphabetical somewhere in the OP to avoid confusion.

Fidgit learns Toxic Spikes and is one of the better setters of it, you ought to include it in there. Also could be included in Phazers due to access to Whirlwind and being a decent user of it.

When I come up with other things to add I'll shoot you on PS. Thanks for making this thread, it's really helpful.

Gonna revive this with something I think might be worth talking about: Adding Trick Room in the weather section? It's more relevant in CAP than in OU thanks to Fidgit, so I think Fidgit should be added to 'Weather Setters', while Pokemon such as Azumarill, Mega Camerupt, and Reuniclus could be added to a new, 'Trick Room Abusers' section.

Reuniclus and Slowking should be added to Trick Room setters then, because they are great secondary trick room users.

Recommending Hoopa-U to Wallbreaker, Choice Scarf users, Nasty Plot/Calm Mind setup sweepers, and Trick Room user/abuser.

On the note of Trick Room, Dragalge, Crawdaunt, and possibly even Rhyperior would be good to list under Abusers.

Tempted to recommend Cofa, but I'll skip on that.

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
Clefable should be mixed wall, as 252 HP 160 Defense 96 Special Defense Calm is a standard magic guard set.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
I've gone ahead and made some slight updates to this, including the addition of Hoopa-U and a Trick Room section along with some other rain abusers. I also added some other small things I caught.

Also removed all Smeargle mentions since its not viable at all and lost its only niche with the bp nerf.

Last edited:
Stratagem ought to get mention as a suicide lead, as Focus Sash + Stealth Rock can be used as a specially offensive lead. If Froslass can get in there, I think Stratagem ought to get recognition as one.

Celebi ought to be added under Swords Dance, as it's another option in place of Nasty Plot.

I think Unaware should be added as a section under Boost Removers. It only has three members, Clefable/Arghonaut/Quagsire, but it's notable and quite important to a few teams.

A few small suggestions:

Add Aurumoth to the wallbreakers section, LO Mixed Attacker / LO TG both do exactly that.
Jirachi can be added to Choice Scarf users, its wide movepool, typing, and good Speed tier make it a good pivot and revenge killer.
Mega Scizor is listed twice under Dark Checks.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm a bit confused on why Slowking is mentioned as a TR setter but not Aromatisse. Also, Mega Ampharos could be added to abusers.

OK, big-ass thingy coming because I wanna start CAP-ing more

Whilst not the best, Skarmory is able to get at least one set of hazards thanks to his Sturdy ability and along with its Custap berry it can block defogs with Brave Bird recoil, beat Diancie with Iron Head or set up a layer of spikes. Thanks to Skarmories(?) good bulk, he has the ability to beat almost all Physical leads and set up the amazing Stealth Rocks as well as Spikes. He can also hard-wall Colossoil if he decides to come in to spin hazards unless he carries some HP fire craziness
Code:
Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Iron Head

Stratagem ought to get mention as a suicide lead, as Focus Sash + Stealth Rock can be used as a specially offensive lead. If Froslass can get in there, I think Stratagem ought to get recognition as one.
I second this.

Bisharp is a bit of a niche setter, but it does a unique role. It has the ability to discourage Defog even more than a suicide lead like Azelf thanks to the fact that with the right plays, a +2 Bisharp can really dent a team, especially with priority which is as powerful as Extreeme speed. However, Rebound Colossoil would LOVE to switch in on this. However, it still performs roles, especially well with Focus Sash and can also set up rocks middle or late game which other pokemon struggle to do.
Code:
Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Do I really have to explain Aggron-Mega? No? Bad luck, I'm doing it anyway. Aggron-mega is an amazing wall, whilst the steel typing isn't the best in this metagame with Colossoil and Tomohawk running around, Maggron has the ability of Filter, allowing it to take a quarter less damage from a Super Effective attack, thanks to its non-existent recovery, this is very important. With its ability to phase a lot of fast attackers well thanks to the threat of Paralysis, he can easily set up rocks on the switch, unless that switch is rebound Colossoil, in that case, he's hard-walled.
Code:
Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Roar
- Heavy Slam
- Stealth Rock

Yet again, its pretty obvious why this guy should be added, but screw it, I want to look smart. This is one of the Rock-setters who can legitimately threaten Colossoil, be it once he's been on the field for more than one turn. Gliscor can hard-wall Colossoil and set up after the switch-in to avoid the Rebound for the Stealth Rocks. Even if it is Guts Colossoil, Earthquake along with the Flame Orb recoil can end wearing Colossoil out. However, Gliscor can struggle with opposing Ice Type Hazard setters, especially ones like Scylant and Frostlass.
Code:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost

Mollux is already classed as a Toxic-Spiker thanks to its ability to Phase out a lot of water types, it can also do very well on the Stealth-Rock front, allowing a set-up on a switch and this can also allow Mollux to deal with flying types a bit better. Whilst he struggles against Spinners and Defoggers, there are options like Sub Gengar to hit Colossoil and Tomohawk whilst blocking their Spin. Overall, Mollux has no reason not to be added to the Stealth Rock section when it already fills the role for a wall and a Toxic Spiker.
Code:
Mollux @ Leftovers
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Lava Plume
- Recover

Whilst he doesn't do too much, Defensive Roserade can block the ever-present Fairy Type thanks to its great typing and hit back with a pretty powerful Sludge Bomb. Whilst you could argue that Mollux fills the same role but better, Roaserade has access to very nice utility moves including Leech Seed and Sleep Powder which gives it a nice niche which can send a major threat to sleep and proceed to stack spikes. Along with this, Roserade can beat Colossoil and doesn't have the weakness to Status that Mollux possesses.
Code:
Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed

Togekiss isn't the best Defogger out there but deserves a mention. It first has the coveted Fairy Typing which takes down common darks like Sableye (soon to be banned though) and Tyranitar. Along with this, he is complemented by the great ground resist and acess to thunder wave, making Togekiss a very anti-meta threat as he hits the two biggest CAPs for super effective and has enough bulk to harm a lot of the others. With acess to Air Slash, Nasty Plot Toge can be a WinCon in a lot of conditions thanks to its ability to beat so many Bulky teams.
Code:
Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Defog
- Air Cutter

(+ Offensive and Defensive Pivot)
Crobat is the fastest defogger and hell for stall or walls. Becuause of this, it counters the likes of Mollux, Pyroark, and Clefable to name a few, this allows it to come in on a number of leads and taunt them off, making life a plain misery for them. This, along with the fact that Crobat is one of the best pivots and can outspeed next to the whole unboosted metagame makes crobat an amazing threat, especially in CAP.
Code:
Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt

Watch this space, I may add more

Last edited:

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
Added Lead Stratagem, SD Celebi, an Unaware section, Wallbreaker Aurumoth, Choice Scarf Jirachi, fixed the Mega Scizors, added Trick Room Setter Aromatisse, Lead Skamory, Stealth Rock Bisharp, Stealth Rock Gliscor, Stealth Rock Mollux, and Defog Togekiss.

I decided against adding Roserade, Mega Aggron, and Crobat to this compendium since they're all pretty bad and are outclassed by other Pokemon in their respective fields.

You can use hide tags instead of spoilers; its simply hide in brackets instead of

Maybe adding Hoopa and Hoopa-U to Assault Vest users might be a good idea. I've experimented with it, and both do a great job at pulling it off.

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
Life Orb is definitely the superior set, the reason why it's so high up in there in the viability rankings. It's job is to break balanced and stall teams, which it cannot do with AV

Since we have Shuckle listed in suicide leads, Necturna should definitely be in there too. I think most would agree Necturna's the better Sticky Web lead all around, regardless of whether it opts for bulk or a simple offensive spread. Even though it can't run both Sticky Web and Stealth Rock on the same set, its other attributes are much more helpful than Shuckle's. For one, it's much less passive, as it can actively deter spinners like Colossoil and Starmie from switching in and trying to KO it thanks to its high Attack and Grass STAB (being immune to Rapid Spin doesn't hurt either), and it can deter many other entry hazard removers or threats in general from coming in with Will-O-Wisp. Furthermore, a weakened Necturna can still serve a purpose later in the match thanks to Shadow Sneak... and its not-completely-terrible Speed tier means it's much more likely to get Webs up a second time if necessary, whereas a weakened Shuckle is basically death fodder at best.

Basically, add Necturna to leads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)