is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/cap/server/connection_guide

Connecting to the Create-A-Pokémon Server
Updating the db files
Updating the db files(Mac)
Connecting to the Server

Updating the db files

Click this link: CAP db files update
The link should lead you to a mediafire download. Click the "Click here to start download", and a screen should pop up.

Save it to your computer, and then right click the archive and choose "Extract files". When prompted to give a directory to install it in, choose your Pokemon Online folder.

It should ask you if you want to replace the existing folder. Click Yes.

Now you should have the necessary db files to play with CaP project's Pokemon!

Updating the db files (Mac)

The link should lead you to a mediafire download. Click the "Click here to start download", and the download will either start automatically or a screen will pop up depending on your browser. If the screen pops up choose "Save File" and click "OK".

Once the file is downloaded, open your "Downloads" folder and double-click the "db.zip" file to extract the "db" folder.

->

Next, open the folder enclosing the Pokemon-Online application. Right click the Pokemon-Online icon and select "Open Package Contents".

Navigate to the "Resources" folder. Drag the new "db" folder into this folder and when the window pops up select "Replace". If the window does not pop up, simply put the "db" folder already in the "Resources" folder in the Trash first, then drag the new "db" folder in.

Connecting to the Server

Now that you have the db files, you should be able to play with the new Pokemon. Start the Pokemon Online client. You should see "CaP server" on the list. If for some reason it isn't there, in advanced, type the address of the server into the input box below Advanced Connection.

IP: 184.91.46.219
Port: 5080

Sometimes the IP doesn't work correctly, so if that doesn't work, type this address instead:
Address:
createapokemon.servegame.com

Voila! You have connected to the CaP server!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Images need to be redone and hosted.

This is finished.

I like that setting up this stuff is so much easier than what it took to make it work on SB1. Anyway, it really is this simple, and this is a good thing to have. Eventually we should be able to get a more permanent download location on-site, but for the moment (especially given how turbulent the server files are now with updates happening often) I think this is a good solution.

Since this page pretty much hinges on the images, I'll have to get them uploaded before I upload this. That means that this may sit here for a day or two.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps a screenshot without four files of roms/emulators in your filing system would be better. Otherwise, good. Got what it needs.

My IP is not stable, so I have set this up: createapokemon.servegame.com as "my" IP.

This service worked for shoddybattle so I'm gonna guess it'll work for pokemon online.

edit: confirmed that it works.

Uploaded some new images for this:

I'll do a bit of rewriting in a bit and upload this. I'll also bother someone to upload these images to the site as well beforehand.

Uh, I have a Mac OS X.

I compressed the folder into an archive, but it's not giving me the option to overwrite my Pokemon Online folder.

help please

I also have OSX. Right click the Pokemon Online application, then select "Show Package Contents". The db folder will be in "Resources", all you have to do is drag the new db into "Resources" and select "replace".

Destiny Warrior, maybe this should be mentioned in the guide? (or if people think it's necessary I could probably write a proper guide for mac users?)

Edit: This is if you are using the Mac version, some people also use the Windows version in Wine – for this just find the pokemon online folder in Wine Files and drag and replace "db" into that folder.

Hey, I tried both the IP and the url, but I can't connect to the server. Has it been going up and down lately?

Those addresses in the OP are outdated from before the server was switched to me from Captain. The server has not gone down since I've taken it up, though you'd need a different IP address to connect. Currently it is:

IP: 184.91.46.219
Port: 5080
Paradox said:
I also have OSX. Right click the Pokemon Online application, then select "Show Package Contents". The db folder will be in "Resources", all you have to do is drag the new db into "Resources" and select "replace".

Destiny Warrior, maybe this should be mentioned in the guide? (or if people think it's necessary I could probably write a proper guide for mac users?)
If there are special tricks to get it to work on the Max OSX, I'd love for them to be in the guide.

Updating db files for Mac OSX
Mostly c&p'd from Destiny Warrior
PS: Darkamber had some trouble in that the computer wouldn't allow the original db folder to be modified. If anyone knows what could have caused that it would be appreciated! (It apparently wasn't lack of administrator rights or having the application running or anything like that).
PPS: I can also do another guide for people running the window's version of PO through Wine (which I usually do since the mac version crashes on my comp sometimes) its mostly the same with a few small differences.. But, I'm don't know if anyone else actually uses that version, if anyone speaks up or if you think I should do it "just in case" its no problem, I just don't want to make any unnecessary clutter.
---------------------------

Updating the db files (Mac)

The link should lead you to a mediafire download. Click the "Click here to start download", and the download will either start automatically or a screen will pop up depending on your browser. If the screen pops up choose "Save File" and click "OK".

Once the file is downloaded, open your "Downloads" folder and double-click the "db.zip" file to extract the "db" folder.

->

Next, open the folder enclosing the Pokemon-Online application. Right click the Pokemon-Online icon and select "Open Package Contents".

Navigate to the "Resources" folder. Drag the new "db" folder into this folder and when the window pops up select "Replace". If the window does not pop up, simply put the "db" folder already in the "Resources" folder in the Trash first, then drag the new "db" folder in.

That's excellent! And if you think that the differences for running Windows on WINE are substantial enough I don't mind the extra sections in this article. This is purely informative and all additions, where useful, are totally worth it.

Okay, I have uploaded this article with some fixes. I will get the images hosted permanently on-site within a few days, but since concept submissions started I really wanted to be able to put up a news announcement (and thus have the connection guide ready for users). Thanks for the hard work guys.

P.S. Paradox, if you think the WINE version is really necessary just go ahead and post it here. I'll leave this thread open until I get the images uploaded, which will take ~1-2 days.

It's pretty simple, only the last step is different (maybe it could just be added as a note or something)
---------------------------

Updating the db files (Mac, WINE)

->

Next, navigate to the "Pokemon-Online" folder within "Wine Files". Drag the new "db" folder into this folder and when the window pops up select "Replace". If the window does not pop up, simply put the "db" folder already in the "Resources" folder in the Trash first, then drag the new "db" folder in.

I updated the article to include that stuff, but didn't reuse the images since they take up a lot of space. I was going to use the last image, but it's far too large horizontally for our website and loses too much detail when shrunk. I've included a blurb about Wine, though, and the process to update it as you described above. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)